ADVERTISEMENT

Few things to consider about PFB moving forward

Dec 17, 2019
It’s painfully obvious that CRW was not the first option for Bobo. It’s a product of all of the other options either using us for a pay raise or outright saying no. This was not a surprise to me and it shouldn’t be a surprise to any of you. We might be the cradle of QBs but we are not a football powerhouse. It’s really easy to understand why certain prospective coaches said ‘nah’.

This season is lost. Figure out how you decide to believe and accept it and move on in your own way. I’ll still watch our games and I’ll still root for our team as many of you guys will, too.

The biggest thing to look forward to is the House decision that college schools can spend up to 23.1 millions to student athletes in a calendar year. How will Purdue athletics decide to distribute that? Being a land grant U that takes no AD funds from the traditional institution, I’d expect us to be able to spend literally all of that on our student athletes.

That might allow us to ‘buy’ the type of players that make a CRW defense (1-high safety) shine in college again like it did at ILL and then we’re all back on the bandwagon.

Just some thoughts.

I’ve read a lot about the potential changes that will be coming soon.

However , there is a phrase that has caught my eye. The phrase is “UP TO”. Every article I’ve read said universities can spend “UP TO” that amount of money. It doesn’t say schools are required to spend that amount of money. The wording makes it appear as if the schools can determine on their own how much money they want to spend without a minimum amount stipulated.

WHAT IF !!!!!!!!

What if Purdue doesn’t want to spend that amount of money? What if Purdue only wants to spend half of that amount? I don’t see anything legally requiring Purdue to spend that much.

As fans, we say alright, we have millions we can now spend and get some great athletes! I remember in the old days. When the Brewers and Bucks and Packers had a lot of money to spend on free agents and the free agents didn’t want to accept their money. Recently the Packers could have matched the offer Davante Adams received to play for the Raiders. He decided he didn’t want the Packers money. It’s the same with Purdue basketball. 5 recent highly regarded recruits chose other schools. And in their cases it wasn’t about the money, but rather it was about guaranteed playing time.

So I ask again. Sure, Purdue could spend up to $23 million. But is there any requirement that will force them to do so? What if they refuse ?

Something that is also not being said. Universities can spend up to that amount of money. What if they don’t have that money to spend? What if they have been applying all that Big10 network revenue money to stadium, arena and facility maintenance and upgrades? Do you want facility upgrades? Or do you want to pay rental athletes?

It’s painfully obvious that CRW was not the first option for Bobo. It’s a product of all of the other options either using us for a pay raise or outright saying no. This was not a surprise to me and it shouldn’t be a surprise to any of you. We might be the cradle of QBs but we are not a football powerhouse. It’s really easy to understand why certain prospective coaches said ‘nah’.

This season is lost. Figure out how you decide to believe and accept it and move on in your own way. I’ll still watch our games and I’ll still root for our team as many of you guys will, too.

The biggest thing to look forward to is the House decision that college schools can spend up to 23.1 millions to student athletes in a calendar year. How will Purdue athletics decide to distribute that? Being a land grant U that takes no AD funds from the traditional institution, I’d expect us to be able to spend literally all of that on our student athletes.

That might allow us to ‘buy’ the type of players that make a CRW defense (1-high safety) shine in college again like it did at ILL and then we’re all back on the bandwagon.

Just some thoughts.
I don't know where he was on the list but I don't think it was too far down. IIRC it was reported the first interview/contact was in Indianapolis the weekend we were playing the BTCG. I didn't think this was like Hazell where we first whiffed on Butch Jones, the NIU coach, and maybe a couple of others.

I find it funny how many Purdue fans want to fire him after 2 years... And simultaneously dog Indiana for firing a coach.
Don't get the latter part of this. I rarely want IU to fire a coach when they are considering it. I remember discussions here about if it would be worth it to lose a game to IU if that would make them keep Tom Allen or Mike Woodson or Archie Miller or whoever. I think most feared you would stumble on a good one eventually and it seems you have.

I don't think the new BIG and all the changes in college sports helps you hiring a new coach. The schedule just keeps getting worse which makes it harder and harder to turn things around.

Face it, we've become the Washington Generals of the BIG. The occasional opponent for the top level to circle as a win and a bit of a break. You accidentally get a really good player, the big dogs of college football are just going to come in and out bid you for them and take them anyways.

Just time to admit what the situation really is, we aren't competing in football, so just cash the checks coming in and focus on Basketball and other sports.

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER
I don't think the new BIG and all the changes in college sports helps you hiring a new coach. The schedule just keeps getting worse which makes it harder and harder to turn things around.

Face it, we've become the Washington Generals of the BIG. The occasional opponent for the top level to circle as a win and a bit of a break. You accidentally get a really good player, the big dogs of college football are just going to come in and out bid you for them and take them anyways.

Just time to admit what the situation really is, we aren't competing in football, so just cash the checks coming in and focus on Basketball and other sports.
It's an excuse. Some MLB teams have found ways to compete in spite of a huge deficit in resources to most of their competitors. I don't know if there is a moneyball type of solution in college football but whatever the solution is I hope we think about it innovatively and try to figure it out. I do know we saw a bunch of upsets last weekend so it's very possible for us to compete with and beat the top programs when we get it together.

It's an excuse. Some MLB teams have found ways to compete in spite of a huge deficit in resources to most of their competitors. I don't know if there is a moneyball type of solution in college football but whatever the solution is I hope we think about it innovatively and try to figure it out. I do know we saw a bunch of upsets last weekend so it's very possible for us to compete with and beat the top programs when we get it together.
With baseball, you still have contracts. With college, a guy shows enough, there is nothing stopping him from then sitting out to preserve his year for a better program. MLB doesn't have to potentially rebuild their entire roster every year which is where we are heading.

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER

That's really a defeatist perspective. While I'm resigned to the fact that we'll never be OSU, UM or PSU in football (and it took me a while to admit that), there's no reason Purdue can't be in that second tier and put the fear of God into those teams when we play them,
Hopefully this year is an anomaly and we right the ship, but the expectation should be 6-8 wins with the occasional 9-10 win season, regular bowl appearances and beating a team or two you're not supposed to every year.

With baseball, you still have contracts. With college, a guy shows enough, there is nothing stopping him from then sitting out to preserve his year for a better program. MLB doesn't have to potentially rebuild their entire roster every year which is where we are heading.
Presently that is the case. I think something will eventually happen to limit transfers as this moves closer and closer to professional sports.

That's really a defeatist perspective. While I'm resigned to the fact that we'll never be OSU, UM or PSU in football (and it took me a while to admit that), there's no reason Purdue can't be in that second tier and put the fear of God into those teams when we play them,
Hopefully this year is an anomaly and we right the ship, but the expectation should be 6-8 wins with the occasional 9-10 win season, regular bowl appearances and beating a team or two you're not supposed to every year.
But that's the problem, you have now added USC and maybe Washington to that top group, the more you have in that top group means you push people down farther and more losses means harder to recruit and hire coaches.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT