ADVERTISEMENT

Colin Castleman

OK, I believe you now. I know I have been a little hard on you lately.

I will just say in Bolermaker1973's defense, when you get older, your frustrations get bigger. And when you come close, those frustrations multiply. and when your school has never won anything in your lifetime, those frustrations increase exponentially. I' m seeing a lot of my classmates die or develop Alzheimer's disease or retired and living on fixed incomes. I want to see a championship before that happens to me.

I think Purdue is a great academic school and Painter is a great coach. I have a hard time understanding why an athlete would choose any other school over Purdue. I've been to a lot of college campuses. the only one I liked better was probably Duke.

I'm going to guess Boilermaker1973 graduated in 1973 making him older than me. When you get to our age, BIG 10 championships in basketball are no longer special because we've experienced them before. Making the NCAA tourney is kind of meaningless because we expect to make it every year. Making the Sweet 16 doesn't hold much bragging rights, because we've been there before as well.

and yes, we've heard every excuse and positive coach spin that has ever been said. We become skeptical and also want more. We want what we don't have - a championship. and the longer we live without one, the more frustrated and bitter we become. and our eyes are open - if UNC can cheat and win a championship and suffer no consequences for their actions, .why don't we? So what if we lose a scholarship for next year or don't get to go to the dance next year. We'd have a championship and isn't that what it's all about? I'd trade 50 sweet 16 appearances for one championship.

Yes, I've become a bitter old man - much like a lot of Cubs fans. And unfortunately, a lot of Cubs fans died before they won last year. I can see that day approaching for me. Like boilermaker1973, I'm tired of being above average. and I'm no longer a homer. I've seen what it takes to win a championship. And unless we change, we'll always be a good/great team, but never a champion - kind of like the Milwaukee Bucks and Brewers. and the problem , as I see it, is that Purdue fans accept Purdue for what it is and accept those sweet 16 and BIG 10 championships and buy the t-shirts, and are proud of what we are rather than demanding more.

and I see Boilermaker1973 as being much like myself, and not being satisfied with our current success, and also wanting more! Does that make him a troll? No. that just makes him a frustrated and passionate Purdue fan who like myself is a lot older than most and whose memory sometimes is wrong . I lived through the mid 70's, Joe Barry Carroll era, and Big Dog teams. They were all great teams. but they all came up short. I've also watched Butler's recent success. and I say, why not Purdue? As I said, I'd gladly give up 50 sweet 16's for one championship.

is Castleton that final championship piece? is Hunter? is Phinisee? is Painter? Is a zone defense? I no longer have the answers. but I can understand Boilermaker1973's frustration.

Last edited:
I will just say in Bolermaker1973's defense, when you get older, your frustrations get bigger. And when you come close, those frustrations multiply. and when your school has never won anything in your lifetime, those frustrations increase exponentially. I' m seeing a lot of my classmates die or develop Alzheimer's disease or retired and living on fixed incomes. I want to see a championship before that happens to me.

I think Purdue is a great academic school and Painter is a great coach. I have a hard time understanding why an athlete would choose any other school over Purdue. I've been to a lot of college campuses. the only one I liked better was probably Duke.

I'm going to guess Boilermaker1973 graduated in 1973 making him older than me. When you get to our age, BIG 10 championships in basketball are no longer special because we've experienced them before. Making the NCAA tourney is kind of meaningless because we expect to make it every year. Making the Sweet 16 doesn't hold much bragging rights, because we've been there before as well.

and yes, we've heard every excuse and positive coach spin that has ever been said. We become skeptical and also want more. We want what we don't have - a championship. and the longer we live without one, the more frustrated and bitter we become. and our eyes are open - if UNC can cheat and win a championship and suffer no consequences for their actions, .why don't we? So what if we lose a scholarship for next year or don't get to go to the dance next year. We'd have a championship and isn't that what it's all about? I'd trade 50 sweet 16 appearances for one championship.

Yes, I've become a bitter old man - much like a lot of Cubs fans. And unfortunately, a lot of Cubs fans died before they won last year. I can see that day approaching for me. Like boilermaker1973, I'm tired of being above average. and I'm no longer a homer. I've seen what it takes to win a championship. And unless we change, we'll always be a good/great team, but never a champion - kind of like the Milwaukee Bucks and Brewers. and the problem , as I see it, is that Purdue fans accept Purdue for what it is and accept those sweet 16 and BIG 10 championships and buy the t-shirts, and are proud of what we are rather than demanding more.

and I see Boilermaker1973 as being much like myself, and not being satisfied with our current success, and also wanting more! Does that make him a troll? No. that just makes him a frustrated and passionate Purdue fan who like myself is a lot older than most and whose memory sometimes is wrong . I lived through the mid 70's, Joe Barry Carroll era, and Big Dog teams. They were all great teams. but they all came up short. I've also watched Butler's recent success. and I say, why not Purdue? As I said, I'd gladly give up 50 sweet 16's for one championship.

is Castleton that final championship piece? is Hunter? is Phinisee? is Painter? Is a zone defense? I no longer have the answers. but I can understand Boilermaker1973's frustration.
Wow. I think you just said that YOU want a title and YOU don't care what has to be done to get it. And YOU said it is due to your age that YOU are frustrated. I think what YOU have is a YOU problem of your own making.
I'd love to see Purdue win but not at the cost that YOU propose.
EDIT:
I have re-read your post And feel my initial reaction was a bit harsh. I do think that you and many other fans, while well meaning, are creating your own frustration by demanding that a bunch of kids and a few basketball coaches achieve the pinnacle accomplishment for you. I hope for your sakes that the most important thing in your life, the greatest achievement you will claim, is not a ball game in which you do not play or coach. Or for that matter a ball game period.

Last edited:
I am feel the same way as Wolegib.I have been waiting for a long time. There's been a few teams that I thought had a championship in them, baby BOILERS to name 1, but I've always been disappointed. I thought last year could have been. I tell everyone that I can't die until I see that championship. Sorry but I'm running out of time.

According to Castleton, with the Purdue offer it puts PU in with the leaders at this point, per the pay board(KHC). As of now he wants to Visit Xavier, Illinois, and Purdue. No timetable or visit order was mentioned.[/QUOT
E]

Not to be an ass, just don't want you to get nailed. Not supposed to share premium info

boilerbusdriver said:
According to Castleton, with the Purdue offer it puts PU in with the leaders at this point, per the pay board(KHC). As of now he wants to Visit Xavier, Illinois, and Purdue. No timetable or visit order was mentioned.[/QUOT
E]

Not to be an ass, just don't want you to get nailed. Not supposed to share premium info
jadeezra,Today at 4:19 PM

You are in so much trouble.

But thanks for the post:)

boilerbusdriver said:
E]

jadeezra,Today at 4:19 PM

You are in so much trouble.

But thanks for the post:)

I honestly wasn't being sacrcastic, I'm not even a premium member anymore.

I think he is from Daytona Beach, I think Xavier and Illinois were some of his first HM offers, he mentioned he would like to visit those 2 places.......he will probably Blow Up, when the Bluebloods come sniffin' around

If he takes an official to Illinois, have to think he takes one to Purdue being only a short drive away. I'd offer to meet at the Beef House for dinner, speak to him there, and then drive him back to campus to Mackey Arena lit up at night. Play his highlights on the boards, have he announcer sitting court side, and announce him as a starter. Throw a jersey on him with some shorts and let him take a few shots on the court. Let him get a good night of sleep and take him to XXX for breakfast before getting a tour of all the facilities and a sit down with CMP in his office or back inside Mackey where CMP experience ends an official in person offer.

I'm sure Purdue does these things already but I would love to hear what they really do.

If he takes an official to Illinois, have to think he takes one to Purdue being only a short drive away. I'd offer to meet at the Beef House for dinner, speak to him there, and then drive him back to campus to Mackey Arena lit up at night. Play his highlights on the boards, have he announcer sitting court side, and announce him as a starter. Throw a jersey on him with some shorts and let him take a few shots on the court. Let him get a good night of sleep and take him to XXX for breakfast before getting a tour of all the facilities and a sit down with CMP in his office or back inside Mackey where CMP experience ends an official in person offer.

I'm sure Purdue does these things already but I would love to hear what they really do.
That would absolutely put me in the mood to commit. But what if he's a vegan? :D

Reactions: boilerbusdriver
what if a KHC poster shared his insider info on another board such as hammer and rails. and then one of us quoted hammer and rails? Would that be ok?

Wow. I think you just said that YOU want a title and YOU don't care what has to be done to get it. And YOU said it is due to your age that YOU are frustrated. I think what YOU have is a YOU problem of your own making.
I'd love to see Purdue win but not at the cost that YOU propose.
EDIT:
I have re-read your post And feel my initial reaction was a bit harsh. I do think that you and many other fans, while well meaning, are creating your own frustration by demanding that a bunch of kids and a few basketball coaches achieve the pinnacle accomplishment for you. I hope for your sakes that the most important thing in your life, the greatest achievement you will claim, is not a ball game in which you do not play or coach. Or for that matter a ball game period.

after your post, another old fan said he agreed with me. Us old people REALLY want to see a championship before we die. And there are a lot more old people out there, they just don't know about this web site or how the internet works. And we've seen all those other schools cheat, and get away with it, so why can't we follow their lead? history has proven both Purdue 's mens and womens teams have broken the rules before. Why can't we break the rules to actually win? if you're going to cheat and lose scholarships and coaches, you should cheat to win.

Purdue tried it your way for the past 70 years. Maybe they should try it the Knight, Calipari or Pitino way.

as for me and my real ambitions, Purdue athletics is rather low on my priorities in life. I'm more academia than athletics. I'm a member of the PMO, not JPC. .

what if a KHC poster shared his insider info on another board such as hammer and rails. and then one of us quoted hammer and rails? Would that be ok?

I'm not sure they could -would do much . But I'm not for sure.

after your post, another old fan said he agreed with me. Us old people REALLY want to see a championship before we die. And there are a lot more old people out there, they just don't know about this web site or how the internet works. And we've seen all those other schools cheat, and get away with it, so why can't we follow their lead? history has proven both Purdue 's mens and womens teams have broken the rules before. Why can't we break the rules to actually win? if you're going to cheat and lose scholarships and coaches, you should cheat to win.

Purdue tried it your way for the past 70 years. Maybe they should try it the Knight, Calipari or Pitino way.

as for me and my real ambitions, Purdue athletics is rather low on my priorities in life. I'm more academia than athletics. I'm a member of the PMO, not JPC. .
I'm happy to hear it's not THE most important thing in your life as that would be kind of sad. I'm not a spring chicken but I am not into retirement age yet so maybe my point of view is different.

With age should come wisdom. And with wisdom should come perspective.

Why would a mature adult obsess over whether a group of kids win a basketball tournament "for him"? Rather than advanced age, is the real problem a lack of personal life accomplishments? I know many IU fans who have never accomplished anything in their lives. Their idea of meeting a goal is eating the worm after polishing off a bottle of tequila. They are genuinely proud of that. But when their basketball (or ND football) team is winning, they see themselves as elites in their society.

With age should come wisdom. And with wisdom should come perspective.

Why would a mature adult obsess over whether a group of kids win a basketball tournament "for him"? Rather than advanced age, is the real problem a lack of personal life accomplishments? I know many IU fans who have never accomplished anything in their lives. Their idea of meeting a goal is eating the worm after polishing off a bottle of tequila. They are genuinely proud of that. But when their basketball (or ND football) team is winning, they see themselves as elites in their society.

easy answer. I don't live in Indiana. and being in the military, I've moved around a lot. When you're trying to make new friends, frequently the conversation turns to sports. Right now I live in the heart of St Louis Cardinals Country, and I' m a brewers fan. I used to live in the heart of Texas, Oklahoma, Alabama, UWis, Georgia, Florida and THEE OSU country. And when they ask, and I say Purdue, they kind of laugh and boast about their own schools. and the conversation dies quickly.

it's a lot different if you live in Indiana. You can argue all day long with IU and Notre Dame fans. and that argument will be fun spirited, and will be lasting. But when you live in the heart of SEC country or in Texas or elsewhere in the country, and you can't talk about your military job because it's classified, and you were pro Obama and Hillary, that leaves you either talking to yourself, or on an internet Purdue Sports forum. Even Si boiler doesn't talk or hang out with me, and we live in the same small town of Carterville.

my life doesn't revolve around Purdue sports. but if I want to talk about college sports, and if I mention Purdue, it would be nice to brag - the rest of the outside world thinks Purdue chokes a lot. it's easy to talk about Purdue choking on this board, but not so easy when talking to an Alabama fan. they don't believe basketball is a real sport. Even if you start the conversation about baseball or the NFL, their reply is about Alabama football. I challenge you, take a vacation outside of Indiana and start a conversation about sports. I live that every day. It would be nice to have some sort of a comebacker

College athletics is more than just a game. It's a culture in the South. And it can actually make a difference in getting a job - especially if you're a liberal Yankee.

I'm right there age wise. I've suffered some pain in some losses, but I have never needed a tourney win for me. I've wanted it for the players...I've wanted it so it is done and others may be content. I love Purdue...love the game adn may have missed one of two games in person or TV in over 40 years. Many times I see them more than once, but no ball game begins to describe Purdue, my friends from Purdue, and the life it has afforded me. All that said...I too would like more success athletically as I would academically...even though Purdue is pretty darn good at both. Many of my most fond years were at Purdue

I get your point, but lets not use a broad brush. I am actually the opposite. As I age I focus more on things that are more important. Of course I'd love to see Purdue win a champ or two before I die, but truthfully, I am enjoying watching my kids succeed much more.

You mention turning into a bitter old man. I've always had the philosophy that as folks age, they take one of two paths: get more bitter, or more happy/appreciative.

I love the passion for Purdue from many folks, but I don't understand why people continue to get so involved if it is a constant source of frustration. So much more out there to do that is not a source of stress.

Reactions: Dakota Girl
I think a lot of you guys take this too serious when some of us guys say we want to win a National Championship. But is that priority number one in my life no living life to the fullest and watching my kids become young adults. But when I'm talking Sports yes I would love to see Purdue win a National Title more than anything.

The thing is, this is a Purdue basketball sports forum! When I first started posting here somebody asked what I did for a living! I'm not making that mistake again!

easy answer. I don't live in Indiana. and being in the military, I've moved around a lot. When you're trying to make new friends, frequently the conversation turns to sports. Right now I live in the heart of St Louis Cardinals Country, and I' m a brewers fan. I used to live in the heart of Texas, Oklahoma, Alabama, UWis, Georgia, Florida and THEE OSU country. And when they ask, and I say Purdue, they kind of laugh and boast about their own schools. and the conversation dies quickly.

it's a lot different if you live in Indiana. You can argue all day long with IU and Notre Dame fans. and that argument will be fun spirited, and will be lasting. But when you live in the heart of SEC country or in Texas or elsewhere in the country, and you can't talk about your military job because it's classified, and you were pro Obama and Hillary, that leaves you either talking to yourself, or on an internet Purdue Sports forum. Even Si boiler doesn't talk or hang out with me, and we live in the same small town of Carterville.

my life doesn't revolve around Purdue sports. but if I want to talk about college sports, and if I mention Purdue, it would be nice to brag - the rest of the outside world thinks Purdue chokes a lot. it's easy to talk about Purdue choking on this board, but not so easy when talking to an Alabama fan. they don't believe basketball is a real sport. Even if you start the conversation about baseball or the NFL, their reply is about Alabama football. I challenge you, take a vacation outside of Indiana and start a conversation about sports. I live that every day. It would be nice to have some sort of a comebacker

College athletics is more than just a game. It's a culture in the South. And it can actually make a difference in getting a job - especially if you're a liberal Yankee.

Most of my professional career I worked in Texas, Louisiana, California, Illinois, and Michigan. I have also worked on three other continents -- lived in Europe for a stint. I never, ever cared what other people thought about Purdue athletics. Again, I don't identify my self-worth with college kids playing games. I thoroughly enjoy it for what it is, and I have no expectation of how it should reflect on my professional skills or me as a person.

P.S. I am proud of the fact that no matter where I go, people know about Purdue's academics. That is what gets you a job. If you are relying on the performance of your school's football team to get you a job, then sign up for a correspondence course at Alabama and tell everyone you are a Tide Roller or whatever the hell they call themselves.

purdue, like nearly every D1 school, still has chosen to place a premium on athletics, as seen by the pay to coaches compared with faculty and administration

purdue, like nearly every D1 school, still has chosen to place a premium on athletics, as seen by the pay to coaches compared with faculty and administration

honest question - do we know of any D1 schools that pay their bball headcoach less than Purdue, but has gotten better results in the Keady/Painter era?

honest question - do we know of any D1 schools that pay their bball headcoach less than Purdue, but has gotten better results in the Keady/Painter era?

better overall W/L%, in conference, in tourney?

not sure about the 90s salaries, but more recent comparables could be

wisconsin - gard is 1.7m, and ryan was typically lower than others, up to 2m before final 4s, 2.9 after.

syracuse - 2.1m
north carolina - 2m
gonzaga - 1.6m
xavier - 1.4m
butler - 1.2m (stevens)
Connecticut - 1.6m calhoun, 1.2m ollie before title, 2.8m ollie after title

Reactions: hoosierdog1
Most of my professional career I worked in Texas, Louisiana, California, Illinois, and Michigan. I have also worked on three other continents -- lived in Europe for a stint. I never, ever cared what other people thought about Purdue athletics. Again, I don't identify my self-worth with college kids playing games. I thoroughly enjoy it for what it is, and I have no expectation of how it should reflect on my professional skills or me as a person.

P.S. I am proud of the fact that no matter where I go, people know about Purdue's academics. That is what gets you a job. If you are relying on the performance of your school's football team to get you a job, then sign up for a correspondence course at Alabama and tell everyone you are a Tide Roller or whatever the hell they call themselves.
Perfect. If the day comes that I say my self worth is dependent on kids I don't even know wining a ball game, shoot me because I have totally lost it. If your schools football performance has any impact on employment you are either a coach or an AD or you are in a business that has some mighty shallow evaluation standards.:confused:

Reactions: BoilerAndy and BBG
not so easy when talking to an Alabama fan. they don't believe basketball is a real sport. Even if you start the conversation about baseball or the NFL, their reply is about Alabama football. I challenge you, take a vacation outside of Indiana and start a conversation about sports. I live that every day. It would be nice to have some sort of a comebacker

Easy Wolegib, just bring up that Purdue and Alabama are the only schools that has produced three different SuperBowl MVP quarterbacks, and start talking about Bob Griese's 17-0 Dolphins, or Brees' work in helping to rebuild New Orleans

If you do it right, you've just gained a new Alabaman friend

Reactions: BoilerAndy

Per my experience, Penn State grads get very important positions in the work place and are bland after that. It must be the football team!

Xavier just offered 1 more C prospect........Jake Walter.

Hope that's a good sign for us with Mr. Castleton.....

Boiler Up!

Reactions: Dakota Girl
Outside of this forum, I very rarely talk about Purdue sports. On this forum, I talk about Purdue sports and rarely talk about my job or life.

My life doesn't revolve around Purdue sports, but since this a Purdue sports forum, I do my best to try to fit in. Sort of like Frazier Crane of Cheers. So, anybody here want to talk about the upcoming solar eclipse?

I'm not a troll, just a seeker of information, and conversation.

Reactions: tjreese
I'm happy to hear it's not THE most important thing in your life as that would be kind of sad. I'm not a spring chicken but I am not into retirement age yet so maybe my point of view is different.
I'm retiring September 30 and a championship is no longer nearly as important as it once was. I'd enjoy it but years of good health, family, friends and adventure in the future are much more important at this point.

I hate to say it but I see Double Secret Probation in your immediate future!!!
I hate to say it but I see Double Secret Probation in your immediate future!!!

cone.jpg

is there something that says you can't post KHC stuff on the free board? What if yo u go to the original source? and quote that rather than KHC ?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT