ADVERTISEMENT

Conference champion decided by Big10 regular season or Big10 tournament?

cobbocinco

Senior
Gold Member
Mar 13, 2011
Monticello, IN
With more teams in the conference and the unbalanced schedule, which is more important in crowning the big10 champion?

IMO, the conference tournament winner should be deemed the "conference champion"

thoughts?

The conference tourney is nice. The B1G regular season (which takes months) crowns the real champion.

The tourney allows teams on the bubble or a team that had no chance, an opportunity at making the NCAA's.

Agree that regular season champion is more important. But the NCAA gives the autobid to the tourney champ.

I don't know if that was properly clarified yet.

The conference tourney is nice. The B1G regular season (which takes months) crowns the real champion.

The tourney allows teams on the bubble or a team that had no chance, an opportunity at making the NCAA's.
which takes away a bid of a team truly deserving and in the top 64 (68) of all teams in the country from making the big dance.

which takes away a bid of a team truly deserving and in the top 64 (68) of all teams in the country from making the big dance.
The regular season champ is currently a joke. An accomplishment yes but watered down. MSU, PU, MD, Iowa and he'll maybe even UW would have won the reg season with IUs schedule.

I always believe it to be the regular season champ. I do believe that in order to have a conference tournament the auto bid has to go to the tourney champ.

The regular season champ is currently a joke. An accomplishment yes but watered down. MSU, PU, MD, Iowa and he'll maybe even UW would have won the reg season with IUs schedule.
If everyone in the big ten had to play each other twice, MSU would be the conference champion, I think that's pretty clear. So you're right, watered down is an understatement. Yes, MSU had a weak Big Ten schedule, but IU would not have won at Maryland, at Purdue, and many other arenas. They are just a horrible road and neutral court team. The Duke blow-out was just simply embarrassing for not only IU but for the Big Ten as a whole, and Maui was another embarrassment for IU AND the Big Ten. Now let's take Purdue, they had a tougher schedule and our record speaks for itself, we could have come in 2nd in the big ten if the other teams had to play the tougher schedule like we did. Now lets go to Maryland, they are a great team that was probably the pre-season favorite to win the Big Ten. Was it fair to Maryland that IU had such a soft schedule, NO, it's entirely not fair to Maryland. As you will see in the Maryland vs. IU game @IU, Maryland will take that game with ease. Prediction Maryland 84, Indiana 69. (Yogi will have a really bad senior day game unlike Valetine (27, 13, 4 - crushed it) solidifying Valentine as the best player in the Big Ten---which we all knew he was anyway but we have to hear Dan Dakich spewing his Yogi banter) #awfulcoaching

I can't take anything away from IU. They took advantage of the schedule, but still had to beat solid teams on the road, and home. I dislike them as much as the next guy, but I'm a realist CBB fan, and IU played as a team throughout the entire year, and played great defense.

Reactions: Heller
honey_badger is the best poster here.

The guy is a BS artist of the highest degree and is the most entertaining by a long shot!

I believe tourney as well. I would've said regular season along time ago but in today's game...its seems like team's don't play hard until the end of the season. Think about it a week ago IU was sitting on top of the B1G and was looking at the 3rd-5th best NCAA tournament seed....even they don't respect the regular season champion.

If Maryland wins tomorrow and IU still may be sitting at the 3rd best seed.

If Maryland wins tomorrow and IU still may be sitting at the 3rd best seed.
The matchup problems run very deep for IU. Who the heck is going to guard Layman, Troy Williams? LOL, ROTFL, his defense is the worst on the team (after the Blackmon injury), he alone will eat them alive, then you look at their bigs --- Stone, Carter, Dodd - nuff said --- now let's move to wings and point..... wow, Trimble, Sulaimon, Nickens, & Brantley -- Game Over!!!!!!!!!!!!! Size matters!!!!!!!!!!

Maryland was predicted to win the B1G this and guess who was right behind them...IU. should be a good match up! Honestly hope we see a good game between 2 of the best PG's in the nation regardless of MT's struggles. Maryland has probably the most talented team in the country but haven't shown it yet.

As I posted in the other thread, in Nov/Oct there were plenty of posts and threads discussing how/where we would finish in the B1G. There wasn't a single one talking about how we would do in the BTT....

Reactions: bccanada
Maryland was predicted to win the B1G this and guess who was right behind them...IU. should be a good match up! Honestly hope we see a good game between 2 of the best PG's in the nation regardless of MT's struggles. Maryland has probably the most talented team in the country but haven't shown it yet.
They'll show it tomorrow. And then some. IU is in trouble. They're also the type of team that feeds off of false prophecy via their overreactive coach, as in "we won the Big Ten, we have nothing else to play for, just go out and have fun win or lose". Crean is no Izzo. Izzo won't let ANY players take a play off no matter if they are down 5 or up 25. Crean is a trophy glitzer and you will see what I'm talking about when you watch them struggle to the better team. This will be the start to the end for them. Getting beat at home on Senior day will be the straw that breaks the camel's back. They will struggle in the Big Ten Tourney and the NCAA, well, we already know what Crean's IU track record is there. As Purdue fans, let's all enjoy watching the demise of Indiana_2016 just as they relish things that go bad with our program.

Last edited:
Doesn't matter which is more important the only guarantee is that if IU wins the BTT they will hang TWO banners and get a RING for each hand!!!

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER
With more teams in the conference and the unbalanced schedule, which is more important in crowning the big10 champion?

IMO, the conference tournament winner should be deemed the "conference champion"

thoughts?

Hahaha....nice try. You are trying to move the goalposts since you blew it in the regular season. There's no comparison between winning the season and the tournament. And....everyone knows it, including you.

Doesn't matter which is more important the only guarantee is that if IU wins the BTT they will hang TWO banners and get a RING for each hand!!!
They will never win the BTT, but if they did, put a fork in them because Crean will buy them all Corvettes and send them to disney world, leaving the NCAA tourney as their normal one or two and done. Crean is just so irritating to watch, listen to, and tolerate,,,and as a boiler fan, I just which he would pack his bags so I don't have to watch him clap and yap.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT