ADVERTISEMENT

Dan Dakich

I heard Dakich occasionally on the radio years ago, his shtick got old quickly. Have never heard one of his podcasts and I don't know anything about podcast ratings, but a quick google of his ratings seem to put him in a mediocre ratings category.

I suppose that puts him at the top of his game, pretty much like all his other ventures.

I have to admit that I’ve been really disappointed in this recent turn of events. I listened to his show whenever CMP was on (pretty regularly) in the past and it was always great. Matt’s basketball insights were always great and they were entertaining too. His interview after Eastern and Haarms transferred was really good. Dakich also was very supportive during both Tyler Trent and Larry Clisby’s battles with cancer. On the day of the IU/Purdue game he’d usually have Gene Keady and past players from both schools (Cardinal and Hummel for example) and it was good natured. He even commented during their Elite 8 run how jealous he was that Keady was still involved and around the program with his old players. Then, this year on game day, it was different. It was all IU and since that game his show and his Twitter have been very anti-Purdue and particularly mean spirited towards Purdue fans. I guess maybe the 9 losses in a row and knowing what’s coming in Mackey in a couple of weeks finally cracked him. It’s very odd though how he’s made a complete 180.
He’s turning into a pundit, no different than a CNN or Fox newsperson playing to an audience. It’s a shame, he was a good analyst for many years, now he’s looking for ratings.

From Aesop.

One day as the Lion walked proudly down a forest aisle, and the animals respectfully made way for him, an Ass named Dakich brayed a scornful remark as he passed.

The Lion felt a flash of anger. But when he turned his head and saw who had spoken, he walked quietly on. He would not honor the fool with even so much as a stroke of his claws.

Similar sentiments from me. Plus, as a Region Rat/Gary native myself, I enjoyed his edge. In hindsight, I think he was using Purdue to undermine Glass and Crean/Archie because they were not part of the RMK lineage. He used his place in the media to turn the fanbase against them. Praising Purdue and Coach Painter served that purpose. Now that Dolson and Woodson are in place, he is doing whatever he can to help them succeed. He presumably believes using his place in the media to try to undermine Purdue serves that purpose.
You’re giving him way too much credit for thinking that far ahead. You make him seem like he’s playing 4D chess when he can’t even spell the word.

Did anyone else than the OP hear Dan actually make these remarks? Dakich has always expressed sincere respect for Matt Painter and the way he runs his program. Reading what the OP posted, who has posted questionable stuff before, makes me scratch my head. I begin to wonder if we are getting played a little here.

:cool:

Did anyone else than the OP hear Dan actually make these remarks? Dakich has always expressed sincere respect for Matt Painter and the way he runs his program. Reading what the OP posted, who has posted questionable stuff before, makes me scratch my head. I begin to wonder if we are getting played a little here.

I have. This season, he has shown his true colors. Very dismissive of Purdue basketball and Purdue fans, with plenty of backhanded compliments.

I have. This season, he has shown his true colors. Very dismissive of Purdue basketball and Purdue fans, with plenty of backhanded compliments.
Seems strange since he is not on the national stage. Why tick off the fans in state on your local radio show?

Reactions: pboiler18
I heard Dakich occasionally on the radio years ago, his shtick got old quickly. Have never heard one of his podcasts and I don't know anything about podcast ratings, but a quick google of his ratings seem to put him in a mediocre ratings category.

I suppose that puts him at the top of his game, pretty much like all his other ventures.
Trying to guess his motives is a waste of time. He's has acknowledged his mental health problems. He talks crazy one day and calmly the next. He reverses positions so often he must get whiplash. He's a kook and shouldn't be analyzed logucally.

I don't know if any of you still listen to Dakich on Outkick or 1070 the Fan, and I am not sure why I have been , other that driving and nothing else to do.

I used to think he was a fan of Purdue's basketball program and Matt and Gene. Now especially after the last few days , I don't believe so.

He has commented or had stories of the following lately:
-the best scouting job Bob Knight ever did was for Duke preparing them and Coach K to beat Purdue and Big Dog in the Elite 8 game.
-says he likes Gene and respects Matt, but doesn't really need them on his show as he can have any former IU player on the show and his ratings are much better than with Matt or Gene, says there is NO"ratings bump" when he has Matt on his show
-said Purdue will fall down(his story is, he likens it to Lucy pulling the football from Charlie Brown)this year again in NCAAs. He says winning Big 10 titles mean nothing, only what you(Purdue especiallly) do in NCAAs matter.
-laughs at Purdue fans , calls them fanboys, who talk of IU basketball problems, and say their thoughts are irrelevant, as they are only Purdue fans and they don't understand what winning is or what a winning culture is.
-says GRob would have come to Purdue as Dan had connections to him, but Knight did not want him
-he says Ivey should be first player taken next year in NBA draft, but believe he is doing so, so if we "fail" he can use that against us, per we underachieved again
-has told the story numerous times of being hit with coins, while playing against Purdue at Purdue
-says Purdue fans, always have the view that something bad is going to happen to Purdue and everyone and thing is against them(probably agree with this to some extent)
-said if IU wants a recruit, there is no way Purdue can get him, but blames Crean and Miller for not going after best talent
-said Purdue will always be #2 or #3 program in the state
-said most people outside Indiana do not even know Purdue is in Indiana
-said ESPN considered Purdue a second level program, did now draw ratings

There is many more stories about Purdue out of his mouth. I think his distaste for Purdue has been hidden in the past , but now coming more to forefront, as IU's miseries have continued, especially after he went on and on about Woody solving all their problems.

Rob Blackmon still comes on his show every so often to talk Purdue(hope he stops). Matt and Gene used to be on regularly, have not been lately. Matt had some classic interviews with him in past. Maybe they grew tired of his mouth. I hope they all boycott him and I will not listen anymore and I hope more and more Purdue fans turn him off. I used to enjoy him talk CBB, but grown tired of this new anti-PU BS.

Maybe I overreact , had not listened to him for a while, but hearing him the last week has me POed.

I get tired of his mouth. There are people, yes even Purdue fans that think he is great and I just don't see it. For one, if you think he has brains and knows everything, he had IU a top ten team last season. I can't tell you all the times I have listened to him and he's been wrong on something. I think some like him because he says what he feels without being scared, but he is ALSO a FULL BLOWN FOOL at times! I stopped listening to him when he got in trouble last year.

He’s not wrong. I live in Colorado and nobody knows what a Purdue is. We’ve never accomplished anything on a national sporting stage and the only folks I talk to who have an opinion on us are guys that have hired engineers. I got more feedback during the whole Purdue Pharma opioid case than anything before or after.
We’re an afterthought with a fanbase that’s a mere fraction of our alumni. You folks in Indinia need to get out more.

Indinia never went after Ivey and stopped pursuing DGL in favor of Jeremy Fears (who committed to MSU). Not really sure what the point of even offering Myles was, but whatever lol
Ivey and DGL are good enough if they wanted to go to indiana they would have Pursued him. No way indiana would have passed on them if there is any interest.

I almost threw Newman in there but that is a situation maybe they could have gotten Newman if they hadn’t got a commitment from Franklin. I believe franklin committed the day before newmans visit to indiana presumably to avoid losing his spot of Newman committed on his visit.

He’s not wrong. I live in Colorado and nobody knows what a Purdue is. We’ve never accomplished anything on a national sporting stage and the only folks I talk to who have an opinion on us are guys that have hired engineers. I got more feedback during the whole Purdue Pharma opioid case than anything before or after.
We’re an afterthought with a fanbase that’s a mere fraction of our alumni. You folks in Indinia need to get out more.

I used to work in silicon valley. Everyone there was aware of Purdue and excellent academics. I guess I'd rather have places like silicon valley aware and impressed with Purdue.

Seems strange since he is not on the national stage. Why tick off the fans in state on your local radio show?
Jake said that there is exhaustive research for The Fan that 7 out of 10 listeners are Indinia fans...as, I had questioned him directly on that in that I did not think it was possibly the case...still very leery admittedly. Regardless, in that it is what they are provided, it is why they pander to that fanbase to the extent that they do. I mean, every guy that they have working the station is an Indinia guy.

Thus, Purdue fans are the least of their concern...if even a concern.

Purdue fans seem to lie low generally...that has always been a point that I have made when things like this come up/out.

Ivey and DGL are good enough if they wanted to go to indiana they would have Pursued him. No way indiana would have passed on them if there is any interest.

I almost threw Newman in there but that is a situation maybe they could have gotten Newman if they hadn’t got a commitment from Franklin. I believe franklin committed the day before newmans visit to indiana presumably to avoid losing his spot of Newman committed on his visit.
Sadly, (while certainly not confirmed) Ivey was apparently not pursued, and never really had his interest gauged by Archie because Schilling convinced him that Ivey was a Notre Dame heavy lean, and it would have therefore been wasted effort.

Those kind of decisions are a window into how Archie got fired. Doesn't mean Ivey would have had real interest, but it was unlike Furst or Trayce, where at least both Purdue and IU made initial efforts to see if it would take root.

Yes, have heard them...I stopped listening in large part some time ago just because I was working from home and not listening as I had when that was not the case, but, there has been a drastic turn since the hiring of Woodson was announced.

Not getting played at all...

He may proclaim the same still for Painter (why wouldn't he, or anyone for that matter?), but, he has not had him on to the extent that he has in the past...and, he has gone hard on the Indinia side of things while repeatedly taking shots at Purdue.

Sadly, (while certainly not confirmed) Ivey was apparently not pursued, and never really had his interest gauged by Archie because Schilling convinced him that Ivey was a Notre Dame heavy lean, and it would have therefore been wasted effort.

Those kind of decisions are a window into how Archie got fired. Doesn't mean Ivey would have had real interest, but it was unlike Furst or Trayce, where at least both Purdue and IU made initial efforts to see if it would take root.
They don't pursue a lot of the same guys...as much of a reason as any as to why the state of the two programs are what they are and have been.

It was not as if Archie did not bring talent...he just could not coach...he was not fired for his inability to get talent there.

Reactions: mathboy
Must be in a smaller place, as, I have had many people talk to me about Purdue sports when I have been there, and, my daughter watched Purdue games regularly at a bar in Denver with a contingent of loyal and proud Purdue fans.

I was just in Idaho at the start of the year and had multiple people talk to me about Purdue football AND basketball. There is a local bar there that has a signed Bob Griese photo hanging on the wall. That is as remote a location as there is, and, as I said...multiple people talked about Purdue.

Same has happened in Florida or in New Jersey/New York.

Reactions: Purdue85
I used to work in silicon valley. Everyone there was aware of Purdue and excellent academics. I guess I'd rather have places like silicon valley aware and impressed with Purdue.
I used to travel globally and I can tell you Purdue is very well known across the pond. When you ask folks there about Indinia, the best they can come up with is the state. ... maybe.

But I am always asked: WHY DOESN'T PAINTER RUN ZONE.

I mean it's constant :p

They don't pursue a lot of the same guys...as much of a reason as any as to why the state of the two programs are what they are and have been.

It was not as if Archie did not bring talent...he just could not coach...he was not fired for his inability to get talent there.
I have the same conclusion but a slightly different perspective, though "could not coach" incorporates a lot of elements.

I think that Archie's version of "could not coach' consisted of being technically proficient, but inflexible, unable to get players motivated and comfortable, and having a terrible sense of roster and staff construction.

Oh absolutely, my point was those players didn't really get a chance to go to Indinia, whether they wanted to or not.

And between Newman and Franklin I believe (just my opinion) Purdue and Indinia were splitting them. Newman committed publicly after Franklin but it wasn't a secret he was going to.

Reactions: Indy_Rider

Like I said, I tuned in to his 1070 show on game day because last several game days had been fun and lighthearted rivalry banter but this year was obnoxiously all IU. Haven’t listened since. Also, he’s been trolling Purdue fans way more than usual on Twitter and not in the funny troll kind of way.

Reactions: DAG10 and mathboy
Like I said, I tuned in to his 1070 show on game day because last several game days had been fun and lighthearted rivalry banter but this year was obnoxiously all IU. Haven’t listened since. Also, he’s been trolling Purdue fans way more than usual on Twitter and not in the funny troll kind of way.
Twitter is an easy fix, just disagree with him and he'll block you.

Dude is as freaking thin skinned as they come.

Reactions: DAG10
Go back to your mic, Dan.

So I just gave his twitter feed a quick glance, and within a few seconds one can easily tell he is clearly off a bit mentally. Kinda sad, really.

I have relatives in Golden…. Purdue is very well known. I traveled extensively in the US for work… everyone knows Purdue. You are obviously a troll.

I disagree here a little bit. I live in the southeast and people don't know much about Purdue. We all know Purdue has a great engineering program and it may have good name recognition in those circles but for kids coming out of high school it doesn't have much of a brand,

Purdue's brand down here is similar to Wake Forest or Baylor to a midwesterner. People have heard of it and there impression is that its a pretty good school but they aren't overly impressed when you say you graduated from there.

My mom moved out to Oregon about the time I graduated from Purdue and the first time I visited, she introduced me to her friends out there. Their words (emphasis was theirs): "This is the son that went to Purdue!?" These same people had no idea what IU was, as my mom explained that was her alma mater. Maybe it's because of the technology sector out west, but that's been my impression every time I've been to Oregon and California.

Reactions: DAG10
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT