ADVERTISEMENT

Dickinson Unsportsmanlike

POTFHBTFU

Sophomore
Jul 25, 2021
We’ve had some players the opposing fans hate like Kramer but not because he was an a$$#0le like Dickinson was. His showboating and throwing his arms up at the student section were pretty embarrassing. Another reason I’m glad we ended up “settling” with Edey after losing Dickinson and I suspect these personality gaps may have been a minor factor in how the recruiting all came down. It’s one thing to get excited and cheer on your teammates like Trevion or to dramatically pause after a big dunk but to show up the opposing fans (especially when you are losing) is uncalled for.

We’ve had some players the opposing fans hate like Kramer but not because he was an a$$#0le like Dickinson was. His showboating and throwing his arms up at the student section were pretty embarrassing. Another reason I’m glad we ended up “settling” with Edey after losing Dickinson and I suspect these personality gaps may have been a minor factor in how the recruiting all came down. It’s one thing to get excited and cheer on your teammates like Trevion or to dramatically pause after a big dunk but to show up the opposing fans (especially when you are losing) is uncalled for.
I've never gotten the player that does this all while losing a game. It felt like they were down double digits most the game. Reminds me of football player getting a TD, celebrating and getting their butts kicked.

I guess he thinks it's cool. He obviously spends a lot of time developing his post-3 gesticulations.

The one he did after a make from the top wherein he mimed having a ten-inch schlong made him look like the biggest nerd in the building.

That is no small feat given the number of engineers in Mackey.

Meh, just looked to me like a guy celebrating a big shot. There were several points in yesterday's game where it looked like Purdue was about to blow the doors off it only to have Dickinson bring them back. He had a helluva game. The guy's a gamer. Gonna be a handful when in Ann Arbor.

I've never gotten the player that does this all while losing a game. It felt like they were down double digits most the game. Reminds me of football player getting a TD, celebrating and getting their butts kicked.

I've never been a fan of trash talking or showboating.

Energy? Bring that all game, every day.

Purdue played at Penn State, and a PSU player tried to trash talk Carsen Edwards when PSU was down. Carsen looked at him, then pointed up at the scoreboard as if to say, WTH?

Trash talking reeks of insecurity.

Meh, just looked to me like a guy celebrating a big shot. There were several points in yesterday's game where it looked like Purdue was about to blow the doors off it only to have Dickinson bring them back. He had a helluva game. The guy's a gamer. Gonna be a handful when in Ann Arbor.
I don’t mind celebrating a shot like when you throw up your 3 finger gesture (although it was funny because it was only a 2). But when he made a three and ran down the court and then clearly gestured at the student section when they were down big still I thought was stupid and if it were football may have been flagged

He was totally allowed to foul the crap out of Eddy . I get sick of it. His 3 balls were uncontested. Michigan hit out the ass 3 balls from the corner. Seems like everybody hits against Purdue. Michigan did a great job of defending our 3 point shots but we won underneath. They could not defend Ivey penetration. Tuesday will be war.

He is the #1 villain in the BT this year by far. It's too bad his immature antics detract from basketball fans being able to objectively appreciate his skills and abilities. He is soft when contending with a physical peer and has a strange running stride (he kind of tippy toes down the court), but with his outside game that he is showing this year, he is on his BT farewell tour.

He was totally allowed to foul the crap out of Eddy . I get sick of it. His 3 balls were uncontested. Michigan hit out the ass 3 balls from the corner. Seems like everybody hits against Purdue. Michigan did a great job of defending our 3 point shots but we won underneath. They could not defend Ivey penetration. Tuesday will be war.
It reminds of the IU game. Durr would lower his arms to create contact and was throwing off Edey's ability to go straight up. 7'4" doesn't give the defender the right to lower his arms. I wish he could develop an old school hook shot. He get so deep it would be unstoppable.

The few remaining Indinia fans are in full meltdown over this, even though none of them saw it. They remember well their well earned reputation for treating opposing teams and their fans horribly (including their treatment of Matt Haarms and their chants toward a Saint John’s player earlier this season), and they’re projecting and deflecting in hopes of turning the spotlight away from them. One of the non grad Walmarters was busted by IU for “publishing” a phony press release after the SJ mess, and he’s back whining again. That kind of bitterness, especially with family roots, must be awful. I’ll try to find the fake release. It was poorly constructed and contained numerous grammatical errors, a classic representation of this type of “fan” and little brother mentality. I guess his outing by IU really stung him.

He is the #1 villain in the BT this year by far. It's too bad his immature antics detract from basketball fans being able to objectively appreciate his skills and abilities. He is soft when contending with a physical peer and has a strange running stride (he kind of tippy toes down the court), but with his outside game that he is showing this year, he is on his BT farewell tour.
Soft you say; he did grab 2 rebounds yesterday. 😁

Well, watching HD hitting treys at the top yesterday,
I saw what is coming of Edey next year at 3-pt line.
Remember, Zach wants to be the 10th 200-made-treys for Purdue!
YOLO, Zach!!

Boiler Up!!

Well, watching HD hitting treys at the top yesterday,
I saw what is coming of Edey next year at 3-pt line.
Remember, Zach wants to be the 10th 200-made-treys for Purdue!
YOLO, Zach!!

Boiler Up!!
I would like to see him do a 10-15ft jumper from time to time. That would change how the defense reacts to our entire team.

And now it's the norm. Everyone thinks they're an NFL wide receiver.
That's why the nba lost me. Unfortunately it's trickling down to high school (and worse) now...
Was at the Y friday and while walking the track I watched some pickup games. At every age (down to 7th or 8th graders) the game consists of: 5 guys out at the 3 line, everyone takes their turn (ok,not really) trying to break their man down off the dribble. Since not many actually can, they then pass to one of the other guys who then takes HIS TURN to go one on one. The few times they got free and actually made the layup (defense?) you'd have thought they won the super bowl.
I started watching my feet 20 minutes in.
That is basketball. In Indiana. circa 2022
May God rest our souls.

Last edited:
That said, "some" in the paint crew need to stay above the lack of class of IU. Phuck Dickinson or daddy's boy at Fran's kids take Purdue closer to the cult down south, something I assume all prefer to stay above. I didn't hear it (Kim did) and rarely aware of anything outside the lines. I would much rather hear a chant (if I heard anything) of defense over and over than the two I mentioned that never had a lot of paint crew support as I understand. Yes, Dickinson was an a$$ and no doubt a general antic thrown towards teh Paint Crew and although you can't control things thrown your way, if that is the interpretation, you can control how you respond.

That said, "some" in the paint crew need to stay above the lack of class of IU. Phuck Dickinson or daddy's boy at Fran's kids take Purdue closer to the cult down south, something I assume all prefer to stay above. I didn't hear it (Kim did) and rarely aware of anything outside the lines. I would much rather hear a chant (if I heard anything) of defense over and over than the two I mentioned that never had a lot of paint crew support as I understand. Yes, Dickinson was an a$$ and no doubt a general antic thrown towards teh Paint Crew and although you can't control things thrown your way, if that is the interpretation, you can control how you respond.
This. The Paint Crew went at him first. He is an ass for sure, but the students got on him early.
Also, of note that may not have been seen on TV, Ivory got a verbal warning for the gestures he made after a shot. At that point I seriously questioned if we were playing in Ann Arbor. I really disagreed with a few calls. And, I hate doing that. But, with Dickinson getting away with taunting the students? Didn't much care for it even though it was a subtle warning and no stoppage of play with it.

I guess he thinks it's cool. He obviously spends a lot of time developing his post-3 gesticulations.

The one he did after a make from the top wherein he mimed having a ten-inch schlong made him look like the biggest nerd in the building.

I always say once a dick(inson)always a dick(inson)

A little town called lickens z dickinson

But there’s different levels. Complaining of chants of IU Sucks and a handful of IU sucks and comparing it to Iu who has the entire crowd yelling profanities where we have to turn off our TVs with the kids watching or where iu is making fun of someone’s Asian descent or Isaac haas’ disabled sister is not the same. There’s always fans who will say inappropriate things whether it’s immature students or drunk adults in all levels of the game at every stadium and the student athletes need to take the high road. It’s not like the player who spat on the fan but same argument.

This. The Paint Crew went at him first. He is an ass for sure, but the students got on him early.
Also, of note that may not have been seen on TV, Ivory got a verbal warning for the gestures he made after a shot. At that point I seriously questioned if we were playing in Ann Arbor. I really disagreed with a few calls. And, I hate doing that. But, with Dickinson getting away with taunting the students? Didn't much care for it even though it was a subtle warning and no stoppage of play with it.
I missed hearing the chant and never saw Jaden get warned either. I'm just not very good catching those things. Kim, catches that stuff and was very disappointed that some thought they were in Bloomington. I also question if "some" took it personal knowing the attention Matt gave Hunter to only lose him at the last to Howard and Michigan. I hope not, but have seen that " personal" attack years ago when players switched schools to play ball.

I'm more concerned about getting a lead by playing smart and then settling on shots much different than what got the lead that end up missing more than making and not setting Purdue's defense leading to the other team having a run. If it seems boring scoring with good shots in an effective manner and more often than not setting the D, just keep doing it...I and many will live with the boredom. Borrowed from that "moment on your lips, forever on your hips" to that "moment on the trips, forever in the dips"

Play yourselves against the game, not the other team...

But there’s different levels. Complaining of chants of IU Sucks and a handful of IU sucks and comparing it to Iu who has the entire crowd yelling profanities where we have to turn off our TVs with the kids watching or where iu is making fun of someone’s Asian descent or Isaac haas’ disabled sister is not the same. There’s always fans who will say inappropriate things whether it’s immature students or drunk adults in all levels of the game at every stadium and the student athletes need to take the high road. It’s not like the player who spat on the fan but same argument.
True, however "phuck you Dickenson" is pretty over the top IMO. I'm fine with IU sucks. I'm fine with airball....we heard plenty of that. But the Dickenson chant was too much.

I missed hearing the chant and never saw Jaden get warned either. I'm just not very good catching those things. Kim, catches that stuff and was very disappointed that some thought they were in Bloomington. I also question if "some" took it personal knowing the attention Matt gave Hunter to only lose him at the last to Howard and Michigan. I hope not, but have seen that " personal" attack years ago when players switched schools to play ball.

I'm more concerned about getting a lead by playing smart and then settling on shots much different than what got the lead that end up missing more than making and not setting Purdue's defense leading to the other team having a run. If it seems boring scoring with good shots in an effective manner and more often than not setting the D, just keep doing it...I and many will live with the boredom. Borrowed from that "moment on your lips, forever on your hips" to that "moment on the trips, forever in the dips"

Play yourselves against the game, not the other team...
The chant came from both student sections. However, it wasn't all game long with that specific chant.

And the verbal was pretty private and seemed casual. I still didn't like it.

True, however "phuck you Dickenson" is pretty over the top IMO. I'm fine with IU sucks. I'm fine with airball....we heard plenty of that. But the Dickenson chant was too much.
I didn’t hear it on my TV. It’s not ok and over the top. I hear it loud and clear from Iu but suspect it was just a handful at Purdue as it was not heard on tv and not representative of our fans. Our fans are pretty smart and know the background of Dickinson. I’m sure Swanigan heard a lot worse from MSU fans.

The chant came from both student sections. However, it wasn't all game long with that specific chant.

And the verbal was pretty private and seemed casual. I still didn't like it.
Didn’t like it because you were disappointed in Ivey or because it wasn’t warranted?

I’m not a big fan of Ivey showboating after a dunk but he usually does it under the basket sometimes looking at a camera and I think it’s just natural to celebrate that, and I like that energy. He doesn’t seem to do it directed at other players or to fans. Very different than TJD and Dickinson.

I get all that, but if we are to be above average, then we must be above average. No question making fun of Haas sister (IU) or saying how ugly he is (MD), hitting pat Keady (IU), spitting at anyone, Texas Tech recently and so on and so on are behaviors that may come from big bodies, but not necessarily "adults" and I say that knowing full well my behavior is different today that when I was younger. NONE of this should imply that Purdue has sunken to some depth, just that I think the "some of the" Paint Crew can do better.

Can you imagine all the time and effort Matt put in trying to recuit Dickinson? Add to that the number of hours reviewing tape, practicing and walking through the next offense & defense Purdue is playing next. Can you imagine the gut wrenching defeat if Hunter's 3 balls led to a victory? Yet with all the "personal investment" Matt made, I and I'm sure others expected Matt to have kind words for Hunter after the game when shkaing hands. Now a physical brawl trying to hurt a player and Matt would probably not be fine with it, but a kid no matter the smart a$$ playing well doesn't warrant the same approach was a thug in a brawl...

Reactions: Chi-Boiler
I get all that, but if we are to be above average, then we must be above average. No question making fun of Haas sister (IU) or saying how ugly he is (MD), hitting pat Keady (IU), spitting at anyone, Texas Tech recently and so on and so on are behaviors that may come from big bodies, but not necessarily "adults" and I say that knowing full well my behavior is different today that when I was younger. NONE of this should imply that Purdue has sunken to some depth, just that I think the "some of the" Paint Crew can do better.

Can you imagine all the time and effort Matt put in trying to recuit Dickinson? Add to that the number of hours reviewing tape, practicing and walking through the next offense & defense Purdue is playing next. Can you imagine the gut wrenching defeat if Hunter's 3 balls led to a victory? Yet with all the "personal investment" Matt made, I and I'm sure others expected Matt to have kind words for Hunter after the game when shkaing hands. Now a physical brawl trying to hurt a player and Matt would probably not be fine with it, but a kid no matter the smart a$$ playing well doesn't warrant the same approach was a thug in a brawl...
But Matt probably would love to say something else to Hunter (and obviously cannot) and has made comments that were passive aggressive regarding specific recruits. He is held to a different standard than our fans. It is believed Hunter had verbally committed and reneged and many of our smart fans know that. Hunter has to own that decision. I guess he’s just a kid but he put Matt in a bad situation where he had cooled off and stopped recruiting other bigs and when Hunter went to Um those others fell like dominoes. At the end of the day we ended up with a great big in Edey but it doesn’t change the fact Hunter screwed our basketball program by backing out of his verbal.

I think that landing Zach Edey has done a lot to reduce the sting of missing out on Dickinson.

Reactions: Bethboilerfan
I think that landing Zach Edey has done a lot to reduce the sting of missing out on Dickinson.
It doesn’t make us feel less badly towards him. You think msu fans are fine with biggie because they got Nick Ward or Jalen Jackson? Hunter was all big ten last year and I thought we could have used him with Trevion on the floor together.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
In interviews dickenson has stated that he likes playing the villian role and likes it when people target him.

seems like everybody? you're right because we keep doing too much of doubling down on the post

But Matt probably would love to say something else to Hunter (and obviously cannot) and has made comments that were passive aggressive regarding specific recruits. He is held to a different standard than our fans. It is believed Hunter had verbally committed and reneged and many of our smart fans know that. Hunter has to own that decision. I guess he’s just a kid but he put Matt in a bad situation where he had cooled off and stopped recruiting other bigs and when Hunter went to Um those others fell like dominoes. At the end of the day we ended up with a great big in Edey but it doesn’t change the fact Hunter screwed our basketball program by backing out of his verbal.
That is all true and my point was the personal cost to Matt. We are all involved as fans to Purdue Basketball in our appreciation of any virtues on display as well as admiration of the specific talent. However Matt is committed working daily to improve the team the right way.

We are like the chicken egg to breakfast whereas Matt is closer to the sacrifice of the pig. ;)

I didn’t hear it on my TV. It’s not ok and over the top. I hear it loud and clear from Iu but suspect it was just a handful at Purdue as it was not heard on tv and not representative of our fans. Our fans are pretty smart and know the background of Dickinson. I’m sure Swanigan heard a lot worse from MSU fans.
I don't care much for Coach K, but they said on the news this morning that UNC fans booed him after the game, I think that's bad sportsmanship.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT