ADVERTISEMENT

Dickinson Unsportsmanlike

Didn’t like it because you were disappointed in Ivey or because it wasn’t warranted?

I’m not a big fan of Ivey showboating after a dunk but he usually does it under the basket sometimes looking at a camera and I think it’s just natural to celebrate that, and I like that energy. He doesn’t seem to do it directed at other players or to fans. Very different than TJD and Dickinson.
I didn't like the official taking exception while Dickenson was clearly inciting the crowd. Ivey really didn't showboat to the point of warranting anything really. I actually love his energy. I have more of an issue with some of his shot selection.

That is all true and my point was the personal cost to Matt. We are all involved as fans to Purdue Basketball in our appreciation of any virtues on display as well as admiration of the specific talent. However Matt is committed working daily to improve the team the right way.

We are like the chicken egg to breakfast whereas Matt is closer to the sacrifice of the pig. ;)
What is with this chicken biscuits and chicken waffles nonsense? That does NOT sound appetizing at all.

To your point, the chicken's contribution to breakfast should be solely in the form of the egg.

one of my fave plays yesterday was when Tre out ran him down the court for an easy 2 later in the 2nd half.
and the time before when Jaden pushed it to the rim for a score added 2 pts over the previous push by Michigan when Dickinson scored. Personally I would love to see the group of Tre, Caleb and Ethan run the court on every defensive rebound with Jaden and Isaiah pushing the ball as quick as possible knowing that you may not score, but you are also causing their 5, 4 and 3 to run the court as well...especially if their bench is short.

We would see a whole bunch of players play college if the court was 84 ft like high school. That 10 ft gap not only adds up over a few possession, but sometimes is a gap big enough to score just due to one player being fast enough to have enough space to score. Won't be a big impact probably, but it requires them slightly more energy than Purdue...may decrease their offensive rebounds knowing Purdue really pushes it. Purdue doesn't have to score, but just apply offensive pressure due to Purdue's depth...

What is with this chicken biscuits and chicken waffles nonsense? That does NOT sound appetizing at all.

To your point, the chicken's contribution to breakfast should be solely in the form of the egg.
Yes, the chicken "contributes" the egg and goes on with the rest of it's life. The pig being committed loses his life... ;)

• Haha
Reactions: BSIT and Purdue85
Kids can only choose one school. There will always be near misses.

I’m glad Purdue got Edey. I wouldn’t trade him for Dickinson.
I’m glad we got him in that he represents Purdue better, although maybe Dickinson doesn’t get away with that behavior under Matt or if he’s with teammates like Trevion who are team focused.
but I think anyone who says we are better off with Edey this year and last year is lying or ignorant. We had one weakness last year at the 4 and we could have been a FF team with Hunter playing a 4 (let’s not pretend he wasn’t first team big ten as a freshman). Same this year. Edey is a Naismith finalist but sure would be a luxury if he didn’t have to split minutes with Trevion. If Edey sticks around longer than Hunter I might feel different.

and it wasn’t a near miss with Hunter. He had committed verbally to Purdue who stopped recruiting and then Howard came along with a late offer and he blindsided Purdue who was still expecting a commit almost up to the hour of his announcement. I don’t blame him for changing his mind he’s just a kid and michigan was not on the table but he shouldn’t have reserved his spot with paint if he was on the fence and he sure as heck expect to take some heat for it from the other teams that got stiffed.

Reactions: Bethboilerfan
I’m glad we got him in that he represents Purdue better, although maybe Dickinson doesn’t get away with that behavior under Matt or if he’s with teammates like Trevion who are team focused.
but I think anyone who says we are better off with Edey this year and last year is lying or ignorant. We had one weakness last year at the 4 and we could have been a FF team with Hunter playing a 4 (let’s not pretend he wasn’t first team big ten as a freshman). Same this year. Edey is a Naismith finalist but sure would be a luxury if he didn’t have to split minutes with Trevion. If Edey sticks around longer than Hunter I might feel different.

and it wasn’t a near miss with Hunter. He had committed verbally to Purdue who stopped recruiting and then Howard came along with a late offer and he blindsided Purdue who was still expecting a commit almost up to the hour of his announcement. I don’t blame him for changing his mind he’s just a kid and michigan was not on the table but he shouldn’t have reserved his spot with paint if he was on the fence and he sure as heck expect to take some heat for it from the other teams that got stiffed.
We’re not going anywhere with Hunter Dickinson playing the 4.

and the time before when Jaden pushed it to the rim for a score added 2 pts over the previous push by Michigan when Dickinson scored. Personally I would love to see the group of Tre, Caleb and Ethan run the court on every defensive rebound with Jaden and Isaiah pushing the ball as quick as possible knowing that you may not score, but you are also causing their 5, 4 and 3 to run the court as well...especially if their bench is short.

We would see a whole bunch of players play college if the court was 84 ft like high school. That 10 ft gap not only adds up over a few possession, but sometimes is a gap big enough to score just due to one player being fast enough to have enough space to score. Won't be a big impact probably, but it requires them slightly more energy than Purdue...may decrease their offensive rebounds knowing Purdue really pushes it. Purdue doesn't have to score, but just apply offensive pressure due to Purdue's depth...
Ethan did not play in the 2nd half again, noticed this the last 3 games.

He was totally allowed to foul the crap out of Eddy . I get sick of it. His 3 balls were uncontested. Michigan hit out the ass 3 balls from the corner. Seems like everybody hits against Purdue. Michigan did a great job of defending our 3 point shots but we won underneath. They could not defend Ivey penetration. Tuesday will be war.
B1G officiating is off the charts brutal...and, that was before I saw Lamont Simpson doing a game last night (as I was not even aware he was still doing games, never mind B1G ones...in fact, I wonder(ed) if it was weather-related).

B1G has long had some clowns, but, this year...just brutal.

The way they call games from venue-to-venue is ridiculous...what they do from half-to-half (ala yesterday), equally so.

I am in all seriousness shocked with gambling what it is now that there are not some actual investigations with some of the things that have happened.

Like say, it is a B1G problem (and, a big problem)...but, nobody really cares, so, it just happens and continues.

Edey has been more dominant this year. It’s just not obvious because he splits time with Williams. Per 40 minutes, Edey is averaging 31.9 points and 16.3 rebounds. Dickinson is averaging 23.4 points and 10.2 rebounds per 40.

I don’t remember Dickinson committing to Purdue, but if that happened it sounds similar to what Purdue benefitted from with Caleb Swanigan and Isaac Haas. Kids do sometimes change their minds. In the end, Painter landed Edey so it turned out great for Purdue.

I get all that, but if we are to be above average, then we must be above average. No question making fun of Haas sister (IU) or saying how ugly he is (MD), hitting pat Keady (IU), spitting at anyone, Texas Tech recently and so on and so on are behaviors that may come from big bodies, but not necessarily "adults" and I say that knowing full well my behavior is different today that when I was younger. NONE of this should imply that Purdue has sunken to some depth, just that I think the "some of the" Paint Crew can do better.

Can you imagine all the time and effort Matt put in trying to recuit Dickinson? Add to that the number of hours reviewing tape, practicing and walking through the next offense & defense Purdue is playing next. Can you imagine the gut wrenching defeat if Hunter's 3 balls led to a victory? Yet with all the "personal investment" Matt made, I and I'm sure others expected Matt to have kind words for Hunter after the game when shkaing hands. Now a physical brawl trying to hurt a player and Matt would probably not be fine with it, but a kid no matter the smart a$$ playing well doesn't warrant the same approach was a thug in a brawl...
Painter was kind and classy after in shaking hands, and, I have no doubt that he was both throughout (and after) Dickinson's recruitment.

Dickinson misled Purdue...he left them in a somewhat difficult spot...but, it ultimately worked out, and, probably worked out best for Dickinson and Purdue.

I don't care for him or his antics, but, many did not care for Haarms in the exact same way.

He is a good basketball player...he would have been good at Purdue (maybe even better)...he acted like an a$$ yesterday, but, he also was very good at the offensive end (and generally is).

Purdue did not lose him at the last minute though...they moved on when he failed to commit after having indicated that he was going to...they moved on to Edey, which at the time did not seem as ideal as it ultimately has played out..Purdue did just fine with him going to Michigan, and, he nearly led to them to a FF last year, so, it worked out for them and him as well.

Edey has been more dominant this year. It’s just not obvious because he splits time with Williams. Per 40 minutes, Edey is averaging 31.9 points and 16.3 rebounds. Dickinson is averaging 23.4 points and 10.2 rebounds per 40.

I don’t remember Dickinson committing to Purdue, but if that happened it sounds similar to what Purdue benefitted from with Caleb Swanigan and Isaac Haas. Kids do sometimes change their minds. In the end, Painter landed Edey so it turned out great for Purdue.
It was never public just silent verbal but when he surprised everyone when he released his final 4 just a few weeks later and purdue was not in it. Purdues 2-4 options at the post committed right before that in a run with the rumor their purdue offer was off the table after dickinson had committed even though all 3 were salivating over purdue especially kalkbrenner who wanted to study ChemE. duke had just offered hunter and everyone freaked out but there had been assurance it would not be an issue.

its fine to change their minds I get it. but he still made the bed and should expect to get crap when coming to mackey and take it in stride. we did benefit from biggie and im sure he took crap from msu fans and he took it well.

I don't care much for Coach K, but they said on the news this morning that UNC fans booed him after the game, I think that's bad sportsmanship.

But is it really? I would have gladly booed Bobby had I known at any point that it was his last game in Mackey...I mean, I never cared for him along the way...why would I think favorably of him when he left?

"K" is such a pompous a$$ most of the time...he acts (and believes) that he is better than everyone (I wonder where he would have got that?)...he has won a ton of games...but, he has some blemishes as well, and, as a UNC fan, there are probably far more reasons even to not like him.

Painter was kind and classy after in shaking hands, and, I have no doubt that he was both throughout (and after) Dickinson's recruitment.

Dickinson misled Purdue...he left them in a somewhat difficult spot...but, it ultimately worked out, and, probably worked out best for Dickinson and Purdue.

I don't care for him or his antics, but, many did not care for Haarms in the exact same way.

He is a good basketball player...he would have been good at Purdue (maybe even better)...he acted like an a$$ yesterday, but, he also was very good at the offensive end (and generally is).

Purdue did not lose him at the last minute though...they moved on when he failed to commit after having indicated that he was going to...they moved on to Edey, which at the time did not seem as ideal as it ultimately has played out..Purdue did just fine with him going to Michigan, and, he nearly led to them to a FF last year, so, it worked out for them and him as well.
youre right it wasnt last minute. we offered zach 5 days after we got blindsided when we didnt make his final four. but he misled purdue so far that they pulled their scholarships for the other bigs to hold it for him and by the time he let purdue know he wasnt coming they all committed elsewhere.

I didn't like the official taking exception while Dickenson was clearly inciting the crowd. Ivey really didn't showboat to the point of warranting anything really. I actually love his energy. I have more of an issue with some of his shot selection.
I did not see this on tv, but is it possible they were warning him for hitting the ball after it went through the net rather than celebrating? I’ve noticed he does that sometimes and that can be called a delay of game warning.

The Maryland-Michigan game where Howard went off on Turgeon also involved some comments by Dickinson about Maryland and Turgeon that were inappropriate and unnecessary. I am glad Purdue got Zach and not Dickinson. Zach is a classier guy.

B1G officiating is off the charts brutal...and, that was before I saw Lamont Simpson doing a game last night (as I was not even aware he was still doing games, never mind B1G ones...in fact, I wonder(ed) if it was weather-related).

The way they call games from venue-to-venue is ridiculous...what they do from half-to-half (ala yesterday), equally so.

I am in all seriousness shocked with gambling what it is now that there are not some actual investigations with some of the things that have happened.

Like say, it is a B1G problem (and, a big problem)...but, nobody really cares, so, it just happens and continues.

After yesterday......

Oh, name is Scirotto.....you also on da list.

l1EcT86.gif

I don't care much for Coach K, but they said on the news this morning that UNC fans booed him after the game, I think that's bad sportsmanship.
Yeah I heard that this morning on Tom Brennan's show. Very poor. Didn't help that UNC was getting destroyed but still. Unfortunate.

Dickinson never committed to Purdue. It was just an expectation at one brief point in his recruitment.

Agree especially while watching IU v Illinois. Curbelo had a steal and breakaway and was tripped and no call. 2 refs saw it and just kept going. Few other questionable no calls on Kofi when he was in the protected area.

The Maryland-Michigan game where Howard went off on Turgeon also involved some comments by Dickinson about Maryland and Turgeon that were inappropriate and unnecessary. I am glad Purdue got Zach and not Dickinson. Zach is a classier guy.
His comments on the Illinois fans may have been accurate but if our players said then I probably cringe.

Dickinson never committed to Purdue. It was just an expectation at one brief point in his recruitment.
he misled Purdue, it’s been reported behind paywalls and It was reported he told the staff he was coming. That’s a silent verbal commitment and not an expectation if you ask me. And I suppose it was just a coincidence the other 3 bigs we were recruiting with all indications Purdue was their front runner and waiting out what happened there all committed to different schools in the same week, a week before Hunter blindsided Purdue when he left them off his top 4 (when it was expected the announcement was that he was going to come to Purdue).

Agree especially while watching IU v Illinois. Curbelo had a steal and breakaway and was tripped and no call. 2 refs saw it and just kept going. Few other questionable no calls on Kofi when he was in the protected area.
It was so bad that it was comical....there were SO many bad calls in that game...and, who was the lead official...none other than the biggest clown of all, Bo Bo.

Never mind the inexcusable missed trip on Curbelo...it was followed up by a flagrant foul call on Goode after Indinia got the ball back after having tripped Curbelo.

Johnson fouled incessantly and repeatedly and managed to draw a foul somehow out of it.

Like say...it is an issue with the conference and not just expecting more/better, but, not demanding it...there are no ramifications or repercussions for any of these guys.

Like say, with gambling what it is now...how some of these guys get to do games is puzzling...they absolutely impact games/scores/outcomes.

It just shows how much better Illinois really is to have overcome the 3 officials on top of the opponent down there yesterday.

That said, "some" in the paint crew need to stay above the lack of class of IU. Phuck Dickinson or daddy's boy at Fran's kids take Purdue closer to the cult down south, something I assume all prefer to stay above. I didn't hear it (Kim did) and rarely aware of anything outside the lines. I would much rather hear a chant (if I heard anything) of defense over and over than the two I mentioned that never had a lot of paint crew support as I understand. Yes, Dickinson was an a$$ and no doubt a general antic thrown towards teh Paint Crew and although you can't control things thrown your way, if that is the interpretation, you can control how you respond.
Update...A paint crew member said it did not come from paint crew but a student section that got tickets and said the paint crew tried to drown them out

Update...A paint crew member said it did not come from paint crew but a student section that got tickets and said the paint crew tried to drown them out
It definitely came from the Paint Crew...not in its entirety by any means, but, more than enough as well.

It was unfortunate that it happened...but, at the same time, things like this happen more commonly now than they have in the past...which is equally unfortunate.

Reactions: tjreese
Ethan did not play in the 2nd half again, noticed this the last 3 games.
I can't remember noticing him much the past few games. Hit one 3 that I recall but otherwise gone awfully quiet. I'm surprised and confused by it as he was playing so well for awhile. Not that he's playing poorly, I see him working. Just not putting up numbers or seeming to handle the ball much.
Maybe Jaden's increased ball handling has taken away Ethans limited ball handling?

I can't remember noticing him much the past few games. Hit one 3 that I recall but otherwise gone awfully quiet. I'm surprised and confused by it as he was playing so well for awhile. Not that he's playing poorly, I see him working. Just not putting up numbers or seeming to handle the ball much.
Maybe Jaden's increased ball handling has taken away Ethans limited ball handling?
I think his minutes down the stretch are more dependent on lineup scenarios. Not that he isn’t playing well just specific situations.

Knew dick was hot trash when he was supposedly hit in face by zac and the first things he does is hit the floor and LOOK AT THE REF TO SEE THE CALL then grab his jaw That was total bs. kid that good doesn't need to take a fal like that. I hope people saw that .
Everyone saw that, a delayed reaction as his head went back! It wasn’t the worst flop of the day for Michigan, how about when Eli Brooks ran into his own guy?

That said, "some" in the paint crew need to stay above the lack of class of IU. Phuck Dickinson or daddy's boy at Fran's kids take Purdue closer to the cult down south, something I assume all prefer to stay above. I didn't hear it (Kim did) and rarely aware of anything outside the lines. I would much rather hear a chant (if I heard anything) of defense over and over than the two I mentioned that never had a lot of paint crew support as I understand. Yes, Dickinson was an a$$ and no doubt a general antic thrown towards teh Paint Crew and although you can't control things thrown your way, if that is the interpretation, you can control how you respond.

Yep and the most IMPORTANT thing is , everytime we react to something we are teaching the younger generations how to act, after having something thrown at them . (verbally).

Yep and the most IMPORTANT thing is , everytime we react to something we are teaching the younger generations how to act, after having something thrown at them . (verbally).
Being older it was a common phrase and understanding to not let words bother you...which is NOT to be confused in verbal abuse being warranted in many cases. I recall, "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me." People shouldn't do what they do sometimes, but if they do, you always have a choice in how you react...kinda like reading a defense... ;)

I get all that, but if we are to be above average, then we must be above average. No question making fun of Haas sister (IU) or saying how ugly he is (MD), hitting pat Keady (IU), spitting at anyone, Texas Tech recently and so on and so on are behaviors that may come from big bodies, but not necessarily "adults" and I say that knowing full well my behavior is different today that when I was younger. NONE of this should imply that Purdue has sunken to some depth, just that I think the "some of the" Paint Crew can do better.

Can you imagine all the time and effort Matt put in trying to recuit Dickinson? Add to that the number of hours reviewing tape, practicing and walking through the next offense & defense Purdue is playing next. Can you imagine the gut wrenching defeat if Hunter's 3 balls led to a victory? Yet with all the "personal investment" Matt made, I and I'm sure others expected Matt to have kind words for Hunter after the game when shkaing hands. Now a physical brawl trying to hurt a player and Matt would probably not be fine with it, but a kid no matter the smart a$$ playing well doesn't warrant the same approach was a thug in a brawl...
There’s a long history of crowd misbehavior in Bloomington, from game long insults about IH’s sister to taunting of players and their parents, often with overt racial overtones. Everyone remembers when PK was hit by a rain of debris thrown at her and other family members, and nothing was done about it. It’s IU after all. The WalMarters don’t know any better.

There’s a long history of crowd misbehavior in Bloomington, from game long insults about IH’s sister to taunting of players and their parents, often with overt racial overtones. Everyone remembers when PK was hit by a rain of debris thrown at her and other family members, and nothing was done about it. It’s IU after all. The WalMarters don’t know any better.
...and for those that do know better...Edmund Burke reminds us "All that is necessary for evil to succeed is that good men do nothing."

The Maryland game was a real highlight.

Knight set the tone and it has continued even without being a prominent program today.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT