ADVERTISEMENT

Eden Ewing

nagemj02

All-American
Mar 16, 2010
Is there supposed to be an official date (it was reported earlier that we would know in July) where we know whether or not he will be able to enroll at Purdue?

Wait until the students get back on campus. West Lafayette is a different place when August/September roll around.
You know there was an argument a while back about how a city can or can't impact recruiting. I think that tweet about hating small cities pretty much shows that it can.

Oh well, like you said, it will be different when the students are there.

You know there was an argument a while back about how a city can or can't impact recruiting. I think that tweet about hating small cities pretty much shows that it can.

This is true but some of the blue-blood (or blue-blood type of) programs are also in small cities, such as Lawrence-Kansas, Chapel Hill-North Carolina, and Storrs-Connecticut, so it shows that the "small city" hurdle can be made completely irrelevant on a regular basis if a good enough hoops program has been established.

This is true but some of the blue-blood (or blue-blood type of) programs are also in small cities, such as Lawrence-Kansas, Chapel Hill-North Carolina, and Storrs-Connecticut, so it shows that the "small city" hurdle can be made completely irrelevant on a regular basis if a good enough hoops program has been established.
I see what you are saying however, we aren't a "blue blood" type program so town size may come in to play more than we know.

I'm not saying it's a major point on a recruits mind, just based on the tweet it *could* be factor for some as it pertains in them coming, or not coming, to Purdue .

Personally I think there are probably hundreds of reasons why some come here and others don't. And trying to figure out how a teenage mind decides can drive you crazy :)

Last edited:

I think that the Big East schools are generally helped by being in bigger cities, as are OSU, Northwestern, Maryland, and Minnesota in the Big Ten. It's hard to prove, but I always thought that schools like Xavier, Butler, and Louisville (now ACC) benefitted by being in cities.

I would never call UNC / Duke a small city. if you've ever been there you soon realize it's almost as big as indy.

Reactions: Dakota Girl

Doesn't appear to be enjoying the city of WL.
I take it from a different point. Grammar aside - it seems as if he is intending on he "hates" small cities (meaning its not his first choice to hang out in) but THEY ARE (instead of there) the best places to make you humble. I take that he appreciates the work ethic, non-flashy lifestyles, etc. but it seems as if it makes him appreciate everything he has. Just my two cents.

I take it from a different point. Grammar aside - it seems as if he is intending on he "hates" small cities (meaning its not his first choice to hang out in) but THEY ARE (instead of there) the best places to make you humble. I take that he appreciates the work ethic, non-flashy lifestyles, etc. but it seems as if it makes him appreciate everything he has. Just my two cents.

My interpretation is that he doesn't care for WL but is going to make the best of his time there. Being in a smaller city with not much going on allows athletes to focus on their game rather than be distracted by other scenes that may be enticing for 18-22 yr olds.

I actually remember Biggie saying the exact same thing last year in an interview with JMV. Something to the affect of "there's nothing going on in WL so my free time is all spent at the gym." With Biggies mentality, I think he would be focused on the right things regardless of location. Many athletes don't have his drive so a quieter campus may be just want they need to become the best player possible.

Reactions: boilerbusdriver
I would never call UNC / Duke a small city. if you've ever been there you soon realize it's almost as big as indy.

If you separate it from the greater Durham area, Chapel Hill by itself is similar in population (slightly less people, actually) to Lafayette/West Lafayette.

I see what you are saying however, we aren't a "blue blood" type program so town size may come in to play more than we know.

I'm not saying it's a major point on a recruits mind, just based on the tweet it *could* be factor for some as it pertains in them coming, or not coming, to Purdue .

Personally I think there are probably hundreds of reasons why some come here and others don't. And trying to figure out how a teenage mind decides can drive you crazy :)

Let alone putting all teenagers into the same thought process...lol!

Reactions: BoiledSteel
Greater Lafayette is not much different demographically from Bloomington, IN, Champaign/Urbana, IL, and Iowa City. Small Midwestern college towns are just a fact of life for many BIG schools.

He'll be eyes-deep in basketball by early October anyway.

Reactions: nagemj02
I think that the Big East schools are generally helped by being in bigger cities, as are OSU, Northwestern, Maryland, and Minnesota in the Big Ten. It's hard to prove, but I always thought that schools like Xavier, Butler, and Louisville (now ACC) benefitted by being in cities.
Since when has NW or Minny's proximity to a major city been a recruiting advantage?
I don't buy this whole location being an advantage thing. If it were, places like Miami, GA Tech, and other schools located in nice areas would always win the recruiting battles.
The reality of recruiting starts and finishes with the head coach. Period.

Greater Lafayette is not much different demographically from Bloomington, IN, Champaign/Urbana, IL, and Iowa City. Small Midwestern college towns are just a fact of life for many BIG schools.

He'll be eyes-deep in basketball by early October anyway.

Totally agree. These big time college players basically have time to do 4 things (at least those who are serious about it).
Eat
Sleep
Class
Practice/workout/gym time
Having a club or nightlife nearby is the least of their concerns.

Since when has NW or Minny's proximity to a major city been a recruiting advantage?
I don't buy this whole location being an advantage thing. If it were, places like Miami, GA Tech, and other schools located in nice areas would always win the recruiting battles.
Wrong. Miami and GA Tech do win recruiting battles because of proximity. Just look at football for Miami as an example.

Thinking it doesn't play a part is just being narrow minded. Period. And the tweet as others have pointed out, proves that it does.

Edit: You might want to use google and do some research. A quick attempt shows that there are many factors that go in to recruiting and location is included. For example, close proximity to Chicago negatively impacts recruiting because of the violence, so it's not just the coach. So stop thinking things are how they used to be back in the day and done in a vacuum.

Last edited:
Not that WL will ever be a big city, but the transformation of campus & WL over the course of the next several years will be extraordinary. State street is just the beginning.

Wrong. Miami and GA Tech do win recruiting battles because of proximity. Just look at football for Miami as an example.

Thinking it doesn't play a part is just being narrow minded. Period. And the tweet as others have pointed out, proves that it does.

Edit: You might want to use google and do some research. A quick attempt shows that there are many factors that go in to recruiting and location is included. For example, close proximity to Chicago negatively impacts recruiting because of the violence, so it's not just the coach. So stop thinking things are how they used to be back in the day and done in a vacuum.
Miami hasn't been a national power in football since the late 80's and has never been a national power in basketball.
Tom Izzo gets plenty of top recruits to join him in crappy E. Lansing. But wait, St Johns is located in NYC, shouldn't they have a better program? Duke, UNC, NCState and Wake are all located within an hour of each other, but why do Duke and UNC dominate hoops?
Players, especially ones talented enough to leave after a year or two are going to programs where the coach will showcase their talent and get them to the next level.

What his tweet shows is that yes location can be a factor under consideration, but is typically outweighed by more pertinent factors.

The coaching staff and a school's resources are what I have commonly read or heard from recruits.

If location was far more important, I would imagine more schools like USC, Cal, Miami, Arizona State, and Hawaii being more dominant in basketball rather than much of the Big Ten or places like Wichita State. It is posible today's youth prefers smaller rural settings or colder climates, but I am doubtful.

UGa is in Athens. GaTech is in Atlanta. Tech is in the far larger city. It seems to me that UGa has a far more powerful and successful athletic program. That would contradict the large advantage held by a big-city school theory.

Reactions: BoiledSteel
Players, especially ones talented enough to leave after a year or two are going to programs where the coach will showcase their talent and get them to the next level.
And yet you still see it all in a narrow minded vacuum. CMP has shown that he can get players to the next level with some consistency if they buy in. Which means again, that other factors play in to how a recruit chooses a college. It's highly, highly unlikely that it is only one thing that a player looks for in this day and age and I have been saying that for a while now on here.

I don't know BBG's intent with his comment, but that is basically all I said in my response. It is part of the equation, but not the limiting factor.

I disagreed with your position that teams like Miami and Georgia Tech win recruiting battles due to their location.

That may be true for a select few, but I believe far more often, it is the head coach that is the most important. This is what I agreed with poster Bonefish, and is especially true for the top national recruits.

Reactions: nagemj02
It's impossible to know how these schools would recruit if they weren't in a city, but I believe that, even in these cases, being in a city is a net positive. It appears that Chris Collins is finally using location as an advantage in Northwestern's case.

I was in Lafayette / West Laf. last week and I can report there is still not much to do there. I grew up in Lafayette so I know what its all about. I will say with all of the construction and the new addition to the football complex Purdue's athletic complex is starting to look legit. Walked around with my kids but sadly did not spot any BB being played. looked like a volleyball camp was going on.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
And yet you still see it all in a narrow minded vacuum. CMP has shown that he can get players to the next level with some consistency if they buy in. Which means again, that other factors play in to how a recruit chooses a college. It's highly, highly unlikely that it is only one thing that a player looks for in this day and age and I have been saying that for a while now on here.

Of course it's not the only factor, but what I'm saying, is that it's not even in the top 10 of factors, so it's actually a very minor factor.

is that it's not even in the top 10 of factors, so it's actually a very minor factor.
Which you have no way of knowing. Again, you're looking at everything in a very narrow minded vacuum. And the only certainty is that recruiting isn't like that, not anymore most certainly.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
It's impossible to know how these schools would recruit if they weren't in a city, but I believe that, even in these cases, being in a city is a net positive. It appears that Chris Collins is finally using location as an advantage in Northwestern's case.
Chris Collins is using the fact he played for Coach K and his Daddy was a pro, pro coach etc. I don't blame him that's some real head turning stuff for a 17 year old kid. I think being in Chicago is a huge plus for him because he puts him close to the Bulls franchise where I'm sure Chris still has plenty of contacts.

I don't want to take anything away from what Chris Collins is doing at Northwestern, which is remarkable and good for a league that has brought in chronic underachieving basketball programs like Nebraska and Rutgers lately.

That said, I think he's building on a lot of things, the school's location in a basketball talent hub being only one of them.

The recent football success and, to be fair, the comparative basketball success under Bill Carmody laid the foundation and made the administration, fans, students, and alumni believe it is possible to win at Northwestern. I'm sure BTN money has helped, too. The renovations to W-RA are no doubt a selling point and might themselves be a bi-product of the football success and BTN money.

That said, the school certainly seems to be doing a better job selling itself to athletes than was the case 20 years ago. Or, maybe they're just more willing to listen now that there's a record of success. Maybe both.

I don't want to take anything away from what Chris Collins is doing at Northwestern, which is remarkable and good for a league that has brought in chronic underachieving basketball programs like Nebraska and Rutgers lately.

That said, I think he's building on a lot of things, the school's location in a basketball talent hub being only one of them.

The recent football success and, to be fair, the comparative basketball success under Bill Carmody laid the foundation and made the administration, fans, students, and alumni believe it is possible to win at Northwestern. I'm sure BTN money has helped, too. The renovations to W-RA are no doubt a selling point and might themselves be a bi-product of the football success and BTN money.

That said, the school certainly seems to be doing a better job selling itself to athletes than was the case 20 years ago. Or, maybe they're just more willing to listen now that there's a record of success. Maybe both.
They also changed admission requirements and have more friendly majors like Duke, Stanford and other blue blood schools.

Reactions: ghostoffatjack
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT