ADVERTISEMENT

Charlie Jones is front-runner for Biletnikoff Award

It's nice to see Charlie getting some national recognition. I remember back in the Tiller heyday guys like John Standeford and Taylor Stubblefield always seemed to get overlooked nationally because they were "system" receivers.
Exactly what I was going to say. They think he is part of the system.

Multiple "experts" thought Drew Brees's college production was due to the Tiller system, not because he was a great QB. A lot of them would deny that now probably.

If you watch Jones run how crisp his routes are, this timing and foot work, and his instincts to get open or come back to the ball, he is hardly a system WR as people would have you believe.

It's nice to see Charlie getting some national recognition. I remember back in the Tiller heyday guys like John Standeford and Taylor Stubblefield always seemed to get overlooked nationally because they were "system" receivers.
Stubby was a biletnikoff finalist in 2004. Should have won if Edwards didn’t wear the Michigan uni

Makes me wonder what will the butterfly effect will be from the Charlie Jones effect? Knowing we have a pass happy offense, top end receivers should take notice of Purdue as a path to the next level.
With Aidan O'Connell graduating, there will still be 2 if not 3 QB's in this offense that can deliver it and make someone a known commodity at WR.

I have to believe Charlie saw what we do and other WRs see what Charlie is doing and we will see other WRs going into the portal and coming to Purdue!

it also points to Iowa’s very conservative passing attack. With a different offensive philosophy they could have been a lot stronger! The talent was there and they always have a good offensive line.

it would be awesome to see somebody from a school other than OSU and Alabama win an award!

I have to believe Charlie saw what we do and other WRs see what Charlie is doing and we will see other WRs going into the portal and coming to Purdue!

it also points to Iowa’s very conservative passing attack. With a different offensive philosophy they could have been a lot stronger! The talent was there and they always have a good offensive line.

it would be awesome to see somebody from a school other than OSU and Alabama win an award!

Also - Charlie Jones and Aidan O'Connell grew up together and were friends/teammates as yutes.

Got to give some credit to O’Connell as well. He has basically shown it doesn't matter who you put out there at receiver. He's going to find who's open and get them the ball.

Outside of the inexplicable "quick kick-like interception," he made some great throws all night long....and Brohm reiterated that in his post-game comments. Some of the drops were frustrating as well.

Thankfully, in the end, the Boilers hung on and still got the victory.

Reactions: SKYDOG
Also - Charlie Jones and Aidan O'Connell grew up together and were friends/teammates as yutes.
They were?! I wonder if they played any other sports together. Like baseball or something. Probably bet that, even if they did, there isn't any photographic evidence. Plus if there was a picture, I bet a TV producer would have a tough time finding it and showing it multiple times during every game this year.

They were?! I wonder if they played any other sports together. Like baseball or something. Probably bet that, even if they did, there isn't any photographic evidence. Plus if there was a picture, I bet a TV producer would have a tough time finding it and showing it multiple times during every game this year.
Last week on tv they showed a picture of the boys on a Little League team.

Last week on tv they showed a picture of the boys on a Little League team.
giphy.gif

Stubby was a biletnikoff finalist in 2004. Should have won if Edwards didn’t wear the Michigan uni
I did not know that---or maybe I just forgot. It's hard to say which. That's getting to be a while ago.

Glad I could help out.....

200w.gif

There was a twitter thread this week basically saying that Braylon Edwards invented the forward pass for the B1G. Someone replied with a GIF of Brees laughing. Classic.

It is great for him to get the just-due recognition. I don’t understand how someone can be a system receiver when it’s not the system that helps you run good routes or catch the ball when it’s thrown your way? Or make the necessary adjustments based on how the defense is playing you. Or play when you’re banged up and figure out a way to tough it out. Keep it up Charlie!

Glad to see it. I was seeing him being excluded from mid season all american teams somehow. top five in yards, TDs, and receptions rn.

So youre son isnt a coach? I knew it.
He has a new job! He’s no longer at Miami(Ohio)! He’s now coaching at a rival school in Indiana! He was actually recruiting Standeford for track! Ha ha ha

It is great for him to get the just-due recognition. I don’t understand how someone can be a system receiver when it’s not the system that helps you run good routes or catch the ball when it’s thrown your way? Or make the necessary adjustments based on how the defense is playing you. Or play when you’re banged up and figure out a way to tough it out. Keep it up Charlie!
Exactly. That was Purdue fans' counter argument 20 years ago. If you could just plug any guy into the system, then everybody would be doing it. Those guys excelled because they were great receivers.

Reactions: jmohlman
It’s sort of like the Heisman voting. It now tends to go to the best player on the best team. Or at least on a top 5 team. If you are a tremendous player on an 8-4 team, your chances of winning awards are diminished!

It’s sort of like the Heisman voting. It now tends to go to the best player on the best team. Or at least on a top 5 team. If you are a tremendous player on an 8-4 team, your chances of winning awards are diminished!
Jordan Addison was on Alabama or Georgia?

Jordan Addison was on Alabama or Georgia?
I expected and knew you would come up with an exception to the general rule! There are armadillos In Wisconsin too! And cheeseheads living in Dallas and a Paris and Mexico in Indiana!

I’ll double down on my statement. If you are not on one of the top teams, your chances of winning the Heisman are diminished. I didn’t use the word impossible! Paul Horning once won the Heisman! Unfortunately Greise, keys, Dawson, Herrmann or Brees did not!

Last edited:
I expected and knew you would come up with an exception to the general rule! There are armadillos In Wisconsin too! And cheeseheads living in Dallas and a Paris and Mexico in Indiana!

I’ll double down on my statement. If you are not on one of the top teams, your chances of winning the Heisman are diminished. I didn’t use the word impossible! Paul Horning once won the Heisman! Neither Greise, Dawson, Herrmann or Brees did!
Best player on the best team is an exception for Biletnikoff. Or was this another one of your "jokes"?

It’s kind of like voter fraud. Yes it does exist, but not in significant numbers to make a difference

I’ll also speculate unless Purdue plays for the big ten championship the odds of any of their players winning any national award are diminished. Not impossible, but clearly not the front runner at the end of the year when votes are cast. It’s nice to be considered mid season, but votes are not made cast now. If Charlie or AOC win a national award they both need to be far and away above their competition from top ranked teams! The media sways votes!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT