ADVERTISEMENT

Dammit...happy for Zach but losing him will hurt.

Wonderful for him if he is 1st round .......not so much in 2nd. Likely make as much here. Maybe more?? Wondered why we have not heard anything one way or the other, with the deadline approaching?

Last edited:
Wonderful for him if he is 1st round .......not so much in 2nd. Likely make as much here. Maybe more?? Wondered why we have not heard anything one way or the other, with the deadline approaching?
Someone early in the 2nd round (Pacers?) could promise him a multi year contract.

I don’t understand why kids can’t stay in the draft, then come back if they don’t like their draft position/team.

I don't think many Purdue fans would be surprised by the video.

I hope he's getting better feedback then what this guy is "hearing". Big difference between 20 and 45. If he's a first round pick he should go....If he's the 45th pick then, maybe not.

After watching this video, I now feel strongly that Zach should stay in the NBA draft and not return to Purdue. At Purdue, he was known as someone not able (or allowed) to take a shot from more than 5' from the basket. If he is able to make NBA 3-pointers, then clearly he is capable of an outside shot in college. Imagine how much different last year's team would have been had Zach been used as a scoring threat from outside, or even the mid-range!

Somebody please show me that I am wrong and that Coach Painter didn't massively screw up the offense last year by not allowing Zach more freedom away from the basket.

After watching this video, I now feel strongly that Zach should stay in the NBA draft and not return to Purdue. At Purdue, he was known as someone not able (or allowed) to take a shot from more than 5' from the basket. If he is able to make NBA 3-pointers, then clearly he is capable of an outside shot in college. Imagine how much different last year's team would have been had Zach been used as a scoring threat from outside, or even the mid-range!

Somebody please show me that I am wrong and that Coach Painter didn't massively screw up the offense last year by not allowing Zach more freedom away from the basket.
Could you just come out and tell us whether you're trolling or if you have a very limited understanding of basketball? That would make this a lot easier.

Yes & no.

You are incorrect, we won a ton of games with that offense.

However, you are correct, when teams triple teamed & bogged down the offense, then CMP should have adjusted to ZE outside. He stubbornly didn't not. As Furst and really everyone on the team were good to great rebounders for their position.

Last edited:
Someone early in the 2nd round (Pacers?) could promise him a multi year contract.

I don’t understand why kids can’t stay in the draft, then come back if they don’t like their draft position/team.
They do that in hockey, the team that drafts him would still have their rights for say 2-3 years. You might see a day where that happens.

Because the team that drafted him would be screwed.
Not really if they could retain rights, some of these first round one and dones would probably benefit from another year of school or two instead of riding pine of playing in the G league. Hockey does it, Hawks #1 pick last year is playing at Michigan for at least 2 years, maybe 3.

Reactions: northside100
That’s the NBA’s problem. It’s an NCAA rule.

They do that in hockey, the team that drafts him would still have their rights for say 2-3 years. You might see a day where that happens.

Not really if they could retain rights, some of these first round one and dones would probably benefit from another year of school or two instead of riding pine of playing in the G league. Hockey does it, Hawks #1 pick last year is playing at Michigan for at least 2 years, maybe 3.

They certainly could adopt some sort of concept. Some of you "old timers" like yours truly might recall there's some loose analogy with the situation (not outcome) of what happened with Larry Bird. The Celtics originally drafted him in '78 when he declared under the old rules, but he returned to college. Had he not signed a contract with the Celtics before the draft, he would have been available for the Lakers - who ended up taking a sophomore from Michigan State......Earvin Johnson with the #1 pick.

I would consider retention of draft rights for an additional year (after eligibility or staying in the draft) given all the other variables that weren't around in the late '70s.

Reactions: DrEss

Because thats screwing the team that used a draft pick on him. This IS about the NBA, not the players. ;)

He is more athletic for his size than people were giving him credit for. Now, finally people are seeing it (non Purdue fans).

He could come back, but I think it seems likely that he could be headed to the NBA now.

Again, this is an NCAA rule. The NBA obviously doesn’t give a flying ——— about the NCAA.
To be fair there aren't really many (any?) professional leagues that give a rats ass about their supply chains leagues. Most minor league baseball players have to live with host families because they don't make enough money to afford an apartment in the cities they move to play ball.

Done deal.
Are you seeing a lot of sources that have Zach going in the 20 to 45 range? I've not done a lot of looking but I have not. I've seen him listed at the low end of that range but that really makes it a crap shoot if that's his outlook.

I would tend to agree that if the consensus is that he's taken in the first third of the second round (guaranteed money territory) or better that he'd be very likely to go and if there's a material chance that he goes in the first round it's a done deal. From what I've seen that positive of a projection is an outlier rather than the consensus but I'm not that close to it.

Reactions: BoilerUp81

The NCAA could allow undrafted players who did night sign with an agent to return.

He shot over 70% from 5'.
He's 7'4" and the BEST OFFENSIVE REBOUNDER IN THE COUNTRY and you want him on 3 pt line.
Ya'll agree'ers keep your day jobs.

Which way?
He gone.
Are you seeing a lot of sources that have Zach going in the 20 to 45 range? I've not done a lot of looking but I have not. I've seen him listed at the low end of that range but that really makes it a crap shoot if that's his outlook.

I would tend to agree that if the consensus is that he's taken in the first third of the second round (guaranteed money territory) or better that he'd be very likely to go and if there's a material chance that he goes in the first round it's a done deal. From what I've seen that positive of a projection is an outlier rather than the consensus but I'm not that close to it.

Just my hunch. If you look back at the last 5-10 years of drafting there are tons of picks of big guys that never accomplished nearly as much as Zack before someone took a shot at them. Yes the game has changed but there's always a place for bigs that can shoot.
The nearly unmentioned (here) factor is his REBOUNDING. Huge plus at the next level and he's not only tall, but strong and quick enough most of the time..
How many times has a Boiler lead the league in rebounding? Guessing not many.
Barely noticed here.
The Pacers (among others) are dying for a tenacious rebounder. If they think he's quick enough to be a back up right away I gotta think someone's gonna hire the kid.

They certainly could adopt some sort of concept. Some of you "old timers" like yours truly might recall there's some loose analogy with the situation (not outcome) of what happened with Larry Bird. The Celtics originally drafted him in '78 when he declared under the old rules, but he returned to college. Had he not signed a contract with the Celtics before the draft, he would have been available for the Lakers - who ended up taking a sophomore from Michigan State......Earvin Johnson with the #1 pick.

I would consider retention of draft rights for an additional year (after eligibility or staying in the draft) given all the other variables that weren't around in the late '70s.
bird never declared for the draft, but because he sat out the year before going to Indiana st , he was eligible the rules have changed since then. Auerbach pulled off the greatest heist in sports.

There were several other players a few years ago that were second round picks, did not hire an agent, went back to college and their nba team retained their rights. And after they played their final year in college, went to the nba team that retained their rights. One of those players was a guard from Minnesota! The Bucks were known for using second round picks and taking flyers on players! We all know about Larry Bird. Very few people know the history of the Bucks using a draft pick to take a flyer on Julius Erving who was playing in the ABA at the time. The Bucks could have been a dynasty with Dr J and Jabbar. Maybe Jabbar would have decided to stay!

There were several other players a few years ago that were second round picks, did not hire an agent, went back to college and their nba team retained their rights. And after they played their final year in college, went to the nba team that retained their rights. One of those players was a guard from Minnesota! The Bucks were known for using second round picks and taking flyers on players! We all know about Larry Bird. Very few people know the history of the Bucks using a draft pick to take a flyer on Julius Erving who was playing in the ABA at the time. The Bucks could have been a dynasty with Dr J and Jabbar. Maybe Jabbar would have decided to stay!
Got drafted, but then went back to school? And this was just a few years ago? Got a link for that?

Reactions: PUQBMan.
bird never declared for the draft, but because he sat out the year before going to Indiana st , he was eligible the rules have changed since then. Auerbach pulled off the greatest heist in sports.

Yes - good point of clarification - he was "eligible" to be drafted (rather than declaring, which wasn't part of the draft process back then) as his original college class (@ Indiana) had graduated. I also didn't remember he played three years @ ISU.

TGIF :)

He gone.

Just my hunch. If you look back at the last 5-10 years of drafting there are tons of picks of big guys that never accomplished nearly as much as Zack before someone took a shot at them. Yes the game has changed but there's always a place for bigs that can shoot.
The nearly unmentioned (here) factor is his REBOUNDING. Huge plus at the next level and he's not only tall, but strong and quick enough most of the time..
Barely noticed here.
The Pacers (among others) are dying for a tenacious rebounder. If they think he's quick enough to be a back up right away I gotta think someone's gonna hire the kid.
I'd be very happy for Zach if he gets taken in the late first or early second round. You may be right and someone falls in love with him in workouts and decides to make a solid commitment. It will be interesting to see if the mock draft boards pick up on that.

He gone.

Barely noticed here.
The Pacers have 3 picks between 26-32. I predict they use one of them on either Zach or TJD. Both would help their pathetic defensive rebounding.

Looking at this video, I think there is a pretty good chance he stays in the draft. I had no idea Zach could shoot like this from the outside. Sure he wasn't guarded but can anyone really guard a 7 foot, 4 inch center shooting 3's anyway? Say what you want about my basketball knowledge but Zach never shooting a 3 the entire season - that is just wrong!

Yes - good point of clarification - he was "eligible" to be drafted (rather than declaring, which wasn't part of the draft process back then) as his original college class (@ Indiana) had graduated. I also didn't remember he played three years @ ISU.

TGIF :)
channel 4 started showing ind st games that season what he was truly amazing to watch just totally dominated the game. as good as a shooter as he was in the pros, he was much better in college. he broke his finger playing softball between his senior season and going pro. never healed correctly.

If Zach goes he goes, it’s his life not ours. If he’s promised to go in the early to mid 40’s he probably gets a guarenteed contract, that very well could happen. I will say this, coming back another year won’t improve his draft stock, they are what they are at this point. It all about NIL which supposedly will be really good for him vs does he get a guarenteed deal to at least match it. If he’s not guarenteed anything and looking at a lower second round draft slot he probably returns, all’s it takes us for a team to promise him something which is very possible.

There were several other players a few years ago that were second round picks, did not hire an agent, went back to college and their nba team retained their rights. And after they played their final year in college, went to the nba team that retained their rights.
Please cite your evidence of this because I believe it is not correct. Certainly not "a few years ago." Years ago you could draft an international player and hold their rights for a certain number of years, but I don't think you can even do that these days.

Looking at this video, I think there is a pretty good chance he stays in the draft. I had no idea Zach could shoot like this from the outside. Sure he wasn't guarded but can anyone really guard a 7 foot, 4 inch center shooting 3's anyway? Say what you want about my basketball knowledge but Zach never shooting a 3 the entire season - that is just wrong!
You can look at his free throw form and tell that he has a decent stroke. Not meant to be insulting towards your basketball knowledge but I don't know that there's a lot of correlation between looking good and hitting some shots in a workout highlight film and making them consistently in a game.

I'm with you though, I'd love to see Zach come back and hit some from the outside when teams sell out to take away the middle and leave him unguarded on the perimeter. I loved watching AJH make some his senior year.

Please cite your evidence of this because I believe it is not correct. Certainly not "a few years ago." Years ago you could draft an international player and hold their rights for a certain number of years, but I don't think you can even do that these days.
Quit being a jerk, why would you demand that posts be 'factually accurate'? ;)

If Zach goes he goes, it’s his life not ours. If he’s promised to go in the early to mid 40’s he probably gets a guarenteed contract, that very well could happen. I will say this, coming back another year won’t improve his draft stock, they are what they are at this point. It all about NIL which supposedly will be really good for him vs does he get a guarenteed deal to at least match it. If he’s not guarenteed anything and looking at a lower second round draft slot he probably returns, all’s it takes us for a team to promise him something which is very possible.
nt

shooting is not his problem mobility is. plenty of bigs can't shoot. but if you can't get up and down the floor at an NBA level pace your virtually useless, they won't start the offense with 10 seconds left on the shot clock waiting for him to get into position.

shooting is not his problem mobility is. plenty of bigs can't shoot. but if you can't get up and down the floor at an NBA level pace your virtually useless, they won't start the offense with 10 seconds left on the shot clock waiting for him to get into position.
This is not a very well informed take, his performance in the 3/4 length sprint was fairly impressive. A couple of tenths of a second behind the most athletic (and much smaller) bigs and a few hundredths of a second behind Kalkbrenner, who is considered to be very agile for a 7 footer.

Agree that the main concern is not shooting, it's questions around his ability to defend on the perimeter, although I believe his agility testing was also much better than most expected.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT