ADVERTISEMENT

Dammit...happy for Zach but losing him will hurt.

To be fair there aren't really many (any?) professional leagues that give a rats ass about their supply chains leagues. Most minor league baseball players have to live with host families because they don't make enough money to afford an apartment in the cities they move to play ball.
My point exactly. No reason why the NCAA should worry about the NBA’s problem.

Reactions: Boiler Buck
The ability to pull out (keep it clean guys) before picked could be of value to players I would think?
I don’t see why they can’t stay in the draft and then still go back to college whether they get drafted or not.

I don’t see why they can’t stay in the draft and then still go back to college whether they get drafted or not.
I think it's something that can work. It works in hockey and baseball. But it would take a major overhaul to the current system. Both on the NBA side and the college side, essentially because of roster limits. In hockey and baseball, you have extensive minor league systems. In basketball, all you have is the G league.

I do see a lot of guys withdrawing their names from the draft and going back to school (or the portal). But that might have as much to do with the sheer numbers that put their name in in the first place. Is there an accurate count out there right now? I haven't looked at an updated mock in a few weeks.

I think it's something that can work. It works in hockey and baseball. But it would take a major overhaul to the current system. Both on the NBA side and the college side, essentially because of roster limits. In hockey and baseball, you have extensive minor league systems. In basketball, all you have is the G league.
But what overhaul would the NCAA have to do to change the rule ? Sure it might hurt the NBA but who cares ?

But what overhaul would the NCAA have to do to change the rule ? Sure it might hurt the NBA but who cares ?
The NBA could do away with the one and done rule and allow players under 19 to be drafted. The quality of player in college basketball is already so much worse than it was in prior decades, I'm not sure the NCAA would want to pick that battle.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
The NBA could do away with the one and done rule and allow players under 19 to be drafted. The quality of player in college basketball is already so much worse than it was in prior decades, I'm not sure the NCAA would want to pick that battle.
The NBA has always done, and will continue to do, what’s best for the NBA. And the NCAA should do likewise.

The NBA didn’t create the one and done rule to help the NCAA. They did it to keep themselves from drafting high school busts like Darius Miles.

And they’ll get rid of the rule when it’s in the NBA’s best interest to do so.

I think it would make sense for players to be able to enter the draft with a first round condition. If they don’t get drafted in the first round they automatically withdraw and retain their college eligibility.
I would give the player the option to withdraw if they get picked in the 2nd round and don’t get a guaranteed contract.

But the NBA team would hold their rights until the next draft.

The NBA has always done, and will continue to do, what’s best for the NBA. And the NCAA should do likewise.

The NBA didn’t create the one and done rule to help the NCAA. They did it to keep themselves from drafting high school busts like Darius Miles.

Wasn’t Darius Miles the one who got like a 800 on his SAT and wasn’t going to get into college but on his retake he got like 1200 and threw up red flags so he bolted for the pros?

Perhaps I’m remembering someone else.

I do see a lot of guys withdrawing their names from the draft and going back to school (or the portal). But that might have as much to do with the sheer numbers that put their name in in the first place. Is there an accurate count out there right now? I haven't looked at an updated mock in a few weeks.
Just scanning a few mock drafts from this week. The "experts" seem to think Edey's status hasn't changed much. Saw him at 48 in one mock draft, 51st in another and undrafted in a third.

It only takes one team to take a flyer on a unique player like Edey so who knows.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Just scanning a few mock drafts from this week. The "experts" seem to think Edey's status hasn't changed much. Saw him at 48 in one mock draft, 51st in another and undrafted in a third.

It only takes one team to take a flyer on a unique player like Edey so who knows.
Seeing the same. I agree with your view of ‘it only takes one team’. The problem, as stated by Painter, which makes sense to me, is that when you get into the late first and second round it’s really hard for a team to guarantee that they will take you. They have no idea who may have slipped and still be available that they hadn’t planned on.

So, even if a team says they really like you at that point you’re rolling the dice on where you’ll be taking and where you’ll end up versus the certainty of returning to school. Difficult to say which choice is correct, but Zach’s direction is certainly not clear, at least from the outside.

As an aside, this is from Sports Illustrated two days ago: If he returns, he’ll be the consensus preseason player of the year, and the Boilermakers will be in everyone’s top 10. If not, he projects as a second-round pick and could very well go undrafted.

This is not a very well informed take, his performance in the 3/4 length sprint was fairly impressive. A couple of tenths of a second behind the most athletic (and much smaller) bigs and a few hundredths of a second behind Kalkbrenner, who is considered to be very agile for a 7 footer.

Agree that the main concern is not shooting, it's questions around his ability to defend on the perimeter, although I believe his agility testing was also much better than most expected.
sprinting one time is insignificant, having endurance to continually do it is the question. he improved greatly in that aspect last year, can he do it at an nba level?

sprinting one time is insignificant, having endurance to continually do it is the question. he improved greatly in that aspect last year, can he do it at an nba level?
I know you're an IU fan, but did you watch any of this past season? Zach was consistently one of the first to the other end of the floor the entire game.

Can he do that in the NBA? I don't know. But I, for one, have always been very impressed with his hustle and stamina.

Reactions: Chi-Boiler
Wasn’t Darius Miles the one who got like a 800 on his SAT and wasn’t going to get into college but on his retake he got like 1200 and threw up red flags so he bolted for the pros?

Perhaps I’m remembering someone else.

It was Darius Miles like you state, Beef. He was picked 3rd by the Clippers (in a long line of miscalculated/bad picks for them) then subsequently traded when he didn't pan out as hoped.

TPSposter.jpg

shooting is not his problem mobility is. plenty of bigs can't shoot. but if you can't get up and down the floor at an NBA level pace your virtually useless, they won't start the offense with 10 seconds left on the shot clock waiting for him to get into position.
umm, we're talking about WHAT HE SHOWED the NBA. Quicker than TJD laterally should be something EVEN YOU can grasp........

I still think Zach is back. No inside info, just a hunch.

Next year I think he will be used slightly different in a way that will benefit his NBA stock and the Purdue team as a whole. Other guys like Loyer, Smith, Kaufman, or Colvin might see an uptick in shots while his usage getting post touches might go down a bit. Purdue will be better for this in March.

His rebounding will still be elite and I think we'll see another jump in defensive improvement in rim protection and agility that the NBA needs to see growth in. He's gotten progressively better defensively every year. Maybe he'll get the green light to let some jumpers fly on pick and pops if he keeps working on that area too.

Zach seems like he bets on himself and the work he puts in and next year he'll be in a better position to get drafted with his continued year to year progression even if he doesn't sweep the POY awards again. He's a year young for his grade and has still only been playing basketball for a short period of time.

Reactions: rgarlitz and DrEss
Again, extremely uninformed. Zach has tremendous endurance. Dumb to double down on an ignorant take.

Reactions: oldboiler52
I still think Zach is back. No inside info, just a hunch.

Next year I think he will be used slightly different in a way that will benefit his NBA stock and the Purdue team as a whole. Other guys like Loyer, Smith, Kaufman, or Colvin might see an uptick in shots while his usage getting post touches might go down a bit. Purdue will be better for this in March.

His rebounding will still be elite and I think we'll see another jump in defensive improvement in rim protection and agility that the NBA needs to see growth in. He's gotten progressively better defensively every year. Maybe he'll get the green light to let some jumpers fly on pick and pops if he keeps working on that area too.

Zach seems like he bets on himself and the work he puts in and next year he'll be in a better position to get drafted with his continued year to year progression even if he doesn't sweep the POY awards again. He's a year young for his grade and has still only been playing basketball for a short period of time.
One area I think Edey could improve without changing the offense is to improve his decision making and passing. Most NBA centers are pretty good passers. Not that he's ever going to have the court awareness of Trevion but if he improved in that area, I think it would be just as meaningful as him developing a three-point shot.

That being said when he makes the right pass guys need to knock down open shots. For all of the talk of athletic wings, Purdue really just needed guys to hit open threes last year. Purdue had a lot of good looks last year, but the team was one of Painter's worst three-point shooting teams by percentage. 198th in the country. If Edey comes back and Purdue can even be an above average three-point shooting team, look out!!!!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Roeder

And the NBPA likes the one and done rule because it keeps younger players out of the NBA a year longer, letting fringe current players (and current members of the players association) stay in the league at least that one year longer

I don’t think Zach will get a guarantee at a first round pick from any NBA team. So he’ll be comparing a more realistic high 2nd round deal with NIL at Purdue. The rumor I saw is he got $800k this year. How much more might he get if he returns, now that he’s won NPOY?

As someone on the thread said, our shooters were mystifyingly bad at 3’s in games this past season… I don’t see that happening two years in a row. And I do see value in Edey shooting midrange jumpers and 3’s sometimes if he can hit them. Look how JJ’s midranges rounded out his game, for example. If Edey had had those options in March, we might have tried some different things in the FD game.

I think Edey coming back is dependent on NIL funders ponying up, and if they are ever going to make a big bet (pun intended) this is the year, so I think he’s back.

Reactions: Schnelk
The team that drafts a player and then the player wants to go back hurts the team that used their draft on that player. However, if a person decided before the person was drafted I could see that

Reactions: Schnelk
The team that drafts a player and then the player wants to go back hurts the team that used their draft on that player. However, if a person decided before the person was drafted I could see that
Yes that hurts the NBA team. But it’s an NCAA rule, and the NCAA shouldn’t be concerned about the Pacers or Rockets losing a draft pick. They need to do everything they can to help college basketball.

He Is really waiting to the last minute...Could mean no team has guaranteed picking him end of the 1rst or beginning of the 2nd

Looking at this video, I think there is a pretty good chance he stays in the draft. I had no idea Zach could shoot like this from the outside. Sure he wasn't guarded but can anyone really guard a 7 foot, 4 inch center shooting 3's anyway? Say what you want about my basketball knowledge but Zach never shooting a 3 the entire season - that is just wrong!
why?

You can look at his free throw form and tell that he has a decent stroke. Not meant to be insulting towards your basketball knowledge but I don't know that there's a lot of correlation between looking good and hitting some shots in a workout highlight film and making them consistently in a game.

I'm with you though, I'd love to see Zach come back and hit some from the outside when teams sell out to take away the middle and leave him unguarded on the perimeter. I loved watching AJH make some his senior year.
The issue with Zach playing in the NBA is not on the offensive end, it is on the defensive end. Can he got outside 15 ft and guard? I think the NCAA game proved he could not.

The issue with Zach playing in the NBA is not on the offensive end, it is on the defensive end. Can he got outside 15 ft and guard? I think the NCAA game proved he could not.
Agree that the major concern for NBA execs is his defense.

I think that's a legitimate concern but I'm not sure what you saw in the NCAAT game the 'proved' he can't defend.

Reactions: BoilerDaddy
I truly believe if NIL is where it should be he returns. I can’t see him being a late first/early second round pick. Either way I’m fine with it though, it’s Zach’s life, if he wants to pursue an NBA dream more power to the big fella!

• Love
Reactions: northside100
I know you're an IU fan, but did you watch any of this past season? Zach was consistently one of the first to the other end of the floor the entire game.

Can he do that in the NBA? I don't know. But I, for one, have always been very impressed with his hustle and stamina.

This is true, but in our mostly half court offense our guards are usually slowly walking the ball up. So it doesn’t say much. I do think Zach has good endurance though. And the thing is he isn’t going to be playing close to 40 minutes in the NBA anyways like he was in college so that would help too. Unless he just totally breaks out which would be awesome.

Yes that hurts the NBA team. But it’s an NCAA rule, and the NCAA shouldn’t be concerned about the Pacers or Rockets losing a draft pick. They need to do everything they can to help college basketball.

I don’t really know what the exact rules on either side are, but if a player gets drafter, are they not signing a contract? Are they not signing something even just to be in the draft? It may be an NCAA rule that we are discussing specifically, but its hard to believe there isn’t something on the NBA side already that would prevent this. And what’s going to stop the NBA from making that a rule if the NCAA tries to allow it? The bottom line is if it hurts the NBA they will stop it whether there is a current rule on that side or not imo.

I don’t really know what the exact rules on either side are, but if a player gets drafter, are they not signing a contract? Are they not signing something even just to be in the draft? It may be an NCAA rule that we are discussing specifically, but its hard to believe there isn’t something on the NBA side already that would prevent this. And what’s going to stop the NBA from making that a rule if the NCAA tries to allow it? The bottom line is if it hurts the NBA they will stop it whether there is a current rule on that side or not imo.
The only thing getting drafted does is give a team that player's rights. Contracts are guaranteed for 1st round players only. Many 2nd round picks and free agents do sign contracts, but it is not guaranteed. The only thing guaranteed is that if they stay in the draft past tomorrow they can't go back to school.

I don’t really know what the exact rules on either side are, but if a player gets drafter, are they not signing a contract? Are they not signing something even just to be in the draft? It may be an NCAA rule that we are discussing specifically, but it’s hard to believe there isn’t something on the NBA side already that would prevent this. And what’s going to stop the NBA from making that a rule if the NCAA tries to allow it? The bottom line is if it hurts the NBA they will stop it whether there is a current rule on that side or not imo.
Drafting a player just gives an NBA team a player’s NBA rights. If the player doesn’t sign a contract with that team, they can play somewhere else.

International players get drafted by NBA teams every year that stay with their overseas club, sometimes with the encouragement of the NBA team that drafted them.

Ricky Rubio played in Spain for 2 more years after the TWolves drafted him, for example.

ADVERTISEMENT