ADVERTISEMENT

Future of Purdue Basketball

purduepat1969

All-American
Sep 28, 2011
I'm a lot concerned about where this program is headed. The next couple of years are going to be painful, especially next year.
I know it's a crappy thing to do to Eifert and Cline. But is it time to give the younger players more minutes to develop this year for the remainder of the season so it can be less painful next year? Should Williams and Hunter get more minutes even if it means a few more losses this season?

Wheeler is a no brainer; and I don’t think it’s a huge drop off from Cline to Sasha; sahsa actuslly plays better D in my opinion.
Anyone that’s watched Purdue basketball knows Painter can be stubborn with lineups seems to be the case.
Sure....let's toss 'em all under the bus. No to Wheeler taking Grady's time and no to Sasha replacing Cline. It's their turn.

Reactions: mediaexpert
Wheeler is a no brainer; and I don’t think it’s a huge drop off from Cline to Sasha; sahsa actuslly plays better D in my opinion.
Anyone that’s watched Purdue basketball knows Painter can be stubborn with lineups seems to be the case.
Even tho Cline has shot like crap the past 2 games you can’t take his shooting ability out of the lineup...Yes Sasha has proved it on the defensive side but he hasn’t done anything to prove himself on the offensive side of the ball yet other than hit a few 3s once and awhile...and for Wheeler not starting seems a bit odd but I can see where Painter is coming from tho with not starting him...yes he can dunk (whitch he hardly does) hit the 3 and block shots in the lane but he’s been very shaky at times and gets in foul trouble and yes I know he’s a better skilled player than Grady but Grady plays his a** off...more guy’s need to do the same!

Sure....let's toss 'em all under the bus. No to Wheeler taking Grady's time and no to Sasha replacing Cline. It's their turn.
I can’t tell if this is sarcasm or not, but this is a college basketball team in a power conference, not a church youth league where everybody gets to play because it’s “their turn.” I like Purdue when they compete for Big Ten trophies, not participation ribbons.

I can’t tell if this is sarcasm or not, but this is a college basketball team in a power conference, not a church youth league where everybody gets to play because it’s “their turn.” I like Purdue when they compete for Big Ten trophies, not participation ribbons.
Painter will get it fixed. Every time PU loses here comes the Painter haters.

Purdue fan?? Doubtfull.
Maybe I should have said "Eifert is a garbage Big Ten basketball player".

He seems like a good guy, and he hustles his ass off, but he has no business being on the court in a close game for a Big Ten basketball team.

This is what happens when you have a damn good senior class stay for all 4years. Same thing happened during the baby boiler years

Maybe I should have said "Eifert is a garbage Big Ten basketball player".

He seems like a good guy, and he hustles his ass off, but he has no business being on the court in a close game for a Big Ten basketball team.

Just use the last ppg.....don't need the first one. BTW....I agree with the last paragraph.

Reactions: BoilerIron

I can see that . Bring in Cline off the bench for some o

It’s their turn ?? Why because they are seniors ? How many starters playing 20 minutes produce 0 points ?

Not sure if I agree replacing these guys yet but down the road if team stagnant by all means develop guys for next year

It’s their turn is ridiculous , produce every game .

No participation trophies at end of B10 tourney I believe

Is playing time earned or a matter of seniority? You play the people that gives you the best chance to win, By January, the best will be playing. Purdue will be at their strongest in conference play and fall off late in the season.

I truly dislike this comment about one of our players. This kid has poured every bit of his energy and heart into our program, and you post this crap. If it were up to me you would be gone from here.
Well it's not up to you. At some point it just needs to be said. There is zero excuse for Eifert to be on the court in a close game.

He isnt the only reason we lost, but when you have 3 starters that cant score, we are in big trouble. Nojel is at least a stud on defense, so his lack of scoring ability is somewhat okay. Eifert brings nothing but hustle, and at this level it's not good enough.

Painter is as stubborn as Keady was about lineups...and therefore will never be FF 4 coach. After Carsen leaves...the cupboard is left empty of talent due to recruiting whiffs by Painter. How long will AD put up missing the NCAA tournament after this season? I believe we are a bubble team this year...but committee likes to have talents such as Carsen in the field just like the kid from Oklahoma last year...so we make it this year.

I truly dislike this comment about one of our players. This kid has poured every bit of his energy and heart into our program, and you post this crap. If it were up to me you would be gone from here.
Why? It might be a little harsh, but he doesn’t belong on the floor. Nobody is making him play. If you want to call somebody out, call out Painter. He’s the one that keeps playing him whenever everybody else in the country sees he shouldn’t...except for Eifert’s dad and some posters here.

What in the Sam Hell makes you think PU's going to get someone better than Matt? Honestly....it's a serious question. There are programs that would die for PU's record and for Painter to be their coach.
Of the top 25 teams over the last decade, who would die for Painter's record, or his results?

I'm a lot concerned about where this program is headed. The next couple of years are going to be painful, especially next year.
I know it's a crappy thing to do to Eifert and Cline. But is it time to give the younger players more minutes to develop this year for the remainder of the season so it can be less painful next year? Should Williams and Hunter get more minutes even if it means a few more losses this season?
Really....Grady is leading the team in rebounding with 5.1 boards a game, he's averaging 2-1 in assists, and has less than 2 fouls per game while playing pretty damned good defense. Sounds like a guy I'd put on the bench.

Well it's not up to you. At some point it just needs to be said. There is zero excuse for Eifert to be on the court in a close game.

He isnt the only reason we lost, but when you have 3 starters that cant score, we are in big trouble. Nojel is at least a stud on defense, so his lack of scoring ability is somewhat okay. Eifert brings nothing but hustle, and at this level it's not good enough.
Let me be specific. The comment "Eifert is a garbage Big Ten basketball player" is inappropriate. You can direct the criticism at Painter for playing him, or for not having a better alternative, but to say that about the player is wrong.

Let me be specific. The comment "Eifert is a garbage Big Ten basketball player" is inappropriate. You can direct the criticism at Painter for playing him, or for not having a better alternative, but to say that about the player is wrong.
I deleted it last night. While probably not best to say, it's not an inaccurate statement.

Reactions: mathboy
How about last year's Purdue team who lost Haas in the tourney? Please....give the Painter hate a break because he ain't goin no where.
You named 1 year. That wasn't my question. What top 25 program would want Painter's 14 year record/results?

I am always on my high horse.
...and I tend to take the high road on these boards.
Only if it fits your narrative. Where were you Thursday when @BoiledSteel was talking sh*t to everyone after the Maryland win? Why weren't you telling him that type of talk is not appropriate for this board? Why do you only call out the behavior of people who don't push the same narrative as you?

Reactions: JohnHoosierr
the answer to Boiler Iron's question should be, rather than looking at top 25 teams, you should be considering ALL power 5 schools. As a power 5 school, their focus should be to become a top 25 team and contend for a championship. if that is not their focus, then why even field a team and compete? While Purdue hasn't been to the final 4 in awhile, when was the last time Rutgers was there? Don't you believe Rutgers' fans also want to be in the final 4? or at least make the dance? I'm sure they'd welcome a coach like painter, and also be able to afford him. There are many teams who could afford Painter that are not top 25 teams and would gladly welcome him.

and for mathboy, boileriron also posts when Purdue wins. I didn't say his posts were any more positive. but he does post. the idea that haters only come out after losses is a myth.

I thought about asking this in the thread about making the tourney which has also gone a tad off subject, but it seems to also relate to the posts here. My comment/question is as follows.

it's very obvious how sad, upset and frustrated Purdue fans become after a loss. But how long does that frustration last? and how upset do you actually get? Do you express your frustration to your family and friends? or just to Purdue followers? I ask because in Wisconsin, if the packers lose, it's a day of mourning. heads will and do roll. Objects are broken. Ice is cracked. Deer are shot. Beer is consumed in mass quantities! (Ok, that's' after a win too!) But for the bucks and brewers, we're sad for a few days , and then get over it and sort of accept losing.

I'll take it one step farther. How sad and frustrated do parents and players become? Do they dwell on the loss? do they move on? Do they quit? is it a different feeling if you had a bad game, but won? Do players actually quit because of losing? I keep reading the old coach speak of it's just one game in a long season, time to move on. But is that really the case? Does a player really put a loss behind them and move on? or does it linger for awhile?

Again, a few games ago the tv broadcast put up a graphic listing all-time B1G COY awards. Iirc Painter was about 4th on the list. It is not tenable to maintain that he is not good at his job when he wins it more than 20% of the time.

the answer to Boiler Iron's question should be, rather than looking at top 25 teams, you should be considering ALL power 5 schools. As a power 5 school, their focus should be to become a top 25 team and contend for a championship. if that is not their focus, then why even field a team and compete? While Purdue hasn't been to the final 4 in awhile, when was the last time Rutgers was there? Don't you believe Rutgers' fans also want to be in the final 4? or at least make the dance? I'm sure they'd welcome a coach like painter, and also be able to afford him. There are many teams who could afford Painter that are not top 25 teams and would gladly welcome him.

and for mathboy, boileriron also posts when Purdue wins. I didn't say his posts were any more positive. but he does post. the idea that haters only come out after losses is a myth.

I thought about asking this in the thread about making the tourney which has also gone a tad off subject, but it seems to also relate to the posts here. My comment/question is as follows.

it's very obvious how sad, upset and frustrated Purdue fans become after a loss. But how long does that frustration last? and how upset do you actually get? Do you express your frustration to your family and friends? or just to Purdue followers? I ask because in Wisconsin, if the packers lose, it's a day of mourning. heads will and do roll. Objects are broken. Ice is cracked. Deer are shot. Beer is consumed in mass quantities! (Ok, that's' after a win too!) But for the bucks and brewers, we're sad for a few days , and then get over it and sort of accept losing.

I'll take it one step farther. How sad and frustrated do parents and players become? Do they dwell on the loss? do they move on? Do they quit? is it a different feeling if you had a bad game, but won? Do players actually quit because of losing? I keep reading the old coach speak of it's just one game in a long season, time to move on. But is that really the case? Does a player really put a loss behind them and move on? or does it linger for awhile?

Rutgers - 1976, led by Phil Sellers and future NBA guard "Fast Eddie" Jordan - they were undefeated @ 30-0 entering the Final Four where Michigan took them out. They lost the consolation game to UCLA as well.

Sure, some Power 5 schools would like Painter. We saw that when Missouri came knocking. However, that's different than a top 25 program. We aren't striving to be Missouri. We should be striving to be Villanova. I don't see any top 25 programs (Purdue excluded) that would be happy with the 14 year results we have seen. He's a good coach. He isn't a great coach.

Reactions: DAG10 and bonefish1
Really....Grady is leading the team in rebounding with 5.1 boards a game, he's averaging 2-1 in assists, and has less than 2 fouls per game while playing pretty damned good defense. Sounds like a guy I'd put on the bench.

So we have Eifert who plays really good defense, but isn't a scoring threat (4.1ppg) We have Nojel who plays outstanding D, but isn't considered a huge scoring threat (5.6ppg). And Haarms, who plays good D, but isn't a big scoring threat (8.1ppg). That's less than 18 ppg combined for those three starters. Who the heck is supposed score when they're on the floor? Does that mean we rely on Carsen and Cline to be our only key scoring threats??? Who's going to score next year if we don't develop some younger players?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT