ADVERTISEMENT

Edey is going to get hurt like Haas

The rules for “hook and hold” has made a lot of those dirty tactics used A LOT less. Refs will go to the monitor and put you under the microscope. It’s been a great thing. Zach still gets fouled a bunch, but it’s helped out so much.

Different sport but go back and watch a football game from the 90’s. The number of “targeting” calls they would have made would shock you. All types of helmet to helmet hits. It’s really changed the way the game is played right now.

Reactions: snowsquirrel11
If the refs keep ignoring the abuse he is taking.

Painter needs to remind them what happened last time.

Even though he seems to be in good shape, I worry more about lower back and foot injuries from normal use. Big, heavy bodies are under a lot of stress just from constant running.

Reactions: rjmpu82
The way he is going to get hurt is by logging a **** ton of mins against the Nebraskas and Davidsons of the world. The bench play needs to step up in a big way so that he can get some cushion and rest, purely from reducing his injury risk in terms of being exposed to full speed play. He doesn't need the reps at this point!

Reactions: rjmpu82
The way he is going to get hurt is by logging a **** ton of mins against the Nebraskas and Davidsons of the world. The bench play needs to step up in a big way so that he can get some cushion and rest, purely from reducing his injury risk in terms of being exposed to full speed play. He doesn't need the reps at this point!
He was on 7 days rest for Davidson. Give me a break with this.

Talking about freak in-game injuries.... Haas broke his elbow against Cal State Fullerton, don't want the same to happen with Edey against a cupcake.
Davidson and Nebraska were competitive games. Coaches are going to play their best players in competitive games. You can’t win by wrapping your best players in bubble wrap to prevent a freak injury.

I doubt Edey will get hurt. He can move more and Haas was just a brick wall. Edey is also better footed it would take him a lot more to fall than it would take Haas.

Reactions: BoilerDeac
Purdue was up by 20 points with 8 mins left...it was in the bag. Leaving him in changed the trajectory of that tournament for Purdue.
8 mins left is different than 2 minutes left. You're not going to empty the bench that early.

8 mins left is different than 2 minutes left. You're not going to empty the bench that early.
I disagree. Fullerton was not going to overcome that deficit. The NCAA is always about winning and advancing. There is always a risk of injury, however small, when in the game. Haas should not have been on, nor should almost all of the starters. If things got really tight, you can always put them back in the game.

Reactions: titaniumbolt
Seeing as how no college fteam follows that mantra, I will say you're wrong.
I disagree. Fullerton was not going to overcome that deficit. The NCAA is always about winning and advancing. There is always a risk of injury, however small, when in the game. Haas should not have been on, nor should almost all of the starters. If things got really tight, you can always put them back in the game.

You are forgetting that Purdue always has more bad luck than almost any other team. Hence, there is the need to be super-careful. Examples, Haas, Hummel, Virginia game, Robinson in the NCAA, etc.
With the benefit of hindsight, I agree with you, arcb. But I also remember games where Purdue had a double-digit lead in crusial games with less than 3 minutes to go, and lost. After a few of those, I was one of the people demanding that Painter stop taking his foot off the gas with a comfortable lead.

Hopefully Painter has learned to find the right balance. I definitely loved watching this team find other options tonight when the go-to guy isn't on the court.

Reactions: Schnelk
He is not getting beaten up nearly as bad as Haas did. He will be just fine. I haven't seen anything that bad.
I don’t remember him hitting the floor like Haas. When Zach hits the floor he’s going after loose balls. I think Zach has a lot better balance control than Isaac.

Reactions: Schnelk
Remember what happened with little rock? Think we were up 13 with like 4 minutes to go. Can't take him out because you think he'll get injured...

Purdue led 65-52 with 3:33 to go.

A lot of bad things went into the mixer for that foul upset - 18 turnovers, giving up 15 offensive boards and three 3pt FG's late.....but yes, your point remains.....really have to be under two minutes before thinking about that, and with Purdue - better leave some cushion.

I still recall some of us stating it wasn't over yet when Purdue was absolutely destroying Villanova up 30+ back in 2019..... :) It's that dang Boilerepherine.

Remember what happened with little rock? Think we were up 13 with like 4 minutes to go. Can't take him out because you think he'll get injured...
The two games had a completely different dynamic. Little Rock proved they could trade punches during the entirety of the first half, but Cal State Fullerton never seriously contended coming out of the locker room after the first half. Plus LR was a classic 5/12 dynamic.

You don't take players out because you think they will get injured - you rest your best guys when the risk/benefit ratio clearly favors saving them for a deep run, like what you see as a 2 seed against a 15 seed cupcake...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT