ADVERTISEMENT

Cmon CP

hamcoboiler

Redshirt Freshman
Mar 29, 2013
How do you take Furst and Gillis completely out of the second half?

He built this roster and deserves credit, but to not play Furst the whole second half makes no sense. It’s not like anyone had an answer for Harper. Might as well play your best lineup.

Reactions: Pharmer98
How do you take Furst and Gillis completely out of the second half?

He built this roster and deserves credit, but to not play Furst the whole second half makes no sense. It’s not like anyone had an answer for Harper. Might as well play your best lineup.
I agree completely. Furst had a rough 1st half. No problem sitting him for a while, but whole 2nd half? Mistake.

Furst gave us ZERO in 9 minutes in first half and I mean ZERO in all stat categories, plus giving up points on D. As a frosh, you gotta show something to earn minutes.

Reactions: BoilerMadness
I agree completely. Furst had a rough 1st half. No problem sitting him for a while, but whole 2nd half? Mistake.

You must be unfamiliar with Matt Painter's coaching philosophy. If you are a freshmen and you make any mistake, you are immediately getting pulled and buried at the end of the bench. If you are an upperclassman and make the same mistakes for 3/4 years (looking at you Hunter), not only do you not get pulled when you make a mistake, you generally get to play in the final minutes of the game. Carsen and Ivey are about the only two I can remember who have consistently gotten any leash when underclassman.

Reactions: BSIT and Dryfly88
Furst gave us ZERO in 9 minutes in first half and I mean ZERO in all stat categories, plus giving up points on D. As a frosh, you gotta show something to earn minutes.
If you are going to sit players for the whole 2nd half based on play in a part of the 1st half, then you will be sitting a lot of guys. There have been so many times that players struggle early, sit for a while and then come in and contribute. To not play him AT ALL in 2nd half was a mistake. You let him sit for a while and then give him some more minutes and see how he responds. It's not like anybody else was doing a great job tonight.

If you are going to sit players for the whole 2nd half based on play in a part of the 1st half, then you will be sitting a lot of guys. There have been so many times that players struggle early, sit for a while and then come in and contribute. To not play him AT ALL in 2nd half was a mistake. You let him sit for a while and then give him some more minutes and see how he responds. It's not like anybody else was doing a great job tonight.
Yeah, he couldn’t have played any worse D on Harper than we did with the other guys.

You must be unfamiliar with Matt Painter's coaching philosophy. If you are a freshmen and you make any mistake, you are immediately getting pulled and buried at the end of the bench. If you are an upperclassman and make the same mistakes for 3/4 years (looking at you Hunter), not only do you not get pulled when you make a mistake, you generally get to play in the final minutes of the game. Carsen and Ivey are about the only two I can remember who have consistently gotten any leash when underclassman.
I know Matt's philosophy very well and what I saw from Furst in first half, I was pretty sure he would not play or very little in 2nd.

If you remember last year, early in year, there were games where Ivey did not play a lot.

As for Hunter, he hit 2 3's tonite and had ZERO turnovers, and 2 steals, what was your issue with him?? Isiah was hurting and could not go long.

Were you watching? Harper scored his points early in game on Furst and Gillis, Morton came in at end of 1st and slowed him down and then Harper did not score in 2nd half till 2 minutes left in game with Morton on him most of that time.
Harper was on the bench for a weirdly long chunk of the second half. The announcers made multiple references to why Rutgers was leaving him on the bench so long. Last time I checked, pretty hard to score from the bench.

• Haha
Reactions: Russ Ford
Harper was on the bench for a weirdly long chunk of the second half. The announcers made multiple references to why Rutgers was leaving him on the bench so long. Last time I checked, pretty hard to score from the bench.
Box score shows Harper played 38 minutes tonight!!!! Was on the bench for long time? Do u make up this stuff?

Were you watching? Harper scored his points early in game on Furst and Gillis, Morton came in at end of 1st and slowed him down and then Harper did not score in 2nd half till 2 minutes left in game with Morton on him most of that time.
Harper had 3 jumpers and 2 FT's inside the 7 minute mark not counting the buzzer beater. Don't think Morton did that bad of a job on him but Harper is a mismatch for anyone on our roster and would've preferred to double off one of their non-shooters.

Harper had 3 jumpers and 2 FT's inside the 7 minute mark not counting the buzzer beater. Don't think Morton did that bad of a job on him but Harper is a mismatch for anyone on our roster and would've preferred to double off one of their non-shooters.
I would not argue that. I was just saying Morton did better job than Gillis and Furst did on him.

No argument, Morton played well on him. I think he was gassed towards the end though and needed a break.

I know Matt's philosophy very well and what I saw from Furst in first half, I was pretty sure he would not play or very little in 2nd.

If you remember last year, early in year, there were games where Ivey did not play a lot.

As for Hunter, he hit 2 3's tonite and had ZERO turnovers, and 2 steals, what was your issue with him?? Isiah was hurting and could not go long.

Umm . . . you do realize that you are making my point, right? My point was that Furst getting buried in the second half was consistent with how CMP treats young players. Yes, you are correct Ivey played little early last year, but it was because he was hurt (https://www.jconline.com/story/spor...eshman-jaden-ivey-against-clemson/6434556002/). By the end of the year, he had as much rope as Carsen did.

I don't have an issue with Hunter other than the fact he consistently does not play with intensity. I guess Robbie and I are both wrong headed in thinking that he is far too frequently careless with the ball (exhibit A, see Iowa game).

Umm . . . you do realize that you are making my point, right? My point was that Furst getting buried in the second half was consistent with how CMP treats young players. Yes, you are correct Ivey played little early last year, but it was because he was hurt (https://www.jconline.com/story/spor...eshman-jaden-ivey-against-clemson/6434556002/). By the end of the year, he had as much rope as Carsen did.

I don't have an issue with Hunter other than the fact he consistently does not play with intensity. I guess Robbie and I are both wrong headed in thinking that he is far too frequently careless with the ball (exhibit A, see Iowa game).
Iowa game he definitely was, if IT was healthy he would have been pulled, tonite I thought he was ok. Actually happy that he hit a couple of 3's , thought that would help his confidence. Sorry , I did make your point, I meant to reply to poster that wondered how he could keep Furst out all 2nd.

Box score shows Harper played 38 minutes tonight!!!! Was on the bench for long time? Do u make up this stuff?
37 not 38. but I stand corrected. Robbie noted that he was out for a prolonged period during the Purdue run in the second half when the lead got extended to 10. Seemed like he was out longer, but I was wrong.

Most folks hyping Furst for good reason based on rebounding, hustle and timely threes missed his total inability to stay in front of people. He had trouble vs much lesser people than Harper. And yes I said so before. If I saw it, Painter knew it too and when Harper owned him he got pulled.

Having said that, spotting him or Ivy in spots ( Ie for rebounds on Rutgers free throws) and resting Morton a bit could have helped.

Reactions: Boiler8285
Morton did OK. But did he do well enough to offset his lack of offensive firepower?

Hunter has been stalling the offense when he gets the ball. The clock runs down and we have to force shots. At this present time, our 3pt shooters are not getting many open opportunities.

Morton is better for the flow of the offense than Hunter right now. Morton gets the ball where it needs to go without wasting so much time dribbling and is seemingly just as good or maybe even moreso of a 3-pt shooter on open looks.
That's my question why does EH almost always stop bringing the ball up 35-40 feet from the basket and just dribble for like 10 seconds? Hell he isn't even close enough to even make a pass into the post.

Reactions: IUhaterade
That's my question why does EH almost always stop bringing the ball up 35-40 feet from the basket and just dribble for like 10 seconds? Hell he isn't even close enough to even make a pass into the post.
That's a really good question. I'd like to know too. It's really strange

Going into this game Purdue had the best offense in the country. Painter completely modified the rotations because Ron Harper Jr. was having a good game.

I will never understand when a coach doesn't play to their strengths and instead adjusts to their opponents. It is completely illogical to me.

Why would you ever take away your strength? Why not stay with the same rotation and try someone else on Ron Harper Jr?

Purdue played Rutgers as though they were the number 1 team in the country.

He's not a pg.
Never was.
Some adjust better.
Some don't.

Reactions: atmafola
morton has given zero on offense all season and did nothing in this game. Harper still got his and Painter negated our most important asset which is depth. What if a fresh Gillis was guarding Harper at the end of the game?

Reactions: atmafola
morton has given zero on offense all season and did nothing in this game. Harper still got his and Painter negated our most important asset which is depth. What if a fresh Gillis was guarding Harper at the end of the game?
Agree 100%. Use your depth at this point in the season. No one was going to shut down Harper, but I would have continued to throw some different looks at him. I also think Furst and Gillis would have forced Rutgers to make some defensive adjustments as well.

Reactions: Boiler8285
Morton is better for the flow of the offense than Hunter right now. Morton gets the ball where it needs to go without wasting so much time dribbling and is seemingly just as good or maybe even moreso of a 3-pt shooter on open looks.
Agree. My only issue with Morton is the role he’s being put in. He’s kind of the Grady Eifert, do a little of everything, bring the intangibles guy right now. I would rather Painter just let him run the offense. He was recruited as a PG I think. Can he be one or not?

Agree. My only issue with Morton is the role he’s being put in. He’s kind of the Grady Eifert, do a little of everything, bring the intangibles guy right now. I would rather Painter just let him run the offense. He was recruited as a PG I think. Can he be one or not?
He’s not a PG. The people on here who think he should playing PG are crazy.

I don’t diagree with that. Let him run the show so you can still have 4 other scorers on the floor.
Morton
Ivey
Newman or Sasha (I like Newman better as a starter- think Sasha can add instant offense from the bench more than Newman does.)
Furst
Edey

The knock on Morton before he even got to campus was that he struggled athletically against the better competition he faced. We might be seeing some of that concern coming to fruition.

Most on here , do not think so.

I've seen more than enough of Hunter to know he's not a point guard but can't yet draw that conclusion on Morton. He actually played PG in high school (pretty sure Hunter played off ball). Writers also spoke very highly of Morton's playmaking ability during his recruitment.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT