ADVERTISEMENT

Gicarri Harris

proudopete

All-American
Jan 26, 2010
There’s talk on the other board about how good Harris is already. Brian has gone as far as to say he will probably start and that he is a great defender, possibly one of the best we have seen at Purdue.
Some people (IU fans) are saying it’s a bad sign that a frosh is starting over Heide/Colvin but Brian has explained it as Painter wanting a second ball handler next to Smith and not a knock on the two sophomores.

My question is, for you, is it a bad sign or is it a good sign that a frosh is possibly winning a starters role out of the gate?

For me it’s a good sign. We are incredibly deep with talent and we all know that Heide and Colvin are solid players. It’s going to be tough for Painter to manage the minutes with this much talent. Harris being BigDogs son makes this turn of events even more reasonable to me. We knew he was good but to see him win a starters spot right out of the gate is a very good sign that we indeed have a ton of talent on this years team.

There’s talk on the other board about how good Harris is already. Brian has gone as far as to say he will probably start and that he is a great defender, possibly one of the best we have seen at Purdue.
Some people (IU fans) are saying it’s a bad sign that a frosh is starting over Heide/Colvin but Brian has explained it as Painter wanting a second ball handler next to Smith and not a knock on the two sophomores.

My question is, for you, is it a bad sign or is it a good sign that a frosh is possibly winning a starters role out of the gate?

For me it’s a good sign. We are incredibly deep with talent and we all know that Heide and Colvin are solid players. It’s going to be tough for Painter to manage the minutes with this much talent. Harris being BigDogs son makes this turn of events even more reasonable to me. We knew he was good but to see him win a starters spot right out of the gate is a very good sign that we indeed have a ton of talent on this years team.
Tbh, I trust painter and his evaluation for what’s best. But also, it doesn’t matter who starts. If Harris is ready and better than those two, then I’d assume that means he’s pretty damn good. If Colvin or Heide play more mins than Harris, then what? Haha. I’m excited to see what the team looks like and go from there.

Also, IU fans don’t really have anything to stand on as they told us X was a better PG than Braden and that Cupps was going to be better than Braden as well. We were also told ware and Reneau were going to give the team trouble and they wouldn’t be able to guard them. So I don’t take their evaluation of basketball talent into consideration, as they have been pretty poor at it for quite some time.

Anytime a frosh starts in an experienced program with good players that is a GREAT sign.

To leapfrog Colvin and Heide, guys that could start on a few other B10 programs, is just MONSTEROUS if true.

This EXCITES me. 🎉🎉

Last edited:

That is so not a good sign. It's a GREAT SIGN!!

As you say, one of the primary reasons is the value in having a 2nd primary ballhandler (we saw how valuable that was with Lance) but even with that, Harris being ready this early only serves to elevate Purdue's ceiling.

Hell, I still think there's a chance that Jacobsen start's this year too as having a rim protector continues to be important and it would help keep TKR out of foul trouble.

Last edited:
I think Painter realized the difference in the 23-24 season v 22-23 was an elite/high level scorer and ball handler to compliment Braden.

This is certainly not a knock on Cam or Myles - they aren't ball handlers, off ball players, same with Fletcher.

This is 100% positive that Painter found a bulldog who is ready

+1
And i'm excited by the prospect of potentially seeing Cam and Myles together. I figured one would be backing up the other. I think they can be a dynamic pair of forwards against 2nd squads if this comes true.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
One other thing - Painter had Morton and Jenkins. Each provided something to the team but never 100% relief for Braden having the ball at all times. No knock on either of them but they were missing something.

Lance had that “it” factor to him. Hard nosed defender, balls of steel to take a shot when we needed it and a short term memory. I assume Gicarri has “it” as well.

Lastly, look at teams who make deep runs consistently and what they have in common - multiple ball-handlers who can go and get a bucket.

Great sign. What iu think and the fact he is grobs son are irrelevant. It’s been reported several times he was the most college ready of the commits and he fits the void left by Lance well so I’m not surprised. There’s also been some speculation Heide can start at the 4 with TKR at the 5. I think Heide and Colvin will still get plenty of minutes.

The hype from high school was that he was an awesome defender, an outstanding ball handler and a great shooter. He was also a tremendous leader and made those around him better.

It should be said that this was a player that Painter was still recruiting even though he had reached his scholarship limit. And painter said This is the guy ewe want and need.

I’m not a huge fan of Painters’s 3 guard offense. But if you are going to put a guard in the 3 spot, Harris is probably the best choice and most talented player for the position.

Braden and Loyer were outstanding as freshmen. I have to believe Harris will be just as good.

As for Cox, Myles, Heide and all the rest, they are still great players, but Harris is better.

As I look at all the players painter was recruiting this summer, I have to believe they saw Harris and didn’t want to compete with him for playing time.

Is Harris better than Haralson and Mullins and Sisley and all the rest? I don’t know. But he could be.

Reactions: Boiler Buck
The hype from high school was that he was an awesome defender, an outstanding ball handler and a great shooter. He was also a tremendous leader and made those around him better.

It should be said that this was a player that Painter was still recruiting even though he had reached his scholarship limit. And painter said This is the guy ewe want and need.

I’m not a huge fan of Painters’s 3 guard offense. But if you are going to put a guard in the 3 spot, Harris is probably the best choice and most talented player for the position.

Braden and Loyer were outstanding as freshmen. I have to believe Harris will be just as good.

As for Cox, Myles, Heide and all the rest, they are still great players, but Harris is better.

As I look at all the players painter was recruiting this summer, I have to believe they saw Harris and didn’t want to compete with him for playing time.

Is Harris better than Haralson and Mullins and Sisley and all the rest? I don’t know. But he could be.
Who said he was a great shooter? That’s something he said he had to work on. I’ve read he’s got good form but inconsistent. I also have never seen anyone say he was an outstanding ball handler. The scouting reports including his own assessment is he can facilitate and be a backup PG but his strength is he plays bigger than he is. Real physical player and can take it inside who is capable of hitting 3s. Actually sounds very similar to jones.

Who said he was a great shooter? That’s something he said he had to work on. I’ve read he’s got good form but inconsistent. I also have never seen anyone say he was an outstanding ball handler. The scouting reports including his own assessment is he can facilitate and be a backup PG but his strength is he plays bigger than he is. Real physical player and can take it inside who is capable of hitting 3s. Actually sounds very similar to jones.
I guess it depends on the definition. He shot 43% from three last season at Grayson and here are the first two scouting reports I found:

Most important though may be his ability to shoot the basketball. Harris has one of the cleaner releases of any prospect inside the Top247 with pretty rotation on his ball.

At his size, he is able to handle, shoot, and pass in multiple situations. A comfortable secondary ball handler, Harris can initiate offense and get his team into sets. He is a reliable three-point shooter with range and confidence.

Benson only made the IHSAA State Finals during his sophomore season losing in the afternoon at Hinkle Fieldhouse to Elkhart Central in OT, lost to Yorktown (Parkinson) his junior year in the New Castle Regional, again lost in the New Castle Regional during his senior season.

Agree with others. This sounds like Harris is ready to go and will provide what Painter needs.

There are so many great players that I feel like Painter is going to be able to create a lot of mismatches using Heide, Colvin, Harris, and the others.

Not worried about Harris's shot, as I don't think that'll be his primary responsibility, BUT if he was already shooting 43% from three in high school, I think he'll be fine.

I guess it depends on the definition. He shot 43% from three last season at Grayson and here are the first two scouting reports I found:

Most important though may be his ability to shoot the basketball. Harris has one of the cleaner releases of any prospect inside the Top247 with pretty rotation on his ball.

At his size, he is able to handle, shoot, and pass in multiple situations. A comfortable secondary ball handler, Harris can initiate offense and get his team into sets. He is a reliable three-point shooter with range and confidence.
Reliable and great are two different things. 43% is great for big ten basketball, but I wouldn’t call that great for high school. I think Nojel eastern had similar shooting in high school. I just wouldn’t advertise that as a strength especially after he said that is something he needs to work on. Again I see him similar to Lance jones.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Reliable and great are two different things. 43% is great for big ten basketball, but I wouldn’t call that great for high school. I think Nojel eastern had similar shooting in high school. I just wouldn’t advertise that as a strength especially after he said that is something he needs to work on. Again I see him similar to Lance jones.

Perhaps Nojel shot 43% from the foul line.....3... doubt it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT