ADVERTISEMENT

GDBS Book Two (Underworld - Delillo)

beardownboiler

All-American
Dec 22, 2008
Underworld by Don Delillo is book #2. The benchmarks are posted below. I tried to make them as close to 100 pages as possible, but the book is broken into sections and it'd be awkward to go with 100 pages. For the dates, I'm going to kick them off in a little more than a week, so that people get part 1 under their belts and then, get to discussion. Should be a good one. This book is long, and is considered by some to be the great American novel. I've only read the first 200 pages . . . but I'm not ready to award that crown, yet (I love Blood Meridian too much). Anyway, I know these are somewhat long sections, but they are actually sectioned off in the book like this, so we're good to go.

I've lumped the "Manx Martin" sections in with the end of the prior sections, but they may work out better at the beginning of the subsequent sections. If that's the case, I don't think there's any issue with reading them with either one.

Week of 6/29: Prologue - Part 1 (~149 pages)
Week of 7/06: Part 2 (~120 pages)
Week of 7/13: Part 3 (~90 pages)
Week of 7/20: Part 4 (~120 pages)
Week of 7/27: Part 5 (~160 pages)
Week of 8/04: Part 6 (~120 pages)
Epilogue (at the end . . I guess)

Aaaaaaaaaand, begin!

This post was edited on 6/19 11:46 AM by beardownboiler

I read this a month or so ago, so I might makes comments, discuss, etc as you guys go along, maybe.
It's a good one, for sure.

Got my copy and working on it. I've got to say that there is a point where, when you try to craft every sentence as a work of art, it begins to seem like none of them are works of art. For crying out loud, the guy turns "He spit on the ground" into an attempt at artistic expression.

Hoping it gets better!

Stick with it, I started Sunday and kind of had an "ugh" feeling when I started the prologue but then it kind of came together and started moving at a good and enjoyable clip.

I'm 300 pages in now, but that has more to do with the fact that I want read this alone due to the way it's written. I fear if I take my time, stick to the schedule and read other books along with it I'll struggle getting into a rhythm each time I pick it up.
Posted from wireless.rivals.com[/URL]

Originally posted by pastorjoeboggs:
Got my copy and working on it. I've got to say that there is a point where, when you try to craft every sentence as a work of art, it begins to seem like none of them are works of art. For crying out loud, the guy turns "He spit on the ground" into an attempt at artistic expression.

Hoping it gets better!
I'm just the opposite. There are times where things can get overbearing (read Joyce). However, I get extremely annoyed when I'm reading a book that merely states facts without decent description. "The man stood up. The man walked out the door. The man ate dinner." I need that great description of everything.

Alright . . . I think we can call this thing dead. It's not going to happen. People need to quit having real lives and focus their attention on message board discussions.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT