ADVERTISEMENT

Edey summer league

I watched the second half...few things:

1. Obvs this is summer league, and while he looked solid if not really good, most of these guys prob won't make their team's regular season roster...so let's not throw a parade for Zach quite yet, if he keeps this up all summer and transitions with the real squads well, then we can give him his flowers.

2. The Grizz' coaching staff inadvertently kept Z's stats down with their ridiculous sets and play calling. I know this summer league is to get a good look at kids, but why not run some easy give and gos with Z instead of him trying to force stuff off of a rebound? Seemed like several players had the green light to reduce the game to playground ball, while Z was waiting for thoughtful ball movement.

3. Pippen Jr. is dynamic, but a complete ball hog. Several times he refused to drop the ball to a WIDE OPEN ZE after sucking in the defense, and either lost it or got fouled. Really bizarre.

4. The Grizz win that game outright if they dial up a play to screen for Z for an easy lob and dunk/bunny. Him screening for guards all game was easy to contest and plan for, the bigs guarding him could just sit back and wait for him to get in the paint. Why not let Z sit on him and push him back like we saw for four years...oh well.
All true but teams don't really care about winning or losing summer league games. Its for evaluation purposes only. So it's not surprising that they don't force things and let the players do what they are going to do somewhat, even if that means being a ball hog or not necessarily running plays or strategies designed to maximize winning.

Obviously Memphis thinks Edey belongs because they spent a lottery pick on him, so he's fine for at least a few seasons. We will see more about what Memphis thinks about him in the regular season by whether they start him and how many minutes he plays and how well he does with those minutes. He still has some things to get better at, and also has some things he's already better at than most bigs.

All true but teams don't really care about winning or losing summer league games. Its for evaluation purposes only. So it's not surprising that they don't force things and let the players do what they are going to do somewhat, even if that means being a ball hog or not necessarily running plays or strategies designed to maximize winning.

Obviously Memphis thinks Edey belongs because they spent a lottery pick on him, so he's fine for at least a few seasons. We will see more about what Memphis thinks about him in the regular season by whether they start him and how many minutes he plays and how well he does with those minutes. He still has some things to get better at, and also has some things he's already better at than most bigs.
Apt points, I agree with all of it...when I/we focus on one player it just makes each observation so much more glaring/concrete, of course.

It was like watching my daughters play soccer or lacrosse...literally paying attention to and over analyzing every step, ha.

Man, kid shoulda gone to KU
If Slick Rick doesn’t go down in flames at Louisville, Romeo would have done fine with 1 year. He never wanted to go to IU but the offer at KU was gone and IU promised to showcase him. Tough situation for the kid.

Speaking of Indiana kids in the summer league, read that Kris Wilkes is working out for the Pacers. Tough break for that kid with the medical issues.

Looks like no Zach again tonight. In street clothes on the bench. Wonder if it was the ankle scare from the first game they are cautious with or just the fact that the "real" summer league will stary in a couple days and want to see him fresh?
Either way hope he is fine and the sitting out thing is just being cautious.

Would think he impressed enough to show he is more than capable to handle the summer league action.

So pumped to watch him in the summer league and into the regular season. He is going to get tons of playing time!

Looks like no Zach again tonight. In street clothes on the bench. Wonder if it was the ankle scare from the first game they are cautious with or just the fact that the "real" summer league will stary in a couple days and want to see him fresh?

Would think he impressed enough to show he is more than capable to handle the summer league action.

So pumped to watch him in the summer league and into the regular season. He is going to get tons of playing time!
I think he may make me watch SOME nba games this year.

Also, when and where can I find the retro teal grizzlies jersey with EDEY on the back?!

I think he may make me watch SOME nba games this year.

Also, when and where can I find the retro teal grizzlies jersey with EDEY on the back?!
I already have the grizz games in my library on YT TV. Really looking forward to watching his games whenever they are available on the normal cable channels I get. I wont pay for any subscription based channels just to watch them though...already have to do that with Purde games now that peacock is around!

I agree. He confirmed why the Grizzlies drafted him and they probably don't need to see any more. Why risk an injury in meaningless games?

I agree. He confirmed why the Grizzlies drafted him and they probably don't need to see any more. Why risk an injury in meaningless games?
Reminds me of Ivey in summer ball his rookie year - played a couple games and had the defender undercut him and rolled his ankle. That was the last minutes he played I believe.

Reactions: BoilerAndy
Speaking of summer league ball, any news on Lance? I'm sure he'll have a pro career somewhere, but would love for it to be closer to home.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT