ADVERTISEMENT

Does Ron English Survive the Bye Week?

Rethink what you watched. Offense had the ball twice at the end of the game to bleed clock and didnt. Syracuse game the offense did jack and shit for three quarters while the defense kept them in the game. That has been a problem all season. Jack and shit from the offense until its too late.
When you have a subpar OL, subpar RB contingent, no depth at TE, and, only a transfer to save the WR position...what you have gotten is probably not that far from what should have been expected unfortunately...and, if it weren't for the virtual miracle of having a 6th-year QB (who has not been as good as hoped (in part because of all of those reasons already mentioned, and, in part likely due to his injury)), it would be even more of a problem and mess.

So that’s 21 points on the d. You expect better in modern football?

I don’t think English is great. I think he is average , but he was absolutely correct to play single high against a run heavy team. Aoc wet the bed and we couldn’t overcome 3 ints.
That Wisconsin scored with genuinely zero resistance at all to start the game, despite doing nothing that was not reasonably expected set the tone.

This defense is not good...it lacks any star power or difference-maker (maybe Trice would qualify, but, he is incredibly inconsistent). It has depth at a single position (DL), which is the strength, but, that is in part because it is so bad everywhere else on that side of the ball.

Recruiting has been lousy on that side, and, development even more lousy. They are really bad against any mobile QB, and, bad against a competent passing attack...they were fortunate to avoid Ibrahim in the Minnesota game...they answered the bell in the Maryland game, but, that is really the only game where that has been the case.

They did correct, especially against minny and Maryland.

talent is an issue, especially at lb. Trice being out hurt.
Minny's game plan was brutal...and, in watching them since the Purdue game, they are not good anyway.

I am curious as to what you see at LB, as, aside of Graham (who is not even a true LB), I think there is an incredible talent issue at the position...but, maybe there is something there that you see that I don't.

Trice is the only quality guy in the secondary...maybe Jefferson as well, and, they miss him...but, they have issues back there for sure.

That Wisconsin scored with genuinely zero resistance at all to start the game, despite doing nothing that was not reasonably expected set the tone.

This defense is not good...it lacks any star power or difference-maker (maybe Trice would qualify, but, he is incredibly inconsistent). It has depth at a single position (DL), which is the strength, but, that is in part because it is so bad everywhere else on that side of the ball.

Recruiting has been lousy on that side, and, development even more lousy. They are really bad against any mobile QB, and, bad against a competent passing attack...they were fortunate to avoid Ibrahim in the Minnesota game...they answered the bell in the Maryland game, but, that is really the only game where that has been the case.
Trice has allowed 43 yards total, for the season. We could use more of that inconsistency. Dl is good. Not great but good. Jenkins could be really good as he gets older

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Minny's game plan was brutal...and, in watching them since the Purdue game, they are not good anyway.

I am curious as to what you see at LB, as, aside of Graham (who is not even a true LB), I think there is an incredible talent issue at the position...but, maybe there is something there that you see that I don't.

Trice is the only quality guy in the secondary...maybe Jefferson as well, and, they miss him...but, they have issues back there for sure.
Wahlberg can play. He should be starting over Douglas. That’s a bow to seniority. Douglas is too slow. Same with semisi. Oc brothers being out hurts.

Imagine being a Purdue fan and thinking they should play perfect on both side of the ball every game and beat teams consistently that have out recruited them for 15 years running.

I’d like Purdue to be perfect every game but considering Brohm has recruited maybe the best a coach has ever here…and it’s still only 25-35 ranked talent…I really don’t know what you’re expecting.
Probably need more walk-ons.

Put me in the camp that there's no way he gets fired. This defense is severely hamstrung in the secondary right now. A listed WR had to play down the stretch along with Taylor. Injuries are not 100% of the excuse, but this is also a defense that had been pretty damn solid until Nebraska.

Reactions: krf3632
Put me in the camp that there's no way he gets fired. This defense is severely hamstrung in the secondary right now. A listed WR had to play down the stretch along with Taylor. Injuries are not 100% of the excuse, but this is also a defense that had been pretty damn solid until Nebraska.
Missed that. Who was the wr?

They did correct, especially against minny and Maryland.

talent is an issue, especially at lb. Trice being out hurt.
When our Offense is off as they were yesterday, the secondary problem becomes magnified. Purdue does not cover well and cannot tackle well in the secondary. You say talent, I say it is coach. WI had at least one secondary season ending injury possibly multiple (I’m going to double check and report back…two Safety’s, OLB and DE out), how did they do as compared to ours?
A coach sets the tone and expectations. You can have less talent and have great fundamentals and still be competitive.
We are not competitive in our secondary.
For many to say we have NFL caliber secondary personnel either throws salt in the wound or it is laughable.

Last edited:
Reactions: DAG10
When our Offense is off as they were yesterday, the secondary problem becomes magnified. Purdue does not cover well and cannot tackle well in the secondary. You say talent, I say it is coach. WI had at least one secondary season ending injury possibly multiple (I’m going to double check and report back…two safety’s, OLB and DE out), how did they do as compared to ours?
A coach sets the tone and expectations. You can have less talent and have great fundamentals and still be competitive.
For many to say we have NFL caliber secondary personnel either throws salt in the wound or it is laughable.
We’re missing trice, Jefferson and brown has been dealing with injury all year.

trice has played well all season and is a likely pro. If you can’t see that I don’t know what to tell you.

When our Offense is off as they were yesterday, the secondary problem becomes magnified. Purdue does not cover well and cannot tackle well in the secondary. You say talent, I say it is coach. WI had at least one secondary season ending injury possibly multiple (I’m going to double check and report back…two safety’s, OLB and DE out), how did they do as compared to ours?
I think the problem is the linebackers as much or more than the secondary. Graham is good, but besides that, they are weak. That forces the safeties to play up more. We haven't really had more than 1 solid linebacker at a given time in a LONG time.

I think the problem is the linebackers as much or more than the secondary. Graham is good, but besides that, they are weak. That forces the safeties to play up more. We haven't really had more than 1 solid linebacker at a given time in a LONG time.
I think wahlberg is solid. If you want two good backers, its been since bentley and bailey

I hate posts that say we don’t have talent and then talk about the last decade. The facts are those players recruited 10 years ago are no longer playing for Purdue or their opponents! And a look at the recruiting rankings over the past 4 years would say Purdue should have the 4-6th best team in the BIG10 if based solely on recruited talent.

I also hate to see the comments about lack of depth as well. Every team has the same amount of scholarships, so how can Purdue’s depth be any worse than any other team? We do have a lot of qb and WRs. And. We redshirt a lot more players than other teams do.

what I see is a total lack of development. All of the players who redshirted are no better after redshirting than they were when they arrived. Very few of them gained very much weight or improved their strength or learned how to block or tackle any better than the players who played as freshmen. A nd some of those redshirt players actually regressed. Take a look at all those 4 star recruits that have done nothing at Purdue once they arrived. And then look at UW. Their recruits are ranked lower but they improve a lot more.

I see the lack of development as Purdue’s biggest problem! Brohm has brought talent to Purdue. These are no longer Hazell’s players! But I don’t see players showing any real improvement over the years. Look at Yanni, Allen, Hardwick and Graham! Are they any better this year than last? Did Yanni learn anything or even develop last year? Think about it. What year was Moore’s best season? Did Moore improve after his Freshman year? How much did Purdue’s coaches teach and develop Moore after his Freshman year?

who’s responsibility is developing players? The strength and conditioning coach? The position coaches? The oc and dc or the head coach? I believe Brohm is doing his job, But his assistants are severely lacking!

when you look at the ranking of the recruiting class over the past 5 years, this should be a top 25 team by now. And we’re nowhere close! The talent is there. The coaching is not.

Isn’t trice the same guy who was carried for 20 yards trying to make a tackle a couple of weeks ago? And his guy carried him into the end zone? You call that NFL talent ? Allen has zero speed! I believe every nfl scout knows that by now!

Isn’t trice the same guy who was carried for 20 yards trying to make a tackle a couple of weeks ago? And his guy carried him into the end zone? You call that NFL talent ? Allen has zero speed! I believe every nfl scout knows that by now!
That was a blown coverage by the safety that trice chased down and tried to strip the ball from. He wasn’t dragged, but valiant effort on your part.

yea, trice is an nfl player.

How many 6’3” 215 lb CBs who played P5 competition and who can run are not NFL draft choices? You’re going to look like a fool when Trice is drafted in Rounds 3-5 in the draft. He needs a strong combine to go in Round 3.

That was a blown coverage by the safety that trice chased down and tried to strip the ball from. He wasn’t dragged, but valiant effort on your part.

yea, trice is an nfl player.
I watched the play! He had 20 yards to make a tackle and didn’t! He was carried into the end zone. Stop being a homer.

How many 6’3” 215 lb CBs who played P5 competition and who can run are not NFL draft choices? You’re going to look like a fool when Trice is drafted in Rounds 3-5 in the draft. He needs a strong combine to go in Round 3.
He is such a good troll he has me convinced he is a mental defective

Reactions: SDBoiler1
Look at how great you thought Bell was and where he was drafted!

And. Nat you have me convinced you don’t know anything more than I do. The only difference is you pay for your info from Khc! I don’t! So who is the greater mental defective?

I hate posts that say we don’t have talent and then talk about the last decade. The facts are those players recruited 10 years ago are no longer playing for Purdue or their opponents! And a look at the recruiting rankings over the past 4 years would say Purdue should have the 4-6th best team in the BIG10 if based solely on recruited talent.

I also hate to see the comments about lack of depth as well. Every team has the same amount of scholarships, so how can Purdue’s depth be any worse than any other team? We do have a lot of qb and WRs. And. We redshirt a lot more players than other teams do.

what I see is a total lack of development. All of the players who redshirted are no better after redshirting than they were when they arrived. Very few of them gained very much weight or improved their strength or learned how to block or tackle any better than the players who played as freshmen. A nd some of those redshirt players actually regressed. Take a look at all those 4 star recruits that have done nothing at Purdue once they arrived. And then look at UW. Their recruits are ranked lower but they improve a lot more.

I see the lack of development as Purdue’s biggest problem! Brohm has brought talent to Purdue. These are no longer Hazell’s players! But I don’t see players showing any real improvement over the years. Look at Yanni, Allen, Hardwick and Graham! Are they any better this year than last? Did Yanni learn anything or even develop last year? Think about it. What year was Moore’s best season? Did Moore improve after his Freshman year? How much did Purdue’s coaches teach and develop Moore after his Freshman year?

who’s responsibility is developing players? The strength and conditioning coach? The position coaches? The oc and dc or the head coach? I believe Brohm is doing his job, But his assistants are severely lacking!

when you look at the ranking of the recruiting class over the past 5 years, this should be a top 25 team by now. And we’re nowhere close! The talent is there. The coaching is not.
We were #26 in last week’s AP poll yet you say we’re not close to the Top 25. Both PSU and Syracuse are rated in the Top 20 and Syracuse just gave #4 Clemson everything it could handle at Clemson yesterday. You always go hard over on these statements - and you’re almost always wrong.

Purdue hasn’t beaten Wisconsin in 16 tries - it’s not a surprise that they beat us. They own Purdue like Purdue has generally owned IU.

And. Nat you have me convinced you don’t know anything more than I do. The only difference is you pay for your info from Khc! I don’t! So who is the greater mental defective?
That $90 a year certainly is a rough spend.

You might be better off if you paid and read the premium board.

That’s an easy answer. It’s neither nat nor me. You are woefully uninformed.

He was trying to strip the ball. Stop being a dumbass.
I know he was trying to strip the ball! He failed miserably How about trying to just make the tackle? He had 20 yards to tackle him yet he wasted it trying to strip the ball. That is not fundamental defense! Make the tackle! It’s easy! And saves the td and gives the defense a second chance. Don’t be a hero, just make the play! Stop being a homer ! Are you the secondary coach always defending Purdue? Open your eyes and see what non Purdue fans see!

Reactions: DAG10
I know he was trying to strip the ball! He failed miserably How about trying to just make the tackle? He had 20 yards to tackle him yet he wasted it trying to strip the ball. That is not fundamental defense! Make the tackle! It’s easy! And saves the td and gives the defense a second chance. Don’t be a hero, just make the play! Stop being a homer ! Are you the secondary coach always defending Purdue?
Cant disagree he with you that he should have just gotten him down, but he wasnt dragged. Thats coaching.

Open your eyes and see what non Purdue fans see!

The truth comes out

That’s an easy answer. It’s neither nat nor me. You are woefully uninformed.
I guess you’re both just wanna bed. At least I admit I know nothing. But you two prove you know as little as I do! Perhaps you should try watching a game using a different perspective! Those national analysts can see it. They are not as biased as you believe!

the boilermakers lost! There were many reasons. Stop trying to protect them like some mother goose!

He had a brutal combine altogether.
His combine was brutal, but his pro day was just as bad! at this juncture I’m not confident either Allen or. trice will have a great combine either! I am now led to wonder why Trice has allowed so few yards this year? Is it because teams have learned our other defenders are so bad they just throw in their direction?

I guess you’re both just wanna bed. At least I admit I know nothing. But you two prove you know as little as I do! Perhaps you should try watching a game using a different perspective! Those national analysts can see it. They are not as biased as you believe!

the boilermakers lost! There were many reasons. Stop trying to protect them like some mother goose!
Whose protecting them? Just arguing against wildy spicy takes. Saying there is no talent or no one is developed is just wrong. Saying they laid an egg, is correct.

His combine was brutal, but his pro day was just as bad! at this juncture I’m not confident either Allen or. trice will have a great combine either! I am now led to wonder why Trice has allowed so few yards this year? Is it because teams have learned our other defenders are so bad they just throw in their direction?
Trice is a good corner, thats why.

Allen isnt a pro. Never was considered one.

True. I’ve overlooked them cause RB’s are already in the secondary bouncing off our players to the end zone. Glad you pointed out the other glaring position causing issues as well.
I don’t know who else was speechless after the first 5-10 minutes of 1st Qtr besides myself? Nothing like sitting in with the enemy fans and they are almost feeling sorry for us…”ALMOST”.

I'm guessing Trice projects as a FS at the next level. Wouldnt mind seeing what that looks like now.
I dont. If you put him on the boundary, he is more than fine. Look for teams with Carroll disciples to be interested.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT