ADVERTISEMENT

Defense Lives Here

Eventually, I hope we can say "a championship lives here". It is great that they typically have good defensive teams, but I'd rather that the program's mantra and focus shift more to other aspects as well.

Reactions: rgarlitz and cprh9u
Eventually, I hope we can say "a championship lives here". It is great that they typically have good defensive teams, but I'd rather that the program's mantra and focus shift more to other aspects as well.
Oy. Why can't people just be happy about an award? I get what you're saying but come on..

Congrats to AJH on a great achievement!

I don't think that the focus on defense is to the exclusion of offense or anything else, but let's not derail this thread.

Congrats to AJ and Ray. They were instrumental in turning the program around and they are very deserving of this recognition.

Shut up - and GFYS

I offer my apologies. I can see that it looks like I'm being a downer (congrats to Hammons for sure) but I just saw the title and it made me think that the whole "defense lives here" mantra gets used more than any other phrase in regards to the men's basketball program. I just think that there are other things that the Purdue basketball program and fanbase could use for inspirational phrases and mantras. I feel like "play hard" and "defense lives here" (even if they are true) gets overused. "Offense lives here" or "winners live here" could be used just as often.

I offer my apologies. I can see that it looks like I'm being a downer (congrats to Hammons for sure) but I just saw the title and it made me think that the whole "defense lives here" mantra gets used more than any other phrase in regards to the men's basketball program. I just think that there are other things that the Purdue basketball program and fanbase could use for inspirational phrases and mantras. I feel like "play hard" and "defense lives here" (even if they are true) gets overused. "Offense lives here" or "winners live here" could be used just as often.
How about we get Brian to post a banner on the top of this board that says "Whiners Live Here"???

Great job AJH, Edwards and RD.......

Team sport for sure and glad the team as a whole helped them get some recognition.

Boiler Up and finish strong!

Reactions: yotheo
I didn't take offense at anything you said, Nags. In fact, I agree with it.

I'm thrilled Ray Day and AJ have been so honored. It's awesome the program has such a pit bull defensive identity. Having a long list of guys who have won that award has to be motivation and a model for future players.

It takes nothing away from their accomplishments to say "we still have to win the national championship."

Greatness requires setting the bar higher.

Fair enough. The big issue with what you posted is where you chose to post it, not the content. But, water under the bridge :D

I don't know, BBG. I think the big issue is that you immediately chose to take offense at what Nags wrote.

It takes nothing away from their accomplishments to say "we still have to win the national championship."

Greatness requires setting the bar higher.

Then why not start the one millionth thread whining about how your life won't be complete until "we" win a national championship? Why do it in a thread congratulating players who earned awards?

Then why not start the one millionth thread whining about how your life won't be complete until "we" win a national championship? Why do it in a thread congratulating players who earned awards?

If that's the game, then you could have quoted me saying, "I'm thrilled Ray Day and AJ have been so honored. It's awesome the program has such a pit bull defensive identity. Having a long list of guys who have won that award has to be motivation and a model for future players."

Instead, you conjured up a straw man: "whining about how your life won't be complete until 'we' win a national championship." I said nothing even remotely close to that.

I didn't start "the one millionth thread" (whining or otherwise) because I'm defending what Nags said on this thread.

And I stand by it.

Reactions: nagemj02
If that's the game, then you could have quoted me saying, "I'm thrilled Ray Day and AJ have been so honored. It's awesome the program has such a pit bull defensive identity. Having a long list of guys who have won that award has to be motivation and a model for future players."

Instead, you conjured up a straw man: "whining about how your life won't be complete until 'we' win a national championship." I said nothing even remotely close to that.

I didn't start "the one millionth thread" (whining or otherwise) because I'm defending what Nags said on this thread.

And I stand by it.
When Johnny Hill was choosing a program, he had a goal of playing in the NCAA Tournament, but when he talked to Ray, he realized that the team's goals were much higher than just making the tournament. Ray has been a tremendous leader who has been very clear that winning is the goal and the expectation. His defense has been something that he improved as a means to reach those team goals. There is nobody on this message board who is more focused on championships than Ray Davis.

The same could be said about AJ. AJ has made fantastic progress in many aspects of his game, but this thread specifically recognizes his defense.

Reactions: jimsil13 and yotheo
When Johnny Hill was choosing a program, he had a goal of playing in the NCAA Tournament, but when he talked to Ray, he realized that the team's goals were much higher than just making the tournament. Ray has been a tremendous leader who has been very clear that winning is the goal and the expectation. His defense has been something that he improved as a means to reach those team goals. There is nobody on this message board who is more focused on championships than Ray Davis.

The same could be said about AJ. AJ has made fantastic progress in many aspects of his game, but this thread specifically recognizes his defense.

In regards to AJ's improvement, I think that would be extremely attractive to an NBA owner and GM. AJ has shown clear and definable improvement from year to year while at Purdue and when he is able to focus solely on basketball, he will get even better (IMO). Being able to work fully on weight training, footwork, and his jump shot...there is no reason to believe he won't continue to improve.

If he is able to get Purdue to the Sweet 16 or Elite 8 and he does so dominating on the defensive side and scoring above his season average, his stock could go up and slide him in to a near lottery pick.

And I stand by it.
Straw man? I left your quote in my response. Your "compliment" was followed by "we still have to win the national championship." That is a direct quote, not a straw man. I assume that you know what a back-handed compliment is, because you delivered one.

Nags apologized because he understands the context of this thread. You apparently do not.

Reactions: mathboy
I offered no backhanded compliment - you (and apparently some others) inferred one.

You took what I said out of proportion to anything I intended.

You assigned it a whiny tone; something I did not do.

You fixated on one aspect of my post while ignoring the rest.

Both are part of creating a strawman criticism of both what I had to say and, by extension, of what Nags had to say.

My record of posting on this forum is available to anyone who cares to look at it. I'm neither whiny nor uncivil.

I offer you no apology. And I leave it at that.

I don't know, BBG. I think the big issue is that you immediately chose to take offense at what Nags wrote.
Didn't take offense at all. I was merely trying to point out that this thread was about AJH getting an award and people should be happy about that.

But now the thread is derailed do doesn't matter now anyway.

Reactions: BoilerDaddy
Congratulations AJH and Ray Davis! Also, Caleb Swanigan on all-Freshman team and honorable mention to Vince Edwards.

You gotta be DPOY, if you can do this:

Plus.....one thing I hadn't noticed when this first happened. Look at around 0:11, :12.....is that our "favorite" conference official trying to signal a jump ball between two Boilers? I dunno.........

Reactions: nagemj02
RayD didn't almost have a repeat performance - let's be serious.

He got owned by Hayes this past weekend...and if go back and look at the people he guarded since the knee injury, he's been torched several times. Not the same player.

He got owned by Hayes this past weekend...and if go back and look at the people he guarded since the knee injury, he's been torched several times. Not the same player.

Athletes get frustrated when injuries limit their physical skills and the better the athlete, the greater the frustration. Raphael has not allowed his injury to tunnel vision him nor is he making any injury excuses for his performance. He is still bringing the same leadership quality every day. His teammates greatly respect that because they will see him in practice every day fighting through the limitation and that effort encourages them to play harder to help their captain because they do not have the physical limitations.

images

From the story on the front page of GBI: "The AP report on the awards said Hammons 'edged out' teammate Rapheal Davis for the defensive honor."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT