ADVERTISEMENT

Correcting mistakes

Bigohh

All-American
Gold Member
Oct 6, 2002
Seems like the same old BS game after game. Players and coaches talk to death the need to correct their mistakes but it doesn't seem to get done. Is this team talented enough to win if they do correct most of their mistakes. I doubt there has ever been an error free game but the continued BS is getting tiring to read. I would suggest that the need for success is just overwhelming and the "we have worked so hard" story is old as is the "we need to correct our mistakes".
I guess the more appropriate "we are a low talent team with incapable coaches " would not play well in the media. The only guy I see who can right the ship is Mitch.

In my experience you play the way you practice. My bet is practice mistakes are made and they are translating straight over. Been the same for 2+ years. Only hope is Blough keeps up the good pace and accuracy he started with last week and can keep us in it.

Seems like the same old BS game after game. Players and coaches talk to death the need to correct their mistakes but it doesn't seem to get done. Is this team talented enough to win if they do correct most of their mistakes. I doubt there has ever been an error free game but the continued BS is getting tiring to read. I would suggest that the need for success is just overwhelming and the "we have worked so hard" story is old as is the "we need to correct our mistakes".
I guess the more appropriate "we are a low talent team with incapable coaches " would not play well in the media. The only guy I see who can right the ship is Mitch.
Agreed. I am also sick of Hazell, when asked about specific plays/events in games, always seems to say "we'll have to watch the tape", as if he has no clue about what he's being asked or he missed the play/event that everyone else in the stadium saw.

Agreed. I am also sick of Hazell, when asked about specific plays/events in games, always seems to say "we'll have to watch the tape", as if he has no clue about what he's being asked or he missed the play/event that everyone else in the stadium saw.
Another take on this is that he might not want to call out specific plays/players on a post-game discussion. For starters, it's not usually one play or one player that loses a game, so I don't know what there is to gain by highlighting a play or two that stands out to fans. And secondly, maybe he does want to take a second look at the film to be 100% certain that what he thought he saw live is actually what really happened; I'm sure there are moments for coaches where this is not the case.

Surely the team watches the game film each week, and their weaknesses are exposed , so if they aren't getting any better , its because they can't or aren't being pushed to be better. If you are getting your butt kicked every week, I would think the coaches would be sticking their foot up someone's butt and calling out individuals to improve

It's seems to me to be one of twp possibilities:

1. Hazell really believes what he says, which I've concluded if that's the case, he's delusional.

2. Hazell is just saying in public what he believe he has to say in order to protect players from being embarrassed in public by his comments. This includes having to repeat and repeat the company line in order to be consistent, even though he privately doesn't believe what he's saying.

I honestly don't know which one it is. I suppose it could be a little of both depending on the time of day. Since Hazell NEVER seems to go off script, I tend to lean toward it being #1. If it were #2 I'd think that there would be more noticeable signs of frustration, and pausing (hemming and hawing), and literally biting of his lip when answering a question. But perhaps he's so disciplined in his messaging that he just spits out the same 2 lines..".we'll look at the tape", and "we can and will correct the mistakes".

I've posted before that I've concluded Hazell has next-to-zero chance of success at Purdue, simply because I believe he only knows one way to coach.....and that is the Jim Tressel (his mentor) model. The Jim Tressel approach ONLY works if you have consistently better talent at nearly every position. Tressel never had to be innovative or creative, thus Coach Hazell has not been around creative approaches to the game. It's just not him....and he can't change and be the coach he needs to be in time to succeed at Purdue.

There is a reason a team commits 5 major penalties on defense at a critical point in the game....they aren't good enough, and deep down the players probably know it. You commit that many penalties when you lack confidence that you can get it done by just playing well, straight up. It comes from a level of frustration thinking that you're so close.....and never getting there, so you have to stretch the rules a little. As much as I LOVED the Friday Night Lights TV series (and I REALLY love that series), Purdue under Hazell ain't never gonna be the East Dillon Lions, let alone the Dillon Panthers. There will be no underdogs overcoming the odds by being coached up and overcoming adversity with this group of coaches. Coach Hazell needs to be an assistant at an elite program where his principals work because he's coaching better players.

This is why I've stopped listening to him. I understand why he says what he says. What is he supposed say "we're really bad, and I don't think we'll ever turn this around"? I'd prefer that he'd just say that....but I'm one of those folks who appreciate brutal honesty. But again, I'm not saying that's the right thing to do.

In my experience you play the way you practice. My bet is practice mistakes are made and they are translating straight over. Been the same for 2+ years. Only hope is Blough keeps up the good pace and accuracy he started with last week and can keep us in it.
Well said TopSecretBoiler!

It's seems to me to be one of twp possibilities:

1. Hazell really believes what he says, which I've concluded if that's the case, he's delusional.

2. Hazell is just saying in public what he believe he has to say in order to protect players from being embarrassed in public by his comments. This includes having to repeat and repeat the company line in order to be consistent, even though he privately doesn't believe what he's saying.

I honestly don't know which one it is. I suppose it could be a little of both depending on the time of day. Since Hazell NEVER seems to go off script, I tend to lean toward it being #1. If it were #2 I'd think that there would be more noticeable signs of frustration, and pausing (hemming and hawing), and literally biting of his lip when answering a question. But perhaps he's so disciplined in his messaging that he just spits out the same 2 lines..".we'll look at the tape", and "we can and will correct the mistakes".

I've posted before that I've concluded Hazell has next-to-zero chance of success at Purdue, simply because I believe he only knows one way to coach.....and that is the Jim Tressel (his mentor) model. The Jim Tressel approach ONLY works if you have consistently better talent at nearly every position. Tressel never had to be innovative or creative, thus Coach Hazell has not been around creative approaches to the game. It's just not him....and he can't change and be the coach he needs to be in time to succeed at Purdue.

There is a reason a team commits 5 major penalties on defense at a critical point in the game....they aren't good enough, and deep down the players probably know it. You commit that many penalties when you lack confidence that you can get it done by just playing well, straight up. It comes from a level of frustration thinking that you're so close.....and never getting there, so you have to stretch the rules a little. As much as I LOVED the Friday Night Lights TV series (and I REALLY love that series), Purdue under Hazell ain't never gonna be the East Dillon Lions, let alone the Dillon Panthers. There will be no underdogs overcoming the odds by being coached up and overcoming adversity with this group of coaches. Coach Hazell needs to be an assistant at an elite program where his principals work because he's coaching better players.

This is why I've stopped listening to him. I understand why he says what he says. What is he supposed say "we're really bad, and I don't think we'll ever turn this around"? I'd prefer that he'd just say that....but I'm one of those folks who appreciate brutal honesty. But again, I'm not saying that's the right thing to do.
Or it could be that he knows he CAN'T bench the offending players because our backups aren't legit B1G players.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT