ADVERTISEMENT

Curt Cignetti to IU

RDUBoiler

Redshirt Freshman
Mar 28, 2011
James Madison's Coach, Curt Cignetti, has been hired by IU. From what I've seen, he's a pretty good coach. Probably their best football hire in a while.

I think this is a smart hire. Given his age, JMU or his next school was clearly going to be the final stop in Cignetti’s coaching career.
Given its history, a younger coach would be foolish to take the IU job. It has been the death knell for so many coaching careers across the decades. I suspect it was difficult for the IU administration to entice a proven, younger coach to Bloomington. Such coaches are waiting for opportunities that have a much higher probability of support and success as they continue to build their careers. And those opportunities WILL come if they continue to win.
Cignetti may help change the IU culture and be seen as a transitional hire. If he is successful, in 6 to 10 years when he decides to retire, IU could be in a position to recruit a more talented and younger coach to replace him that it would be nearly impossible for them to do today.
All that said, I hope that he fails spectacularly!
Boiler Up! 🚂

Reactions: goboilers2
He seems like a good hire and definitely doesn't look his age. If he ends up being a good hire and coaches for 7+ years he can set Indinia up for a decent successor.

Reactions: pboiler18
On paper a superior hire to what we did a year ago. A young, unknown and unproven guy with no HC experience. (Note: I am not anti-HC RW. Not at all.). IU gets a mature, proven, experienced HC.....not unlike getting Joe Tiller back in '97. Great hire. Again, only on paper, IU sure outdid Bobinski on this one. I hope I am very, very wrong.

This dude won't know what hit him playing with the big boys
The Sun Belt is probably comparable to the MAC, if not better. He beat Virginia this year and has built a pretty solid program down there.

Like the other poster, I see this as a similar hire to when we hired Tiller. It could work out well for them, although Big Ten competition is about to get a lot fiercer.

This dude won't know what hit him playing with the big boys
doubt it, really good hire for a program like that. Like LSU's Kelley, he has won wherever he's been. His hiring reminds me more of Kleineman's at KSU. Next year their first 3 games are gimme wins and the following year they don't play osu, mich, USC, and Oregon or Wash.

James Madison's Coach, Curt Cignetti, has been hired by IU. From what I've seen, he's a pretty good coach. Probably their best football hire in a while.

Craig Bolh Joe Tiller type of hire. Smart move, experience but still has something to prove....

Last edited:
Craig Bolh Joe Tiller type of hire. Smart move, experience but still has something to prove....
I see he finished 10-2 in his last year at Indiana University. He will never come close to that at Indinia.

Going to miss the whole Leo philosophy.

Reactions: SKYDOG
No one knows how well Cignetti will do but IU is long over due for a winning coach because Bo Mc Millin was the last Hoosier coach to leave Bloomington with a winning career record and that was in 1947.They have had 14 consecutive leaders leave since then,and Tom Allen had the second highest winning percentage at ./402. Only Bill Mallory had a higher mark at around 47 per cent.There cannot be many Indiana fans alive that can recall McMillin being there.Go ahead and compare Cignetti to Joe Tiller if you wish but I doubt if IU beats Purdue the next two years by a combined score of 108 to 14.Lets never forget that Purdue crushed the Hoosiers 56 to 7 in 1997 and 52 to 7 in 1998.

Reactions: rgarlitz
No one knows how well Cignetti will do but IU is long over due for a winning coach because Bo Mc Millin was the last Hoosier coach to leave Bloomington with a winning career record and that was in 1947.They have had 14 consecutive leaders leave since then,and Tom Allen had the second highest winning percentage at ./402. Only Bill Mallory had a higher mark at around 47 per cent.There cannot be many Indiana fans alive that can recall McMillin being there.Go ahead and compare Cignetti to Joe Tiller if you wish but I doubt if IU beats Purdue the next two years by a combined score of 108 to 14.Lets never forget that Purdue crushed the Hoosiers 56 to 7 in 1997 and 52 to 7 in 1998.
I vaguely recall Mallory as a good coach and also Hoepner(?), who died before his time, RIP. Wilson also seemed to be effective other than the part about abusing the players in various ways, leading to his downfall (not a Leo kind of guy).

I don't expect the new guy to beat Purdue or anybody else in the next few years other than the usual cupcakes. It is smart to bring his whole staff with him, like Joe did, however.

I vaguely recall Mallory as a good coach and also Hoepner(?), who died before his time, RIP. Wilson also seemed to be effective other than the part about abusing the players in various ways, leading to his downfall (not a Leo kind of guy).

I don't expect the new guy to beat Purdue or anybody else in the next few years other than the usual cupcakes. It is smart to bring his whole staff with him, like Joe did, however.
It was a lousy break for IU that Hoeppner died so tragically after just two years at the helm.Wilson was ok in that he made IU more competitive than usual but he led them to only 12 Big Ten wins in six years and four of them were over Purdue teams assembled by DH2.Thats nothing to boast about.Heck,Danny Hope steered Purdue to 13 league victories in just four seasons.

Reactions: rgarlitz
Screw him....I take back he was a good hire....he addressed IU crowd before tipoff tonight saying Purdue Sucks!!! Ugh!!! Bit#$ slap his ass next yr!

A good hire when compared to the other choices they actually interviewed for the position. An IU article listed the other “actual “. Candidates. One of the other candidates was cryst - the former UW coach. If you look at his entire resume, he was once an assistant coach for Saban at Alabama. He was also Alabama’s recruiting director. So he should know what to expect at this level and he should be a decent recruiter! Like all schools a lot will depend on the coaching staff he builds around him.

Most good coaches wouldn’t get near that place, since they really don’t care about football. This guy sounds like a decent coach, but his AARP membership preceded his first P5 coaching opportunity, and it was only Indinia who reached out to him among all of the other schools who needed a coach. It was IU versus James Madison for him, and it was his once in a lifetime chance to be a big time coach. A perfect union for two needy parties.

Reactions: Riveting-
The top half of the SunBelt is comparable to the nearly dead Big Ten West.

Don't kid yourself.
Dude, IU is the bottom of the entire B1G. His battle is like climbing Mt. Fuji.

I was wondering why hasn't he had bigger jobs if he's so good? Is it his age? I'm just curious. He may end up well and get IU to a Bowl.

Does the IU Coaching job come with the prerequisite to be a cringy loudmouth buffoon??

“Purdue sucks, but so does Michigan and Ohio State!” Duuuurrrrr. New coach of a Top 5 all-time worst CFB program talking smack, mmmk.

Everyone on the planet that’s not an IU fan immediate take - “This guy is a clown. Ignore.” Way to get no one to take you seriously right out of the gate 😂 I’ll miss cringy coach LEO but this fool will prob fill in just fine.

Reactions: tjreese
Everyone on the planet that’s not an IU fan immediate take - “This guy is a clown. Ignore.”
True, but only those who are paying attention, which would be just about nobody.

I personally hope he has some of the Rev Coach Leo spaz in him for our entertainment.

Reactions: tjreese
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT