ADVERTISEMENT

Dane Fife out at IU

I always assumed he was brought in to be HC after Woodson. Guess not!
that’s pretty shocking. I think he would have been coach at MSU when Izzo leaves. i would have thought same thing at IU, since he left MSU. He’ll probably end up disgruntled the rest of his life like Dakich.

that’s pretty shocking. I think he would have been coach at MSU when Izzo leaves. i would have thought same thing at IU, since he left MSU. He’ll probably end up disgruntled the rest of his life like Dakich.
He was a better player and coach than Dak but seemed low on the happy meter. I lived in his hometown of Clarkston Might for over 10 years until moving 4 years ago. During that time his dad won the state basketball championship. Don’t know him personally but this has to be a big blow to him and his family

• Sad
Reactions: Bethboilerfan
He was a better player and coach than Dak but seemed low on the happy meter. I lived in his hometown of Clarkston Might for over 10 years until moving 4 years ago. During that time his dad won the state basketball championship. Don’t know him personally but this has to be a big blow to him and his family
Right, I bet he is close to the Loyers.

Reactions: Bethboilerfan
I am not so sure my IU friends confidence in Woodson is well placed. I still think he has a steep learning curve when it comes to roster management in the college game. He needs two more players beyond Lander to leave just to free up enough scholarships for his incoming, guard heavy recruiting class. Meanwhile he might lose his starting front court to the pros, transfer or retirement. Several of the players he likely wants to runoff are IU diehards who won't want to transfer out or have already used their one time transfer. I thought Fife was going to be a key part of helping him solution that but I guess not. Woodson can only fail to develop top talent so many times before the NBA aura will fade. Showing no loyalty to players or assistants may not hurt you in the pros but I think will comeback to bite him in the end at the college level. Maybe he just didn't like having the heir apparent sitting next to him in case things go down hill in the next few seasons. He is in his 60s so why make succession planning to easy on the AD.

Reactions: TX4GB
I am not so sure my IU friends confidence in Woodson is well placed. I still think he has a steep learning curve when it comes to roster management in the college game. He needs two more players beyond Lander to leave just to free up enough scholarships for his incoming, guard heavy recruiting class. Meanwhile he might lose his starting front court to the pros, transfer or retirement. Several of the players he likely wants to runoff are IU diehards who won't want to transfer out or have already used their one time transfer. I thought Fife was going to be a key part of helping him solution that but I guess not. Woodson can only fail to develop top talent so many times before the NBA aura will fade. Showing no loyalty to players or assistants may not hurt you in the pros but I think will comeback to bite him in the end at the college level. Maybe he just didn't like having the heir apparent sitting next to him in case things go down hill in the next few seasons. He is in his 60s so why make succession planning to easy on the AD.
I thought Leal might leave but he sounds pumped about coming back next year from his recent tweet.

I wonder how much Matta was involved?

Reactions: ChuckJr
Remember...IU is Fife's school.
Remember, this is the same athletic department that fielded the only football team to not win a Big 10 game last Fall after beginning the season in the Top 20, while spreading the fake LEO Love, who did nothing to honor the 40 year PA guy when he left, who have let the basketball program fall so far that there are routinely 5,000-6,000 empty seats at Mall Hall, and that’s running a $25 million deficit while paying off their former coach. Crapping on a coach and celebrated alumnus is perfectly in character for them. I’m sure all of their insiders are baffled by this turn of events! Lol

Reading the reaction on PEEGS. They're already turning the narrative into one where Fife was bumbling and insubordinate. Funny how he lasted at MSU 10 years. but now he's an incompetent assistant under Woodson.

My guess is Woodson felt threatened by him, in that if he starts to falter over the next 12 to 24 months, fans and boosters would be calling for Fife to replace him...

Like all of the IU coaches beginning with RMK.

Reactions: *4purdue*
Reading the reaction on PEEGS. They're already turning the narrative into one where Fife was bumbling and insubordinate. Funny how he lasted at MSU 10 years. but now he's an incompetent assistant under Woodson.

My guess is Woodson felt threatened by him, in that if he starts to falter over the next 12 to 24 months, fans and boosters would be calling for Fife to replace him...
They all cheered when he was hired and used him as justification for hiring a coach with no college experience.

I always assumed he was brought in to be HC after Woodson. Guess not!
I stopped by the IU board to get their take on recent events. Rumors are that Matta is the next domino.

"Matta to Butler shouldn't shock anyone. This position was created for Matta to get some administrative experience before taking over for Collier in the next few years as he retires. Been the rumor since he was hired." -- Coach Geez

Sad state of affairs when the fans believe that IU has been paying tons of cash to groom their coaches to take over for rival programs. Pure genius. How has that been working out for IU and the programs that have taken their coaches?

I stopped by the IU board to get their take on recent events. Rumors are that Matta is the next domino.

"Matta to Butler shouldn't shock anyone. This position was created for Matta to get some administrative experience before taking over for Collier in the next few years as he retires. Been the rumor since he was hired." -- Coach Geez

Sad state of affairs when the fans believe that IU has been paying tons of cash to groom their coaches to take over for rival programs. Pure genius. How has that been working out for IU and the programs that have taken their coaches?
Can you really believe anything posted by Coach Geez?

Believe only what you can in regards to Geez. He sure talks a lot.

IU created a well-paying athletic administrative position as a training vehicle to prepare Thad Matta to become Butler’s next AD? Such generosity extended from one seat of higher learning to another! It’s really no different than hiring Kelvin Sampson to prep him for Houston, Tom Crean to train him for the rigors of UGA, and Archie Miller so he could adequately ready himself for URI. Magnanimous to a fault, those Indinian’s!

They also hired Fife from MSU when he was on his way out the door, according to some.

It’s no wonder IU has sucked for so long. They have been ignoring their own program while trying to build up others. Such a nice gesture on their part.

To be honest though, IU from MSU was hardly a lateral move for Fife. Even as an alum that job was a step down or four.

Woodson apparently didn't get the memo that Spring Creaning doesn't extend to coaches.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT