ADVERTISEMENT

Darrel Hazel's last recruiting classes - Decline?

TMA62

Junior
Nov 3, 2001
I believe that the current seniors and some juniors are DH2's last recruiting classes. How did those classes rank nationally? Was the quality of these recruiting classes getting worse compared to DH2's earlier classes?

While there have been some good players in these classes, overall I heard that these classes were not Big Ten caliber. I think this is also a contributing factor to this season in addition to key injuries and poor Offensive Line development.

Thoughts?

I believe that the current seniors and some juniors are DH2's last recruiting classes. How did those classes rank nationally? Was the quality of these recruiting classes getting worse compared to DH2's earlier classes?

While there have been some good players in these classes, overall I heard that these classes were not Big Ten caliber. I think this is also a contributing factor to this season in addition to key injuries and poor Offensive Line development.

Thoughts?
The classes were terrible from DH start to finish. Ill go from 2010 to 2020 recruiting class ranks nationally.
2010-54
2011-93
2012-33(two four star recruits that did nothing for Purdue)
2013-56
2014-71
2015-68
2016-73
2017-68
2018-49(rondale Moore in this class)
2019-26
2020-26

So Id say we are trending wayy up Purdue doesn't get classes that are 26th in the country just hard to be patient while we get this talent turnover. These other teams don't have this problem.

For perspective the last two Hazel classes had recruits with an average star rating of 2.46(2015) which was 68th best and an incredibly bad 2.17(2016) which was good for a tie as the 85th highest. Both classes were poor but that 2016 class wasn't even good for a MAC or other lower level conference. A few of those recruits turned out to be solid contributors, or even good but overall the classes were "train" wrecks(pardon the pun).

Hazell brought in a few good recruits his first couple of years, but his overall classes were bad. And he had a very bad tendency to over recruit at particular positions so some very good players would never play. Hazell loved Dbs, RBs and Qbs. He was terrible at recruiting offensive linemen and receivers who could catch a ball.

Something to think about. Before being fired, his last class was very close if not lower in ranking to Brohm’s WKU class. And no way should any BIG 10 team have a recruiting class on par with a team like WKU. You could say Brohm had better success at recruiting at WKU than Hazell did at Purdue.

Tiller wasn’t a tremendous recruiter, but he had guys like Brees who could cover for his deficiencies!

Hazell brought in a few good recruits his first couple of years, but his overall classes were bad. And he had a very bad tendency to over recruit at particular positions so some very good players would never play. Hazell loved Dbs, RBs and Qbs. He was terrible at recruiting offensive linemen and receivers who could catch a ball.

Something to think about. Before being fired, his last class was very close if not lower in ranking to Brohm’s WKU class. And no way should any BIG 10 team have a recruiting class on par with a team like WKU. You could say Brohm had better success at recruiting at WKU than Hazell did at Purdue.

Tiller wasn’t a tremendous recruiter, but he had guys like Brees who could cover for his deficiencies!
WAT.jpg

I think that Jim Colletto was one of the best recruiting coaches Purdue ever had. He had a great eye for talent and recruited players like Mike Alstott and Roosvelt Colvin away from bigger programs. He is the reason why Tiller had instant success at his first year at Purdue. Tiller essentially had a future all-NFL offensive line with work with.

Reactions: pb1941
I think that Jim Colletto was one of the best recruiting coaches Purdue ever had. He had a great eye for talent and recruited players like Mike Alstott and Roosvelt Colvin away from bigger programs. He is the reason why Tiller had instant success at his first year at Purdue. Tiller essentially had a future all-NFL offensive line with work with.

Colletto had as big a mess to clean up as Brohm has had. Akers left a dumpster fire behind and colletto had to rebuild it. Never could capitalize on his recruiting though. He tried to beat the big boys at their own game and it was a massive failure.

Reactions: Boiler8285
Dafuq are you talking about. That is erroneous in several ways.

I believe it’s spot on! Tiller’s success on the field far exceeded his recruiting ability! And having a good QB can hide a lot of glaring deficiencies. The Packers have had some really bad drafts, but having Rogers and Favre covered up a lot of their mistakes and made their coach and GM look good! The Bears have a much better team, but find a way to lose!

Having Moore, Blough and Sindelar, Purdue was able to pull out some victories when our talent was less than our opponents.

in the end, a star qb can make miracle plays and pull a victory from defeat and you don’t notice the glaring holes and recruiting deficiencies as much. If we had a great offensive line, our WRs, RBs and Qb would look even better than what they are! Think about it, when recruited, Purdue recruited a much higher rated wr, qb and rb than UW did. Is never signs a lot of elite skill position players. However, they win a lot of games. The same is true of Iowa.

so what am I saying? I’m saying our QBs of the past made people overlook how bad our teams actually were! Blough took a MAC level team and somehow got 6 wins last year. Sindelar did the same. Brees and Orten both pulled out some wins. And the classic example is that Favre and Rogers pulled out so many miracle victories that people forgot how bad their supporting cast actually was.

recruiting elite players does make a difference. But sometimes one player can elevate a team to a higher level than their talent level would suggest. Look at Purdue’s basketball team last year! Grady took that team on his back to an elite 8, right? Or was it another player that made you forget that their talent level wasn’t that great but they won anyway.

I believe it’s spot on! Tiller’s success on the field far exceeded his recruiting ability! And having a good QB can hide a lot of glaring deficiencies. The Packers have had some really bad drafts, but having Rogers and Favre covered up a lot of their mistakes and made their coach and GM look good! The Bears have a much better team, but find a way to lose!

Having Moore, Blough and Sindelar, Purdue was able to pull out some victories when our talent was less than our opponents.

in the end, a star qb can make miracle plays and pull a victory from defeat and you don’t notice the glaring holes and recruiting deficiencies as much. If we had a great offensive line, our WRs, RBs and Qb would look even better than what they are! Think about it, when recruited, Purdue recruited a much higher rated wr, qb and rb than UW did. Is never signs a lot of elite skill position players. However, they win a lot of games. The same is true of Iowa.

so what am I saying? I’m saying our QBs of the past made people overlook how bad our teams actually were! Blough took a MAC level team and somehow got 6 wins last year. Sindelar did the same. Brees and Orten both pulled out some wins. And the classic example is that Favre and Rogers pulled out so many miracle victories that people forgot how bad their supporting cast actually was.

recruiting elite players does make a difference. But sometimes one player can elevate a team to a higher level than their talent level would suggest. Look at Purdue’s basketball team last year! Grady took that team on his back to an elite 8, right? Or was it another player that made you forget that their talent level wasn’t that great but they won anyway.
Did you actually look up his recruiting classes, or just making up facts?

Did you actually look up his recruiting classes, or just making up facts?
Actually I did do some research. How many top 25 recruiting classes did Tiller have? Research says 1. How many top 25 teams did Tiller Have? A lot more! So clearly his teams over achieved their talent level. Having a guy like Breese can help hide glaring recruiting deficiencies!

and as for recruiting ratings, the rating is flawed. It just multiplies numbers. A coach could recruit 6 five star receivers, 6 five star running backs, 4 five star quarterbacks, and 6 five star defensive backs. And based on the formulas used, that would be a top 5 class.

I bring that up because that is what both Brohm and Hazell have done. Brohm has skewed his overall rating with all of his elite wr and dbs he has recruited. Are they all going to play? Hazell did the same with RBs and DBs. Signing guys like Alstott actually brought Hazell’s recruiting class stats higher. Did he ever plan to actually play him? No. It was the same with several of the other players Hazell signed.

as I look at Brohm, he’s a great recruiter. But how many 4 star receivers do you really need? Their recruitment sure helped our class rating, but that rating is just made out of numbers. While the overall class rating was great, the class did not address all of our glaring needs at lb, and the trenches. And Brohm admitted it and is now recruiting more linemen.

recruiting in college is much like the pros. If you have Brady at QB, do you really need to recruit another 5 star qb? Wouldn’t that scholarship be better used at a different position? And looking back, our problems today can be identified by our recruiting class that was 23-25 people a few years back that only included 1 offensive lineman, and he was an afterthought. No matter what your rating is, a good recruiting class is one that fills all of your needs rather than stockpiling at one position!

I’m a huge Taylor fan. After signing him, I wondered why Brohm recruited so many WRs last year? I’ve never been a fan of over recruiting at one position because that players have talent. You can only play 2-3 WRs at a time!

Actually I did do some research. How many top 25 recruiting classes did Tiller have? Research says 1. How many top 25 teams did Tiller Have? A lot more! So clearly his teams over achieved their talent level. Having a guy like Breese can help hide glaring recruiting deficiencies!

and as for recruiting ratings, the rating is flawed. It just multiplies numbers. A coach could recruit 6 five star receivers, 6 five star running backs, 4 five star quarterbacks, and 6 five star defensive backs. And based on the formulas used, that would be a top 5 class.

I bring that up because that is what both Brohm and Hazell have done. Brohm has skewed his overall rating with all of his elite wr and dbs he has recruited. Are they all going to play? Hazell did the same with RBs and DBs. Signing guys like Alstott actually brought Hazell’s recruiting class stats higher. Did he ever plan to actually play him? No. It was the same with several of the other players Hazell signed.

as I look at Brohm, he’s a great recruiter. But how many 4 star receivers do you really need? Their recruitment sure helped our class rating, but that rating is just made out of numbers. While the overall class rating was great, the class did not address all of our glaring needs at lb, and the trenches. And Brohm admitted it and is now recruiting more linemen.

recruiting in college is much like the pros. If you have Brady at QB, do you really need to recruit another 5 star qb? Wouldn’t that scholarship be better used at a different position? And looking back, our problems today can be identified by our recruiting class that was 23-25 people a few years back that only included 1 offensive lineman, and he was an afterthought. No matter what your rating is, a good recruiting class is one that fills all of your needs rather than stockpiling at one position!

I’m a huge Taylor fan. After signing him, I wondered why Brohm recruited so many WRs last year? I’ve never been a fan of over recruiting at one position because that players have talent. You can only play 2-3 WRs at a time!
Did you look up the classes from before 2003?

Dude are you kidding me?? Forget stars and ratings. Go look at the offers that Brohm recruits have. Almost all have multiple , multiple other power 5 offers. Many have been Offered by big time programs. Can’t even compare the two. Saying rankings skewed by WR is wrong. 2 - 4 star DL signees last year for one and another coming in next year. Even a couple of the OL recruits had big time offers. And the majority of Brohm’s recruits are at least high 3 star recruits. Ratings are subjective. Offers from schools aren’t. Hazel spent most of his time trying to keep MAC schools from poaching his recruits. I’ll give him credit tho. It took great effort to be as bad a coach and recruiter that he was. Swear guy must of worked like 10 hours a week. LOL

How did Griffin Alstott elevate the 2017 class ratings when his rating was LOWER than the class average? Hell, how did "signing guys like Alstott " even happen under Hazell, since he was fired well before Griffin signed? Guess you missed that in your "research ". Maybe you should try to answer Nat's question - might enlighten you a bit. Until then we'll just have to assume that you're about as clueless as Stevie Wonder trying to find his way out of a doorknob factory (at night).

By the way, it's spelled "Brees" not "Breese". I'd hope that a Purdue fan would know that.

If you had the next Tom Brady, he would still graduate in 4 years.

All programs need to reload and build depth across the board, regardless of current starter quality. That much should be apparent given injuries across all position groups this year.

Reactions: Inspector100

Wow oh Wow. First Tiller NEVER had a top 25 recruiting class. 2003 (I believe) was what he called his best ever and it was ranked 27. Second are you questioning getting more 4 star recruits because we already have enough??? That's just plain dumb. Sorry. Tell that concept to OSU and Alabama for starters.

Wow oh Wow. First Tiller NEVER had a top 25 recruiting class. 2003 (I believe) was what he called his best ever and it was ranked 27. Second are you questioning getting more 4 star recruits because we already have enough??? That's just plain dumb. Sorry. Tell that concept to OSU and Alabama for starters.

Sorry but one service ranked Tiler’s second class 11th...

Reactions: TheGunner

2004 was 20th per rivals

Reactions: TheGunner
Plus, regardless of class rankings, Tiller pulled in some amazing recruits at other positions. He recruited multiple solid NFL defensive players. There's a reason we started calling ourselves the "Den of Defensive Ends" while Tiller was here.

And while some of his receivers didn't pan out in the NFL, Bryant, Stanford, Stubblefield and others were great in our system.

Tiller coasted on recruiting his last few years...
Tiller spent years recruiting with both hands tied behind his back by the administration. He was trying to recruit players from Texas that had better facilities at their high school.

Tiller coasted on recruiting his last few years...
Tiller coasted because he didn't the resources necessary after he proved he could build a winner in 2003 and 2004. Had Tiller had the backing that Brohm is getting now, no doubt Tiller gets Purdue to multiple NYD bowls from 2003 to 2008 and at least another B1G title or two. It was literally the same issue that Carolyn Peck had with the AD after she won a natty. She didn't get the support she felt she needed nor did she get any where near the raise she should have gotten. It's one of the reasons she walked.

Tiller coasted because he didn't the resources necessary after he proved he could build a winner in 2003 and 2004. Had Tiller had the backing that Brohm is getting now, no doubt Tiller gets Purdue to multiple NYD bowls from 2003 to 2008 and at least another B1G title or two. It was literally the same issue that Carolyn Peck had with the AD after she won a natty. She didn't get the support she felt she needed nor did she get any where near the raise she should have gotten. It's one of the reasons she walked.
That and the airport losing commercial flights didnt help.

I loved the Tiller era, but Joe Tiller was his own worst enemy when it came to recruiting.

Quite a few years ago I did a study on attrition. It was incredible. Tiller would bring in players that had ALL KINDS of promise... but would never see the field (or didn't stick past a year or so).

When people mention that Brohm’s recruits are only sophomores, a huge elephant in the room is that he did better with a roster full of Hazell recruits than he is now that some of his recruits are in the mix. Not what you want to see, and a possible indicator that the burst of energy he brought to the program is wearing off.

It doesn’t help that he seems to flirt with other jobs every offseason.

Last edited:
Reactions: Boiler8285
I distinctly remember Tiller discussing that on his radio show right after the rule was passed, and being alarmed at how much he thought it would hurt Purdue’s recruiting. And it did. Or course Morgue refusing to pay his assistants didn’t help either.

When people mention that Brohm’s recruits are only sophomores, a huge elephant in the room is that he did better with a roster full of Hazell recruits is than he is now that some of his recruits are in the mix. Not what you want to see, and a possible indicator that the burst of energy he brought to the program is wearing off.

He had to plug a lot of holes in the roster with grad transfers the first 2 years. Having blough helped quite a bit

he is missing his 2 best players on offense and defense and is young across the board. With the injuries sustained, the results aren’t shocking

When people mention that Brohm’s recruits are only sophomores, a huge elephant in the room is that he did better with a roster full of Hazell recruits is than he is now that some of his recruits are in the mix. Not what you want to see, and a possible indicator that the burst of energy he brought to the program is wearing off.

Flirt with other jobs? Not close to accurate.Never interviewed with Tennessee(that was a rumor started by a radio announcer down there who was ultimately discredited). Turned down his alma mater.

Saw a report recently(either J&C or Lafayette TV station) that mentioned the possibility of a return of commercial service to the airport. Apparently has a lot to do with recent rapid growth in development around Purdue.

The thing that hurt Tiller the most was loosing all the great coaches that were on his staff in the beginning. There are reasons listed above that lead to that, but those were not the only reasons. It was inevitable that the Tiller program would fall off as it did.

Tiller could be credited with bringing an exciting brand of offense to the B1G. The thing that hurt him was when the rest of the league caught up to him, they began running his style of offense themselves.

Tiller could be credited with bringing an exciting brand of offense to the B1G. The thing that hurt him was when the rest of the league caught up to him, they began running his style of offense themselves.

I don't fully agree with that. Some of the B10 teams continued to do what they do. Some tried to pickup a few things, but I don't believe any tried to fully switch to the Tiller system. To me the biggest impact of Purdue's fall off had to do with Purdue itself. Coaches leaving for Nebraska, coaches leaving for the NFL, downgrading recruiting budgets, etc. And Joe was never able to replace those great coaches with people that grew into the position to the level of their predecessor.

When people mention that Brohm’s recruits are only sophomores, a huge elephant in the room is that he did better with a roster full of Hazell recruits than he is now that some of his recruits are in the mix. Not what you want to see, and a possible indicator that the burst of energy he brought to the program is wearing off.

For one, his recruits are freshmen and sophomores and are the best players on the team right now. Yes, he had a better record first two years but had older players and grad transfers. He also didn’t deal with injuries to his best players like this year. And Rondale Moore, his recruit who is injured by the way, was probably the biggest reason for last years excitement.
As for flirting with Louisville, who doesn’t listen to their alma mater and hometown team?

Reactions: Inspector100
I don't fully agree with that. Some of the B10 teams continued to do what they do. Some tried to pickup a few things, but I don't believe any tried to fully switch to the Tiller system. To me the biggest impact of Purdue's fall off had to do with Purdue itself. Coaches leaving for Nebraska, coaches leaving for the NFL, downgrading recruiting budgets, etc. And Joe was never able to replace those great coaches with people that grew into the position to the level of their predecessor.
Teams figured out you could jam purdue WRs at the line and throw the timing of the patterns off.

I loved the Tiller era, but Joe Tiller was his own worst enemy when it came to recruiting.

Quite a few years ago I did a study on attrition. It was incredible. Tiller would bring in players that had ALL KINDS of promise... but would never see the field (or didn't stick past a year or so).
The other curious thing about Tiller's recruiting was how nearly all of his 4* recruits ended up being busts. It was truly amazing. Always made me wonder if there was some unintended consequence of a recruiting pitch or strategy that drew the less competitive 4* guys to Purdue, such as "just show up and be the big man on campus". Garret Bushong comes to mind..

The other curious thing about Tiller's recruiting was how nearly all of his 4* recruits ended up being busts. It was truly amazing. Always made me wonder if there was some unintended consequence of a recruiting pitch or strategy that drew the less competitive 4* guys to Purdue, such as "just show up and be the big man on campus". Garret Bushong comes to mind..
A lot of the 4 stars fell to purdue for a reason.

There were several that worked out:

Stu
Baker
Orton
Edwards
Bryant

Reactions: Purdue85
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT