ADVERTISEMENT

Embarrassing...

DAG10

All-American
Nov 2, 2018
Just that simple...it is embarrassing that Purdue can't win a short yardage situation on either side of the ball...the Rutgers game plan could have been designed by a kindergarten student, yet, Purdue's DC and staff had no answer at all for it...from a scheme standpoint, or personnel standpoint.

It is mind boggling just how bad Purdue is up front on both sides of the ball...and Brohm should be embarrassed himself...Rutgers was just laughing at Purdue...clowning on them...and, Purdue flat out deserved it.

There is literally NOTHING that Purdue is good at...nothing...and, that goes to the Head Coach.

Purdue hit rock bottom under his predecessor, but, to be as bad as they are at this point under him is a joke...and, quite frankly, way more disappointing and frustrating...he actually had more success with Hazell's guys somehow?!?

What I don't understand is how Rutgers was literally shit under Ash and less than a year later, Schiano has them playing more physically than Brohm after 4 years on the job. I'm done with the excuses. Either Brohm starts winning consistently next year, or he should be gone. This program should be getting much more based on what Brohm is getting paid...

What I don't understand is how Rutgers was literally shit under Ash and less than a year later, Schiano has them playing more physically than Brohm after 4 years on the job. I'm done with the excuses. Either Brohm starts winning consistently next year, or he should be gone. This program should be getting much more based on what Brohm is getting paid...
Just embarrassing to be dominated in the fashion that they were...by RUTGERS nonetheless...I mean, credit/props to Schiano and Rutgers, especially in that he has them playing that hard and physical as you said in such a short time and Brohm/staff do not, but, that is just flat out embarrassing what just transpired.

Brohm would do well to just apologize...with sincerity.

It is a joke that he is so coy about everything that he is, as he has himself been bad this year in literally every way...going back to his coaching staff moves that have all backfired thus far.

I think this was a turning point for the Brohm era. Just a physical beatdown, and including just awful play calling, against Rutgers in year 4 should not happen. Honestly, I don’t see how it gets any better at this point but you have to give him another year. If you fire a coach for his performance in 2020, you will never get anyone to come here ever again. But this game might have done this whole era in.

Just embarrassing to be dominated in the fashion that they were...by RUTGERS nonetheless...I mean, credit/props to Schiano and Rutgers, especially in that he has them playing that hard and physical as you said in such a short time and Brohm/staff do not, but, that is just flat out embarrassing what just transpired.

Brohm would do well to just apologize...with sincerity.

It is a joke that he is so coy about everything that he is, as he has himself been bad this year in literally every way...going back to his coaching staff moves that have all backfired thus far.
I wonder what Nick Holt is thing right about now?

Reactions: DAG10
Frustrating that we are not winning one possession games. The line play is still not up to par, yet we continue to hang in there.

Defense needs work. All levels need to be fixed. I don’t think we are as far away as some people think. I’m not as down on the coaches as some are. I didn’t like the QB run on 3rd down though.

Reactions: JohnHoosierr

by bringing in about 15 transfers

Frustrating that we are not winning one possession games. The line play is still not up to par, yet we continue to hang in there.

Defense needs work. All levels need to be fixed. I don’t think we are as far away as some people think. I’m not as down on the coaches as some are. I didn’t like the QB run on 3rd down though.
Where do we start?

1) Abandon the running game when we have momentum.
2) Absolute complete fail on special teams that simply should not happen against Rutgers.
3) Complete blown coverages by the secondary on 2 consecutive possessions in the first half with no adjustments 4) The defense looked completely unaware of what they were gonna face in this game.
5) Co-Offensive coordinators and co-defensive coordinators. But yet Brohm continues to call plays.

Reactions: DAG10 and NVboiler

Horvath is making yards and you take it out of his hands...back to the QB again. Did we not learn anything from previous games this season?!

Horvath is making yards and you take it out of his hands...back to the QB again. Did we not learn anything from previous games this season?!
I remember a long number of years ago watching a few Purdue games when I was able to. I always marveled how the Purdue coaches could pull defeat out of the jaws of victory. Sure, when something is working excellently and you're ahead, quit doing it before they stop it and insert other plays that fail.

by bringing in about 15 transfers

Rutgers has 3 starters on offense that are transfers, but only 2 started today. That was Cruickshank (WR) and Haskins (TE). The QB (Verdal) was out today, so 9 of the starters today were Ash guys. The majority of the transfers are defensive guys. Also, of the 15 transfers, only half are eligible this year.

Reactions: KevH
Rutgers has 3 starters on offense that are transfers, but only 2 started today. That was Cruickshank (WR) and Haskins (TE). The QB (Verdal) was out today, so 9 of the starters today were Ash guys. The majority of the transfers are defensive guys. Also, of the 15 transfers, only half are eligible this year.

Dwumfour and White are the most impactful transfers on defense. Other guys need to develop.

Schiano is just a perfect fit here and Gleason is an offensive genius.

Schiano is doing what a smart coach does......if it means getting TRANSFERS or JC players to build....then thats what you do...whatever it takes to win!!!

Just that simple...it is embarrassing that Purdue can't win a short yardage situation on either side of the ball...the Rutgers game plan could have been designed by a kindergarten student, yet, Purdue's DC and staff had no answer at all for it...from a scheme standpoint, or personnel standpoint.

It is mind boggling just how bad Purdue is up front on both sides of the ball...and Brohm should be embarrassed himself...Rutgers was just laughing at Purdue...clowning on them...and, Purdue flat out deserved it.

There is literally NOTHING that Purdue is good at...nothing...and, that goes to the Head Coach.

Purdue hit rock bottom under his predecessor, but, to be as bad as they are at this point under him is a joke...and, quite frankly, way more disappointing and frustrating...he actually had more success with Hazell's guys somehow?!?

2 opposing coordinators who played at tiny Group 1 schools in Essex County, NJ , 3 miles apart. Sean Gleeson of Glen Ridge against Bob Diaco of Cedar Grove. Glen Ridge could never beat Cedar Grove, but Gleeson got his revenge today, lol.

Last edited:
Rutgers alum and season ticket holder...you ask the difference between Chris Ash and Greg Schiano..called coaching.

Our son is a freshman at a Purdue. Great school. Best of luck versus Nebby then Indiana.

Reactions: bori_blanco

Ash was unprepared to be a HC . Schiano sparks confidence and has the Team playing fundamentally sound Football.
The hiring of OC Gleeson was huge. This team is 2 plays away from being 4-2. Illinois and Michigan were given gifts at the end of the games.

Rutgers alum and season ticket holder...you ask the difference between Chris Ash and Greg Schiano..called coaching.

Our son is a freshman at a Purdue. Great school. Best of luck versus Nebby then Indiana.
Schiano is indeed a very good coach...and, I have always liked him.

My daughter went to college in NJ...we were at the Purdue/Rutgers game in '18 (which was about as disappointing as today).

Rutgers was simply better today...on the sidelines, and, on the field.

Credit to them for sure for that...but, shame on Purdue at the same time.

Purdue snuck out with a win in the opener against Iowa that in hindsight was more good fortune than anything, and, if they played again today, they likely lose...they held on for dear life against a bad Illinois team and were fortunate to do so.

Nebraska has been awful for the most part, but, Purdue has no answer for their QB/offense, and, Purdue is poised for a pretty epic beatdown against IU unfortunately in that their QB is better than any thus far that have repeatedly abused Purdue (including a 4th string guy at Illinois).

Last year was a setback and disappointing...this was supposed to be a year in which things got back on track, but, at the moment, the train is way off the track unfortunately.

My daughter went to college in NJ...we were at the Purdue/Rutgers game in '18 (which was about as disappointing as today).

Purdue snuck out with a win in the opener against Iowa that in hindsight was more good fortune than anything, and, if they played again today, they likely lose...they held on for dear life against a bad Illinois team and were fortunate to do so.

Nebraska has been awful for the most part, but, Purdue has no answer for their QB/offense, and, Purdue is poised for a pretty epic beatdown against IU unfortunately in that their QB is better than any thus far that have repeatedly abused Purdue (including a 4th string guy at Illinois).

Last year was a setback and disappointing...this was supposed to be a year in which things got back on track, but, at the moment, the train is way off the track unfortunately.
That pretty much sums it up........

Why are we switching to a 3-4 in year 4 ??? That switch takes years in the NFL, where you can go sign big money free agents in the offseason. I’d bet we are at least 2 years away from having legit 3-4 personnel.

Reactions: DannyGranger
Why are we switching to a 3-4 in year 4 ??? That switch takes years in the NFL, where you can go sign big money free agents in the offseason. I’d bet we are at least 2 years away from having legit 3-4 personnel.
You are right, and, being generous for that matter...no way they are there in 2 years, and, that only sets back the "fix" by/for the next guy who comes in and uses the traditional defensive set in that he will need time to go out and recruit guys for it instead.

The hiring was confusing and questioned by many when it was made...with what has transpired thus far, it is an unmitigated failure for sure.

Purdue has not won with defense in some time, but, what they are offering right now/this year is about as bad as I can remember...from a personnel and scheme standpoint.

....and your banking that we can actually recruit these type of players....I think you have to be the CLEM and AL of the world to even run that scheme......hence the reason you never really see it much at the college level...

Schiano is doing what a smart coach does......if it means getting TRANSFERS or JC players to build....then thats what you do...whatever it takes to win!!!

Tiller would have killed it with these new transfer & graduate transfer rules. Tiller’s biggest success was player development. Fortunately he had a loyal Brock Spack to develop defensive players, and a DL coach that stayed with him for a while.

Tiller used the grey shirt & JUCO route to add immediate depth. He also built relationships with a few JUCO programs to place guys there. In some cases he brought in several top notch guys out of JUCO including:

• Akin Ayodel - 9 years NFL
• Ashante Woodyard - nfl
• Rob Ninkovich - 10 year nfl

Schiano is a very good coach and hired top notch assistants.

Believe it or not, the game at Rutgers was in 2017. My brother and I were at that game as well... can’t believe it was 3 years ago. Also couldn’t believe that we lost that day to a terrible team that was only able to gain 200 yards of offense against us.

What I don't understand is how Rutgers was literally shit under Ash and less than a year later, Schiano has them playing more physically than Brohm after 4 years on the job.
RU fan here. Ash was a complete disaster at Rutgers: not only was he a piss-poor head coach, but he was a complete mismatch culturally in NJ. An example involves the NJ HS coaches: they wield a lot of influence in the state. After his 3¼ years at the helm, there were still high schools in the state that he had never visited. Schiano visited all of them yearly during his first tenure here, and was in the process of doing the same when the Wuhan Death Virus hit. When Ash was hired, he basically dissed the players he was inheriting in one of his first press conferences. And he also deep-sixed many of our traditions, such as our Spring Awards named for several players who died while on the team years earlier, etc. He basically lost the team in 2018, he should have been fired after that season.

Yeah, our players aren't world beaters, but they sure as hell were better than the 1-11 (0-9) 2018 and 1-4 (0-2) 2019 (up until he was fired) records they posted under Ash. Schiano is a tough guy, but he is fiercely loyal to his players. And he truly cares about them. The players know that, and they've bought into his mantra and persona which is reflected on the field.

5 of those 10 transfers havent seen the field, and the QB transfer didn't play yesterday. You got beat by a more talented and better coached Rutgers team. Deal with it.

Who are you? That Rutgers team isn’t more talented.

I have no idea what he's talking about, Purdue definitely has more talent, Ash's recruiting ranked in high 50's and 60's. Transfers help some, 7 saw the field against you to varying degrees. To me this was simply being outcoached and I'm not talking just X's and O's.

Schiano has his players believing in his culture and they responded with that emotion. You don't continue to rush like that unless you're willing to run through walls for your coach and each other. In the end after two straight heart breaking losses they weren't going to settle for a third. Purdue folded due to their coach not being able to invoke that same response.

What program in the entire B1G is legitimately worse than Purdue?

Maybe Maryland? Maybe Nebraska? Maybe Illinois? And, maybe Rutgers.

Maryland will likely remain about on par with Purdue...perhaps the same for Illinois, although it has a chance with the right coach to be successful. Rutgers is never going to be at the top of the conference by any means, but, with Schiano at least, they are going to be as good as Purdue likely...even if they aren't, they managed to beat Brohm twice now in games that they should not have even had a chance in, so at least as long is Brohm remains, they are going to be as good as Purdue. Nebraska has been a mess for some time, but, again...with the right guy, there is a chance for some legitimate success there.

So, in the end, Purdue is probably one of the four worst overall programs in the entire conference, and, there is little reason to think that it won't remain one of them...hovering somewhere between 10th and 14th overall, which is a sad realization.

It appeared that Purdue was finally moving in the right direction with Brohm early on, but, that is now very much in question, as the program has regressed and there is nothing at all to suggest right now that whatever momentum may have been built is not just gone, but, will be incredibly difficult to recapture...certainly with Brohm/staff, but, in that I genuinely don't believe that Purdue can/could do better, with almost anyone.

I still think Brohm will get it fixed, but it will take a few more years. Next year’s schedule is really tough so it’s highly likely another so so win lost record. Just disappointed and frustrated that it’s going to take this long.

Reactions: ImRonBurgandy?
he needs to move on from Diaco immediately

The decision to hire him was questioned when it was made...it is clear that it is not working, and, there is no reason at all to believe that it will...as such, I am with you in that the sooner they move on, the better...to the point that if he were fired now, it would be justifiable, and, in the best interest of Purdue...short-term, and, long-term.

I still think Brohm will get it fixed, but it will take a few more years. Next year’s schedule is really tough so it’s highly likely another so so win lost record. Just disappointed and frustrated that it’s going to take this long.
I think that he could be...or, at least he could as much as I believe anyone else could/would...but, I question now what "fixed" even looks like or means.

He/they had momentum early...lost it a bit, but, have absolutely lost it now...to the point that he is pretty much back to square one when he arrived, albeit ahead from the standpoint that he has some things in place at least that he did not when he did arrive.

It is an uphill battle again though unfortunately...maybe more of one than when he arrived, as at least then, he had the chance to sell a vision...to fans and to recruits...whereas now, it is a much more difficult sell...to fans and to recruits.

The decision to hire him was questioned when it was made...it is clear that it is not working, and, there is no reason at all to believe that it will...as such, I am with you in that the sooner they move on, the better...to the point that if he were fired now, it would be justifiable, and, in the best interest of Purdue...short-term, and, long-term.

yanni was watching last night .. think about that

What program in the entire B1G is legitimately worse than Purdue?

Maybe Maryland? Maybe Nebraska? Maybe Illinois? And, maybe Rutgers.

Maryland will likely remain about on par with Purdue...perhaps the same for Illinois, although it has a chance with the right coach to be successful. Rutgers is never going to be at the top of the conference by any means, but, with Schiano at least, they are going to be as good as Purdue likely...even if they aren't, they managed to beat Brohm twice now in games that they should not have even had a chance in, so at least as long is Brohm remains, they are going to be as good as Purdue. Nebraska has been a mess for some time, but, again...with the right guy, there is a chance for some legitimate success there.

So, in the end, Purdue is probably one of the four worst overall programs in the entire conference, and, there is little reason to think that it won't remain one of them...hovering somewhere between 10th and 14th overall, which is a sad realization.

It appeared that Purdue was finally moving in the right direction with Brohm early on, but, that is now very much in question, as the program has regressed and there is nothing at all to suggest right now that whatever momentum may have been built is not just gone, but, will be incredibly difficult to recapture...certainly with Brohm/staff, but, in that I genuinely don't believe that Purdue can/could do better, with almost anyone.
Rutgers could be one of the better B1G just by recruiting NJ. Can't every B1G survive by only recruiting instate.

it's a fair question to ask about Brohm....... but, RU fans completely "understand"....

This guy is a loser and a cancer:
images

it's a fair question to ask about Brohm....... but, RU fans completely "understand"....

This guy is a loser and a cancer:
images
Rutgers was so fortunate to get Schiano back...more so on the heels of who he replaced.

I never understood the hiring of Ash, and, he was bad in just about every way anyone could be during his time there.

Props to Rutgers for getting it right with basketball and football from a HC standpoint.

Rutgers was so fortunate to get Schiano back...more so on the heels of who he replaced.

I never understood the hiring of Ash, and, he was bad in just about every way anyone could be during his time there.

Props to Rutgers for getting it right with basketball and football from a HC standpoint.
A little advice. If you guys ever hear that your AD got advice from Urban Meyer or Barry Alvarez on who to hire as your head coach, storm the AD's office with pitchforks and torches.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT