ADVERTISEMENT

Darrel Hazel's last recruiting classes - Decline?

When people mention that Brohm’s recruits are only sophomores, a huge elephant in the room is that he did better with a roster full of Hazell recruits than he is now that some of his recruits are in the mix. Not what you want to see, and a possible indicator that the burst of energy he brought to the program is wearing off.

It doesn’t help that he seems to flirt with other jobs every offseason.

I disagree. Brohm was successful with Hazell’s better recruits and Brohms patchwork grout (see grad transfers) to shore up Hazell’s deficiencies. Now Brohm is stuck with Hazell’s worst classes in their 4th and 5th years, and being forced to play his younger recruits. Hazell also had an impact in Brohms first class (ranked 68) because Brohm didn’t have enough to effectively recruit.

In two years, Hazell's recruiting (or lack thereof) will be an after thought

Also, if the “burst of energy” is wearing off, why is our recruiting class for 2020 ranked in the top 25 and will more than likely finish in the top 30. Seems to me that everyone, including recruits, is writing this season as an injury-filled outlier for a typical bowl bound coach.

Keep spinning

Last edited:
And why do you think that happened? Maybe some quality coaching would have beat that strategy.

That really is what happened. Quality coaching leveled the playing field, reducing (but not eliminating) the effectiveness of the spread.

Coaches began recruiting more DBs, and the type of DBs that could neutralize the advantage of a 5 WR set.

Coaches began pulling the standard LB package, and replacing those LBs with DBs that could better defend the run and the pass.

Coaches taught their DBs how to blow up the bubble screen, reducing effectiveness.

I could go on. The spread really did revolutionize CFB, and is used by many programs. Even traditionally run-heavy programs (like PSU) installed variations of it. But coaches also found ways to defend it.

I disagree. Brohm was successful with Hazell’s better recruits and Brohms patchwork grout (see grad transfers) to shore up Hazell’s deficiencies. Now Brohm is stuck with Hazell’s worst classes in their 4th and 5th years, and being forced to play his younger recruits. Hazell also had an impact in Brohms first class (ranked 68) because Brohm didn’t have enough to effectively recruit.

In two years, Hazell's recruiting (or lack thereof) will be an after thought

Also, if the “burst of energy” is wearing off, why is our recruiting class for 2020 ranked in the top 25 and will more than likely finish in the top 30. Seems to me the everyone, including recruits, are writing this season as an injury-filled outlier for a typical bowl bound coach.

Keep spinning
Very nicely put

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT