ADVERTISEMENT

Current condition of the Offensive Line

72Boiler

Gold Member
Nov 20, 2017
Just some observations about our Offensive Line:
Currently, we have Spencer Holstege playing in early, and is still under discussion as a possible Starter, this year. We also have 3 OL's coming in this summer, in Kyle Jornigan, Cam Craig, and Dave Monnot. It's entirely possible that Jornigan could also help us, this year, at least on the 2 deeps (which are extremely important, with Lineman, in the 3rd and 4th quarters).

We also apparently have Cronk coming in as a grad transfer; but I don't believe that that is confirmed, yet. It may not be confirmed until May.

So, with the existing Lineman, It looks to me like we are starting to take the OL to another level. Consider also that we just received early verbal commitments, for 2020, for 2 OL's; and we're strongly recruiting several more, i.e. John Young, from Louisville (teammate of Milton Wright), and Randy Holtz, from Ft Wayne. And there are others, including a 5* Justin Rogers; and 5 OL's that just visited Purdue on Satuday, 3/30. Clearly CJB has a high priority on the Offensive Line.

Any comments, additions, or corrections?

Reactions: Zaphod_B
It is going to be an interesting year. Center is a big concern.

Beach was supposed to be our center of the future! This was to be his third year. how serious is his injury? and will he be able to start or contribute ?

Beach was supposed to be our center of the future! This was to be his third year. how serious is his injury? and will he be able to start or contribute ?
I thought I read someplace, that Beach came back to practice, without pads, just a few days ago. But I may be confused with someone else. Sometimes, it doesn't take much to fake me out.

I thought I read someplace, that Beach came back to practice, without pads, just a few days ago. But I may be confused with someone else. Sometimes, it doesn't take much to fake me out.

I know Beach was injured this Spring. but I also know before his injury, he was being counted on to make some major contributions this year. I realize things can change.

the grad transfer who came last year from WKU had played 2 different positions at WKU. if Cronk arrives as a grad transfer, I imagine there will be additional shifting on our line as Cronk is not coming to Purdue to be a back-up.

Brohm had praise for Jornigan when he signed, and indicated he may be ready to play as a freshman. he didn't say start, but play rather than red shirt which would be a good thing..

yes, there are question marks, but our future looks bright. my hope is that they jell in August and we'll get out of the gates fast! We need to win some of those tough pre-season games.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
I know Beach was injured this Spring. but I also know before his injury, he was being counted on to make some major contributions this year. I realize things can change.

the grad transfer who came last year from WKU had played 2 different positions at WKU. if Cronk arrives as a grad transfer, I imagine there will be additional shifting on our line as Cronk is not coming to Purdue to be a back-up.

Brohm had praise for Jornigan when he signed, and indicated he may be ready to play as a freshman. he didn't say start, but play rather than red shirt which would be a good thing..

yes, there are question marks, but our future looks bright. my hope is that they jell in August and we'll get out of the gates fast! We need to win some of those tough pre-season games.
Wolegib, do you know what position Cronk plays, or has played?

A new player to watch is Mitchell Walters. Just received an offer from Purdue. Has added a bunch of offers in the last month from Kentucky, IU, Missouri, Arizona, and Baylor. 6’8 275 OT out of St Louis. Also had a few Olinemen visit this past weekend. The OL spots may be all filled up quickly. No clue how many we are taking, but it’s pretty awesome we can be picky. CJB and company have done a very nice job improving that line.

Edit: I should add he is currently unrated, but with that size and those offers, his rating means nothing at this point. If he does well at the camps, has a nice senior year, and lands on a P5 squad, he will be ranked and likely a minimum of a top 1500. That young man will have a very nice recruiting battle for his services.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT