ADVERTISEMENT

Coaches using no bowl game to their portal advantage

Nov 5, 2002
The more I think about it and see players all over the country entering the portal before Dec 4th, I think the schools not prepping for a conference championship or a bowl game have a distinct advantage. We are obviously seeing a lot of Purdue players entering the portal, but this could be a big opportunity to upgrade our talent. Additionally, I would like to see Hudson Card help bring in in some high level RB, WR talent from the state of TX.

Reactions: ImRonBurgandy?
Agreed.

Just not seeing a lot of overall benefit of playing in a bowl like past years.

Starting next year, unless you're in the top 12 its going to be like the NIT in basketball...in which who cares.

Agreed.

Just not seeing a lot of overall benefit of playing in a bowl like past years.

Starting next year, unless you're in the top 12 its going to be like the NIT in basketball...in which who cares.
I think the main point of a bowl for years has been to have an excuse for the fan base to go someplace warm (or fun). I'd argue that some of mid-level bowls have always been like the NIT.

I started saying this towards the middle of the season. No bowl game actually I think is somewhat of an advantage for this year. Going forward not so much but for this year specifically focusing 100% on recruiting the TP and retention was most likely needed

I think the main point of a bowl for years has been to have an excuse for the fan base to go someplace warm (or fun). I'd argue that some of mid-level bowls have always been like the NIT.
When they let everyone have 15 practices and schedule a January scrimmage I will stop caring about bowls at all

Reactions: pboiler18
I started saying this towards the middle of the season. No bowl game actually I think is somewhat of an advantage for this year. Going forward not so much but for this year specifically focusing 100% on recruiting the TP and retention was most likely needed
2 of our last 3 bowl games provided no advantage whatsoever. The extra practice sessions cannot offset what the public and potential recruits witnessed

2 of our last 3 bowl games provided no advantage whatsoever. The extra practice sessions cannot offset what the public and potential recruits witnessed
The butt whipping by 2 SEC teams in 2 bowl games showed that we did not have the players we needed to truly compete.

Reactions: goboilers2
FL RB Etienne is in the portal, but he'll have every SEC team lined up trying to get him.
We need help all over the offense. line, RB, WR. The only really bright spot is TE. Lot of playing time and starting positions open.

FL RB Etienne is in the portal, but he'll have every SEC team lined up trying to get him.
We need help all over the offense. line, RB, WR. The only really bright spot is TE. Lot of playing time and starting positions open.
wonder if Miller considers a 5th yr

I had friends on the team in the 90's. The players love the bowls because they get to go to somewhere warm and get a ton of swag gift bags too. Most players arent going to the NFL, so the bowl game is a reward for most of the team.

There's no way. He was carted off in the season finale. He already was barely physically able to play, and pretty much was shaken up every time he was tackled. He's done.

There's no way. He was carted off in the season finale. He already was barely physically able to play, and pretty much was shaken up every time he was tackled. He's done.
well if that's the case, what's so bright about the TE position in ref to some posters here.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT