ADVERTISEMENT

2023 Final Four

All fun, enjoyed those moments too. Purdue has a fine program, but like the Orton fumble, when a chance to be more than "fine" presents itself, Purdue has not been up to the challenge.
Yeah, I will agree to that. Purdue basketball is nationally respectable, well above average. But, not elite.

Most of the time I celebrate the accomplishments. For about two weeks every spring I bemoan the losses.

I can spout whatever crapola I want about Painter, or recruiting, or Braden Smith, or NIL, or Fletch, or whatever else today. Sometimes it's cathartic.

But, I'll be all-in next November. Edey or not. Because that's what Boilers do.

Even with a series playoff format (less football) , the best regular season pro team often doesn't win either.

This was from a 2016 article,
and reflected the number of regular season teams with the best record (including those who tied for best record) to then win the championship.
(totals reflected their current playoff formats through 2016. e.g. MLB wild card era, NBA 16 team format, etc)

MLB 19 percent (4-of-21)
NFL 31 percent (8-of-26)
NHL 31 percent (11-of-36)
NBA 48 percent (16-of-33)

Last edited:
Even with a series playoff format (less football) , the best regular season pro teams sometimes don't win either.

This was through 2016,
and reflected the number of the best regular season teams (including those who tied for best record) to then win the championship.
(totals reflected their current playoff formats through 2016. e.g. MLB wild card era, NBA 16 team format, etc)

MLB 19 percent (4-of-21)
NFL 31 percent (8-of-26)
NHL 31 percent (11-of-36)
NBA 48 percent (16-of-33)
The professional playoff teams are represented by the winners of division affiliation.
So, for example, the winners of the 6 NBA divisions, 6 MLB divisions, have a best of series to determine the team that keeps moving forward.
Your assumption is that all the divisions are equal. They are not.

The professional playoff teams are represented by the winners of division affiliation.
So, for example, the winners of the 6 NBA divisions, 6 MLB divisions, have a best of series to determine the team that keeps moving forward.
Your assumption is that all the divisions are equal. They are not.
NBA is straight conference standings now.

Some may disagree, but I say the World Series champion in MLB is legitimate… the NBA winner is as predictable as the sunrise, IMO

The Stanley Cup is far and away the toughest to win.
Stanley Cup and baseball are tough, lots of flukes happen, a puck hitting off 3 guys, a bloop hit in baseball etc. Usually NBA is about the best few players, now many are really close so this one will be fun to watch.

If you want the regular season to have any meaning then let the teams go back to playing on their home court like the women do. Currently regular season championships are meaningless! It’s all about what you do in the dance!

What’s the biggest criticism of Painter? He can’t make the final 4. Nobody cares what he or Purdue did during the regular season. It’s all become about the dance!

So what the NCAA needs to do is to do something to give back some importance to the regular season and conference championships.

My suggestion other than allowing teams to play on their home court is to reduce the amount of teams in the big dance rather than expand it to include more teams! By expanding the dance, the regular season becomes less meaningful. By reducing the amount of teams, you give more importance to winning conference championships. I’d eliminate the play in games!
That way no FDU and Boilers still dancing!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT