ADVERTISEMENT

Coaches definitely worse than Paint: Steve Alford

I doubt if he would have locked the state down.You believing that is just a theory.Kids in High School today dont remember as a player and at no point in his career was he real impressive as a coach.In Big Ten games at Iowa,he had a losing record and coached his various teams to 11 NCAA tournement berths in 23 seasons.Whoppee!

He doesn't carry the image now like he did when Knight was fired. Had he been Knights or Davis replacement, he would have carried the state for a while. I'm very confident of that.

just curious...… I saw it mentioned a couple of times. You say Alford made it to the Sweet 16 3 times in the last 5 years. he's constantly recruiting 4 and 5 * players. but yo u expect his next job to be some mid Division 1 school.

So I'll ask, what's a mid division 1 school? a school that hasn't been to the final 4 in over 40 years? A school that has signed 2 5 * recruits in the past 40 years? a team with 3 conference championships in the past 20 years? When we're talking about mid level schools, I want to know the definition of mediocrity.

the thing is, if he were to come back to the BIG 10, with his recruiting ability, that school would not be a mid level school very long. While UCLA wasn't impressed, if he were coaching OSU or northwestern, or IU, that loft y school purdue would probably be looking u p in the standings to where his school is.

I think some of you are allowing your Purdue/IU bias block your objectivity of how good or bad of a coach Alford actually is.
You are aware he was at Iowa? He had some struggles there. He has never performed as well as he did in Manchester,IN

just curious...… I saw it mentioned a couple of times. You say Alford made it to the Sweet 16 3 times in the last 5 years. he's constantly recruiting 4 and 5 * players. but yo u expect his next job to be some mid Division 1 school.

So I'll ask, what's a mid division 1 school? a school that hasn't been to the final 4 in over 40 years? A school that has signed 2 5 * recruits in the past 40 years? a team with 3 conference championships in the past 20 years? When we're talking about mid level schools, I want to know the definition of mediocrity.

the thing is, if he were to come back to the BIG 10, with his recruiting ability, that school would not be a mid level school very long. While UCLA wasn't impressed, if he were coaching OSU or northwestern, or IU, that loft y school purdue would probably be looking u p in the standings to where his school is.

I think some of you are allowing your Purdue/IU bias block your objectivity of how good or bad of a coach Alford actually is.
If this is in response to me, I said mid P5. I think he would do well at a place like Minnesota.

I see what you did there. :) You've painted some folks into a corner and you'll likely be personally attacked for this. LOL

I've been around a lot longer than many posters here realize. I read a lot more posts than I reply to. Even in his good years, people on this forum tended to bash Alford as a total loser.

I'm not a huge IU fan. but I have graduated from other schools not named Purdue. And I have seen a lot of IU hatred shared on this board. it's not healthy.

I recall my days as an instructor at Auburn. the stories the faculty would tell about their football coach. he could go 9-2, but if a certain influential alumni wasn't happy, he would be fired. and low and behold, I was amazed, because he was! neither Bowden or Pat Dye were good enough.

I've been a UCLA fan since the Wooden days. and yes, as a child, I rooted for UCLA when they played Purdue in the championship. UCLA is a very tough coaching gig. it's hard to replace a legend. I saw Larry Brown leave. I saw Tubby Smith leave UK. I feel bad for whomever replaces Izzo or Coach K.

How much success must a coach have to keep his job? I'm kind of concerned because that's the profession my son is going into when he graduates this year. In 5 years of Division 1 track and field, he has played for 3 different head coaches. I sure hope he likes to travel and isn't interested in buying a house.

If this is in response to me, I said mid P5. I think he would do well at a place like Minnesota.

in basketball a mid level division 1 school is as good as a mid p5 school. Neither Creighton or Marquette are P5 schools. I could see Alford going to either and having just as much success as if he went to a power 5 school. Alford wasn't bad at Iowa, just not as good as some people expected. I always liked Weber - a lot more than Painter. Who is the better coach ?

Would Alford be successful at Dayton, DePaul, Butler or Wichita St ? I think he would.

in basketball a mid level division 1 school is as good as a mid p5 school. Neither Creighton or Marquette are P5 schools. I could see Alford going to either and having just as much success as if he went to a power 5 school. Alford wasn't bad at Iowa, just not as good as some people expected. I always liked Weber - a lot more than Painter. Who is the better coach ?

Would Alford be successful at Dayton, DePaul, Butler or Wichita St ? I think he would.
He would fine at Marquette and Creighton. When I think of mid D1 programs, I think of programs in the 100-200 range. I think he's better than that, but not a top 40 coach.

I dont think either Purdue or IU want Alford at Butler. Not because he would beat them consistently, but he would get some players from the state that Butler doesn't normally get.

Penn State and Maryland could be good landing spots for him as well.

He would fine at Marquette and Creighton. When I think of mid D1 programs, I think of programs in the 100-200 range. I think he's better than that, but not a top 40 coach.

I dont think either Purdue or IU want Alford at Butler. Not because he would beat them consistently, but he would get some players from the state that Butler doesn't normally get.

Penn State and Maryland could be good landing spots for him as well.
My guess....Butler will be looking for a new coach next year.

Alford wasn't that good at Iowa either LOL

I've been around a lot longer than many posters here realize. I read a lot more posts than I reply to. Even in his good years, people on this forum tended to bash Alford as a total loser.

I'm not a huge IU fan. but I have graduated from other schools not named Purdue. And I have seen a lot of IU hatred shared on this board. it's not healthy.

I recall my days as an instructor at Auburn. the stories the faculty would tell about their football coach. he could go 9-2, but if a certain influential alumni wasn't happy, he would be fired. and low and behold, I was amazed, because he was! neither Bowden or Pat Dye were good enough.

I've been a UCLA fan since the Wooden days. and yes, as a child, I rooted for UCLA when they played Purdue in the championship. UCLA is a very tough coaching gig. it's hard to replace a legend. I saw Larry Brown leave. I saw Tubby Smith leave UK. I feel bad for whomever replaces Izzo or Coach K.

How much success must a coach have to keep his job? I'm kind of concerned because that's the profession my son is going into when he graduates this year. In 5 years of Division 1 track and field, he has played for 3 different head coaches. I sure hope he likes to travel and isn't interested in buying a house.
Alford hosuld have stayed at New Mexico.

As of the part I bolded....

Alford had a losing record(B10) at Iowa. You are not keeping your job, doing that. He was 61-67. He missed the NCAAT 5 times in is his 8 seasons at Iowa. You are not keeping your job, doing that. Not even at Iowa.

At UCLA, Alford had an abundance of talent. Preseason, Top 10 teams. None of those teams ever lived up to their hype. No conference titles(reg. season). Though he did go to 4 NCAAT in his 5 full seasons, he never advanced past the SW 16. In his 3rd season, UCLA went 15-17. That ain't cutting it at UCLA. MOF, none of what I typed is.

Soto anser your question----Just tell your son to do the opposite of Alford, and he'll be just fine. Probably get to live in that new house a tad longer.

Alford hosuld have stayed at New Mexico.

As of the part I bolded....

Alford had a losing record(B10) at Iowa. You are not keeping your job, doing that. He was 61-67. He missed the NCAAT 5 times in is his 8 seasons at Iowa. You are not keeping your job, doing that. Not even at Iowa.

At UCLA, Alford had an abundance of talent. Preseason, Top 10 teams. None of those teams ever lived up to their hype. No conference titles(reg. season). Though he did go to 4 NCAAT in his 5 full seasons, he never advanced past the SW 16. In his 3rd season, UCLA went 15-17. That ain't cutting it at UCLA. MOF, none of what I typed is.

Soto anser your question----Just tell your son to do the opposite of Alford, and he'll be just fine. Probably get to live in that new house a tad longer.
I'm guessing Steve has been blessed with many new homes. I'm guessing he'll be blessed again, and soon with another new one. You Alford haters make him out to be a whole lot worse than he is. His overall record is better than Lil' Arch's, it's better than Crean's, it's better than Davis'....and you loved them.

Done at UCLA.

What a bum, kept falling up. Outrageous he got that job and still ended being an absolute disaster.

At end of day whose better Stevie or Pat Knight?

Matt Painter has made the tournament in 11 of his 14 years. Hes won at least one game in the tournament in 8 of those 11 years.

Alford has made the tournament in only half (9 of 18) of his years. Hes won at least one game in the tournament in only 5 of those years.

Thats pretty bad and unacceptable. Not as bad as Archie Miller though.

Archie Miller is in his 8th year of coaching. Hes made the tournament only 4 times and has won at least one game there in only 2 of those years.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
Really? I have to tell you, Archie is the only hire that I've really felt worried about. I've laughed at all of them since Knight. This one has me concerned. I think he's good.
Happy New Year! I agree that Lil' Arch may bring some respect back to IU, he's no Knight nor is he even a Kelvin Sampson as far as coaching goes. He's a snake oil salesman just like his brother and tells these young kids what they want to hear....true or not.

He would do well at Butler.

Safe to say Butler would want nothing to do with him. As to Creighton, Marquette and Butler being in discussion as mid-level programs due to conference affiliation, since realignment the BE has finished higher than the Big10 all but one year. Probably better examples of mid-level programs out there.

Safe to say Butler would want nothing to do with him. As to Creighton, Marquette and Butler being in discussion as mid-level programs due to conference affiliation, since realignment the BE has finished higher than the Big10 all but one year. Probably better examples of mid-level programs out there.
You have no clue about Butler and Alford. Steve's coaching would fit right in at Butler, but I'd also like to see Mike Lewis get his shot somewhere.

Alford/Butler are purely conjecture on out parts.

You have no clue about Butler and Alford. Steve's coaching would fit right in at Butler, but I'd also like to see Mike Lewis get his shot somewhere.

Alford/Butler are purely conjecture on out parts.

I do have a clue as does anyone who’s paid even the slightest attention to Butler while Collier’s been the AD. He keeps it in the family. Everyone he’s hired was a Butler guy, either as a player or as an AC. Alford’s image is not aligned with the Butler brand. This isn’t about what kind of coach he’d be, its about if he’d even get a call—he wouldn’t.

Reactions: Schnelk
I'm guessing Steve has been blessed with many new homes. I'm guessing he'll be blessed again, and soon with another new one. You Alford haters make him out to be a whole lot worse than he is. His overall record is better than Lil' Arch's, it's better than Crean's, it's better than Davis'....and you loved them.
How do you know so much about me.....? Oh, wait....You don't.

1. Didn't like Crean. At all. Awful hire.

2. You are right---I did like Davis. I actually think Davis was a heck of a coach. Just a guy way in over his head. I'd take Davis over Alford 7 days a week, and twice on Sunday's. Not to mention he's 10X's the person that Alford is/was.

3. Love Miller.

I would hope Alfords overall record is better than Millers. Steve's been coaching for 22 years......Miller 8... BTW, 8 years into his coaching Career, Alford was 150-106, 2 NCAAT's. Miller is 166-80, 4 NCAAT and an Elite 8. So...........................

I'm not an Alford hater. I just don't think he's a very good coach. Never been pst a SW 16 in his career. Losing record in the Big 10, at Iowa(61-67). No regular season conference titles. Severely underachieved at UCLA, even though he had THREE, TOP 5 recruiting classes. Just a meh, coach.

Reactions: herrli
Done at UCLA.

What a bum, kept falling up. Outrageous he got that job and still ended being an absolute disaster.

Hilarious pie-in-the-sky list of candidates by Dakich on Twitter. Twitter users are adding to the list with suggestions like Phil Jackson, Red Auerbach, and James Naismith.

Reactions: NC_Trojan10

Hilarious pie-in-the-sky list of candidates by Dakich on Twitter. Twitter users are adding to the list with suggestions like Phil Jackson, Red Auerbach, and James Naismith.
I don’t think Pitino is pie in the sky at all. He’s coaching some nothing Euro team in Greece, right? He’d drop that gig for UCLA in a heartbeat. Not sure Cal would be interested, but it’s plausible. He’s had celebrities and the like at BBM, so I could see him being enticed by the LA atmosphere and selling that to recruits. And it’s not like idiot UK fans haven’t been pissed at him for not winning more (which is borderline stupid but it’s happening). And he’s flirted with NBA options a couple times, so it doesn’t seem like he’s wedded to UK either. All that said, don’t know how realistic it is for UCLA to double its current basketball budget to pay him what UK is.

Wondered the same thing but let’s say he does, do you take a chance on him? I say no. He basically spurned us 3 times so no thanks.

He doesnt seem like a guy who will ever be even passable on defense due to size/ego/effort. Hard pass.

I don’t think Pitino is pie in the sky at all. He’s coaching some nothing Euro team in Greece, right? He’d drop that gig for UCLA in a heartbeat. Not sure Cal would be interested, but it’s plausible. He’s had celebrities and the like at BBM, so I could see him being enticed by the LA atmosphere and selling that to recruits. And it’s not like idiot UK fans haven’t been pissed at him for not winning more (which is borderline stupid but it’s happening). And he’s flirted with NBA options a couple times, so it doesn’t seem like he’s wedded to UK either. All that said, don’t know how realistic it is for UCLA to double its current basketball budget to pay him what UK is.
I would think Pitino comes with some NCAA concerns at this point, and they have never shown the willingness to pay anywhere close to what the other guys on that list would require.

And Kerr is an Arizona grad for Pete’s sake.

He doesnt seem like a guy who will ever be even passable on defense due to size/ego/effort. Hard pass.
What about him - would you take him?

If he ends up at Missouri - I will have to question Zo’s tactics.

What about him - would you take him?

If he ends up at Missouri - I will have to question Zo’s tactics.

Doubt hed ever play behind Tre Williams, who will likely end up playing 30+ minutes per game as early as next season. Not sure it would even make sense to go after him with Dowuonna redshirting as well.

Done at UCLA.

If you compare CMP & CSA the last 14 years, they are actually very similar.

SA missed the tournament 4 times
MP missed 3 times.

SA won 6 conference or conference tournaments
MP won 3

Neither past the S16

Looks to me like UCLA has higher expectations that Purdue.

So's the $100K to Romeo's papa.
you're not very smart are you? Before you reply you think Steve Alford is a good coach, enough said. I am a 47 year old IU fan and I know no one under 65 that wanted Alford for the mere fact he is an average coach. News flash in most instances average when your getting above average wages is NOT ACCEPTABLE hence he is in the unemployment line.

Last edited:

What are you talking about? Talent/recruiting only means so much. Recruiting to a school like UCLA is not difficult, not sure why you think he'd do so much better in the Big Ten? Purdue's finished above schools with more talent than them nearly every year. People on this board are flipping obsessed with recruiting rankings and random benchmarks.

You try to put labels on everything. Steve Alford's label is a mediocre coach.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT