ADVERTISEMENT

Damezi Anderson enters the portal

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChoiceBeef

All-American
Feb 19, 2017
Saw this coming a mile away. Always wondered if he would have done better if he came to Purdue instead of IU.

IU folks saying they are going to get Trey Kaufman. Will be curious to see how that plays out.

Saw this coming a mile away. Always wondered if he would have done better if he came to Purdue instead of IU.

IU folks saying they are going to get Trey Kaufman. Will be curious to see how that plays out.

I was surprised this hadn’t happened sooner. Was seen as a miss when he committed to IU, but now maybe not so much.

For the record I don’t think we should pursue.... haha.

What a waste. He probably would've been better here. Here's hoping he transfers to another conference and averages 20+ ppg. He's capable. I just don't know if he's not coachable or just not coachable for Archie Miller. But it's a cautionary tale for Top 100 guys. Go to IU under Miller at your own risk.

What a waste. He probably would've been better here. Here's hoping he transfers to another conference and averages 20+ ppg. He's capable. I just don't know if he's not coachable or just not coachable for Archie Miller. But it's a cautionary tale for Top 100 guys. Go to IU under Miller at your own risk.

You can apply that to every school. Kentucky had a top 10 kid transfer out this year. It happens at Villanova, it happens at Indiana, hell it happens at Purdue. It's not like he wasn't given a chance to succeed or anything? But I think that's awful harsh to pit Anderson's failure solely on Archie.

If Landers reclassifies to be in the 2020 class, I wonder if Phinisee will too.

You can apply that to every school. Kentucky had a top 10 kid transfer out this year. It happens at Villanova, it happens at Indiana, hell it happens at Purdue. It's not like he wasn't given a chance to succeed or anything? But I think that's awful harsh to pit Anderson's failure solely on Archie.

I'd normally be more reserved on my opinion of what went wrong but I've seen this kid play a ton. I can say for certain it's not lack of ability that's his problem. Perhaps he's ultimately not able to accept structure and coaching but that was no secret when he was being recruited. Coach Painter didn't back off of him so I assume that means that he thought he could coach him if he had come to Purdue. IMO, there's 2 possibilities and neither reflect well on Archie. Either he misread how coachable the kid was when he recruited him OR he overestimated his ability to provide the necessary level of coaching needed. Not a good look no matter which case.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
I'd normally be more reserved on my opinion of what went wrong but I've seen this kid play a ton. I can say for certain it's not lack of ability that's his problem. Perhaps he's ultimately not able to accept structure and coaching but that was no secret when he was being recruited. Coach Painter didn't back off of him so I assume that means that he thought he could coach him if he had come to Purdue. IMO, there's 2 possibilities and neither reflect well on Archie. Either he misread how coachable the kid was when he recruited him OR he overestimated his ability to provide the necessary level of coaching needed. Not a good look no matter which case.

It's one player and if we're getting technical, he wasn't even a consensus top 100 recruit. I agree, he was a talented player coming out of high school billed as a shooter. But that doesn't always translate to the next level. His biggest problem in my opinion was his basketball IQ. He looked lost and non-instinctive when he was on the court. He was out of position constantly, timid with the ball, didn't look to cut or screen. In high school he was bigger and more athletic than most everybody he played against and got by on that alone. He was an average athlete at this level.

Every coach has at one point or another overestimated a players talent coming out of high school. No coach is perfect. Painter had several top 100 recruits transfer out one after another at one point. Damezi just wasn't a good fit for the program. He lacked aggression, wasn't physical and was mostly overwhelmed every time he stepped onto the court.

Last edited:
Archie "Creaned" him. I don't think Miller ever liked the kid and honestly never gave him a fair shot. But then, I'm biased that Miller isn't a B10 coach and will never do much more than this team did this season. Look for this to be Miller's last at IU, and Beilein to come into Bloomington next season. This came from an IU friend who is a prominent donor with connections. He says, and these are his words, "Miller isn't liked and is viewed by many at IU as the little prick".

It's also known that Fred was "asked" to retire because Miller is his albatross and was Fred's choice when no one else wanted him. Getting Fred out the door opens it for the new guy to let Miller go and for Beilein to come to town.

Archie "Creaned" him. I don't think Miller ever liked the kid and honestly never gave him a fair shot. But then, I'm biased that Miller isn't a B10 coach and will never do much more than this team did this season. Look for this to be Miller's last at IU, and Beilein to come into Bloomington next season. This came from an IU friend who is a prominent donor with connections. He says, and these are his words, "Miller isn't liked and is viewed by many at IU as the little prick".

It's also known that Fred was "asked" to retire because Miller is his albatross and was Fred's choice when no one else wanted him. Getting Fred out the door opens it for the new guy to let Miller go and for Beilein to come to town.

The art of the troll

Reactions: cosmickid

On what basis was Anderson "creaned"? IU had scholarships available. Reality is that Anderson was never going to play and was being recruited over.

As someone pointed out below, fantastic troll job.

And you really have no clue what you're talking about and your IU "friend" is an idiot (and also likely made up). Scott Dolson was handpicked by Fred Glass.

And you really have no clue what you're talking about and your IU "friend" is an idiot (and also likely made up). Scott Dolson was handpicked by Fred Glass.
Really?

UPDATE FOR YOU "COACH"....

Scott Dolson was named the new IU athletic director Tuesday, according to a release from the university.

He was appointed by IU President Michael McRobbie upon the recommendation of a 14-member committee chaired by IU Vice President Bill Stephan. The appointment is subject to approval by the IU Board of Trustees at its April meeting.

Outgoing athletic director Fred Glass announced in December that he would be retiring at the end of the academic year. Dolson has been IU’s deputy director since 2009, the same year Glass was hired.

"I am honored and humbled by the opportunity to lead the Indiana University Department of Intercollegiate Athletics, a place I have served for more than two decades and have long had a tremendous love and passion for," Dolson said in the release. "I want to thank President McRobbie, search committee chair Bill Stephan and the entire search committee for the trust they have shown in me to lead the department into a very promising future.”

Dolson is an IU alumnus that graduated in 1988 and spent seven years directing the IU Varsity Club before serving in the deputy director role.

No where did it say Fred "handpicked" him, and no where did Dolson acknowledge Dead in the Head Fred.

This is gold lol.

Reactions: cosmickid
Really?

UPDATE FOR YOU "COACH"....

Scott Dolson was named the new IU athletic director Tuesday, according to a release from the university.

He was appointed by IU President Michael McRobbie upon the recommendation of a 14-member committee chaired by IU Vice President Bill Stephan. The appointment is subject to approval by the IU Board of Trustees at its April meeting.

Outgoing athletic director Fred Glass announced in December that he would be retiring at the end of the academic year. Dolson has been IU’s deputy director since 2009, the same year Glass was hired.

"I am honored and humbled by the opportunity to lead the Indiana University Department of Intercollegiate Athletics, a place I have served for more than two decades and have long had a tremendous love and passion for," Dolson said in the release. "I want to thank President McRobbie, search committee chair Bill Stephan and the entire search committee for the trust they have shown in me to lead the department into a very promising future.”

Dolson is an IU alumnus that graduated in 1988 and spent seven years directing the IU Varsity Club before serving in the deputy director role.

No where did it say Fred "handpicked" him, and no where did Dolson acknowledge Dead in the Head Fred.

Dolson was Glass' right hand man the entire time Fred was at Indiana. The second Glass announced his retirement everyone knew Dolson was going to be promoted and was given the nod from his former boss. Anyone who even pretends to follow IU knew this hire was inevitable. Apparently this is something your imaginary pirate forget to mention to you when babbling about John Beilein.

It's funny how we've seen Archie not get very much out of top recruits...TJD might be the exception, but we'll see how that pans out.

It's funny how we've seen Archie not get very much out of top recruits...TJD might be the exception, but we'll see how that pans out.

Huh? Archie has had 3 consensus top 100 recruits.

One avergaed 17 ppg, was 2nd team All-B10 and a lottery pick. Another was All-B10 Freshman and third team All-B10. The other is just getting back on his feet after recovering from injury that almost cost him his basketball career. What other top recruits are you referring too?

One avergaed 17 ppg, was 2nd team All-B10 and a lottery pick. Another was All-B10 Freshman and third team All-B10. The other is just getting back on his feet after recovering from injury that almost cost him his basketball career. What other top recruits are you referring too?
Wow....with that kind of talent you'd think IU was relevant once again. But wait....they're not. You have to be able to teach and coach once they get there unlike Lil' Arch who rolls the ball out on the court. Right Mo?

Who are the top recruits Archie didn't get a lot out of? TJD obviously was great as a freshman. Romeo was the 3rd leading scoring freshman in the country even with a torn ligament in his thumb. Phinisee has been solid in his first two seasons, and even he wasn't a consensus top 100 recruit. Jerome Hunter was injured all of last season, and this season started to come on during conference play. Should be very solid next season as a RS Sophomore.

Let's put it this way, he certainly hasn't won with them...

Reactions: Purdue85
Who are the top recruits Archie didn't get a lot out of? TJD obviously was great as a freshman. Romeo was the 3rd leading scoring freshman in the country even with a torn ligament in his thumb. Phinisee has been solid in his first two seasons, and even he wasn't a consensus top 100 recruit. Jerome Hunter was injured all of last season, and this season started to come on during conference play. Should be very solid next season as a RS Sophomore.

How many NCAA tournament appearances has Archie had with his great recruits?

Reactions: Purdue85
Because the players he inherited haven't been consistent. A majority of the players he has recruited to Indiana have performed will when healthy.

I mean you guys just lost a transfer who thinks he has a better shot to make the NBA at BYU then he does at Purdue. I think you should tone the transfer rhetoric down a little bit. I think Haarms is crazy but it proves that kids leave for all kinds of reasons these days. To say Anderson was "creaned" is just foolish. I mean twins main man Bobby lost a transfer almost every off season when it wasn't as easy to transfer. If anyone was run out of the program it was those guys.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
None, but by G-d he gets a lot out of them.

:rolleyes:

But that's not what he said. He's completely re-negging on his original comment. He said Archie hasn't gotten anything out of his top recruits which is patently false as they've been his best players.

You won't find me disagreeing that Indiana has been average under Archie although last year's team would have been playing in the tournament had one been held, but it's not because his top recruits haven't performed.

You sure about that? I guess when you play no one in the non-conference, it's easy to swell your record up...
According to the Net Rankings SOS, our Non Conference SOS was 20 spots higher than yours. IU had the 66th strongest non conference SOS and Purdue had the 86.

Congrats on losing to the good teams you played in non conference though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT