ADVERTISEMENT

Wide receiver ranks

FirstDownB

All-American
Oct 12, 2015
Curious how we project the receivers in terms of expected production for the season, now after getting a glimpse in game 1. Regardless of position, how would you rank them?

My wild guess:
1. Charlie Jones
2. Payne Durham
3. TJ Sheffield
4. Broc Thompson
5. Tyrone Tracy
6. Mershawn Rice
7. Elijah Canion
8. Yaseen

I think injuries will continue to nag both Thompson and Rice or I would have them at #2 and #4. Yaseen also has he injury bug.

Tracy will settle into a role, but Sheffield seems to have more of a connection with Aidan.

Canion will be a big red zone target, but jump balls aren't the primary weapon of choice with a precision passer, so guys who can create separation on their routes will get the bulk of targets.

We've heard a lot about some others- spring ball and practice champs, Sullivan, Steptoe, Burks, Terrell, maybe one of them makes a mid-season jump. But not holding my breath at this point.

Last edited:
Curious how we project the receivers in terms of expected production for the season, now after getting a glimpse in game 1. Regardless of position, how would you rank them?

My wild guess:
1. Charlie Jones
2. Payne Durham
3. TJ Sheffield
4. Broc Thompson
5. Tyrone Tracy
6. Mershawn Rice
7. Elijah Canion
8. Yaseen

I think injuries will continue to nag both Thompson and Rice or I would have them at #2 and #4. Yaseen also has he injury bug.

Tracy will settle into a role, but Sheffield seems to have more of a connection with Aidan.

Canion will be a big red zone target, but jump balls aren't the primary weapon of choice with a precision passer, so guys who can create separate on their routes will get the bulk of targets.

We've heard a lot about some others- spring ball and practice champs, Sullivan, Steptoe, Burks, Terrell, maybe one of them makes a mid-season jump. But not holding my breath at this point.

Move Mershawn Rice up the list. Move Broc Thompson down the list. Mershawn needs to be getting more targets. Sheffield needs to prove he's not gonna continue to make stupid mistakes, like biting an EMT or running with the ball in the wrong hand...

Move Mershawn Rice up the list. Move Broc Thompson down the list. Mershawn needs to be getting more targets. Sheffield needs to prove he's not gonna continue to make stupid mistakes, like biting an EMT or running with the ball in the wrong hand...
I like players from Tejas, hoping for Sullivan to get in there.

Reactions: purduepat1969
Similar feelings on Sheffield's mental game. But in this offense the slot is going to get some volume.

It's really kind of shame and I feel bad for him as Broc showed what he can do against Tennessee in the bowl game even when injured. Unfortunately it seems his body will just never cooperate to let him do his thing as I don't think he was healthy against Penn State.

He probably shouldn't have been playing yet. And the thing to remember about Tennessee is their secondary was bad. Like really bad. If Mershawn can stay healthy, I thing he has the most upside...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT