ADVERTISEMENT

Flory

Does Flory remind you of Kemp as a high school junior ?
I haven't watched any tape of Flory. Kemp hit a big growth spurt at about 6th or 7th grade and it took some time for his coordination to catch up, but once it did, he was incredibly athletic for his size. He definitely was an above the rim player at Concord.

Reactions: Boiler Buck
Do Dah Day, you witnessed Lafayette Central Catholic beat Shawn Kemp team in the Hall of Fame Classic Championship game season 86’/87’ at Jeff’s Crawley gym. LCC beat Jeff in the semifinal and Concord in the Championship after Concord knocked off Bloomington South. LCC was lead by a Dave Barrett, and the school of less than 200 at the time would go on in the following week to be ranked #2 in the state and #13 in the country behind Marion with Jay Edwards and a Lyndon Jones who would be ranked #1 in the state and #1 in the country. No class basketball at its finest. LCC made the final 4 that year losing in the semi state final to Gary Roosevelt.
LCC you talkin' 'cruitin'.

Do Dah Day, you witnessed Lafayette Central Catholic beat Shawn Kemp team in the Hall of Fame Classic Championship game season 86’/87’ at Jeff’s Crawley gym. LCC beat Jeff in the semifinal and Concord in the Championship after Concord knocked off Bloomington South. LCC was lead by a Dave Barrett, and the school of less than 200 at the time would go on in the following week to be ranked #2 in the state and #13 in the country behind Marion with Jay Edwards and a Lyndon Jones who would be ranked #1 in the state and #1 in the country. No class basketball at its finest. LCC made the final 4 that year losing in the semi state final to Gary Roosevelt.
YES!!! I wanted to say it was by CC but just couldn't get my arms around that being true.

Did you see Kemp when he was a junior in HS? He was rough.
Rough, how do you mean? I went to HS with Shawn, two years younger so was on freshman/JV team at the time. Saw every single game. Shawn would lead fast breaks, get yelled at for throwing behind the back passes etc. Shawn would pull up and fire 25-footers lol to which Coach Hahn (RIP) would immediately rip him and yell you’re a foot taller than everyone else. Wtf are you doing go to the block. Shawn would fire again and Coach would just smile at him with his hands raised up. He had this thing where he wanted to prove he could hit 16-20 footers. Regularly shot several every game. And made a decent amount.

Flory currently has absolutely no offensive game outside of 5-6-feet. Nothing.

When Shawn and Rick Fox played each other it was an incredibly high-level of skill for “big” men for high school age. Too bad the ref Rick DeSantis wanted to call every touch foul on both guys, could have been so much more fun. Sadly, the IHSAA ruled Fox ineligible for WCHS his senior year due to an event in the Bahamas before he was an exchange student. Otherwise, would have gotten more Kemp vs Fox games in NLC and likely regionals at NSG.

Rough, how do you mean? I went to HS with Shawn, two years younger so was on freshman/JV team at the time. Saw every single game. Shawn would lead fast breaks, get yelled at for throwing behind the back passes etc. Shawn would pull up and fire 25-footers lol to which Coach Hahn (RIP) would immediately rip him and yell you’re a foot taller than everyone else. Wtf are you doing go to the block. Shawn would fire again and Coach would just smile at him with his hands raised up. He had this thing where he wanted to prove he could hit 16-20 footers. Regularly shot several every game. And made a decent amount.

Flory currently has absolutely no offensive game outside of 5-6-feet. Nothing.

When Shawn and Rick Fox played each other it was an incredibly high-level of skill for “big” men for high school age. Too bad the ref Rick DeSantis wanted to call every touch foul on both guys, could have been so much more fun. Sadly, the IHSAA ruled Fox ineligible for WCHS his senior year due to an event in the Bahamas before he was an exchange student. Otherwise, would have gotten more Kemp vs Fox games in NLC and likely regionals at NSG.
Flory has improved his skill...still needs work, but he has improved and has played so little basketball

Reactions: purduedavie
Flory has improved his skill...still needs work, but he has improved and has played so little basketball
Yeah I have no doubt he will improve rapidly. Kid has tons of potential. I haven’t seen him play since the Westfield game. No kidding, it seemed like the kid got every single rebound. He was in foul trouble too. Don’t remember exactly but he was something like 3-10 from the free throw line. His shot was what I’d describe as rough, it wasn’t pretty. But as I said, I have no doubt he’ll improve skill wise quite rapidly.

Reactions: tjreese
Trayce Jackson-Davis made a career out of not having anything outside of 5 feet.
You mean the 1 and done kid playing for IU? Might come back next year as well, could be the first 1 and done 5 year player in the history of college basketball! Seriously, I heard he’s making 1 million+ this season, he very well could use the Covid year and try to have another great payday. Make Race could petition the NCAA and get a 7th season?

Kanon dropped 39 and easily beat Kokomo

He had 25 at half. Put on a show first half. Needs to tighten up his ball handling a bit, but has a lot of potential . Doesn’t show any physical maturity and is already a really good athlete. Never had a good game this morning in particular but you can see he has a very high ceiling. A bit surprised since he is supposed to be a good shooter that he shoots a bit over his left eye instead of his right.

Watched Flory maybe 5 or 6 times the last two years and have yet to see Kokomo really do anything to help him when teams get physical and bring bodies. He doesn’t get near enough touches

He had 25 at half. Put on a show first half. Needs to tighten up his ball handling a bit, but has a lot of potential . Doesn’t show any physical maturity and is already a really good athlete. Never had a good game this morning in particular but you can see he has a very high ceiling. A bit surprised since he is supposed to be a good shooter that he shoots a bit over his left eye instead of his right.

Watched Flory maybe 5 or 6 times the last two years and have yet to see Kokomo really do anything to help him when teams get physical and bring bodies. He doesn’t get near enough touches
He was 1 point shy of a 40 burger and you’re making it seem like he is a hobo who got luck to make a bucket. Gonna start calling you Debbie because you’re such a downer. (TIC)

SMH.

He was 1 point shy of a 40 burger and you’re making it seem like he is a hobo who got luck to make a bucket. Gonna start calling you Debbie because you’re such a downer. (TIC)

SMH.
He was 3 of 4 from 3 in the first half. Pretty impressive. He looks just as tall as Bidunga.

SMH.
He missed a wide open dunk on a breakaway that he threw down with some force that popped out or he would have had 41 😊. Course he did make a few circus shots. He had everyone around me shaking their heads at some of the shots he made…and he has growth and strength he will gain.

He was 3 of 4 from 3 in the first half. Pretty impressive. He looks just as tall as Bidunga.
I don’t follow high school basketball enough but would it be possible for him to win Mr Basketball as a Junior? Does Brownsburg have to make it to state and/or win it for that to happen?

I don’t follow high school basketball enough but would it be possible for him to win Mr Basketball as a Junior? Does Brownsburg have to make it to state and/or win it for that to happen?
No he will be in the lead his senior year. Brownsburg in a very limited showing of 2 games seems to be well coached. I was on the north baseline and Catchings was at the other end and I’m guessing maybe 18 feet out and the D comes and Catchings double pumps and hits it and gets fouled.

Was also told at the Purdue game that Jack Benter was going to surprise some people …better than many realize

Reactions: Bill4411
Ricky is still my all-time favorite Boilermaker

first time I saw him was intrasquad game at Logansport???? Gene's first team. Came home and told brother-in-law that Cross plays around the rim and hardly leaves the floor, Gene's team set a LOT of screens (he ran the flex) and there was this really quick guard that would set the D.

first time I saw him was intrasquad game at Logansport???? Gene's first team. Came home and told brother-in-law that Cross plays around the rim and hardly leaves the floor, Gene's team set a LOT of screens (he ran the flex) and there was this really quick guard that would set the D.

To this day, I still have not seen a Purdue guard with the cat-like quickness he had at times.....plus, when he leapt into the crowd, he always seemed to land on his feet. Haha.

Reactions: TX4GB and tjreese
To this day, I still have not seen a Purdue guard with the cat-like quickness he had at times.....plus, when he leapt into the crowd, he always seemed to land on his feet. Haha.
That, was what my impression with Catching.
So effortless in everything he did, like a long, skinny kitten.
What is it, like hitting effortless sweet spot shots!
Hits soft, but with a big bang.

Boiler Up!!

No he will be in the lead his senior year. Brownsburg in a very limited showing of 2 games seems to be well coached. I was on the north baseline and Catchings was at the other end and I’m guessing maybe 18 feet out and the D comes and Catchings double pumps and hits it and gets fouled.

Was also told at the Purdue game that Jack Benter was going to surprise some people …better than many realize
Benter will amaze!!! Ok @Wolegib ... I went out on a limb!!! Similar to my support of Brayden through the summer and my comment a few days ago that TKR would astound in the upcoming game ... what the fk say you? --= SORRY TK, but I can't miss this opp to assert myself!

Benter will amaze!!! Ok @Wolegib ... I went out on a limb!!! Similar to my support of Brayden through the summer and my comment a few days ago that TKR would astound in the upcoming game ... what the fk say you? --= SORRY TK, but I can't miss this opp to assert myself!

I thought Benter's talent was a given by this point given all the reports?

I thought Benter's talent was a given by this point given all the reports?
I read some reports and obviously must be good for Purdue to have offered him over two seasons before he enrolled, but his AAU coach might have more insight. 😁

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT