ADVERTISEMENT

Flory

We have a NPoY center who came in as a nobody. How could you ignore Purdue?
I think the question is whether he goes to college. If he goes to college, Purdue by all logic should be a choice. Matt must think he may still go to college. He would be a great get and Purdue would be good for his skill development...if he goes to college.

Calipari is there too. Izzo was there a couple days ago.
I didn't realize they were playing. I now know why I haven't connected with someone on the phone (Chuck McCoskey) who is most likely there. @Fansince72 I just learned that Bruce Taflinger (coached at Kokomo) has terminal cancer a couple of hours ago and been trying to reach out to Chuck and get some info before talking with Bruce. Bruce wanted me to go with him to a lot of Kokomo games this year. How quickly things change. Knowing Bruce I know he would appreciate for those so inclined some prayers. Nobody needs to respond that they offered prayers. I just mention it for those inclined to do such. I hate the C word...

Just got a phone call and said Matt is at Kokomo now. Matt must think there is still a chance and is working hard until Flory decides.
They got beat by Zionsville. The box isn’t up yet.

Edit. I think their record is 4-3. They’ve toughened up their schedule.

Edit2. They play in Laf on January 27th at Jeff. Tickets are beginning to become an issue.

Last edited:
A little brain fog on Shawn. Could Flory be a bit quicker and Kemp a bit stronger and more skilled??? Still, to be mentioned as a comp is quite complimentary for Flory
Very similar size wise, at least when comparing them as juniors in high school. Both with surprising ball handling and passing skills.

Would have to give Kemp a slight edge in athleticism… at least from what I remember.

Maybe @bonefish1 can help.

Reactions: tjreese
didn't a kid from Richmond ...maybe a Ball State commit around 6'3" win Mr. Basketball which the kid was good, but Shawn was denied Mr Basketball (Ft Wayne Concordia???) Nobody needs to look it up...just thinking outloud
Kemp went to Concord HS South of Elkhart.

he was considered to be one of the top four or five players nationally his senior year,[citation needed] and led his team to the state championship finals. Kemp ended his high school career as Elkhart County's all-time leading scorer and the owner of Concord's career, single-game and single-season scoring records.[4] Despite his achievements and accolades, Kemp was bypassed for the title of Indiana Mr. Basketball; Woody Austin won the award that year instead. There has been some speculation that Kemp was purposely passed over for the award because he verbally committed to the University of Kentucky and did not express interest in staying in-state to play college ball (Austin committed to Purdue University.)[5][6][7] Kemp was selected to the 1988 McDonald's High School All-American team (considered one of the best classes of all-time),[8][9] along with such notable players as Alonzo Mourning. Kemp scored a team-high 18 points for the West in a losing cause. The final score was 105–99 in favor of the East.[10]

Last edited:
Reactions: SKYDOG and tjreese
yes...remember now. not sure how I got that mixed up with the kid that went to Ball State...Chandler Thompson maybe???? must be having that brain fog due to the shots ;)
Woody and Chandler played against each other in the NCC ! What a conference back in the 80s.

Kemp was a beast at times.....I recall one series with the Sonics against the Jazz where he was a huge problem for Karl Malone - one particular drive from Malone just was completely smothered by Kemp - hadn't seen too many people do that to the Mailman.

Here's another highlight play (special delivery) -

Correct, think he even blocked one of SKs shots that night. Kemp fouled out and MC won. MC had another kid (name?) that went off that night for a ton of pts.
Kemp fouled out a bunch. When they beat Warsaw in the regionals the previous year, he and Rick Fox both fouled out.

Reactions: Boiler Buck
I was at the game. Flory still needs a lot of work. I saw Painter but did not locate Cal or Izzo. Flory is really raw. I'm honestly surprised he is the #4 recruit. I dont think he had more than 6-8 points. He is pretty much a defensive and lob player at this point. Dont think he is a one and done unless he develops a lot going into his senior year. The Imes kid from Zionsville is pretty solid. He isnt a great athlete but I think he will contribute for Penn State down the road.

Bonzi Wells was another great one from MC.
@ThirdGenBoiler I just got off the phone with Chuck and he said Bruce does not know what is the problem How rumors got started with a lady that "heard" this and relayed that to Kim who called me I'll never know. Bruce is dealing with it fine and waiting to see Dr Moore who Rick Shuck (you know) recommended Bruce to see and I understand the MD didn't see a problem waiting to see Annette Moore and so it doesn't appear as dire as I was led to believe. Rick apparently has some form of cancer and takes a "pill" for it. Also, Jimmy Rayl's grandson "Jimbo" also is battling cancer.

Now for what might be an interest to all Purdue fans. Chuck said his grandsons got autographs from Matt and are on top of the world. Chuck said Matt was so gracious adding to other stories of the kindness Matt shows. Said Calipari didn't stay for the full game and said Kokomo shot a horrible percent and didn't really show any adjustment or focused effort to get Flory the ball. Apparently took what the D gave which combined with Matt's previous words through the year..."there's a reason why you are open" explains a lot. ;)

Now I guess there will be about 8 teams playing at Kokomo Dec 29 & 30 and BRownsburg will be one if some want to catch Catchings as well.

I was at the game. Flory still needs a lot of work. I saw Painter but did not locate Cal or Izzo. Flory is really raw. I'm honestly surprised he is the #4 recruit. I dont think he had more than 6-8 points. He is pretty much a defensive and lob player at this point. Dont think he is a one and done unless he develops a lot going into his senior year. The Imes kid from Zionsville is pretty solid. He isnt a great athlete but I think he will contribute for Penn State down the road.
yeah, chuck was impressed with Imes. Izzo was there a few games ago. The tea leaves suggest Flory is going to college. Flory needs skill development and why Purdue would be great for him, but he has already improved a lot in a bit over a year

@ThirdGenBoiler I just got off the phone with Chuck and he said Bruce does not know what is the problem How rumors got started with a lady that "heard" this and relayed that to Kim who called me I'll never know. Bruce is dealing with it fine and waiting to see Dr Moore who Rick Shuck (you know) recommended Bruce to see and I understand the MD didn't see a problem waiting to see Annette Moore and so it doesn't appear as dire as I was led to believe. Rick apparently has some form of cancer and takes a "pill" for it. Also, Jimmy Rayl's grandson "Jimbo" also is battling cancer.

Now for what might be an interest to all Purdue fans. Chuck said his grandsons got autographs from Matt and are on top of the world. Chuck said Matt was so gracious adding to other stories of the kindness Matt shows. Said Calipari didn't stay for the full game and said Kokomo shot a horrible percent and didn't really show any adjustment or focused effort to get Flory the ball. Apparently took what the D gave which combined with Matt's previous words through the year..."there's a reason why you are open" explains a lot. ;)

Now I guess there will be about 8 teams playing at Kokomo Dec 29 & 30 and BRownsburg will be one if some want to catch Catchings as well.
Jimbo is Rayls son. KHS of 85

who
Kemp fouled out a bunch. When they beat Warsaw in the regionals the previous year, he and Rick Fox both fouled out.
was the other kid (highly rated guard) he played with? Got into a car accident and never played again. the name is right there, just can't reach it.

yeah, chuck was impressed with Imes. Izzo was there a few games ago. The tea leaves suggest Flory is going to college. Flory needs skill development and why Purdue would be great for him, but he has already improved a lot in a bit over a year
Flory needs to be at the least a 2 year college player, I realize money reasons might prevent that, however, he’s green, he’ll dominate lesser opponents, he won’t dominate opponents that are near his size and have some basketball ability.

Flory needs to be at the least a 2 year college player, I realize money reasons might prevent that, however, he’s green, he’ll dominate lesser opponents, he won’t dominate opponents that are near his size and have some basketball ability.
over a year ago I said the same things except for the 2 years since I had no time line, but then there was talk he wouldn't see college but go to the g league. He needs the skill improved, but under the right circumstances he would dominate players his own size because he is quick, very athletic and has a great motor. FWIW, my tea leaves which may be a bit different than others says Purdue may be in the thick of it...

Jimmy is a friend of mine. I am also class of 85
I knew he was since you posted previously about playing ball on his goal, but couldn't remember if his name was "Jimmy" or Jimbo. Chuck said grandson or at least I thought he did and why I wrote what I did. I'm not sure who is where with two site now that I read and post ;)

Reactions: Schnelk
I knew he was since you posted previously about playing ball on his goal, but couldn't remember if his name was "Jimmy" or Jimbo. Chuck said grandson or at least I thought he did and why I wrote what I did. I'm not sure who is where with two site now that I read and post ;)
He goes by Jimbo but I call him Jimmy like most people who knew him as a teen. His claim to fame is as Terhune #5 in the movie Hoosiers.

He is a huge Purdue fan however, (even though his dad is a Hoosier hero) and his son is a preferred walk-on next year at Purdue.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT