ADVERTISEMENT

David Jenkins jr. PG

Emartin70287

Sophomore
Nov 17, 2015
I'm surprised nobody has posted this already that we landed a 5th year point guard. He looks good enough to get minutes, and shoots fairly efficiently. Not bad for a last minute pickup, and without forking over NIL money.

It's a decent pick up. I like that he brings scoring. I like that he brings a physical presence in that he's over 200 lbs. The floor will be spaced when he's out there. Obviously, he will want to prove that he belongs in the Big10 and he will D up the best he can. I'm sure he will get plenty of opportunities to score. I'm still concerned about ball handling for the projected starting line up. Overall, we needed a body and he needed a place to land. Mutually beneficial.

I think this group will really need to work hard on defense. If this group makes it a priority, I believe we can be in the top 25 all year. If this isn't a good defensive team, I think it will be a bubble team.

It's a decent pick up. I like that he brings scoring. I like that he brings a physical presence in that he's over 200 lbs. The floor will be spaced when he's out there. Obviously, he will want to prove that he belongs in the Big10 and he will D up the best he can. I'm sure he will get plenty of opportunities to score. I'm still concerned about ball handling for the projected starting line up. Overall, we needed a body and he needed a place to land. Mutually beneficial.

I think this group will really need to work hard on defense. If this group makes it a priority, I believe we can be in the top 25 all year. If this isn't a good defensive team, I think it will be a bubble team.
I did not watch any Utah games, so I admit I don't know anything about this pickup.

However, does he really bring scoring to the table? It looked like he average around 8/9 a game. Now, he might not have been called on to score much, I don't know. I guess some of the other PGs that we whiffed on (or got outbid on) were bigger scoring threats.

I think the biggest thing that we need from him is floor leadership and ball handling. We had trouble with presses last year (year before that, year before that, etc.), and we had trouble with physical guards. His body build appears that that won't be a problem being pushed around, like IT was constantly. The ball handling and floor general skills we will see here in about 4 months I guess.

Reactions: purduepat1969
Seems like a similar player to Jahaad Proctor that transferred to Purdue a few years back, but this guys shooting percentages look better. I think he may be a more efficient Jahaad Proctor type player. I like it!

Nailed it. He is not a primary ball handler. Just look at his career stats. Very few assists. Less than 1 per game last season. He is another body, and we at the very least needed that.

Apparently, this allows Morton or Braden Smith to run the point without having to guard the other team's point guard. It allows more flexibility, with Jenkins handling the 1-man with Smith guarding the 2 and Morton being able to guard the 2, 3, or 4. Jenkins can help out with bringing the ball up the court and other PG duties, without needing to do it all himself. It's a good pickup.

Painter said he’s not a Pg but will play alongside our other 3 and an article even suggested he would be on the floor with Loyer and Morton or Loyer and Smith. It was also noted he is a good perimeter defender and will take on the assignment of guarding the best defender. It sounds like our defense and offense just got better. I’m assuming Heide will play behind him. (Or Morton if he’s on the floor with smith).

Apparently, this allows Morton or Braden Smith to run the point without having to guard the other team's point guard. It allows more flexibility, with Jenkins handling the 1-man with Smith guarding the 2 and Morton being able to guard the 2, 3, or 4.
I don’t think it will be that simple. It will be matchup specific. Jenkins will guard the best perimeter player regardless of 1-3.

Reactions: jtanoos1
I did not watch any Utah games, so I admit I don't know anything about this pickup.

However, does he really bring scoring to the table? It looked like he average around 8/9 a game. Now, he might not have been called on to score much, I don't know. I guess some of the other PGs that we whiffed on (or got outbid on) were bigger scoring threats.

I think the biggest thing that we need from him is floor leadership and ball handling. We had trouble with presses last year (year before that, year before that, etc.), and we had trouble with physical guards. His body build appears that that won't be a problem being pushed around, like IT was constantly. The ball handling and floor general skills we will see here in about 4 months I guess.
I think he can be a double digit scorer for us if he's given the minutes. He averaged 8.5 in 21-22 in 19 min/game, 14.8 in in 20-12 in 29 min/game, in 18-19 he averaged 19.7 per game in 33 minutes/game, and in 17-18 he averaged 16.1 in 29 minutes per game.

The scoring has been there in all of his stops. I will say that he hasn't played in the Big10 with this kind of competition, so the numbers may be different. He seems to excel in catch and shoot situations and players at Purdue tend to get open perimeter looks. I also think that he can put it on the floor a little bit although it's probably not his bread and butter.

Obviously, defense and ball handling are going to be central parts of his role at Purdue and I am hearing those aren't necessarily his strengths. Hopefully, Painter can use him as an effective player for us and use him to get us some wins.

His defensive rating at UNLV was 108.3, 110.2 in conference. Second worst on the team.
His defensive rating at Utah was 109.8, 112.1 in conference. Worst on the team.

His defense was the reason he ended up not starting at both schools; there are post-game articles in which both the UNLV and Utah coaches all but said so.

You guys only had four guards on the roster and scholarships to burn. He's a good outside shooter and a veteran. For those reasons it's a good pickup.

Last edited:
We needed another body at guard and we got one. This was a necessary addition, but not the caliber of player we were all hoping for. He is a big step or 3 down from the guys we were after earlier in the portal. He has a large body of work to look at. When he was playing against lesser competition his numbers are really pretty good. But there is a big drop off when the competition got tougher. He lost the starting job on a Utah team that finished next to last in the Pac 12.

That said, he has a fresh start here and hopefully he can contribute and help us win.

Our 2022 guards will not be breaking anyone's ankles off the bounce or running much PnR.
This team needed another body who could at a minimum absorb some minutes, feed the post, and spread the defense as a perimeter threat. That is basically what IT did with the bonus of Jenkins being more physical. Not ideal, but better than "banking" the scholarship.

Last edited:
Well, after reading most of these responses, it sounds like we got a body. He can help with some scoring, but it sound like he is not a true PG, which is disappointing, because that is what we really needed.

Similar to last year's team, we are going to really be lacking in the floor general department, even worse since Hunter left. I hope Morton improves dramatically from last year or one of the freshmen are ready otherwise it is going to be a long year in that particular area for this year's team.

I guess what is the going rate for a good experienced PG transfer now days? I still think we are going to need that for the team after this year's team. This year obviously we got outbid on the ones we wanted, so that ship has passed.

We know what Pack got, but that was partially to drive traffic to the guy's business we were told, or is that the going rate that someone is going to have to put up to get one for the 2023-24 season?

Reactions: Bethboilerfan
How low is the bar that just getting "another body" is something to celebrate...sigh.
I wouldn't say there is "celebration" going on. I think most people see this as what it is: the addition of an serviceable player that adds depth to a position that doesn't return a ton of production or experience, with very little downside given the combination of his 1 remaining year of eligibility and the multiple scholarship openings Painter is sitting on for the coming year. He doesn't really push the team's ceiling, but he certainly seems to help to solidify the floor in my opinion.

Last edited:
I wouldn't say there is "celebration" going on. I think most people see this as what it is: the addition of an serviceable player that adds depth to a position that doesn't return a ton of production or experience, with very little downside given the combination of his 1 remaining year of eligibility and the multiple scholarship openings Painter is sitting on for the coming year. He doesn't really push the team's ceiling, but he certainly seems helps to solidify the floor in my opinion.
That's fair.

I guess what is the going rate for a good experienced PG transfer now days? I still think we are going to need that for the team after this year's team. This year obviously we got outbid on the ones we wanted, so that ship has passed.

We know what Pack got, but that was partially to drive traffic to the guy's business we were told, or is that the going rate that someone is going to have to put up to get one for the 2023-24 season?
DGL is going to be dynamic. Combining him with a seasoned sophomore Smith and a Sr with a steady hand in Morton and I think PG will be fine after this year.

I wouldn't say there is "celebration" going on. I think most people see this as what it is: the addition of an serviceable player that adds depth to a position that doesn't return a ton of production or experience, with very little downside given the combination of his 1 remaining year of eligibility and the multiple scholarship openings Painter is sitting on for the coming year. He doesn't really push the team's ceiling, but he certainly seems helps to solidify the floor in my opinion.
Very well put.

How about start a Purdue gofundme for a point guard?

• Haha
Once we got into the situation of relying on a guard from the portal we were in a bad spot, especially with the NIL situation. Order of importance was #1 recruiting a guard in the 2021 class and then #2 getting on your knees and begging Hunter to stay another year.

Reactions: Schnelk
I like many, thought we're a top 20 program and should get one of the top NILs. That said, many factors seemed to have doomed us and it didn't happen. Maybe I have fallen into the illusions of grandeur trap on my mindset. I think this is a good pickup. If he doesn't pan out, it's a one year thing. If he ends up higher than expectations then we will have some really good players coming in next year and our current freshman have a year of experience to build on. Though he's not a point guard, it still opens up some options and maybe lowers some stress . I feel Painter seems to do good with these types of teams that have that iffy feeling about them. Not saying I'm all in, but I'll still raise on the bet. Go Boilers!

Once we got into the situation of relying on a guard from the portal we were in a bad spot, especially with the NIL situation. Order of importance was #1 recruiting a guard in the 2021 class and then #2 getting on your knees and begging Hunter to stay another year.
I won't argue that it's a tough situation, and I completely understand those that are frustrated (for lack of a better word). My frame of reference was more "living in the present". Staff can't go back in time, can only go forward from where they are, which I think is essentially restating the point you made earlier.

This team was not good at that end a year ago, so, it is difficult to believe that they will be this year barring some substantial improvements...individually, and, collectively.

A decent pick-up is seemingly accurate...it is hard to believe that Purdue was not a more appealing opportunity to guys, but, they had to get someone, and, they ultimately found somebody that at least has some experience.

I am skeptical as to how good this team can/will be....his commitment helps, but, Purdue still needs help at the PG position, and, in the backcourt.

This team was not good at that end a year ago, so, it is difficult to believe that they will be this year barring some substantial improvements...individually, and, collectively.

A decent pick-up is seemingly accurate...it is hard to believe that Purdue was not a more appealing opportunity to guys, but, they had to get someone, and, they ultimately found somebody that at least has some experience.

I am skeptical as to how good this team can/will be....his commitment helps, but, Purdue still needs help at the PG position, and, in the backcourt.
This team wasn’t good at the end of the year? Purdue was in the Big10 title game and made the sweet 16. Purdue pissed away both opportunities, no doubt. Not good? I don’t know how fans say that. Disappointing, hell yes! Not good? We definitely didn’t get out of our own way against Iowa and St Peters. If we get past St. Peter’s you never know. Blown out or somehow we give them a game. Neither would’ve shocked me.

Next year’s team will have some shortcomings but I really think has some good players. I think it’s a top 25 team and it will be expected to be a “down year.”

Everyone is excited about DGL and Colvin, as they should be. Furst and TKR will be damn good for years to come. This core could have us in the top 10 at some point. We obviously need to get some slashers, but I still like the shooters Painter is being in. I’m excited about this roster and the ones to come.

Painter said he’s not a Pg but will play alongside our other 3 and an article even suggested he would be on the floor with Loyer and Morton or Loyer and Smith. It was also noted he is a good perimeter defender and will take on the assignment of guarding the best defender. It sounds like our defense and offense just got better. I’m assuming Heide will play behind him. (Or Morton if he’s on the floor with smith).
He’s a poor defender. Good shooter, but poor defender.

Man. Y’all are some whiney bitches.
Rather than whining we’re pointing out factual evidence to the homers who have blind faith! Many of those positive posters were the same ones predicting national championships and final 4 at this time last year. It’s been pointed out his defense was the worst on his team at Utah and UNLV. And for that one poster, no defense is not easy to learn! Sure, he is a warm body. But we have walkons that appear to be better choices for playing time. I didn’t think we really needed another shooter! As for freshmen, most top 10 teams are not afraid to start freshmen! They don’t need to redshirt!

Rather than looking at Jenkins as a scoring threat, we should be looking at Kaufman to start at the 3 and provide points!

Reactions: mathboy
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT