ADVERTISEMENT

Grad OL Transfer Visiting

Esox54547

True Freshman
Aug 26, 2017
I heard that Offensive Tackle TJ Storment from Colorado St. is visiting Purdue this week. I heard this from an FSU alum. He said FSU is also after Storment and they feel he is the top tackle in the portal.

it's also on KHC so it must be true. I doubt brohm is going after a grad transfer and competing with FSU for the guy to be a back-up. Brohm must see a weakness he wants to fill on the o-line.

it's also on KHC so it must be true. I doubt brohm is going after a grad transfer and competing with FSU for the guy to be a back-up. Brohm must see a weakness he wants to fill on the o-line.
I looked him up and it appears he graded out very well all year. He started every game and has good size.

if he's good enough for FSU, he's good enough for Purdue !

A quick glance shows FSU signed nine OL the past 2 years. Seven (7) were three star OL. In talent-rich southeast. Yet, they're still pursuing talented OL in the transfer portal.

That should illustrate that "elite offensive linemen" are not falling out of trees.

I can see us definitely going after this kid. It seems like over the last 2 OL classes that we have went after what more considered to be OGs than OTs on the offensive line. Not to say these recruits can not learn the tackle position.

I heard that Offensive Tackle TJ Storment from Colorado St. is visiting Purdue this week. I heard this from an FSU alum. He said FSU is also after Storment and they feel he is the top tackle in the portal.[/
He was a 2 star recruit coming out of high school.

I would think that you would recruit more OT types at Purdue with how much passing we do. Put the best ones at tackle and move the slower ones inside. Don’t get me wrong, I want some ass kickers inside to move some people. We tend to do finesse run style blocking, so being taller might not matter.

It seemed to me that C, LG, and RT were all a cluster last year for lost of the season. We seemed to get it together and play better during the last month. Yes... we need some guys right away that can play. I would feel comfortable with 2 OL GT’s.

To win 8 games you have to be able to run the ball. Even Tiller’s pass happy teams were most effective when the QB could take a little pressure off by handing the ball off for 4 yards. A running game is crucial for the offense to stay on the field.

Reactions: Chi-Boiler

I think both Bramel and miller can be good but both were probably more than a year away this fall. Bramel needs to work on his quickness but got better. Miller needs to add weight and should slide to LT when hermanns departs. If hermanns wasn’t here, Miller would probably be better suited to play LT now than RT.

If this kid is 320 and can move even a smidge quicker than Bramel, you dive all over it like a lot lizard at a speedway

I was sent this. I think the dates should be January 6th and 7th.

81993842_510362072931758_7534605244867773809_n.jpg

@norvell_central
1 day ago
UPDATE: Graduate transfer and Colorado State OT TJ Storment seems like a longshot at this point to come to FSU. Storment will be take a visit to Purdue on February 6th and 7th. (Via: Warchant) #fsu #fsufootball #collegefootball #collegefootballplayoff #recruiting #signingday #tallahassee #coloradostate #floridastatefootball

Reactions: Zaphod_B
I was sent this. I think the dates should be January 6th and 7th.

81993842_510362072931758_7534605244867773809_n.jpg

@norvell_central
1 day ago
UPDATE: Graduate transfer and Colorado State OT TJ Storment seems like a longshot at this point to come to FSU. Storment will be take a visit to Purdue on February 6th and 7th. (Via: Warchant) #fsu #fsufootball #collegefootball #collegefootballplayoff #recruiting #signingday #tallahassee #coloradostate #floridastatefootball

Per his own Twitter he wants to decide by Friday...so not going to visit FSU is a good thing

Decide by Friday? Not coming here till February???
Okay. I see the correction. NM.

Would be a nice add. Plug him in next to the returning core and one or two of the redshirts emerge and the OL could go from weakness to strength. Fun fact: Purdue running game improved from 2.23 ypc in the first 7 games to 3.80 ypc in the last 5 games.

A quick glance shows FSU signed nine OL the past 2 years. Seven (7) were three star OL. In talent-rich southeast. Yet, they're still pursuing talented OL in the transfer portal.

That should illustrate that "elite offensive linemen" are not falling out of trees.
@Wolegib

Reactions: jindy

It also shows that great teams like to sign a lot of linemen verses receivers and dbs. that's an average of signing 4.5 linemen per year.

it also shows you believed Purdue 85's word without doing any research. for the 2020 class, FSU signed 4 linemen - 3 3 star lineman and a 2 star transfer. in 2019 FSU signed signed 6 linemen - 1 4 star, 4 3 star and 1 3 star transfer. in 2018, FSU signed 3 linemen : 1 4star and 2 3 star.

Unfortunately, Purdue 85 neglected to say which years he was referring to or that the number included two 4 star linemen.

It is obvious from even a brief scan at this young man's Twitter feed that he's well-spoken and intelligent. And as someone who has graduated early, he's obviously got some smarts and work ethic about him. When he announced his attention to leave the school, he said it was a "business decision" so he can "continue to prepare for the 2021 NFL draft." Whether or not he chooses us, it's gratifying to know that we made the final two of "20+ schools" for him to consider this possibility.

It also shows that great teams like to sign a lot of linemen verses receivers and dbs. that's an average of signing 4.5 linemen per year.

it also shows you believed Purdue 85's word without doing any research. for the 2020 class, FSU signed 4 linemen - 3 3 star lineman and a 2 star transfer. in 2019 FSU signed signed 6 linemen - 1 4 star, 4 3 star and 1 3 star transfer. in 2018, FSU signed 3 linemen : 1 4star and 2 3 star.

Unfortunately, Purdue 85 neglected to say which years he was referring to or that the number included two 4 star linemen.

Bigs, nothing I said was incorrect. Absolutely nothing.

It's disingenuous (possibly downright deceitful) for you to state, "you believed Purdue 85's word without doing any research." It clearly implies I was wrong. I was NOT wrong.

You've simply thrown yourself into this theory and won't let go, in spite of any information to the contrary.

What's more, you go from arguing, "if it's good enough for FSU, it's good enough for us", to ... a "yeah, but" when presented with more detail about the struggles FSU has had recruiting serviceable linemen. Struggles, by the way, which seem to mirror the same struggles Purdue has had.

Bigs, sometimes you just need to stop digging.

Reactions: jindy

So, in 3 years FSU signed 13 OL and in those same years Purdue signed 12 OL, which will be 13 if they get this guy or another transfer.

Reactions: Purdue85
Bigs, nothing I said was incorrect. Absolutely nothing.

It's disingenuous (possibly downright deceitful) for you to state, "you believed Purdue 85's word without doing any research." It clearly implies I was wrong. I was NOT wrong.

You've simply thrown yourself into this theory and won't let go, in spite of any information to the contrary.

What's more, you go from arguing, "if it's good enough for FSU, it's good enough for us", to ... a "yeah, but" when presented with more detail about the struggles FSU has had recruiting serviceable linemen. Struggles, by the way, which seem to mirror the same struggles Purdue has had.

Bigs, sometimes you just need to stop digging.

perhaps sometimes if you were less vague and more forthcoming, I wouldn't have to do the research. of course, you weren't wrong, because you never included the years in your post or said anything about two of their linemen being 4 stars and two being transfers.

perhaps sometimes if you were less vague and more forthcoming, I wouldn't have to do the research. of course, you weren't wrong, because you never included the years in your post or said anything about two of their linemen being 4 stars and two being transfers.

Perhaps you're being a bit ridiculous about this.

There was nothing at all vague about what I wrote. Nor the timeline. Nor the number of recruits. In fact, if we did a poll I think we'd find most people understood exactly the point.

Bigs, you're trying too hard to make your points relevant. If they're good points you wouldn't have to work this hard.

Purdue under CJB brought in 7 OL in 2017, 5 in 2018 and 4 in 2019. 2 of those guys by random poor luck never made it on campus so that is 14 OL in 3 years. 2020 it looks like 5 more OL, minimum of 4 (currently signed). Where is this alleged lack of OL focus?

Purdue under CJB brought in 7 OL in 2017, 5 in 2018 and 4 in 2019. 2 of those guys by random poor luck never made it on campus so that is 14 OL in 3 years. 2020 it looks like 5 more OL, minimum of 4 (currently signed). Where is this alleged lack of OL focus?
I'd hate to go back and see what he was saying during the Hope years. 3 OL recruits total in 3 years..

What was Hope’s thought process on that? Just that we needed to free up scholarships for the 4 QB platoon system?
I have no effing idea. Maybe being an OL coach he thought he had such a good eye for talent that all of his OL recruits would become starters. Or he shot for the stars, missed, and had no fall back options. It's just hard to fathom that happening year after year. Hope was a good leader, but his recruiting was an enigma.

What was Hope’s thought process on that? Just that we needed to free up scholarships for the 4 QB platoon system?
He recruited DTs and jumbo athletes he thought could play OLine. Didnt work for the most part. Hist 2012 recruiting class had some good linemen.

He recruited DTs and jumbo athletes he thought could play OLine. Didnt work for the most part. Hist 2012 recruiting class had some good linemen.

Didn't he also have the idea that he wanted to recruit like 7 OL guys all in one class and have them grow up together to create continuity?

Didn't he also have the idea that he wanted to recruit like 7 OL guys all in one class and have them grow up together to create continuity?
I thought that was Heoppner and his blocks of limestone.

Hope did it when he finally realized his lines were terrible.

Reactions: Tommaker

No offense to Joe, but Purdue had gaps everywhere when he left.

I think Hope wanted to overfill skill positions and hope he could cobble together a decent O line. He couldn’t and it cost him.

His problem is that they aren’t already having busts made for Canton.

Perhaps you're being a bit ridiculous about this.

There was nothing at all vague about what I wrote. Nor the timeline. Nor the number of recruits. In fact, if we did a poll I think we'd find most people understood exactly the point.

Bigs, you're trying too hard to make your points relevant. If they're good points you wouldn't have to work this hard.

May I quote you??? you said the last two years. You did NOT say which years they were. You also did NOT say two of the OL that signed were 4 star recruits. To me not addressing that two linemen were 4 stars was a huge omission. To me that was rather vague and not very forthcoming.

I'm not really sure why FSU is trying to lure a grad transfer to their current line. Looking at their team and their recruits, that tells me, he must be pretty good. and if they have a lot of good linemen and want him, then I say , I want him at purdue. I wanted Cronk and knight and Britt too. and Hartwig.

As we have an early and late signing period. to many of us, the class of 2020 is already signed and in the books. So I'd like to know what years you were referring to when you said the last two years. I'm asking for clarification because your original statement did not address it. Were those two years 2020 and 2019? or were they 2019 and 2018? it may not make a huge difference, but it does provide clarity - at least for me when describing recruiting classes. .

I do recall with hope, he was recruiting some offensive linemen and a couple de-committed, and rather than going after replacements, he used the scholarships to go in a totally different direction. he also toyed with the idea of converting some d-linemen into o-linemen which didn't work. It made the class recruitment grade higher, but it totally screwed over the team with a lack of depth and talent on the o-line. At that time I was saying we have 1 QB position and 5 o-linemen positions. Why did we recruit more QBs than linemen? But I'm not a coach, nor am I allowed to question a coach's decision. I did anyway. But people never knew because I was placed on ignore.

May I quote you??? you said the last two years. You did NOT say which years they were. You also did NOT say two of the OL that signed were 4 star recruits. To me not addressing that two linemen were 4 stars was a huge omission. To me that was rather vague and not very forthcoming.

I'm not really sure why FSU is trying to lure a grad transfer to their current line. Looking at their team and their recruits, that tells me, he must be pretty good. and if they have a lot of good linemen and want him, then I say , I want him at purdue. I wanted Cronk and knight and Britt too. and Hartwig.

As we have an early and late signing period. to many of us, the class of 2020 is already signed and in the books. So I'd like to know what years you were referring to when you said the last two years. I'm asking for clarification because your original statement did not address it. Were those two years 2020 and 2019? or were they 2019 and 2018? it may not make a huge difference, but it does provide clarity - at least for me when describing recruiting classes. .

I do recall with hope, he was recruiting some offensive linemen and a couple de-committed, and rather than going after replacements, he used the scholarships to go in a totally different direction. he also toyed with the idea of converting some d-linemen into o-linemen which didn't work. It made the class recruitment grade higher, but it totally screwed over the team with a lack of depth and talent on the o-line. At that time I was saying we have 1 QB position and 5 o-linemen positions. Why did we recruit more QBs than linemen? But I'm not a coach, nor am I allowed to question a coach's decision. I did anyway. But people never knew because I was placed on ignore.

You can quote me anytime you like, Bigs.

It still hasn't changed ... the point of my post was clear. Over the past 2 recruiting cycles our OL recruiting hasn't been much different than that vaunted FSU, of which you think so highly. (Remember, if it's good enough for FSU, it's good enough for us.)

And you're still trying too hard.

You can quote me anytime you like, Bigs.

It still hasn't changed ... the point of my post was clear. Over the past 2 recruiting cycles our OL recruiting hasn't been much different than that vaunted FSU, of which you think so highly. (Remember, if it's good enough for FSU, it's good enough for us.)

And you're still trying too hard.

You still didn't answer the question I asked for clarity. I asked what two years you were referring to. How hard is it for you to type in those years? Was it 2019 and 2020 ? was it 2018 and 2019 or was it two you picked at random? Was it so hard for you to just reply with the actual years included ? I believe you've deliberately left the years off to see how I would respond. it's as if you're bored, and you want t o bait me into a discussion.

And I don't believe Purdue's offensive line recruiting compares favorably to FSU. In their past three years , 2018, 2019, and 2020, they were able to sign two 4 star offensive lineman. And they signed more linemen than we did. and the y brought in transfers. Unlike Purdue, FSU seems to like stockpiling linemen. As good as hartwig is, he's still rated by every recruiting service as only a 3 star. many of our other lineman were lower rated 3 star linemen. So I'll repeat if FSU is interested in this lineman, he must be pretty good. And look at the other offers he's currently reviewing. Adding him would be a coup for Purdue recruiting. he not onl y would fill a need, but he's also good.

85 - don't respond again unless you provide the actual years you were referring to. I' m making it simple for you . PROVIDE the actual 2 years you referred to in your original post. Also provide your source. Don't say everybody understood the years you were referring to. I'm sorry, the research just didn't match your post. NAT gets very upset when people just make stuff up.

You still didn't answer the question I asked for clarity. I asked what two years you were referring to. How hard is it for you to type in those years? Was it 2019 and 2020 ? was it 2018 and 2019 or was it two you picked at random? Was it so hard for you to just reply with the actual years included ? I believe you've deliberately left the years off to see how I would respond. it's as if you're bored, and you want t o bait me into a discussion.

And I don't believe Purdue's offensive line recruiting compares favorably to FSU. In their past three years , 2018, 2019, and 2020, they were able to sign two 4 star offensive lineman. And they signed more linemen than we did. and the y brought in transfers. Unlike Purdue, FSU seems to like stockpiling linemen. As good as hartwig is, he's still rated by every recruiting service as only a 3 star. many of our other lineman were lower rated 3 star linemen. So I'll repeat if FSU is interested in this lineman, he must be pretty good. And look at the other offers he's currently reviewing. Adding him would be a coup for Purdue recruiting. he not onl y would fill a need, but he's also good.

85 - don't respond again unless you provide the actual years you were referring to. I' m making it simple for you . PROVIDE the actual 2 years you referred to in your original post. Also provide your source. Don't say everybody understood the years you were referring to. I'm sorry, the research just didn't match your post. NAT gets very upset when people just make stuff up.

So because FSU recruits better than Purdue they care more about the OL? FSU has what 4 NCs since 1990?

FSU brought in 13 OL 2018, 2019, 2020
Purdie brought in 12 OL 2018, 2019, 2020 (signed 13, Charles Allen retired from football before stepping on campus).

So what is this you are crowing about other teams caring more about the OL? Your argument has no legs, the OL on campus when CJB were not good. The recruits he has brought are either hurt, not ready, or also not good. That is where our problem lies. If for some reason CJB decides to sign 2 OL total in the next 2 classes, you can bitch all you want about it.

The fact that a program like FSU only has two 4* OL signed in the last 3 classes highlights how hard those players are to sign.

Reactions: FirstDownB
I had several issues.

the first was Purdue 85 said the last two years without saying the exact years. I asked him several times and his reply each time avoided the question like a politician. How hard would it have been to include the recruiting class in question? if he had done so, I would not have asked him to clarify his post.

the second is he compared Purdue's line to the one at FSU by using numbers instead of comparing the level of talent. just because one team has 12 and the other team has 13 doesn't mean the quality is the same. he neglected to mention that FSU's numbers included two 4 star recruits in addition to all of their 3 star recruits. He also neglected to state several of our 3 star recruits were very low 3 star recruits. to me, if you want to address an issue, you need to include data and specifics.

the third, I basically said if this player has attracted the attention of a national powerhouse such as FSU, then he must be good. I often get very annoyed whe n Purdue recruits the same players that MAC teams recruit. We should be setting our recruiting bar higher. I was very concerned when we first hired brohm that his class ranking at WKU at the time he was hired was higher than Purdue's. That's how bad our recruiting had become.

I like FSU's recruiting. and no, when it comes to recruiting offensive linemen, Purdue doesn't come close. An interesting stat study would be to break out the recruiting classes of the BIG 10 and find the average of offensive linemen ratings over the last 10 years and see how purdue stacks up. It would be a tedious , time consuming exercise, but it could be done. I believe our recruiting ratings have been over inflated by our QBs and WRs signings and are not a true gauge of how good/bad our class and team actually is.

We constantly talk about how great schools redshirt their o-lineman and that's the road to follow. my thoughts are if those players who redshirt at the great schools came to purdue, their talent would be so much higher than the current talent, that once they learned the system, they'd be immediate contributors. just because a player redshirts at OSU doesn't mean he would redshirt at every school.

I had several issues.

the first was Purdue 85 said the last two years without saying the exact years. I asked him several times and his reply each time avoided the question like a politician. How hard would it have been to include the recruiting class in question? if he had done so, I would not have asked him to clarify his post.

the second is he compared Purdue's line to the one at FSU by using numbers instead of comparing the level of talent. just because one team has 12 and the other team has 13 doesn't mean the quality is the same. he neglected to mention that FSU's numbers included two 4 star recruits in addition to all of their 3 star recruits. He also neglected to state several of our 3 star recruits were very low 3 star recruits. to me, if you want to address an issue, you need to include data and specifics.

the third, I basically said if this player has attracted the attention of a national powerhouse such as FSU, then he must be good. I often get very annoyed whe n Purdue recruits the same players that MAC teams recruit. We should be setting our recruiting bar higher. I was very concerned when we first hired brohm that his class ranking at WKU at the time he was hired was higher than Purdue's. That's how bad our recruiting had become.

I like FSU's recruiting. and no, when it comes to recruiting offensive linemen, Purdue doesn't come close. An interesting stat study would be to break out the recruiting classes of the BIG 10 and find the average of offensive linemen ratings over the last 10 years and see how purdue stacks up. It would be a tedious , time consuming exercise, but it could be done. I believe our recruiting ratings have been over inflated by our QBs and WRs signings and are not a true gauge of how good/bad our class and team actually is.

We constantly talk about how great schools redshirt their o-lineman and that's the road to follow. my thoughts are if those players who redshirt at the great schools came to purdue, their talent would be so much higher than the current talent, that once they learned the system, they'd be immediate contributors. just because a player redshirts at OSU doesn't mean he would redshirt at every school.

So, you've said multiple times that if this guy is good enough for FSU he's good enough for Purdue(at least in your judgment). I assume then that Beach is also good enough for Purdue by a similar measurement, right? After all he was offered by Florida 2-3 weeks prior to his committment to Purdue.

Bigs, which part of "the past 2 years" are you having difficulty with?

That means the past 2 years, as in the last 2 recruiting classes.

And I thought you had a math degree and could work with numbers...

At this point you're just trolling.

What's more, I'll respond when I d@mn well please. If you don't like it, don't read it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT