ADVERTISEMENT

Dynamic Duo, Abundance of WRs and Trick Plays

KentuckyBoiler

All-American
Jul 6, 2011
We have Moore back now for 2 games. He looks like his former self. Bell played with a hurt shoulder last year, but he was still able to win BT Freshman of the Year. He also went off on teams in the first 2 games of this year. Has anyone else noticed that they have appeared to play better separately than together? That doesn't make sense.

In last night's press conference, Brohm kept saying that they were playing over the top on both of them. That might be true. We had multiple 4 WR sets last night. If you are playing over the top on both Bell and Moore, then there is some WR that has to be absolutely wide open. If we cannot get talent like Moore and Bell open playing together, when they seemed to be able to do it by when they played separately, there is something wrong with our playcalling.

Also, we have "our cup runneth over" with WR talent, but that doesn't seem to really apply. We are not using them right in certain cases. We tried to use Wright last night with a screen pass or jail break pass. He doesn't have the speed for that. If we are not going to use that with Rondale, why are we not using it with Sheffield or Anderson? Sheffield is only being used as a kick off returner. Yaseen was running crisp routes in the preseason, but he doesn't seem to be able to find the field during games. Carr looked like what was advertised in the first game. He got hurt, and we have not seen him since. I don't know if he is still hurt or not, because Brohm would never said anything about it. He looked dressed to me last night. Why are we not taking advantage of his "being a match up problem for any team" with his size and speed? I think I have seen Rice play a couple of times in special teams. What has happened with lining him up sometime as a WR? There is no loss of eligibility for these guys this year; see what they might be able to do.

It really doesn't matter about our abundance of WR, because we don't know how to use them. All of these other top teams can use more than 1 WR. This is where I think we are lacking play calling. Let's be honest. It has gotten stale. Remember when we had less talent at WR, and we still could score on teams. Brohm had to be creative, and it worked. Remember when Brohm had a book of trick plays. Did he lose it or did someone steal it? I see other teams running trick plays all the time. It doesn't mean that talent means that you stop getting creative. It should mean that talent can make it work even better. When is the last time we did a reverse or a double reverse? I remember Wright throwing a touchdown pass last year. I remember all the different trick plays we ran in the first 2 years. It was something announcers brought up in every game back then. Don't hear it anymore. We do get one every once in a while, like the pass to Miller against Minnesota that surprised their defense last week. It is more a rarity now.

You can say if players need to execute the coach's calls, and that is true to a certain extend. However, most teams don't have a pathetic defense like ours that knew their 3rd string QB was going to run, run a second time, run a third time, etc. and still allow 5 to 6 yards on every run. Somethings that QB drug our defensive person(s) tackling him a couple more yards. We have executed plays like a 5 yard pass on 3rd down, and the sticks were 10 yards away. Who fault is that then? The play had the QB completing a pass, and it was a catch, but the WR was no where close to making the first down. I would say that is the coach's call, not the execution. Why can't we use Burton as a wildcat QB, if he is that athletic. The Saints do it all the time with Hill, even though they have Brees. Peyton is constantly doing innovative things on offense, even when he has had half of his WR hurt, and they still move the ball. Again, his offense is not stale. He keeps defenses on their toes, because they don't know what he is going to do. Brohm was like that his first 2 years, not much like that these last 2 years.

With our defense, we have to score 40 points to possible win any game, any game. We need to better use our skilled players. What we are doing is not working, we need to change up the calls then. Just my opinion.

Have you ever thought maybe they aren’t as great as you think and there is a reason the team is well below .500 with all of them? It’s not like Purdue is scoring 40 ppg?
I’ve watched average defenses (and some bad ones) hold Purdue to 30 & under.

Have you ever thought maybe they aren’t as great as you think and there is a reason the team is well below .500 with all of them? It’s not like Purdue is scoring 40 ppg?
I’ve watched average defenses (and some bad ones) hold Purdue to 30 & under.
Well below? We're 2-3

Bell and Moore went over 100 yards a piece against MN. And one if not both would have likely been over 100 yards had we not imploded after our first scoring drive of the 2nd half.

With Moore out we had one of the silliest offenses I've seen, which was force it to Bell no matter what hoping for either an amazing catch or PI.

I agree with the OP in that we need to score 40 to win. Not even trying to be funny. That should honestly be the mindset of the offense going in. The defense has no chance of stopping anyone with Mitchell obviously hurt, GK out, and piss poor run defense.

Reactions: NVboiler
We have Moore back now for 2 games. He looks like his former self. Bell played with a hurt shoulder last year, but he was still able to win BT Freshman of the Year. He also went off on teams in the first 2 games of this year. Has anyone else noticed that they have appeared to play better separately than together? That doesn't make sense.

In last night's press conference, Brohm kept saying that they were playing over the top on both of them. That might be true. We had multiple 4 WR sets last night. If you are playing over the top on both Bell and Moore, then there is some WR that has to be absolutely wide open. If we cannot get talent like Moore and Bell open playing together, when they seemed to be able to do it by when they played separately, there is something wrong with our playcalling.

Also, we have "our cup runneth over" with WR talent, but that doesn't seem to really apply. We are not using them right in certain cases. We tried to use Wright last night with a screen pass or jail break pass. He doesn't have the speed for that. If we are not going to use that with Rondale, why are we not using it with Sheffield or Anderson? Sheffield is only being used as a kick off returner. Yaseen was running crisp routes in the preseason, but he doesn't seem to be able to find the field during games. Carr looked like what was advertised in the first game. He got hurt, and we have not seen him since. I don't know if he is still hurt or not, because Brohm would never said anything about it. He looked dressed to me last night. Why are we not taking advantage of his "being a match up problem for any team" with his size and speed? I think I have seen Rice play a couple of times in special teams. What has happened with lining him up sometime as a WR? There is no loss of eligibility for these guys this year; see what they might be able to do.

It really doesn't matter about our abundance of WR, because we don't know how to use them. All of these other top teams can use more than 1 WR. This is where I think we are lacking play calling. Let's be honest. It has gotten stale. Remember when we had less talent at WR, and we still could score on teams. Brohm had to be creative, and it worked. Remember when Brohm had a book of trick plays. Did he lose it or did someone steal it? I see other teams running trick plays all the time. It doesn't mean that talent means that you stop getting creative. It should mean that talent can make it work even better. When is the last time we did a reverse or a double reverse? I remember Wright throwing a touchdown pass last year. I remember all the different trick plays we ran in the first 2 years. It was something announcers brought up in every game back then. Don't hear it anymore. We do get one every once in a while, like the pass to Miller against Minnesota that surprised their defense last week. It is more a rarity now.

You can say if players need to execute the coach's calls, and that is true to a certain extend. However, most teams don't have a pathetic defense like ours that knew their 3rd string QB was going to run, run a second time, run a third time, etc. and still allow 5 to 6 yards on every run. Somethings that QB drug our defensive person(s) tackling him a couple more yards. We have executed plays like a 5 yard pass on 3rd down, and the sticks were 10 yards away. Who fault is that then? The play had the QB completing a pass, and it was a catch, but the WR was no where close to making the first down. I would say that is the coach's call, not the execution. Why can't we use Burton as a wildcat QB, if he is that athletic. The Saints do it all the time with Hill, even though they have Brees. Peyton is constantly doing innovative things on offense, even when he has had half of his WR hurt, and they still move the ball. Again, his offense is not stale. He keeps defenses on their toes, because they don't know what he is going to do. Brohm was like that his first 2 years, not much like that these last 2 years.

With our defense, we have to score 40 points to possible win any game, any game. We need to better use our skilled players. What we are doing is not working, we need to change up the calls then. Just my opinion.
Carr played last night

I think our opponents would rather take away the big play from Bell or Moore and be content with having us run the ball. Look at the first drive where we mostly ran the ball and scored but then Brohm gets inpatient and tries to out-gun the other team. I think he should give his brother another chance at calling the plays against Nebraska and stick with the run game until the opponent's defense stops the 2 safety over the top look.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT