ADVERTISEMENT

Edey summer league

Chi-Boiler

All-American
May 8, 2010
So there are 3 summer leagues now, California, Salt Lake City, and Vegas. China has a team. The Sacramento Kings have 2 teams. Memphis is playing in SLC and Vegas. Anyone have knowledge if Edey is going to play in SLC? They play tomorrow night at 8 CT on ESPN. Then again Tuesday at 6 CT on ESPN, and Wednesday at 6 CT on NBA TV.

Las Vegas for the Grizz starts Friday at 5 CT on NBA TV.

Reactions: pboiler18
He’s on THE team, playing in SLC then Vegas. Doesn’t mean he actually plays though if they are being safe.

First defensive possession, he let Walker Kessler get a weak offensive rebound which led to free throws. 2nd possession he helped on D with a great block. Looks like he turned the ball over on offense though. I put my head down to type.

Tough way to end with a foul on Edey. They didn't switch pretty much 99% of the game (mostly drop coverage) but decided on the most important play of the game to let Zach take the Jazz's best player. I guess you have to in that situation so you don't give up an open floater/jump shot.

Great learning experience overall. Would love to see Zach get 8-10 post up touches per game. Grizz jacked a lot of bad 3's that let Jazz get back close in the 2nd quarter. 14 pt 15 rbs 4 blocks is a great way to start your pro career. BTFU!

Tough way to end with a foul on Edey. They didn't switch pretty much 99% of the game (mostly drop coverage) but decided on the most important play of the game to let Zach take the Jazz's best player. I guess you have to in that situation so you don't give up an open floater/jump shot.

Great learning experience overall. Would love to see Zach get 8-10 post up touches per game. Grizz jacked a lot of bad 3's that let Jazz get back close in the 2nd quarter. 14 pt 15 rbs 4 blocks is a great way to start your pro career. BTFU!
He actually played pretty good D on that play. Some contact with left arm but announcers questioned if it warranted a foul call. Was definitely not a blow by because he’s soo slow.

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
Everyone trying to get shots up show their moves. So, pick and roll, no passes back to Edey. If the did he would have had 25.

Everyone trying to get shots up show their moves. So, pick and roll, no passes back to Edey. If the did he would have had 25.
Especially when he re-posted and sealed. He had Kessler and Filipowski (who showed why he dropped to the second round) pinned so far under the basket. That’s where Braden (and others this year) really understood how to play with Zach. Hopefully, after some film review they’ll see that and feed the Maple….or at least hopefully they do once the actual season starts.

I watched the second half...few things:

1. Obvs this is summer league, and while he looked solid if not really good, most of these guys prob won't make their team's regular season roster...so let's not throw a parade for Zach quite yet, if he keeps this up all summer and transitions with the real squads well, then we can give him his flowers.

2. The Grizz' coaching staff inadvertently kept Z's stats down with their ridiculous sets and play calling. I know this summer league is to get a good look at kids, but why not run some easy give and gos with Z instead of him trying to force stuff off of a rebound? Seemed like several players had the green light to reduce the game to playground ball, while Z was waiting for thoughtful ball movement.

3. Pippen Jr. is dynamic, but a complete ball hog. Several times he refused to drop the ball to a WIDE OPEN ZE after sucking in the defense, and either lost it or got fouled. Really bizarre.

4. The Grizz win that game outright if they dial up a play to screen for Z for an easy lob and dunk/bunny. Him screening for guards all game was easy to contest and plan for, the bigs guarding him could just sit back and wait for him to get in the paint. Why not let Z sit on him and push him back like we saw for four years...oh well.

Especially when he re-posted and sealed. He had Kessler and Filipowski (who showed why he dropped to the second round) pinned so far under the basket. That’s where Braden (and others this year) really understood how to play with Zach. Hopefully, after some film review they’ll see that and feed the Maple….or at least hopefully they do once the actual season starts.
I remember one play where he got a touch a step outside of the paint did one or two dribbles then kicked back out then crushed his man inside for the repost and would have had an easy 2 pts but the guard went away from him immeadiately. I felt like he could have had 20 to 24 pts if his teammates would have had an ounce more patients with him on offense.

Hope that in the regular season Memphis takes advantage whenever Zach gets a smaller person guarding him and Ja learns they can get easy points with him.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
I remember one play where he got a touch a step outside of the paint did one or two dribbles then kicked back out then crushed his man inside for the repost and would have had an easy 2 pts but the guard went away from him immeadiately. I felt like he could have had 20 to 24 pts if his teammates would have had an ounce more patients with him on offense.

Hope that in the regular season Memphis takes advantage whenever Zach gets a smaller person guarding him and Ja learns they can get easy points with him.
I think we saw the exact same thing haha

1. Obvs this is summer league, and while he looked solid if not really good, most of these guys prob won't make their team's regular season roster...so let's not throw a parade for Zach quite yet, if he keeps this up all summer and transitions with the real squads well, then we can give him his flowers.

2. The Grizz' coaching staff inadvertently kept Z's stats down with their ridiculous sets and play calling. I know this summer league is to get a good look at kids, but why not run some easy give and gos with Z instead of him trying to force stuff off of a rebound? Seemed like several players had the green light to reduce the game to playground ball, while Z was waiting for thoughtful ball movement.

3. Pippen Jr. is dynamic, but a complete ball hog. Several times he refused to drop the ball to a WIDE OPEN ZE after sucking in the defense, and either lost it or got fouled. Really bizarre.

4. The Grizz win that game outright if they dial up a play to screen for Z for an easy lob and dunk/bunny. Him screening for guards all game was easy to contest and plan for, the bigs guarding him could just sit back and wait for him to get in the paint. Why not let Z sit on him and push him back like we saw for four years...oh well.
It’s not so much throwing a parade but more so celebrating (a tad) for Zach by showing he can still dominate and be a huge factor against guys that are better than D1, while not being the focal point.

He showed he can run the floor and guard the PnR (granted this isn’t the level he will actually play against) and dominated a guy who was decent as a big already in the NBA.

I’m excited to see him play vs actual NBA competition. There will be growing pains no doubt, but if he plays his role of setting those big ass screens to get Ja Morant wiiiide open or Bane a wide open 3 in the corner, rebounds and rim protects, he will have a great career.

Reactions: Do Dah Day

Answer to #4 is maybe Paint is better coach than Memphis guy.

One thing I keep in mind when watching summer league is most of those guys are trying to show off so they can potential secure a roster spot. They aren’t looking to play team ball which makes it glorified AAU.

I listened to someone lost game say “if these guards knew how to use a screen from Edey, they would be feasting all night”.

Sensabaugh did a quick - sorry for running into good sir….

One thing I keep in mind when watching summer league is most of those guys are trying to show off so they can potential secure a roster spot. They aren’t looking to play team ball which makes it glorified AAU.

I listened to someone lost game say “if these guards knew how to use a screen from Edey, they would be feasting all night”.

Sensabaugh did a quick - sorry for running into good sir….
Sums it up, and last night was a glaring reminder of the glorified AAU aspect of summer league for sure. Well put.

Scottie picked up some of his moms traits as opposed to dad…

• Haha
Reactions: ChoiceBeef
I posted yesterday that Edey had moved from +1000 to +700 on my board for ROY. Coming off of last night's game, he even came down again to +600.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT