ADVERTISEMENT

David Jenkins jr. PG

Maybe, just maybe Matt Pinter is a good judge of talent. AND maybe the Purdue coaches are good at getting players ready. Let’s relax and watch.
He's shown the ability to score. We will need some scoring from the guard position and he probably has the highest avg. on the team and people still question the pick up🤔. We've had decent success with guys like this. So, people need to relax.

Reactions: Bethboilerfan
He's shown the ability to score. We will need some scoring from the guard position and he probably has the highest avg. on the team and people still question the pick up🤔. We've had decent success with guys like this. So, people need to relax.
Unless I’m forgetting someone, Octeus is the only good transfer we’ve had in a long time.

So now he’s now better than a walk on? First you say you’d rather not use a scholarship at all on a fill in type player and now you are saying he’s not a scholarship type player??? Come on.
I have seen some stupid f'ing takes on this board and that one from Wolegib that we have better walkons probably takes the cake. Jenkins will be a quality player for us.

This team wasn’t good at the end of the year? Purdue was in the Big10 title game and made the sweet 16. Purdue pissed away both opportunities, no doubt. Not good? I don’t know how fans say that. Disappointing, hell yes! Not good? We definitely didn’t get out of our own way against Iowa and St Peters. If we get past St. Peter’s you never know. Blown out or somehow we give them a game. Neither would’ve shocked me.

Next year’s team will have some shortcomings but I really think has some good players. I think it’s a top 25 team and it will be expected to be a “down year.”

Everyone is excited about DGL and Colvin, as they should be. Furst and TKR will be damn good for years to come. This core could have us in the top 10 at some point. We obviously need to get some slashers, but I still like the shooters Painter is being in. I’m excited about this roster and the ones to come.
Was not good defensively...it was never good defensively, that was what i was referring to...it was never good defensively, and, lost its best defender in Hunter.

Jenkins does not make them better defensively...and, while last year's team was not good at that end, it was able to overcome it due to its offensive prowess, and, this team does not have that...and, won't.

Next year's team absolutely has shortcomings...way more than it should, frankly. It does have some good players, I agree, but, a wasted year last year for Furst and TKR unfortunately.

I like the prospects of the team a year from now, but, you are going to be relying heavily on two freshman guards...which, generally does not bode well unfortunately.

Reactions: Purdue_BS_90
Rather than whining we’re pointing out factual evidence to the homers who have blind faith! Many of those positive posters were the same ones predicting national championships and final 4 at this time last year. It’s been pointed out his defense was the worst on his team at Utah and UNLV. And for that one poster, no defense is not easy to learn! Sure, he is a warm body. But we have walkons that appear to be better choices for playing time. I didn’t think we really needed another shooter! As for freshmen, most top 10 teams are not afraid to start freshmen! They don’t need to redshirt!
Go easy there Wolly. I think there was only one poster who predicted a FF last year. He would make one-line posts and never respond to any challenges. He mysteriouly disappeared once the season started. Personally I predicted a S-16 and maybe an E-8. ...and I'm one of those optimists. Most of us started last season cauciously optimistic.

I also think we have to be careful about making snap judgements based on what 1-2 posters say. Is Jenkins really a bad defender? Maybe, maybe not. I saw one IU fan post something along this line and suddenly 4-5 other posters pick it up like its a fact.

He was playing on a bad team and may have had little defensive help. Maybe the coach of that bad team didn't know how to coach defense? Maybe Jenkins will be a better fit here with our dominance at the center position. Having a big center changes the way you can play defense. Too many factors to make such ridiculous statements about Jenkins yet.

I do agree that we will see a lot of freshmen play this year. I expect us to be a young team reflected in minutes our frshman play. That's both good and bad. We should start out rough and gain polish as the year goes on.

Go easy there Wolly. I think there was only one poster who predicted a FF last year. He would make one-line posts and never respond to any challenges. He mysteriouly disappeared once the season started. Personally I predicted a S-16 and maybe an E-8. ...and I'm one of those optimists. Most of us started last season cauciously optimistic.

I also think we have to be careful about making snap judgements based on what 1-2 posters say. Is Jenkins really a bad defender? Maybe, maybe not. I saw one IU fan post something along this line and suddenly 4-5 other posters pick it up like its a fact.

He was playing on a bad team and may have had little defensive help. Maybe the coach of that bad team didn't know how to coach defense? Maybe Jenkins will be a better fit here with our dominance at the center position. Having a big center changes the way you can play defense. Too many factors to make such ridiculous statements about Jenkins yet.

I do agree that we will see a lot of freshmen play this year. I expect us to be a young team reflected in minutes our frshman play. That's both good and bad. We should start out rough and gain polish as the year goes on.

That was me. But I ended the post by saying I think he's a good pickup for Purdue. It's late in the process and Purdue needed another guard on the roster. He can shoot and he's used to playing D1 ball at big programs. But his defense? I based that on team beat writer articles, not merely my opinion.

The Las Vegas Sun Beat writer article from when he was benched at UNLV:

“David as a fourth-year college player needs to be a guy to help get our defense set up, help anchor it, help talk, help communicate, really care that we get stops,” Otzelberger said. “I thought there was some slippage there.”

After UNR outscored UNLV 19-4 to close the second half of that game, T.J. Otzelberger held Jenkins responsible for a lot of the team’s issues on the defensive end.

In the big picture, Jenkins’ defense is a legitimate issue. His defensive rating is 106.3, according to sports-reference.com, which is the worst mark of any scholarship player. And for most of the second half it looked like Otzelberger’s gambit would work, as UNLV initially surged once Jenkins left the game.

“When we went with the other guys I felt like we had good momentum,” Otzelberger said. “I thought there was good chemistry. I thought we were able to get some more guys in the post and things like that, so we went with it and I thought until that stretch right at the end it went pretty well for us. We just came unglued late.”

And this Salt Lake Tribune beat writer article from when he was benched at Utah:

So, as things pertain to Jenkins Jr., now what?

Jenkins Jr. has been a consistent topic of postgame questioning, and it came up again Thursday night.

“He had two fouls in the first half and I really loved how we were playing,” Smith said. “He got his second foul, we took him out and I thought we had a really good mojo, good rhythm, really good timing, and the way we were guarding.

“You go to practice on a day-to-day basis and Eli makes plays. Jaxon had a minor injury last week and wasn’t quite as sharp, but he was really good in practice yesterday. He was really good, and we’re going to reward performance.”

You can read between the lines there, right?

Last edited:
That was me. But I ended the post by saying I think he's a good pickup for Purdue. It's late in the process and Purdue needed another guard on the roster. He can shoot and he's used to playing D1 ball at big programs. But his defense? I based that on team beat writer articles, not merely my opinion.

“David as a fourth-year college player needs to be a guy to help get our defense set up, help anchor it, help talk, help communicate, really care that we get stops,” Otzelberger said. “I thought there was some slippage there.”

After UNR outscored UNLV 19-4 to close the second half of that game, T.J. Otzelberger held Jenkins responsible for a lot of the team’s issues on the defensive end.

In the big picture, Jenkins’ defense is a legitimate issue. His defensive rating is 106.3, according to sports-reference.com, which is the worst mark of any scholarship player. And for most of the second half it looked like Otzelberger’s gambit would work, as UNLV initially surged once Jenkins left the game.

“When we went with the other guys I felt like we had good momentum,” Otzelberger said. “I thought there was good chemistry. I thought we were able to get some more guys in the post and things like that, so we went with it and I thought until that stretch right at the end it went pretty well for us. We just came unglued late.”

And this Salt Lake Tribune beat writer article from when he was benched at Utah:

Jenkins Jr. has been a consistent topic of postgame questioning, and it came up again Thursday night.

“He had two fouls in the first half and I really loved how we were playing,” Smith said. “He got his second foul, we took him out and I thought we had a really good mojo, good rhythm, really good timing, and the way we were guarding.

“You go to practice on a day-to-day basis and Eli makes plays. Jaxon had a minor injury last week and wasn’t quite as sharp, but he was really good in practice yesterday. He was really good, and we’re going to reward performance.”

Reading between the lines it sounds like his effort on that end of the court was inconsistent at times. I’m sure Matt has made it clear that playing hard is the expectation at Purdue for guys to get a lot of minutes (unless you’re a lottery pick, ha ha). Being on a competitive team can also make a big difference in a guy bringing consistent effort.

I am not expecting lock down defender, but he is experienced and a decent enough athlete, there is no reason he can’t be serviceable. And if he is outplayed by a freshman then he will sit.

I am not expecting lock down defender, but he is experienced and a decent enough athlete, there is no reason he can’t be serviceable. And if he is outplayed by a freshman then he will sit.
Bingo. And in the event that one of the freshman guards gets injured, now there is a capable--not perfect, but capable--player available on the roster.

Beyond this point, I think it is reasonable to add yet another transfer. At the moment we have 11 out of 13 scholarships filled. Painter has historically used 12 and left one open (not sure why, but true). No reason to think that will change this year.

Look at it any way you want. But you have no "factual evidence" for what you describe.
Actually I do! Look at what Kaufman did in high school. He was recruited because of his offensive skills! Rather than glorify some mediocre senior and say he could be a nice addition who can shoot and score, How about we give the ball to others who have factually proven they can do the same? Didn’t we also sign a Gatorade 3 point champion? How about we let him shoot instead? His factual percentage of being able to make threes is documented! And as for starting and playing freshmen over seniors, take a look around! Championship teams start and play freshmen every year over more experienced seniors! And as for facts, many of Purdue’s walk ons have proven to be better than their scholarship players! I believe it’s time our walkons we’re given a little respect! I repeat, rather than talking about how great of an addition he will be, how about talking about the young players we already have and what they can do? We always seem to hype players before they play a game for us. Is this player really any better than Newman or Kaufman? Or Loyer? And no, he’s not a pg and never was a pg!

Bingo. And in the event that one of the freshman guards gets injured, now there is a capable--not perfect, but capable--player available on the roster.

Beyond this point, I think it is reasonable to add yet another transfer. At the moment we have 11 out of 13 scholarships filled. Painter has historically used 12 and left one open (not sure why, but true). No reason to think that will change this year.
Did you just say painter typically banks a scholarship? Other posters will be all over you for suggesting that!

I have seen some stupid f'ing takes on this board and that one from Wolegib that we have better walkons probably takes the cake. Jenkins will be a quality player for us.
Obviously you have no memory of the contributions of our walkons. Some of them have had very successful high school careers! Sasha was almost a walkon but we found a scholarship for him because of a decommitment from a different prospect who decided to go elsewhere. The guy from Carmel could prove his worth. When you look at walkons you need to also consider the players we gave scholarships to because the ones we actually targeted and gave original offers to went elsewhere and we had an extra scholarship left to give. Tell me again, was Sasha one of our original prime targets or was he a player we gave a scholarship to because we found ourselves with an extra one to give? Sasha turned out to be pretty good!

Obviously you have no memory of the contributions of our walkons. Some of them have had very successful high school careers! Sasha was almost a walkon but we found a scholarship for him because of a decommitment from a different prospect who decided to go elsewhere. The guy from Carmel could prove his worth. When you look at walkons you need to also consider the players we gave scholarships to because the ones we actually targeted and gave original offers to went elsewhere and we had an extra scholarship left to give. Tell me again, was Sasha one of our original prime targets or was he a player we gave a scholarship to because we found ourselves with an extra one to give? Sasha turned out to be pretty good!
This is one of your worst takes yet. We have had one good walkon and he scored 79 points before his senior year. Our three returning walkons have a combined 10. I hope he gives our extra to Matt frost who will be our lone senior. No way he gives it to a non-senior since I believe he can’t take it back once he puts you on a scholly and we are still recruiting for 2023.

we need experienced depth at guard who can play valuable minutes and we got that from a guy who did pretty darn good in the PAC. We won’t get that from chase Martin and Carson Barrett..

as for TKR painter will play the best lineup. If it’s TKR at the 3 he will do that just like when he moved Edwards to the 3. He watches these guys practice daily and is a big ten coach because of his ability to evaluate talent. Any advice from Wolegib will not be a factor.

Help me. More than once I’ve heard CMP say if you’re a one and done Purdue is probably not the place for you. Now he brings in a grad transfer for 1 year. Is there that much of a difference? I’ve gone thru the new rankings at all the 5* PGs and not one of them has a Purdue offer. Is a”journeyman” grad transfer that much better than a 5* freshman just because he has experience??

Reactions: Wolegib
Help me. More than once I’ve heard CMP say if you’re a one and done Purdue is probably not the place for you. Now he brings in a grad transfer for 1 year. Is there that much of a difference? I’ve gone thru the new rankings at all the 5* PGs and not one of them has a Purdue offer. Is a”journeyman” grad transfer that much better than a 5* freshman just because he has experience??
One and dones typically are only in school to meet the 1 year minimum and are me-first players. They don’t fit into painters system which plays team ball.

Transfer Is different. They want to stay in school. painter just last week said he wanted someone with only 1 year eligibility. Otherwise he will be over signed.

Reactions: Schnelk
I had a different take after seeing Michigan sign a transfer from Duke. I believe we all agree this player is not a PG. so if Painter is not going to sign a transfer for a position of need, why not sign the best player available regardless of position? Add some experience and depth at center or forward. We always seem to have an abundance of shooting guards! Why not add another banger or a wing forward rather than another SG? It seems like we have plenty and enough shooting guards. And for all practical purposes that’s what this guy is!

I had a different take after seeing Michigan sign a transfer from Duke. I believe we all agree this player is not a PG. so if Painter is not going to sign a transfer for a position of need, why not sign the best player available regardless of position? Add some experience and depth at center or forward. We always seem to have an abundance of shooting guards! Why not add another banger or a wing forward rather than another SG? It seems like we have plenty and enough shooting guards. And for all practical purposes that’s what this guy is!
We have 4 scholarship guards total before we got him and 7 forwards and centers. Two of the guards true freshmen. Morton can arguably even be called a forward. Plus I don’t think we could recruit a good forward, why would they come here to sit on a deep bench vs Jenkins having a good chance to start.?

Reactions: SCBoiler1

I had forgotten that Otzelberger went to UNLV before getting the gig at Iowa State. So Jenkins followed his coach from South Dakota St to UNLV? Then left again? And again? Interesting.

I'd consider the two things to be completely different.

Actually I do! Look at what Kaufman did in high school. He was recruited because of his offensive skills! Rather than glorify some mediocre senior and say he could be a nice addition who can shoot and score, How about we give the ball to others who have factually proven they can do the same? Didn’t we also sign a Gatorade 3 point champion? How about we let him shoot instead? His factual percentage of being able to make threes is documented! And as for starting and playing freshmen over seniors, take a look around! Championship teams start and play freshmen every year over more experienced seniors! And as for facts, many of Purdue’s walk ons have proven to be better than their scholarship players! I believe it’s time our walkons we’re given a little respect! I repeat, rather than talking about how great of an addition he will be, how about talking about the young players we already have and what they can do? We always seem to hype players before they play a game for us. Is this player really any better than Newman or Kaufman? Or Loyer? And no, he’s not a pg and never was a pg!
For sure, you continue to outdo yourself with your ridiculous posts. Jenkins has averaged 15 ppg over his 4 years of college playing so far, shot 41% from 3, and 80% from the FT line. You call that mediocre? Do we currently have ANYONE on this team that plays guard or wing on this team that comes close to that? F@&$ no. We needed some scoring punch and we got that. Only Edey has scored close to 15 ppg last season.

Talking about Kaufman is ridiculous relative to Jenkins. He’s a 4 skilled man but hasn’t played a minute of college basketball that actually counts yet. I think he’s going to be excellent - but he’s unproven. Loyer is a great shooter but he is a true FR. Newman needs to pick it up and show more than he has so far. I think he will have a strong year this year. His length and defense will be very helpful.

Painter has had few walk-ons who were actually contributors. Grady Eifert is an obvious one. Beyond him, there’s almost no one he used heavily and who actually contributed. Most of the time, there’s a reason walk-ons are walk-ons and not scholarship players. (HINT: They usually are not good enough players to be on scholarship at Purdue!).

And saying that Sasha was almost a walk-on is laughable. He had other scholarship offers but held out for Painter and Purdue because he wanted to play for Painter and Purdue. It was his “dream school”. Painter had a late scholarship open up and Sasha accepted it within 2 days. Sasha was never going to be a walk-on. If Purdue didn’t come through he would have played for a smaller, mid-major type school on scholarship.

For sure, you continue to outdo yourself with your ridiculous posts. Jenkins has averaged 15 ppg over his 4 years of college playing so far, shot 41% from 3, and 80% from the FT line. You call that mediocre? Do we currently have ANYONE on this team that plays guard or wing on this team that comes close to that? F@&$ no. We needed some scoring punch and we got that. Only Edey has scored close to 15 ppg last season.

Talking about Kaufman is ridiculous relative to Jenkins. He’s a 4 skilled man but hasn’t played a minute of college basketball that actually counts yet. I think he’s going to be excellent - but he’s unproven. Loyer is a great shooter but he is a true FR. Newman needs to pick it up and show more than he has so far. I think he will have a strong year this year. His length and defense will be very helpful.

Painter has had few walk-ons who were actually contributors. Grady Eifert is an obvious one. Beyond him, there’s almost no one he used heavily and who actually contributed. Most of the time, there’s a reason walk-ons are walk-ons and not scholarship players. (HINT: They usually are not good enough players to be on scholarship at Purdue!).

And saying that Sasha was almost a walk-on is laughable. He had other scholarship offers but held out for Painter and Purdue because he wanted to play for Painter and Purdue. It was his “dream school”. Painter had a late scholarship open up and Sasha accepted it within 2 days. Sasha was never going to be a walk-on. If Purdue didn’t come through he would have played for a smaller, mid-major type school on scholarship.
You continue to ignore that Jenkins played at lower levels when he was averaging 15 ppg. The only time he's played at the P5 level he averaged 8 ppg on very poor efficiency. Half our roster would have averaged 15+ ppg at a low major.

As for your comments on Newman, it's almost laughable to say he will be very helpful defensively. He didn't play last year because he was so poor defensively. He had 101 defensive possessions last year and gave up 1.10 ppp. That's good for a "Poor" defensive rating from Synergy.

Reactions: Purdue_BS_90
You continue to ignore that Jenkins played at lower levels when he was averaging 15 ppg. The only time he's played at the P5 level he averaged 8 ppg on very poor efficiency. Half our roster would have averaged 15+ ppg at a low major.

As for your comments on Newman, it's almost laughable to say he will be very helpful defensively. He didn't play last year because he was so poor defensively. He had 101 defensive possessions last year and gave up 1.10 ppp. That's good for a "Poor" defensive rating from Synergy.
So a guy who has shut down players like Aaron Henry (NBA player) in the past can’t play defense? He’s long and causes wing players problems. Newman certainly shouldn’t guard PGs but he is more than serviceable against Wings. Newman hardly played last year so using that season for his 1.10 ppp metric is misleading at best. 101 possessions is very low for a season.

You always talk about Utah with Jenkins. Maybe there’s more to the story than you’ll admit there? Utah sucked last year (11-20) and had poor coaching and team chemistry. Jenkins was a transfer and the new HC decided he wanted to play “his recruits” - younger players. That coach decided to pack the season in and play younger guys to build for the future.

You’ve continually bashed Jenkins on these boards and I don’t get it. It’s like you have a personal animus against him.

Reactions: mathboy and delarno
So a guy who has shut down players like Aaron Henry (NBA player) in the past can’t play defense? He’s long and causes wing players problems. Newman certainly shouldn’t guard PGs but he is more than serviceable against Wings. Newman hardly played last year so using that season for his 1.10 ppp metric is misleading at best. 101 possessions is very low for a season.

You always talk about Utah with Jenkins. Maybe there’s more to the story than you’ll admit there? Utah sucked last year (11-20) and had poor coaching and team chemistry. Jenkins was a transfer and the new HC decided he wanted to play “his recruits” - younger players. That coach decided to pack the season in and play younger guys to build for the future.

You’ve continually bashed Jenkins on these boards and I don’t get it. It’s like you have a personal animus against him.
Newman has been a poor defender to this point in his career. Painter has said it. Brian has said it. Synergy’s analytics say it. You are about the only person I’ve ever seen talk him up as a defender.

Even at UNLV Jenkins shot less than 40% from the field. That’s really bad. He isn’t going to be allowed to shoot that much this year. If you are truly looking for what his numbers might look like next year, they will be closer to his Utah numbers than any of his other 3 years. There is a big difference between low major and high major as we’ve seen with other transfers over the years.

I have no personal issue with Jenkins, he’s just not the player we needed. He’s a good pickup for off guard depth, but we really needed a PG and he’s not that.

Reactions: purduepat1969
Newman has been a poor defender to this point in his career. Painter has said it. Brian has said it. Synergy’s analytics say it. You are about the only person I’ve ever seen talk him up as a defender.

Even at UNLV Jenkins shot less than 40% from the field. That’s really bad. He isn’t going to be allowed to shoot that much this year. If you are truly looking for what his numbers might look like next year, they will be closer to his Utah numbers than any of his other 3 years. There is a big difference between low major and high major as we’ve seen with other transfers over the years.

I have no personal issue with Jenkins, he’s just not the player we needed. He’s a good pickup for off guard depth, but we really needed a PG and he’s not that.
No one is saying he’s the silver bullet. He will contribute and make us a better team though. I wish I coulda married Katie Holmes but I absolutely love my wife.

Reactions: pboiler18
No one is saying he’s the silver bullet. He will contribute and make us a better team though. I wish I coulda married Katie Holmes but I absolutely love my wife.
The poster I was replying to is convinced Jenkins will be 15 ppg guy.

I agree that he will make the team marginally better. I hope Loyer beats him out for the backup 2 spot though.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT