ADVERTISEMENT

Flory

I was at the game. Flory still needs a lot of work. I saw Painter but did not locate Cal or Izzo. Flory is really raw. I'm honestly surprised he is the #4 recruit. I dont think he had more than 6-8 points. He is pretty much a defensive and lob player at this point. Dont think he is a one and done unless he develops a lot going into his senior year. The Imes kid from Zionsville is pretty solid. He isnt a great athlete but I think he will contribute for Penn State down the road.
According to Zach, he was raw when Painter first saw him as well. I think that this is something that Painter should be able to sell.

He goes by Jimbo but I call him Jimmy like most people who knew him as a teen. His claim to fame is as Terhune #5 in the movie Hoosiers.

He is a huge Purdue fan however, (even though his dad is a Hoosier hero) and his son is a preferred walk-on next year at Purdue.
"If he switches over to Terhune, we're dead meat!"

Reactions: proudopete
Did you see Kemp when he was a junior in HS? He was rough.
I didn’t see Kemp until he was a senior. I just don’t see Flory making that big of a jump to equate to Kemps ability at the same time of their careers. We will see.

Kemp fouled out a bunch. When they beat Warsaw in the regionals the previous year, he and Rick Fox both fouled out.
At that time the Northern Lakes conference in northern Indiana had…
Kemp at Concord
Rick Fox at Warsaw
Scot Skiles at Plymouth
Kemp could jump out of the gym! I heard a story that Kemp was having a bad game and the fans were letting him know it so he came out after halftime to drop 30+ Lol

Kemp went to Concord HS South of Elkhart.

he was considered to be one of the top four or five players nationally his senior year,[citation needed] and led his team to the state championship finals. Kemp ended his high school career as Elkhart County's all-time leading scorer and the owner of Concord's career, single-game and single-season scoring records.[4] Despite his achievements and accolades, Kemp was bypassed for the title of Indiana Mr. Basketball; Woody Austin won the award that year instead. There has been some speculation that Kemp was purposely passed over for the award because he verbally committed to the University of Kentucky and did not express interest in staying in-state to play college ball (Austin committed to Purdue University.)[5][6][7] Kemp was selected to the 1988 McDonald's High School All-American team (considered one of the best classes of all-time),[8][9] along with such notable players as Alonzo Mourning. Kemp scored a team-high 18 points for the West in a losing cause. The final score was 105–99 in favor of the East.[10]
Herein read that Kemp didn't give IU a sniff therefore the IU Star withheld the MrBB honors.

So the IU Star decided to go with a Purdue recruit...makes sense
probably pride hurt to not even be a consideration "and" wanted. ;) Not sure if IU had much or any interest in Woody since it is too long for me to remember. I know for all the shooting, Woody was one of the worst defenders coming out of high school to go to a major program I was aware. I was shocked when I saw him preseason in a Purdue scrimmage. Course he improved, but Chad came in as a good defender and scorer ;)

Reactions: Schnelk
Aka Ricky Roe

Didn't know you knew him too, New Pal.....

4b28256f-aeee-4776-aede-0f40782bc5b1_text.gif

Reactions: TX4GB and bonefish1
probably pride hurt to not even be a consideration "and" wanted. ;) Not sure if IU had much or any interest in Woody since it is too long for me to remember. I know for all the shooting, Woody was one of the worst defenders coming out of high school to go to a major program I was aware. I was shocked when I saw him preseason in a Purdue scrimmage. Course he improved, but Chad came in as a good defender and scorer ;)
And Chad is a hero forever. Twice even.

The best player I remember playing for FT Wayne Concordia was Andre Patterson. That was probably back in about 2000ish - ended up going to UCLA and then transferred to Tennessee. I think he went to a prep school his senior year so was not eligible for Mr. Basketball.

didn't a kid from Richmond ...maybe a Ball State commit around 6'3" win Mr. Basketball which the kid was good, but Shawn was denied Mr Basketball (Ft Wayne Concordia???) Nobody needs to look it up...just thinking outloud

The best player I remember playing for FT Wayne Concordia was Andre Patterson. That was probably back in about 2000ish - ended up going to UCLA and then transferred to Tennessee. I think he went to a prep school his senior year so was not eligible for Mr. Basketball.

didn't a kid from Richmond ...maybe a Ball State commit around 6'3" win Mr. Basketball which the kid was good, but Shawn was denied Mr Basketball (Ft Wayne Concordia???) Nobody needs to look it up...just thinking outloud

Woody Austin from Richmond won it in '88.

Ricky Hall wasn't too shabby from Ft Wayne Concordia.....and one of my favorite Boilermakers in any sport.

I got dunked on by Kemp at the Y in Jr High. There was no shame in that. We wore it as a badge of honor.
Got dunked on by Kemp also in AAU. My team was Bloomington Red and AAU was just starting at the time. Kemp walked in with so many handlers at the time. Playing in the State finals at the time, my teammate was only 6'5 and dominated him for one day. He went on to play tight end at Michigan and solid NFL career. Tony McGee from TH South. Besides Kemp, Chandler Thompson was no doubt the best athlete in state that year.

I mean that is what burned Crean by not recruiting local talent and being persistent. Not sure if we get him but there is a chance until he tells us kickrocks.
No he did. He just did dumb crap that turned the coaches and kids away. Crean f’ed up. It went south when Lyles decomitted. I don’t remember specifics but he did want indiana kids.

Got dunked on by Kemp also in AAU. My team was Bloomington Red and AAU was just starting at the time. Kemp walked in with so many handlers at the time. Playing in the State finals at the time, my teammate was only 6'5 and dominated him for one day. He went on to play tight end at Michigan and solid NFL career. Tony McGee from TH South. Besides Kemp, Chandler Thompson was no doubt the best athlete in state that year.
Thompson was insane.

No he did. He just did dumb crap that turned the coaches and kids away. Crean f’ed up. It went south when Lyles decomitted. I don’t remember specifics but he did want indiana kids.
Thanks for the input. I thought the story was he didn’t recruit Indiana kids but can see his odd personality running people the wrong way.

Funny thing, a year after he got fired by IU, Crean did an interview on PMT. He talked about some sports reporter calling him to chat about it for an interview and the guy was amazed at how he remembered his kids names etc. He has a personable side just a little weird.

Reactions: tjreese
Thanks for the input. I thought the story was he didn’t recruit Indiana kids but can see his odd personality running people the wrong way.

Funny thing, a year after he got fired by IU, Crean did an interview on PMT. He talked about some sports reporter calling him to chat about it for an interview and the guy was amazed at how he remembered his kids names etc. He has a personable side just a little weird.
I have a brother-in-law like that. Most socially inept person I've ever met although unlike Crean he doesn't have a personable side.

Do Dah Day, you witnessed Lafayette Central Catholic beat Shawn Kemp team in the Hall of Fame Classic Championship game season 86’/87’ at Jeff’s Crawley gym. LCC beat Jeff in the semifinal and Concord in the Championship after Concord knocked off Bloomington South. LCC was lead by a Dave Barrett, and the school of less than 200 at the time would go on in the following week to be ranked #2 in the state and #13 in the country behind Marion with Jay Edwards and a Lyndon Jones who would be ranked #1 in the state and #1 in the country. No class basketball at its finest. LCC made the final 4 that year losing in the semi state final to Gary Roosevelt.

One of the things my wife "did" for many years was work all the peripherals for Ivy Tech and an IU extension for graduation. In the process of doing that, she worked close with the IU person in Bloomington who by all measures I could tell was a really good person. There were many times he mentioned to Kim how well Purdue was doing or IU dropped another one.

He mentioned how nice a man Crean was and when Tom was let go, Tom brought all his IU clothes etc. to him for his use. We all know a few things he did that was odd, but I have no reason to think he wasn't a nice person. I mean there were a few times he had more raw talent than Purdue and even at Bloomington there were a few times he gave some gifts to Purdue.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT