ADVERTISEMENT

Fire Matt Painter Petition...

Just to provide some context to why I said this (just so '@mathboy' has the right info before he starts on another red bull / stimulant induced text wall)

Pally went from:
Schools are lining up to hire Painter off our hands --> Painter would be hired at any top program -> Painter is not leaving Purdue -> Schools like Arkansas would immediately jump all over Painter if he were to leave -> People refuting said claim --> (Pally reverting back to) Painter is not leaving Purdue --> Pally asking why people are still responding to him --> Pally asking why people are whining.
(rinse and repeat, not 100% in the same order however)
Painter has had interest/offers from power 5 schools, and would have another power 5 job in a week if our AD was an irrational, emotion-driven moron.

Luckily, Mike Bobinski is not.

Newman was never benched for missing open 3's, it was for a forced unopen shot or a turnover usually.
We are going to have forced shots and turnovers with shooters an ball handlers -but you know that. IMO Painter should have given him more leeway.

Last edited:
Reactions: clankhan
Playing bums like Stefanovic and Morton way too many minutes.
I love it when people who do not see how players practice sit back and decide who should be getting minutes and who shouldn't. Did you say the same about Wheeler vs. Eifert?

This is my first post since the disaster Friday night. I guess it comes down to three things for me:

1) That loss to FDU was absolutely unacceptable and will permanently tarnish the legacy of a team that otherwise impressively overachieved. 30 years from now, nobody's going to remember that a team led by a guy who started playing basketball mid-way through high school and a couple true freshmen won 29 games and the outright B1G championship. They'll just remember that this team choked away the biggest upset loss in the history of the NCAA Tournament. That's too bad, but it's reality.

2) Purdue's recent trend in the NCAA Tournament is unacceptable. Painter is accountable for reversing it. Purdue was actually a really tough out in Painter's early years. From 2007 to 2012, 5 of the 6 teams that knocked Purdue out of the NCAA Tournament advanced to the Final Four. Two won the title. Only one was seeded below 3. Since 2015, Purdue has lost to four double-digit seeds, and only Virginia has advanced to the Final Four. That's on Painter, and it has to change.

3) We're crazy if we think Bobinski is going to fire Painter this year. No AD in the country would fire a coach coming off a 29-win season and an outright conference championship. Furthermore, no credible coach would come to Purdue knowing that what Painter accomplished this year will get him fired.

No kidding. I have seen posters on here I've never seen before, displaying a sad lack of knowledge. Clankhan is a great example. Seems to have been a long-term member since 2016, but never posted until we lost. Since then it's been nothing but vitriol in every post. Real dumb stuff mostly. He must have bet more than he could lose on this kid's game. Then wants to spout over here. Frankly I'd rather read the stuff from bonefish than Clank's crap. At least Lenny has been with us through feast & famine, and most importantly posts with respect for other members.
Clank is not a Purdue grad nor a Purdue fan. Even people who have never had any association with the university would not make some of the incorrect statements he has made. Just a silly, bored kid looking for attention.

Clank is not a Purdue grad nor a Purdue fan. Even people who have never had any association with the university would not make some of the incorrect statements he has made. Just a silly, bored kid looking for attention.
oh no, I don’t know how I’ll ever sleep at night.

Keep grasping at straws Andy.

I love it when people who do not see how players practice sit back and decide who should be getting minutes and who shouldn't. Did you say the same about Wheeler vs. Eifert?
Lol. So you’re saying that Eifert had a bigger ceiling than Wheeler ? Are you saying you’d rather have Eifert fight Diakite for the rebound instead of Wheeler?

I’m not sure about you but you don’t have to be some sort of Basketball guru to see the difference in size and ability.

Maybe your accusation earlier was merely you projecting?

Lol. So you’re saying that Eifert had a bigger ceiling than Wheeler ? Are you saying you’d rather have Eifert fight Diakite for the rebound instead of Wheeler?

I’m not sure about you but you don’t have to be some sort of Basketball guru to see the difference in size and ability.

Maybe your accusation earlier was merely you projecting?
Since you obviously didn't watch the games, I wouldn't expect you to understand. Emmanuel Dowuona was also much bigger and more athletic. How could Painter -- and you -- have possibly missed that fact?

First of all, I went to Purdue when Painter played. I like him as a person and I think he a good regular season coach, but not many people outside of the Midwest care much about BIG titles and certainly not the national media calling Purdue the "Choke Artist Program of the Decade" etc...
College basketball is all about March and us losing to North Texas (#13), St. Peters (#15), Fairleigh Dickinson (#16) along with Little Rock etc. are not acceptable for program like Purdue.

The head coach is the CEO of their program, so when you have failed on the biggest stage you should be accountable for his failure.
I think Painter has become too comfortable, too stubborn and too rigid for the good of Purdue.
So with this petition, this is your chance to voice your displeasure with Matt Painter.
This might not get him fired but it should be put him on notice to at the very least to make major changes if he wants keep his job.

The people who have a history of wanting Painter fired had a golden opportunity. But they overplayed their hand. The NCAA tourney debacle had every Purdue fan wondering if the time was right for a change. But when the self-appointed "leaders" of the movement began talking about Kelvin Sampson and Rick Pitino as alternatives to bring a banner to Purdue, and then openly wishing that star recruits would decommit to speed along Painter's firing, it causes the more sane fans to pause and reflect. It became clear that for some people, the demand for change wasn't about Purdue University or Purdue basketball. It was about their self-esteem and their desperate need to be associated with a winner.

They may get another opportunity. No one knows what will happen next year. But if we see another embarassing end to the season, my advice to the "Ainters" is to not make it about you. Don't advocate things that will have long-term negative effects on Purdue. Most Purdue grads do not believe that the ends justify the means. So, do not make insanely radical statements about recruits or coaching choices that any level-headed person would not accept just to hang a banner in Mackey.

Since you obviously didn't watch the games, I wouldn't expect you to understand. Emmanuel Dowuona was also much bigger and more athletic. How could Painter -- and you -- have possibly missed that fact?
Lol. What does Dowuona have to do with wheeler and eifert? If YOU were an actual purdue fan you’d know that he was riding the bench all season and is almost the same height as Trevion And Wheeler. Why would we put him in? Are YOU sure you are a purdue fan?

Are you saying that in a free throw rebounding situation, you’d rather have Eifert rather than Wheeler or Big Cat?

Last edited:
To want to replace Painter is ridiculous. So much of what he does is what you want from a coach and a program. On the other hand, expecting Painter to adapt his coaching is a reasonable requirement going forward. He just needs to tweak a few things to be better prepared for challenges on the court. The players say that the hardest class they have to take as a freshman is to learn the playbook. Seems to me that maybe the playbook is too damn thick. I have read where we have over 350 different offensive sets. If that is the case, that to me is a waste of paper and time. Pare down the playbook, institute a zone defense so that you can throw off the other teams offense and stop teams like St. Peter's and FDU. Stop being so predictable. Change how we handle the press. What we do currently against the press is crazy. We should take advantage of the situation to score. We have good enough athletes to break the press. This wait on a double team is the craziest way to advance a ball that I have ever watched.

Lol. What does Dowuona have to do with wheeler and eifert?

Are you saying that in a free throw rebounding situation, you’d rather have Eifert rather than Wheeler or Big Cat?
Yeah cuz Eifert hadn’t gotten any important rebounds in that game…

• Haha
Painter obviously shouldn't be fired.
Reality check for everyone, if Purdue loses to a #14 seed in the first round next season he still won't be fired
The same boosters who won’t fill the NIL coffers to buy difference makers are the same ones who won’t spend 8 figures to buy him out. It’s simple math…

Yeah cuz Eifert hadn’t gotten any important rebounds in that game…
The other issue apparently unnoticed is that Trevion was horrible about blocking out on FTs. Great offensive and defensive rebounder, but that lack of attention to detail on Fts...like many times not stepping into the offensive player rather than stepping forward happened way toooooo many times.

To want to replace Painter is ridiculous. So much of what he does is what you want from a coach and a program. On the other hand, expecting Painter to adapt his coaching is a reasonable requirement going forward. He just needs to tweak a few things to be better prepared for challenges on the court. The players say that the hardest class they have to take as a freshman is to learn the playbook. Seems to me that maybe the playbook is too damn thick. I have read where we have over 350 different offensive sets. If that is the case, that to me is a waste of paper and time. Pare down the playbook, institute a zone defense so that you can throw off the other teams offense and stop teams like St. Peter's and FDU. Stop being so predictable. Change how we handle the press. What we do currently against the press is crazy. We should take advantage of the situation to score. We have good enough athletes to break the press. This wait on a double team is the craziest way to advance a ball that I have ever watched.
Well put. This is about where I'm at. Matt Painter is a very good basketball coach. The entire Purdue community can be proud of the program he runs. That said, it's undeniable that he needs to reevaluate his approach to the NCAA Tournament, especially against smaller, scrappier teams.

Painter needs to stop this trend from snowballing further. Plucky mid-majors now have every reason to believe they can beat Purdue in the NCAA Tournament. Our own players seem to have lost confidence in winning those match-ups.

Well put. This is about where I'm at. Matt Painter is a very good basketball coach. The entire Purdue community can be proud of the program he runs. That said, it's undeniable that he needs to reevaluate his approach to the NCAA Tournament, especially against smaller, scrappier teams.

Painter needs to stop this trend from snowballing further. Plucky mid-majors now have every reason to believe they can beat Purdue in the NCAA Tournament. Our own players seem to have lost confidence in winning those match-ups.
I support Painter but this has to be a wake up call.
I hope to see some significant changes to either the roster or the strategy.

If Painter doesn't sign any significant transfers and loses again in the tournament to another double digit seed for the 4th consecutive year then I'll be very disappointed in him.

He has to know that this is a must win year for Purdue.

If Painter doesn't sign any significant transfers and loses again in the tournament to another double digit seed for the 4th consecutive year then I'll be very disappointed in him.

I’m hoping he does change but I have very little faith he will.

Reactions: SKYDOG

Here's an article that makes that exact point.

Yes I remember. Painter waited until the last second which meant all of the good players were now expensive and he still didn't offer a penny.

Hopefully he learned from that debacle.
Once is mistake, twice is a decision.

It will be so frustrating if we're reading the same article next year about how he missed on Nelson in the portal. It's like a bad record stuck on repeat.

We have the Boilermaker Alliance NIL Collective chaired by Drew Brees. I'm sure if he went crying to Drew he'd cut him a check right away.

Last edited:
Agree with most of this, with one exception:
The press breaking blame is on his failure last offseason. Gotta spend some money in the portal so we have more than 1 ball handler next season.

Yes I remember. Painter waited until the last second which meant all of the good players were now expensive and didn't offer a penny.

Hopefully he learned from that debacle.
Once is mistake, twice is a decision.

It will be so frustrating if we're reading the same article next year about how he missed on Nelson in the portal. It's like a bad record stuck on repeat.

We have the Boilermaker Alliance NIL Collective chaired by Drew Brees. I'm sure if he went crying to Drew he'd cut him a check right away.
Hopefully the Purdue AD and the basketball staff are working on a plan that is better than, “who can we get for free?”

I thought last year would have been a wake up call. Unfortunately it happened again. This years loss was a total embarrassment for the fans and anyone associated with the team. I still support Painter, but he must change things to get a more positive result.

Reactions: clankhan and z_one
I thought last year would have been a wake up call. Unfortunately it happened again. This years loss was a total embarrassment for the fans and anyone associated with the team. I still support Painter, but he must change things to get a more positive result.
I still am shocked that the North Texas game - in Indy, nonetheless - wasn't the wake up call. I joined this board in the aftermath of St. Peter's. And now here we are.

Reactions: z_one and SKYDOG
Hopefully the Purdue AD and the basketball staff are working on a plan that is better than, “who can we get for free?”

Painter is unlikely to change anything. It's his point of pride that he rarely uses the transfer portal and doesn't offer NIL.

Unfortunately it's likely that he will just add another backfill for Jenkins to play 15 minutes per game and average 4 ppg.

I still am shocked that the North Texas game - in Indy, nonetheless - wasn't the wake up call. I joined this board in the aftermath of St. Peter's. And now here we are.
I wouldn't be surprised if this happens next year. There probably won't be a significant roster change. I'm sure almost every D1 coach has taken a look at the Purdue - FDU game to see how the historic upset occurred.

The next mid major Purdue faces in the tournament will be confident and well prepared.

If we shoot 18% from 3 on 26 attempts no single player can bail you out (unless that player can hit a ton of 3's).
Smith turned the ball over 7 times with a turnover rate of 42% and had a box plus minus of -8.9 against FDU

Nijel Pack would have likely played better and it's possible that's all Purdue would have needed to win

Painter is unlikely to change anything. It's his point of pride that he rarely uses the transfer portal and doesn't offer NIL.

Unfortunately it's likely that he will just add another backfill for Jenkins to play 15 minutes per game and average 4 ppg.

I wouldn't be surprised if this happens next year. There probably won't be a significant roster change. I'm sure almost every D1 coach has taken a look at the Purdue - FDU game to see how the historic upset occurred.

The next mid major Purdue faces in the tournament will be confident and well prepared.
He must change at least how to break and attack the press. That alone would be huge and more than likely more wins against teams that have no business beating them.

Reactions: clankhan and z_one
Smith turned the ball over 7 times with a turnover rate of 42% and had a box plus minus of -8.9 against FDU

Nijel Pack would have likely played better and it's possible that's all Purdue would have needed to win
So who's coming up with the 800K to buy him? Seems easy until reality hits you in the face.

So who's coming up with the 800K to buy him? Seems easy until reality hits you in the face.
Well Painter and the coaching staff thought they sell Nijel Pack to sign for $0 so he can sing kumbaya with Furst, his former AAU teammate.
So Pack waited to hear more offers. Surprise, someone swooped in and took him and Purdue had a freshman point guard play 36 minutes to lose as a #1 against a #16.

Reality hit someone in the face and it wasn't me

Well Painter and the coaching staff thought they sell Nijel Pack to sign for $0 so he can sing kumbaya with Furst, his former AAU teammate.
So Pack waited to hear more offers. Surprise, someone swooped in and took him and Purdue had a freshman point guard play 36 minutes to lose as a #1 against a #16.

Reality hit someone in the face and it wasn't me
What? We needed 800K. Who was getting it? That's the reality I'm referring to!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT