ADVERTISEMENT

Did we let Iowa score their last TD?

FirstDownB

All-American
Oct 12, 2015
The thought crossed my mind. Once Iowa was in good FG position, 1st and 10, with just over 2:20 left, and their kicker was perfect 4/4. Worst case scenario in that situation is they make Brohm burn all 3 timeouts, then get a first down and inside the 5 and take three knees to end the game. Next worst scenario is they make Brohm burn all 3 timeouts, come up short of the first down, then kick the FG to go up two scores.

What happened was Iowa scoring on that 1st and 10 play with about 3 or 4 missed tackles, putting them up two scores but preserving all 3 Purdue timeouts with 2:16 left on the clock.

To be clear, I don't think this is what happened. The tackling on that drive was just THAT BAD. But in hindsight it might have been the right call. Just for fun, which of these scenarios would you rather be in?

(A) Your opponent has the ball, up by 6. 1st and 10 at your 14 yard line. You have three timeouts and there's 2:20 left in the game. (This was the situation just prior to Iowa's final TD)
(B) You are receiving a kickoff, down by 13. You have three timeouts and there's 2:16 left in the game. (What actually happened next)
(C) Your opponent has the ball, up by 6. 2nd and 3 at the 7. You have two timeouts and there's 2:16 left in the game. (What happens if Mosley tackles Sargent instead of getting run over and/or Mackey tackles instead of watching the fly by)
(D) Your opponent has the ball, up by 6, 1st and goal. You have one timeout and there's 2:00 left in the game. (Likely outcome after scenario C).
(E) You are receiving a kickoff, down by 9. You have no timeouts and there's under 2:00 left in the game. (Best case scenario after scenario C).

E seems slightly better than A or B. But no timeouts and you still have to recover the onside kick. Either way the win probability was in the fractions of a percent, but the TD was not the worst thing in the world whether it was intentional or not.

Last edited:
I think the defense was just spent.

Injuries means no depth and think they were just exhausted. Despite being young and in shape, after 55 minutes they had nothing left understandably

Explains the attempted onside at that point.

Reactions: Ignacious McNutt
I think people are putting entirely way too much thought in to what is just a singular problem, we're decimated with injuries. As Griffith said we have zero depth and a good team like Iowa will wear us down quickly because of it.

The depth issue is being addressed but we won't see much of it this season. For me, if we can finish the season with no more injuries I'll take that as a success at this point, no matter what our record actually is.

Reactions: Purdue85
I don't know if we let them score, but them scoring so quick was the only way Iowa could lose once they recovered the 1st onside kick. I mentioned it in the game thread. The weird thing was how they didn't go for 2 just in case something strange happened.

I don't know if we let them score, but them scoring so quick was the only way Iowa could lose once they recovered the 1st onside kick. I mentioned it in the game thread. The weird thing was how they didn't go for 2 just in case something strange happened.
Agree on all accounts. Mostly I just found it interesting that Iowa scoring so quickly arguably gave us a better chance of coming back.

Agree on all accounts. Mostly I just found it interesting that Iowa scoring so quickly arguably gave us a better chance of coming back.
I think it was similar to the last td psu scored on us, they said lets stop screwing around w/ finese and just get physical and pound it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT