ADVERTISEMENT

Dan Dakich

pubill

Sophomore
Jan 2, 2021
I don't know if any of you still listen to Dakich on Outkick or 1070 the Fan, and I am not sure why I have been , other that driving and nothing else to do.

I used to think he was a fan of Purdue's basketball program and Matt and Gene. Now especially after the last few days , I don't believe so.

He has commented or had stories of the following lately:
-the best scouting job Bob Knight ever did was for Duke preparing them and Coach K to beat Purdue and Big Dog in the Elite 8 game.
-says he likes Gene and respects Matt, but doesn't really need them on his show as he can have any former IU player on the show and his ratings are much better than with Matt or Gene, says there is NO"ratings bump" when he has Matt on his show
-said Purdue will fall down(his story is, he likens it to Lucy pulling the football from Charlie Brown)this year again in NCAAs. He says winning Big 10 titles mean nothing, only what you(Purdue especiallly) do in NCAAs matter.
-laughs at Purdue fans , calls them fanboys, who talk of IU basketball problems, and say their thoughts are irrelevant, as they are only Purdue fans and they don't understand what winning is or what a winning culture is.
-says GRob would have come to Purdue as Dan had connections to him, but Knight did not want him
-he says Ivey should be first player taken next year in NBA draft, but believe he is doing so, so if we "fail" he can use that against us, per we underachieved again
-has told the story numerous times of being hit with coins, while playing against Purdue at Purdue
-says Purdue fans, always have the view that something bad is going to happen to Purdue and everyone and thing is against them(probably agree with this to some extent)
-said if IU wants a recruit, there is no way Purdue can get him, but blames Crean and Miller for not going after best talent
-said Purdue will always be #2 or #3 program in the state
-said most people outside Indiana do not even know Purdue is in Indiana
-said ESPN considered Purdue a second level program, did now draw ratings

There is many more stories about Purdue out of his mouth. I think his distaste for Purdue has been hidden in the past , but now coming more to forefront, as IU's miseries have continued, especially after he went on and on about Woody solving all their problems.

Rob Blackmon still comes on his show every so often to talk Purdue(hope he stops). Matt and Gene used to be on regularly, have not been lately. Matt had some classic interviews with him in past. Maybe they grew tired of his mouth. I hope they all boycott him and I will not listen anymore and I hope more and more Purdue fans turn him off. I used to enjoy him talk CBB, but grown tired of this new anti-PU BS.

Maybe I overreact , had not listened to him for a while, but hearing him the last week has me POed.

I don't know if any of you still listen to Dakich on Outkick or 1070 the Fan, and I am not sure why I have been , other that driving and nothing else to do.

I used to think he was a fan of Purdue's basketball program and Matt and Gene. Now especially after the last few days , I don't believe so.

-the best scouting job Bob Knight ever did was for Duke preparing them and Coach K to beat Purdue and Big Dog in the Elite 8 game.
-says he likes Gene and respects Matt, but doesn't really need them on his show as he can have any former IU player on the show and his ratings are much better than with Matt or Gene, says there is NO"ratings bump" when he has Matt on his show
-said Purdue will fall down(his story is, he likens it to Lucy pulling the football from Charlie Brown)this year again in NCAAs. He says winning Big 10 titles mean nothing, only what you(Purdue especiallly) do in NCAAs matter.
-laughs at Purdue fans , calls them fanboys, who talk of IU basketball problems, and say their thoughts are irrelevant, as they are only Purdue fans and they don't understand what winning is or what a winning culture is.
-says GRob would have come to Purdue as Dan had connections to him, but Knight did not want him
-he says Ivey should be first player taken next year in NBA draft, but believe he is doing so, so if we "fail" he can use that against us, per we underachieved again
-has told the story numerous times of being hit with coins, while playing against Purdue at Purdue
-says Purdue fans, always have the view that something bad is going to happen to Purdue and everyone and thing is against them(probably agree with this to some extent)
-said if IU wants a recruit, there is no way Purdue can get him, but blames Crean and Miller for not going after best talent

There is many more stories about Purdue out of his mouth. I think his distaste for Purdue has been hidden in the past , but now coming more to forefront, as IU's miseries have continued, especially after he went on and on about Woody solving all their problems.

Rob Blackmon still comes on his show every so often to talk Purdue(hope he stops). Matt and Gene used to be on regularly, have not been lately. Matt had some classic interviews with him in past. Maybe they grew tired of his mouth. I hope they all boycott him and I will not listen anymore and I hope more and more Purdue fans turn him off. I used to enjoy him talk CBB, but grown tired of this new anti-PU BS.

Maybe I overreact , had not listened to him for a while, but hearing him the last week has me POed.

If IU wants a recruit, no way Purdue can get them? Furst and TKR say hello lol.

Dakich is a clown.

So he's on this rant now instead of being the sexiest dickhead he I remember him being.

Nope, never liked him, always thought he was an idiot blowhard. But yes, he knows basketball well enough to fail as a coach multiple times, so I guess he has that. Enough knowledge to get the job, not enough to do anything once he has it. So he just talks about how great he could've been, if only he had a brain.

He is a shock jock of Indiana sports. He’s trying to get ratings. He’s trying to keep his loyal IU listeners satisfied by trying to play some “big brother” BS about IU/PU rivalry. Everyone knows you shouldn’t take Dakich too seriously. He is mildly entertaining at times, but no need to get worked up over. He’s just not that important.

He has claimed for over a decade that hiring an “IU guy” as head coach would restore Indinia Basketball to its rightful place among the college basketball elite, and finally IU followed his advice.

It’s now slowly sinking in for ole Danny boy that the “IU Guy Strategy” isn’t working either, and he is lashing out at the premier instate program.

He's an insecure fool grasping for any remaining relevance.

No need to listen to him. I pity humans like him.

Last edited:
He is a shock jock of Indiana sports. He’s trying to get ratings. He’s trying to keep his loyal IU listeners satisfied by trying to play some “big brother” BS about IU/PU rivalry. Everyone knows you shouldn’t take Dakich too seriously. He is mildly entertaining at times, but no need to get worked up over. He’s just not that important.

if he's out of Indy, he's just playing to his market. Low principled people will say anything to get attention and make money.

He should not have the platform that he does...he is as fake as can be, and, is only about himself (thus why he went to Indinia, and, thus why he spent so much time there after his playing career). He likes to talk/act like he stood up to Knight, but, the truth is that absent Knight, Dakich does not have the life that he does.

How many genuine loyal Indinia listeners are there really? Jake Query tries to suggest the same, but, I just don't buy it...there are so many longtime fans that have distanced themselves post Knight, and, no way that there is a strong young fanbase either. I just don't buy that those people are why the shows exist or who they pander to in light of it.

Dakich loves Dakich, and, looks out only for Dakich...

No, you are not overreacting, and, he is/has shown his true colors...he is not a fan or supporter in any genuine way of Purdue....his relationship with Keady was driven largely by an attempt to show disdain for Knight...his relationship with Painter is not genuine either.

He is a fraud...was as a coach, again as a commentator, and is as whatever he believes himself to be now...never mind just in general.

To your point, he has gone out of his way recently to make it very clear where he stands...which is fine...just makes not liking him even easier than it already was.

He should not have the platform that he does...he is as fake as can be, and, is only about himself (thus why he went to Indinia, and, thus why he spent so much time there after his playing career). He likes to talk/act like he stood up to Knight, but, the truth is that absent Knight, Dakich does not have the life that he does.

How many genuine loyal Indinia listeners are there really? Jake Query tries to suggest the same, but, I just don't buy it...there are so many longtime fans that have distanced themselves post Knight, and, no way that there is a strong young fanbase either. I just don't buy that those people are why the shows exist or who they pander to in light of it.

Dakich loves Dakich, and, looks out only for Dakich...

Yes that fan base is dying off, literally.

This is why it always annoyed me when purdue fans would say "I like dakich. I think he's very fair to purdue" when he was at ESPN. It was so obvious that he was just trying to piss off the IU fan base to get attention. He's always been an attention whore masquerading as a journalist/pundit.

lol why in the world would you think Dan Dickhead would ever be a fan of Purdue ? He is a candy cane pant wearing Loosier thru and thru (always has been ) and is a complete white trash hick moron. Best to ignore him at all costs.

None of that is surprising - it's kind of how the common IU fan feels, as far as I can tell.

Also, people outside of Indiana may not know where Purdue is, but they know what it is and tend to respect it. Someone outside of Indiana, unless they are a big sports fan, will not know what "IU" is and will not care that someone went to Indiana University (anymore than any other public university). Deserved or not, I state this just as a "matter of fact" as so many IU fans have told me when they remind me Purdue athletics is '"2nd tier".

Exactly. Shock sells

Sounds like a disgruntled "wannabe coach".

I like JMV and Jake Query, they are genuine and fair despite being IU fans growing up. I don't listen to DD often, but he has had some great interviews with Painter and Keady over the years. Is there really an issue? Are they actually not coming on the show or is he not inviting them? When was the last time Painter was on? Or was he just on one of his rants and for "shock value" to get people to notice him saying it's all about IU and Purdue is 2nd tier or something? All I know if Painter is a fantastic coach, we consistently have a nationally ranked team and none of that is affected by anything Dan Dakich says. Ha! Either just enjoy Dan's style and show, or don't listen, no need to feed into all of the shock.

Dakich. Gosh, when I think of him I don't think of the hot takes or the interviews. I think of all of the swaying banners he put up in...what's the name of that arena in Bowling Green, Ohio?

Reactions: Schnelk

He’s an idiot. Don’t waste your time on him.

Yep. He’s got people talking about his show. Mission accomplished.
Talking about it and actually listening to it are entirely different things.

So are talking about his show, and, talking about him...he is a clown...should have been fired already multiple times for ridiculous things that he has said.

As I said...he is fake...he cares only about himself...that is why he is doing what he is doing...he loves to hear himself talk, even if is is only to himself.

He's slowly fading into irrelevance so he attempts to get as many clicks as he can.

If anyone disagrees with him, he laughs it off as he knows better than everyone else. It's predictable as much as laughable.

I have to admit that I’ve been really disappointed in this recent turn of events. I listened to his show whenever CMP was on (pretty regularly) in the past and it was always great. Matt’s basketball insights were always great and they were entertaining too. His interview after Eastern and Haarms transferred was really good. Dakich also was very supportive during both Tyler Trent and Larry Clisby’s battles with cancer. On the day of the IU/Purdue game he’d usually have Gene Keady and past players from both schools (Cardinal and Hummel for example) and it was good natured. He even commented during their Elite 8 run how jealous he was that Keady was still involved and around the program with his old players. Then, this year on game day, it was different. It was all IU and since that game his show and his Twitter have been very anti-Purdue and particularly mean spirited towards Purdue fans. I guess maybe the 9 losses in a row and knowing what’s coming in Mackey in a couple of weeks finally cracked him. It’s very odd though how he’s made a complete 180.

It's a lie to say Knight didn't want Glenn Robinson. Knight visited with Robinson at his high school. Robinson told him he was planning to go to Purdue and Knight left - some say angrily.

He’s all about trying to get under people‘s skins. Don’t take the bait. I’ll bet most Indinia fans dislike him just as much, if not more.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Like all "news" media these days it seems, he is pandering to his base for ratings.
Yes and he's probably doubling down on it because his move to Outkick and a national platform probably hasn't translated like he thought. He's realizing he's only got IU and they don't have the national interest he thought. So he's doubling down on keeping the dwindling fan base he has.

• Haha
Reactions: Russ Ford
Thanks for the post. I don't listen very often, but will not give him the clicks anymore since he doesn't need it.

As a side note. I don't mind if the narrative that this Purdue team will choke starts building. I think this team is different and when they are on edge (especially Ivey) and counted out they will play their best ball of the season.

Duck Fakich.......Dan is as much of a Purdue Fan as Travis Miller is......both IU homers who act like Purdue fans for ratings.

Last edited:
I have to admit that I’ve been really disappointed in this recent turn of events. I listened to his show whenever CMP was on (pretty regularly) in the past and it was always great. Matt’s basketball insights were always great and they were entertaining too. His interview after Eastern and Haarms transferred was really good. Dakich also was very supportive during both Tyler Trent and Larry Clisby’s battles with cancer. On the day of the IU/Purdue game he’d usually have Gene Keady and past players from both schools (Cardinal and Hummel for example) and it was good natured. He even commented during their Elite 8 run how jealous he was that Keady was still involved and around the program with his old players. Then, this year on game day, it was different. It was all IU and since that game his show and his Twitter have been very anti-Purdue and particularly mean spirited towards Purdue fans. I guess maybe the 9 losses in a row and knowing what’s coming in Mackey in a couple of weeks finally cracked him. It’s very odd though how he’s made a complete 180.
Similar sentiments from me. Plus, as a Region Rat/Gary native myself, I enjoyed his edge. In hindsight, I think he was using Purdue to undermine Glass and Crean/Archie because they were not part of the RMK lineage. He used his place in the media to turn the fanbase against them. Praising Purdue and Coach Painter served that purpose. Now that Dolson and Woodson are in place, he is doing whatever he can to help them succeed. He presumably believes using his place in the media to try to undermine Purdue serves that purpose.

None of that is surprising - it's kind of how the common IU fan feels, as far as I can tell.

Also, people outside of Indiana may not know where Purdue is, but they know what it is and tend to respect it. Someone outside of Indiana, unless they are a big sports fan, will not know what "IU" is and will not care that someone went to Indiana University (anymore than any other public university). Deserved or not, I state this just as a "matter of fact" as so many IU fans have told me when they remind me Purdue athletics is '"2nd tier".
I disagree here a little bit. I live in the southeast and people don't know much about Purdue. We all know Purdue has a great engineering program and it may have good name recognition in those circles but for kids coming out of high school it doesn't have much of a brand,

Purdue's brand down here is similar to Wake Forest or Baylor to a midwesterner. People have heard of it and there impression is that its a pretty good school but they aren't overly impressed when you say you graduated from there.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
I have not listened to jockitchstain in forever as he is a washed up clown. And I know he comes to this forum every once in a while so likely made a visit here since those comments.

He's an egotistical clueless stain of humanity and he can have his circle jerk of iu fans. HIs entire rant is nothing more than a desperate take to try and justify IU's fall to the basement and our rise. He does it all for ratings and lacks the balls to say those things to Painter because he knows Painter would take him to the woodshed.

Basically to sum it up, he is just the typical delusional IU fan. We sure he isn't courtsense?

I disagree here a little bit. I live in the southeast and people don't know much about Purdue. We all know Purdue has a great engineering program and it may have good name recognition in those circles but for kids coming out of high school it doesn't have much of a brand,

Purdue's brand down here is similar to Wake Forest or Baylor to a midwesterner. People have heard of it and there impression is that its a pretty good school but they aren't overly impressed when you say you graduated from there.
I disagree with your disagreement and I will explain why.....

The typical argument sports create the brand over academics is an obtuse view but the majority unfortunately.

I also live in the SE and everyone I speak with that I tell I graduated from Purdue is very impressed. I feel college is about academics not all about sports.....

Purdue is excellent in academic's and average in sports. (Although we have a top 15 all time Men's winning basketball program)

The sports first people probably feel Clemson is a better school than Purdue because of the sports but there is no comparison when it comes to academics, but yet Clemson has the better brand because of sports.

Too each there own but I would take a degree and experience from Purdue over Clemson any day.

Boiler Up!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT