ADVERTISEMENT

? for Purdue fans that post here

collegehoopsfan123

True Freshman
Oct 15, 2021
Anyway we can focus on twitter updates on prospects we are looking at, have offered, visited, etc.

because I am sick of hearing about NIL.

Purdue basketball recruiting news or updates would be VERY MUCH appreciated!

Go Boilers!

Anyway we can focus on twitter updates on prospects we are looking at, have offered, visited, etc.

Go Boilers!
It's 2022. You can't talk about recruiting without talking about NIL. It has become the deciding factor. When a Midwest kid chose Miami over Purdue and Ohio State, the conversation goes to "Why?"

I read on the Rivals main page article that Xavier Booker, a recruit I was feeling pretty good about, list Purdue as a long shot to land him. Bummer.

Reactions: Schnelk

Go Boilers!

It's 2022. You can't talk about recruiting without talking about NIL. It has become the deciding factor. When a Midwest kid chose Miami over Purdue and Ohio State, the conversation goes to "Why?"

It is amazing how the media can influence people's thoughts. NIL has its place and worthy of discussion, but to claim adults understand the mind of a young male with unknown family situations, upbringing, personal injuries, rating his self confidence and demographics in today's world is a stretch. Let alone all the conversations behind closed doors. If you have the ability to solve that, start your own company, plenty of people will pay for that. NIL is the new convenient "shiny" excuse (and reality) for everyone.

I actually can see why Pack to Miami makes more basketball sense or at least, why it appealed to him, especially with Edey coming back. Purdue's offense is geared towards the big man. Notice that recruiting is changing and with Furst and Berg, the offense will start to look different.

Just look at how Miami plays basketball, then look at how Purdue plays basketball. Purdue is system based that has worked very well for Painter. Do you think that maybe Painter looks at the analytics? Obviously if you can shoot the 3 at a high clip, you're an efficient offense. Analytics also will tell you which is more efficient, shooting within 5 feet (and racking up fouls for FT's) or shooting 15 footers?

Defensively it's the same philosophy. Stay home with the good 3 point shooters and don't allow deep post position (double the post), don't foul and limit possessions by rebounding. Essentially allow the "bad shooters" to take shots or the good shooters to take "tough shots".

Notice it's not about pressuring the opponent into a mistake, or playing aggressive and potentially fouling, it's about making the opponent execute offense.

It seems like every player Purdue offers, Purdue fans think they want to play that way. They don't.

Can we move on and talk about the next guy(s)?

Collegehoops - I agree with you, you don't focus on what you don't have.

I don't have any inside information, nor do I care to pay for rumors or someone's opinion. I would suggest, just like the stock market, you don't buy the rumor. Sit back, relax and realize it doesn't matter if you know something today versus something in a couple months when it's formally announced. Trust that Painter is doing his job to the best of his ability and move on. I liken the situation to being a passenger on an airplane in the air. You can't control anything, so why worry?

What I will talk about is Purdue's roster. If EM can assume the PG position, Purdue's got
Potential 1st team. ZE, MG, TKR, BN, EM
Potential 2nd team. CF, BW, CH, FL, BS
Redshirting? Berg? CH? BS if there's a transfer?
Is BW or CF going to be recovered fully from their surgeries?

Purdue's got shooters or guys that can get your own shot on 4/5 in the first team. The 5th needs to keep defenses honest and EM showed he can hit 3's with good percentage on low volume. The defense will look better with having more athletic, bigger, or more defensive committed guards. Think SS or TKR? IT or EM?

The way the scholarship distribution is, at this point, I wouldn't be surprised if Painter is only looking for a 1 year PG transfer. The tough part is how many good players that fit that criteria are out there, that want to play for Purdue and pass through Painter's filter regarding potential minutes, attitude, style of play, etc.

I wish EH the best, he had a great season last year, but I feel like it's time to move on.

It is amazing how the media can influence people's thoughts. NIL has its place and worthy of discussion, but to claim adults understand the mind of a young male with unknown family situations, upbringing, personal injuries, rating his self confidence and demographics in today's world is a stretch. Let alone all the conversations behind closed doors. If you have the ability to solve that, start your own company, plenty of people will pay for that. NIL is the new convenient "shiny" excuse (and reality) for everyone.

I actually can see why Pack to Miami makes more basketball sense or at least, why it appealed to him, especially with Edey coming back. Purdue's offense is geared towards the big man. Notice that recruiting is changing and with Furst and Berg, the offense will start to look different.

Just look at how Miami plays basketball, then look at how Purdue plays basketball. Purdue is system based that has worked very well for Painter. Do you think that maybe Painter looks at the analytics? Obviously if you can shoot the 3 at a high clip, you're an efficient offense. Analytics also will tell you which is more efficient, shooting within 5 feet (and racking up fouls for FT's) or shooting 15 footers?

Defensively it's the same philosophy. Stay home with the good 3 point shooters and don't allow deep post position (double the post), don't foul and limit possessions by rebounding. Essentially allow the "bad shooters" to take shots or the good shooters to take "tough shots".

Notice it's not about pressuring the opponent into a mistake, or playing aggressive and potentially fouling, it's about making the opponent execute offense.

It seems like every player Purdue offers, Purdue fans think they want to play that way. They don't.

I don't have any inside information, nor do I care to pay for rumors or someone's opinion. I would suggest, just like the stock market, you don't buy the rumor. Sit back, relax and realize it doesn't matter if you know something today versus something in a couple months when it's formally announced. Trust that Painter is doing his job to the best of his ability and move on. I liken the situation to being a passenger on an airplane in the air. You can't control anything, so why worry?

What I will talk about is Purdue's roster. If EM can assume the PG position, Purdue's got

Purdue's got shooters or guys that can get your own shot on 4/5 in the first team. The 5th needs to keep defenses honest and EM showed he can hit 3's with good percentage on low volume. The defense will look better with having more athletic, bigger, or more defensive committed guards. Think SS or TKR? IT or EM?

The way the scholarship distribution is, at this point, I wouldn't be surprised if Painter is only looking for a 1 year PG transfer. The tough part is how many good players that fit that criteria are out there, that want to play for Purdue and pass through Painter's filter regarding potential minutes, attitude, style of play, etc.

I wish EH the best, he had a great season last year, but I feel like it's time to move on.
This is a ton of stuff that is really great analysis!

It would be great if Morton could play the 1.

I also like what you said about Furst and Berg at the 5. I like more mobile big men because they are less of a defensive liability. Based off the current Purdue roster, I would start:

Morton, Newman, Waddell, Kaufman-Renn, Furst.

Whoever is the better defensive player, (Berg or Edey) would be my back-up.

Gillis has the body of a 3, wish he could develop into a 3.

1 of Smith, Loyer, or Heide should contribute from Day 1. 2 of the 3 would be icing on the cake.

Would really like to see Purdue get Tyrese Hunter, would be perfect for this team.
Purdue will be in the Sweet 16 next year if they get him.

Looking forward to so many new guys playing prominent roles. I think we will see better
ball movement. Braden Smith is going to be special at some point in his career.

Go Boilers!

I also like what you said about Furst and Berg at the 5. I like more mobile big men because they are less of a defensive liability. Based off the current Purdue roster, I would start:

1 of Smith, Loyer, or Heide should contribute from Day 1. 2 of the 3 would be icing on the cake.

Would really like to see Purdue get Tyrese Hunter, would be perfect for this team.

Looking forward to so many new guys playing prominent roles. I think we will see better

Go Boilers!
there are a lot of players out there. in the past, Painter would find them, recruit them and be in their top 3 or top 5 , and then they'd sign elsewhere. but now, if they don't receive their $500K, you no longer need to talk about them, because they're not coming here.

rather than talking about future , potential recruits, it's better to just talk about who you have.

Have we already forgotten about Ivey? And Carsen Edwards before him? Purdue was dominant up front with Edey, Williams, and Furst, yet Ivey had a chance to shine so much that he is projected to be a lottery pick. He was usually the first player mentioned when the talking heads discussed Purdue.

Go Boilers!
Nice post 123. But you really need to re-evaluate that starting 5. I expect Edey and Gillis to be among them. I'm excited to see TKR in the very near future and hope Waddell muscles up and makes the rotation eventually. But other than that...Btfu!

Edge case
Not really. The rumors were that he had lucrative offers from different schools. If there is a bidding war for a player like Pack, who no one is saying is a program-changer, think about what the Top 20 players are hearing.

Not really. The rumors were that he had lucrative offers from different schools. If there is a bidding war for a player like Pack, who no one is saying is a program-changer, think about what the Top 20 players are hearing.
He’s a first team all Big 12 player as a sophomore with three years of eligibility left. He’s as much of a potential program changer as any five star freshman.

I read on the Rivals main page article that Xavier Booker, a recruit I was feeling pretty good about, list Purdue as a long shot to land him. Bummer.
Booker was just offered by Kansas within the past couple days, and Duke seems interested as well. MSU went at him hard and for a while were thought by many to be the favorite. But that now seems premature, and it's looking more and more likely he won't play in the B1G...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT