ADVERTISEMENT

Great editorial by Carson Cunningham

That was great. This explains exactly why I've rolled my eyes every time in the past year I've heard someone say our season comes down to the NCAA tournament. We'd all like to see success there but I would never reduce Purdue basketball down to that. CC does a great job in showing all the elements that make up Purdue basketball and how it means more than a game or two in March.

That was great. This explains exactly why I've rolled my eyes every time in the past year I've heard someone say our season comes down to the NCAA tournament. We'd all like to see success there but I would never reduce Purdue basketball down to that. CC does a great job in showing all the elements that make up Purdue basketball and how it means more than a game or two in March.
is there a pill we can give the non-seer's? A magic spell or potion?
Sure would be nice if most of your fellow fans could see this perspective.
Yeh, really nice piece with good insights.

And exactly why I would NEVER trade our program for one like Izzo’s. Anyone who actually has a Purdue degree would agree.

I must be too simple to comprehend the article's true insight, but I did like his reflections on his time with the program, teammates and NCAA tournament.

I did learn he has 6 kids and has written 5 books. I didn't know that.

Reactions: tjreese
the line about the McQuay's and being twins is totally CC humor. He's a funny dude. Extremely intelligent. Pretty much the only male in his family without a degree from Notre Dame. I remember in grade school he didn't even play in our youth leagues. His dad drove him to Gary and he played CYO for a Gary church. His older brother played for Bishop Noll just after they had the McCoy's.

Speaking of Big Dog and Brantley, I was at the '91 East Chicago Regional Championship between Gary Roosevelt and Andrean. Man, that Rooselvelt team and Robinson were tough. And they had a rabid fanbase. It's weird nowadays to see the Barrato Center in East Chicago sit 3/4 empty for big basketball games.

There were some great games at ECW back in the mid-late 70’s. The 77-78 school year in Region hoops was off the chart. But somehow, Merrillville with Seneff and Jelesky represented the Region at Semi-State.

the line about the McQuay's and being twins is totally CC humor. He's a funny dude. Extremely intelligent. Pretty much the only male in his family without a degree from Notre Dame. I remember in grade school he didn't even play in our youth leagues. His dad drove him to Gary and he played CYO for a Gary church. His older brother played for Bishop Noll just after they had the McCoy's.

Speaking of Big Dog and Brantley, I was at the '91 East Chicago Regional Championship between Gary Roosevelt and Andrean. Man, that Rooselvelt team and Robinson were tough. And they had a rabid fanbase. It's weird nowadays to see the Barrato Center in East Chicago sit 3/4 empty for big basketball games.
Yes sir, I was at that 91’ EC Regional also. I remember former Michigan coach and Fab Five Juwan Howard along with his Chicago Vocational School teammates attending the game. At the time, I did not know that was THE Juwan Howard.

I often wondered what if Brandon Brantley attended his home town school, EC Central.

Last edited:
I wonder if Brandon Brantley will stick around long enough to create another succession hand-off when Painter is ready to hang it up

In 20 years... lol

• Haha
I lost my video, but many years ago I had a video of Vitale talking about "The Game Of Life". I can't say I like to listen to him doing a game, but he was VERY impressive in talking to 5 star campers. Matt and Gene have been good statesmen for Purdue that try to recruit good kids with character that can also play ball. Years later, players seem to respect both dearly. I want success in the tourney for the players, coaches and staff. I hope others that for some reason want that accomplishment for themselves also get to enjoy it. If it doesn't happen I feel for the players, coaches, staff and Gene as well, but Purdue is too great to be reduced to a tourney...at least for me.

Yes sir, I was at that 91’ EC Regional also. I remember former Michigan coach and Fab Five Juwan Howard along with Chicago Vocational School attending the game. At the time, I did not know that was THE Juwan Howard.

I often wondered what if Brandon Brantley attended his home town school, EC Central.
Bob Buscher coached Carson (I believe) and Brandon at Andrean

I must be too simple to comprehend the article's true insight, but I did like his reflections on his time with the program, teammates and NCAA tournament.

I did learn he has 6 kids and has written 5 books. I didn't know that.
Very bright guy. that was much talked about in his time in WL.

There were some great games at ECW back in the mid-late 70’s. The 77-78 school year in Region hoops was off the chart. But somehow, Merrillville with Seneff and Jelesky represented the Region at Semi-State.
I really didn't need to be reminded about that...I still haven't gotten over it.

• Haha
I really didn't need to be reminded about that...I still haven't gotten over it.
If only Thad Garner made those two free throws. Well, if nothing else, that game’s crushing loss prepped us for being a Purdue hoops fan.

• Haha
If only Thad Garner made those two free throws. Well, if nothing else, that game’s crushing loss prepped us for being a Purdue hoops fan.
Yep, my man Thad Garner missed the gimmies. Too bad that he went to Michigan.

Since we're talking about articles and March madness, this article may be fitting to include. A Michigan fan picked 49 straight winners to start 2019 only for the 50th game pick to be wrong. Any guesses who played that 50th game?

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-b...dness-perfect-bracket-gregg-nigl-ncaa-history

As they sat down at their seats for the Michigan-Texas Tech game on Thursday night, he found out he'd hit his 49th straight game, Virginia over Oregon. He was now almost 80% of the way toward doing the unthinkable, a perfect bracket.

Right before his Wolverines took the floor, he saw on his phone that his run was in trouble. He'd picked No. 2 seed Tennessee to beat No. 3 Purdue, and the Vols were down by 18 with 16:19 left.

Reactions: BoilerAndy

If I recall, Gary Roosevelt and Andrean actually played in the afternoon game. And East Chicago Central and Bishop Noll played in the 2nd afternoon game. Then Gary Roosevelt met up with East Chicago Central that night in the regional championship game that went into overtime. 8,000 plus fans packed that gym that night. Single class Indiana basketball at it's best back then.

Since we're talking about articles and March madness, this article may be fitting to include. A Michigan fan picked 49 straight winners to start 2019 only for the 50th game pick to be wrong. Any guesses who played that 50th game?

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-b...dness-perfect-bracket-gregg-nigl-ncaa-history

As they sat down at their seats for the Michigan-Texas Tech game on Thursday night, he found out he'd hit his 49th straight game, Virginia over Oregon. He was now almost 80% of the way toward doing the unthinkable, a perfect bracket.

Right before his Wolverines took the floor, he saw on his phone that his run was in trouble. He'd picked No. 2 seed Tennessee to beat No. 3 Purdue, and the Vols were down by 18 with 16:19 left.

Cliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine.......................

star-trek-the-wrath-of-khan-star-trek2.gif

Yeah, the name Buscher does sound familiar.
Bob Buscher also sent his son to Purdue. I told Brandon after an end of year gathering that the Lions club sold tickets(I think it was the year Carsen left early) I always thought Bob did a good job with the Bigs years ago, before going to Andrean at a small school in Clinton County. I know he was wanting to get back closer to that area a couple of years before he retired from Michigan City I think it was. School didn't have an opening for him at that time...

If I recall, Gary Roosevelt and Andrean actually played in the afternoon game. And East Chicago Central and Bishop Noll played in the 2nd afternoon game. Then Gary Roosevelt met up with East Chicago Central that night in the regional championship game that went into overtime. 8,000 plus fans packed that gym that night. Single class Indiana basketball at it's best back then.
The Roosevelt / ECC double OT game was in the afternoon. Andrean beat Lake Central in the afternoon as well. Here's a good link with their complete Tourney history by round:

https://indianahsbasketball.homestead.com/tny/GaryRoosevelt.htm#load

Reactions: BNIBoiler
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT