ADVERTISEMENT

Celtic Wire Q: "Brad, are you interested in the Indiana Job?"

The guy took a Horizon League team to the NC game, against Duke, and should have won...lost his best player...and went back to the NC game...I am comfortable in saying I don't think that there is anyone else that could/would have done it.

Maybe he is overrated, by me as well admittedly, but, there truly is not a better HC candidate for IU for certain...and, he may be as good a candidate for literally anyone if they had a position to fill.
But he did it with underrated 2-3 star type players. Maybe this will translate when he can land the 4-5 stars and maybe not. That is, maybe he is a better coach of hard working, bring your lunch pail type players (like CMP) rather than the type of players IU has gotten the last few years. He and CMP would certainly be recruiting the same type of players.

Reactions: Poprudy
Exactly right. Thank you. People forget that he tanked after that so it begs the question whether it was the group of players or his coaching. The game has most certainly changed since he coached as well so it really isn't even an apples to apples comparison.

I hold little value in NBA coaches either because they don't do much hence why they are paid less than the players. The last NBA coach I thought really did something was Jackson.
A quick aside: If you eliminate his two years at Butler when he went to the National Championship game, his career college coaching record for the other four years at Butler was 105-34.

If he leaves the Celtics now and goes to IU, I don’t see him as a lifer there. I think he’ll be like a Pete Carroll, who still has the inner drive to prove himself at the highest level, and leaves after 6-8 years. But I’m sure IU fans would gladly take that at this point.
I just hope they don’t have the same success USC did under Carroll.

A quick aside: If you eliminate his two years at Butler when he went to the National Championship game, his career college coaching record for the other four years at Butler was 105-34.

And remember what conference that record came in, yes it really does matter.

For comparison.

124–49 (.717)
  • 4× Horizon League regular season championship
  • 2× Horizon League Tournament championship
  • 3× Horizon League Coach of the Year
And haven't heard his name mentioned for the IU job.

But he did it with underrated 2-3 star type players. Maybe this will translate when he can land the 4-5 stars and maybe not. That is, maybe he is a better coach of hard working, bring your lunch pail type players (like CMP) rather than the type of players IU has gotten the last few years. He and CMP would certainly be recruiting the same type of players.

Not sure I would completely agree with the "underrated 2-3 star players" point.

Per 24/7... Matt Howard was a 4-star player, one that Painter really wanted.
Nored, Mack, Vanzant, (Andrew) Smith were all 3-star players.
It's interesting to note, 24/7 doesn't even recognize Gordon Hayward as a recruit. He was a (Rivals) 3-star, and very much overlooked by the recruiting services (and many schools) because of his late growth in HS. (Although, Rivals indicates Purdue offered.)

There clearly is agreement: Brad Stevens is a very good coach. As has been pointed out, he made the NCAA NC game 2 years in a row.

One has to wonder, how much of it was the coaching, the team chemistry, getting the right players at the right time, and the overall atmosphere in his program. It is very, very difficult to replicate that in another environment at another time.

If IU gets him, (still VERY much in doubt, and HIGHLY unlikely, IMHO) he'll certainly be better than Clappy the Clown (Crean) and/or Arch.

Will he get them back to the NCAA FF? That's what all the IU fans are expecting. but, that's a very tall order. I tend to think it's more like they believe they're entitled, and that there's some "IU magic", and adding someone who's been there before will be the secret sauce.

It should also be noted, before going to IU Clappy also went to the Final Four with Dwayne Wade...

Yes, while I think he is a good coach, I think the the bar has been set so high for him that he could literally never reach it. Unless he wins 3 titles in a row and is undefeated in all of them. So why would he come back to fail?

Not sure I would completely agree with the "underrated 2-3 star players" point.

Per 24/7... Matt Howard was a 4-star player, one that Painter really wanted.
Nored, Mack, Vanzant, (Andrew) Smith were all 3-star players.
It's interesting to note, 24/7 doesn't even recognize Gordon Hayward as a recruit. He was a (Rivals) 3-star, and very much overlooked by the recruiting services (and many schools) because of his late growth in HS. (Although, Rivals indicates Purdue offered.)

There clearly is agreement: Brad Stevens is a very good coach. As has been pointed out, he made the NCAA NC game 2 years in a row.

One has to wonder, how much of it was the coaching, the team chemistry, getting the right players at the right time, and the overall atmosphere in his program. It is very, very difficult to replicate that in another environment at another time.

If IU gets him, (still VERY much in doubt, and HIGHLY unlikely, IMHO) he'll certainly be better than Clappy the Clown (Crean) and/or Arch.

Will he get them back to the NCAA FF? That's what all the IU fans are expecting. but, that's a very tall order. I tend to think it's more like they believe they're entitled, and that there's some "IU magic", and adding someone who's been there before will be the secret sauce.

It should also be noted, before going to IU Clappy also went to the Final Four with Dwayne Wade...
And Mike Davis did it with Knght's guys. Where is Mike Davis today?

Reactions: purdueplayer
And remember what conference that record came in, yes it really does matter.

For comparison.

124–49 (.717)
  • 4× Horizon League regular season championship
  • 2× Horizon League Tournament championship
  • 3× Horizon League Coach of the Year
And haven't heard his name mentioned for the IU job.
Oh I have. I think he’s interested.
My IU buds are hearing 10 years, 75mil. I said I hope they hire him and goes all Harbaugh.
I’m hearing 10 years and $65 million.

Lol @ Painter being a better coach than Brad Stevens.

Thankfully Stevens came to his senses and turned them down lol

If that is the case, then the chances of all the rumors being true dropped a lot. Watch they hire Fife, that would be hilarious.
A Fife hire would resemble the Painter hire in some ways. Both solid players for their respective schools, played in final fours, etc.

You smell like meth...that has Bloomington all over it. Good luck IU fan
Wow! Great detective work there. You got me! I’m definitely an IU fan, because I think a coach with two national title appearances at a mid major, and 3 NBA conference finals appearances in the last 4 years is a better coach than Painter.

Wow! Great detective work there. You got me! I’m definitely an IU fan, because I think a coach with two national title appearances at a mid major, and 3 NBA conference finals appearances in the last 4 years is a better coach than Painter.
So be a Boston Celtic fan. He's not going to IU. I know that's depressing for you. Good luck with next year. IU has a chance

Reactions: BBG
So be a Boston Celtic fan. He's not going to IU. I know that depressing for you. Good luck with next year. IU has a chance
I’m ecstatic he isn’t going to IU. There were a couple posters on here foolishly hoping he would go to IU for some reason.

As long as IU doesn’t get Beard now, I will be happy.

Sounds like you are in the group that thinks Painter is a better coach than Stevens though. Intelligent.

Reactions: seminolesboilers
Boston is playing like dogcrap right now, he might not have a choice, if he's offered 6+ million a year he's be a fool to not take the job.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT