• D - yikers, I had hoped for better by this point

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • F - ugg, we make the IU 90's offenses look good

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Woodsa

Redshirt Freshman
Jul 18, 2004
I am no sports writer or statistician, just a Boiler alumnus cheering on the Boilers. But I would like to get an idea on what grade you would give the different elements of the football team. Next up, the offense.

I give them a C+. More points should have been scored against Illinois. Turnovers and mistakes in the red zone against a mediocre team isn't a good look...

Where are we getting the verbiage for the grades? How is “looking great and can hold their own” above “a top 10 offense”. I will give them a solid B even though they are not a top 10 offense.

We are moving the ball very well so far (5th in Big in ypg) but we could have scored more points.

Running game has significantly improved. I am highly confident that the OL is much deeper and trending in the right direction. Great job to the coaches and players for working their butts off.

RB/QB has been good. I expected more King and some of another RB. Horvath is a wrecking ball so I’ll take it. QB- O’Connell has been great, especially for him. He’s pretty slow though.
WR is loaded. TE is very good. I like the roster.

I’d give the offense a B+ so far. I am worried that we are still a little young and not physical enough to compete with a highly talented D. We’ll see. Time will tell..

"Hold their own" means going up against the top defenses in the league or country.

"Top 10 means" not bad but not the best.

Where are we getting the verbiage for the grades? How is “looking great and can hold their own” above “a top 10 offense”. I will give them a solid B even though they are not a top 10 offense.

We are moving the ball very well so far (5th in Big in ypg) but we could have scored more points.
I wondered the same. A top 10 offense (or defense) gets an A. I vote B but more in the top 25 range. Considering the absence of Rondale and King, that’s probably more like a B+.

Reactions: Beorik
"Hold their own" means going up against the top defenses in the league or country.

"Top 10 means" not bad but not the best.

Hard to think we’d be in a game against a top 10 team this year. The OL has improved, but I’m not convinced we’d push Penn St. around. If we had Rondale, I think we’d have a chance to compete. I do think the roster is trending in the right direction.

I think our WR core is top 10 even without Moore, maybe top 5 with him. I just think that the other positions on offense are still developing and are not quite there yet.

Hard to think we’d be in a game against a top 10 team this year. The OL has improved, but I’m not convinced we’d push Penn St. around. If we had Rondale, I think we’d have a chance to compete. I do think the roster is trending in the right direction.

I think our WR core is top 10 even without Moore, maybe top 5 with him. I just think that the other positions on offense are still developing and are not quite there yet.
I think some people on here equate not seeing a shitshow with this being a "great" offense. Bell and the other wide receivers have been terrific. The O-line is significantly improved and the D is showing signs of life. But to think this team, as its played the past two weeks, is ready to compete for the West, is a bit premature. Do they have the talent? Maybe. Have they shown it? No.

I think some people on here equate not seeing a shitshow with this being a "great" offense. Bell and the other wide receivers have been terrific. The O-line is significantly improved and the D is showing signs of life. But to think this team, as its played the past two weeks, is ready to compete for the West, is a bit premature. Do they have the talent? Maybe. Have they shown it? No.

I would still be happy with a 6-3 type of season. Going to a bowl would still be fantastic. I see some definite positive signs in the past 2 games.

Reactions: purduepat1969
Not sure who "those people" are.

As you so accurately articulated, the "O-line is significantly improved"... the WRs are "terrific".

Yet, it's "some people on here equate not seeing a sh*tshow" that's the problem.

No, Pat. That's not it.

I like you. You just need to relax and stop b*tching about people being happy with progress.... and find a way for yourself to ENJOY the progress, knowing it's always going to be a work in progress and that things will never be perfect for you.

Just ... enjoy the ride. It beats the hell out of the alternative!

Reactions: Beorik
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT