ADVERTISEMENT

Celtic Wire Q: "Brad, are you interested in the Indiana Job?"

Evergr8ful

All-American
May 9, 2003
A: "I am not" came the blunt reply, “Listen, I’ve got a lot of friends back there, I’ve got a lot of people that are really important to me there. My dad’s still there. That does mean a lot. I won’t act like that doesn’t. Like I said earlier today, it’s flattering. But I also realize that I’m the coach of the Celtics and … it’s been an amazing opportunity, an amazing challenge every day for the last eight years.”
“I’m extremely grateful for that,” he added.

https://celticswire.usatoday.com/?p=47937

Asking for Loosier's fans everywhere "So you're saying there's a chance?"

...granted, we've seen coaches say similar things...and then be announced as the new coach within days, so I actually think "there's still a chance."

Reactions: DAG10
...granted, we've seen coaches say similar things...and then be announced as the new coach within days, so I actually think "there's still a chance."
Of course there's still a chance, all it takes is a guy like Cuban to throw a lot of money at him.

I don't know if Cuban would be allowed to do that. Not sure if I saw it here or an article, but Cuban basically buying the coach of another NBA team to coach in college is possibly considered tampering.
That’s interesting, and makes sense

Does Yeagley know something?

image.thumb.png.256d9bf9088378801db5ba366e7aae87.png

For sure fair to say that he does...

Stevens has by no means denied that he is not interested or affirmed that he is staying in Boston. Timing remains odd (and I am shocked that it would be him if they did not know that before they fired Archie), but, this has more merit I believe than not...maybe even more so now.

Last edited:
Rumors spinning around $8m+ is being offered to him. I think he could stomach recruiting for an extra ~$5m per year.

Rumors spinning around $8m+ is being offered to him. I think he could stomach recruiting for an extra ~$5m per year.
I don't even think it would take that...he obviously would not turn the $ down, but, I don't even think it would have to be $8m for him to take the job.

His taking the IU job makes way more sense in many ways than his taking the Boston job did.

I admittedly did not think it would happen...but, I am beginning to think that it just might (and, may already have per Yeagley).

Whether or not he knows something, think about how pathetic that post is. The idea of iu hiring a coach (which will be their 5th coach in the past 13 years) will “change his sporting life” is hilariously sad. He’s equating it to Michael Jordan returning to basketball. I thought iu fans being this delusional was just a meme, but it turns out there are people that draw their entire identity on a team of 18-22 year olds. Good luck to any coach that has to deal with that fan base.

I don't even think it would take that...he obviously would not turn the $ down, but, I don't even think it would have to be $8m for him to take the job.

His taking the IU job makes way more sense in many ways than his taking the Boston job did.

I admittedly did not think it would happen...but, I am beginning to think that it just might (and, may already have per Yeagley).
I stand by what I have said before that I almost hope they do hire him and have zero fear if they do. He'll be the bright shiny new thing that will make them better, but will fall short of their delusional expectations.

But then again, anyone probably will make them better compared to Archie.

I think the biggest downside is this forum will be flooded with even more delusional posts from the yester year crowd.

Reactions: TX4GB
The strangest part from my point of view would be Stevens quitting on the most prestigious team in basketball to return to IU where every coach gets fired and booed by the fans.
Will Stevens basically be locking himself out of any future job in the NBA if he quits the Celts mid season to return to college?

Yeah I think 8m is probably higher than the actual number but that's the rumor.

The strangest part from my point of view would be Stevens quitting on the most prestigious team in basketball to return to IU where every coach gets fired and booed by the fans.
Will Stevens basically be locking himself out of any future job in the NBA if he quits the Celts mid season to return to college?
That's a fair observation. You would think this would burn some bridges and if he tanks or decides to leave for the NBA, that could come back to haunt him.

I think we might be selling Brad a little short. Personally, I don't see him taking it because your family time is priceless. He and many other coaches have said it's a 24/7 job and recruiting is at an all time high. I just can't see him jumping because of the money. He also knows he would need to solidify top recruits and if he didn't he would be on the hot seat every year.

I could see him taking it if it was a place that had shown stability and loyalty to its hires like a Duke, MSU or Purdue but a contract with IU doesn't appear to be worth a lot if you want stability.

I find it weird that the guy who "gave up on a high paying career to be a volunteer coach" is all of a sudden going to be convinced to leave Boston because of more money. Especially considering he's a millionaire now. If he wanted to coach IU, I dont know why money would be an issue now.

A: "I am not" came the blunt reply, “Listen, I’ve got a lot of friends back there, I’ve got a lot of people that are really important to me there. My dad’s still there. That does mean a lot. I won’t act like that doesn’t. Like I said earlier today, it’s flattering. But I also realize that I’m the coach of the Celtics and … it’s been an amazing opportunity, an amazing challenge every day for the last eight years.”

In IU fans' defense, lots of coaches say that kind of thing right before they do the opposite. I think the chances of him going to Bloomington are small, but I don't think his statement really means much.

In IU fans' defense, lots of coaches say that kind of thing right before they do the opposite. I think the chances of him going to Bloomington are small, but I don't think his statement really means much.
Their legendary soccer coach Jerry Yeagley's tweet is what's making me think this might happen, I guarentee he's got connections. Money talks, lots of their donors are sick of losing to Purdue, if he comes it will be a home run hire. Having said that, it's not like Purdue is going to roll over, the Boilers will be fine! Those that reveled in Archie getting axed might regret that. Also, even if it's not Stevens IU is going to get a good Coach this time, can't see any way they bring in a guy like Fife, or even a Keith Smart this time.

For what it's worth, Stevens absolutely said during that interview "I am not." The interviewer's immediate words before he said that were a little more confusing than you might think.

It went:
"So you're not quitting your Celtics job to go coach Indiana is what you're telling us."
"I am not."

That's very similar, but most certainly a little different.

Their legendary soccer coach Jerry Yeagley's tweet is what's making me think this might happen, I guarentee he's got connections. Money talks, lots of their donors are sick of losing to Purdue, if he comes it will be a home run hire. Having said that, it's not like Purdue is going to roll over, the Boilers will be fine! Those that reveled in Archie getting axed might regret that. Also, even if it's not Stevens IU is going to get a good Coach this time, can't see any way they bring in a guy like Fife, or even a Keith Smart this time.
That was not a Tweet, and was not by legendary Coach Jerry Yeagley. Are you really naive enough to think that the greatest coach in the history of collegiate soccer would call some basketball hiring one of the two moments that changed his sporting life?
And that the other one would be Michael Jordan coming back?
Wow you are gullible.

Last edited:
So, let me get this straight. IU would be the only University to give him more money? IU is the only brand that would be worth jumping ship for?. No way! If he took a sinking ship....well then....good luck. I would assume more programs have tugged at him and he never jumped. Money can't be the main issue.

Reactions: BBG
If he is "coming home", the NBA or any potential return is the least of his concerns...if he is going to leave mid-season, then, he is making it clear that he intends to be a college coach, and, he has already shown himself to be great at that...should the need arise at some point for another job, hard to believe he would struggle to find one, but, also hard to believe that he does not settle in for the long haul there and perhaps end his career there.

If he is "coming home", the NBA or any potential return is the least of his concerns...if he is going to leave mid-season, then, he is making it clear that he intends to be a college coach, and, he has already shown himself to be great at that...should the need arise at some point for another job, hard to believe he would struggle to find one, but, also hard to believe that he does not settle in for the long haul there and perhaps end his career there.
Long haul because IU fans are still living in the past aka RMK. He will never be RMK at IU and that is a fact. If IU fans would stop dwelling on the past and move forward they wouldn't be in this position. Every coach is going to be compared to him and that's a recipe for disaster.

So, let me get this straight. IU would be the only University to give him more money? IU is the only brand that would be worth jumping ship for?. No way! If he took a sinking ship....well then....good luck. I would assume more programs have tugged at him and he never jumped. Money can't be the main issue.
I don't think money is an issue...to him, or for IU for that matter.

Like say, I did not think there was much to the idea of him taking the job, but, his denial was anything but a denial...it is one of few jobs that would be of interest to him...it may be the job of most interest to him.

The guy was arguable the best college coach in the country at the time that he left...he is more knowledgeable and experienced now...he is not concerned about the state of the program at a place like IU, nor the "work ahead" in fixing things.

The only issue in this case is if he is ok with leaving a job not only unfinished, but, the timing of leaving during a season...and, that all will depend on just how much interest he has in returning to college basketball.

Reactions: Poprudy
I don't think money is an issue...to him, or for IU for that matter.

Like say, I did not think there was much to the idea of him taking the job, but, his denial was anything but a denial...it is one of few jobs that would be of interest to him...it may be the job of most interest to him.

The guy was arguable the best college coach in the country at the time that he left...he is more knowledgeable and experienced now...he is not concerned about the state of the program at a place like IU, nor the "work ahead" in fixing things.

The only issue in this case is if he is ok with leaving a job not only unfinished, but, the timing of leaving during a season...and, that all will depend on just how much interest he has in returning to college basketball.
Don't you think he would've stayed? If, all of those were true. I believe the latter and he has unfinished business in the NBA. I think the college game as a whole has changed since he left and then add recruiting. You have an established CMP landing the top recruits out of Indiana and that would worry me as the next coach. IMO

Don't you think he would've stayed? If, all of those were true. I believe the latter and he has unfinished business in the NBA. I think the college game as a whole has changed since he left and then add recruiting. You have an established CMP landing the top recruits out of Indiana and that would worry me as the next coach. IMO
When he left, were there any top jobs open? He may have stayed if that were the case.

imo, his recruiting would start off on par with Juwan Howard.

Long haul because IU fans are still living in the past aka RMK. He will never be RMK at IU and that is a fact. If IU fans would stop dwelling on the past and move forward they wouldn't be in this position. Every coach is going to be compared to him and that's a recipe for disaster.
I don't think that they are being compared to him, but rather, what was accomplished by him. There are no coaches in the game that are like him...just not something that works today.

He won't be worried about being compared to RMK...quite frankly, he won't be worried about anything...just as he was not worried about anything when he left Butler to take the Celtics job.

He is a great coach...at any level...but, he was maybe the best in the game when he left college basketball, and, he is better now as a coach...if he were to return to college basketball, he will have great success...wherever it is.

Reactions: BoilerGal74
When he left, were there any top jobs open? He may have stayed if that were the case.

imo, his recruiting would start off on par with Juwan Howard.
Speculation was UCLA offered at around 3 Million. There were also a few others..UCLA being the biggest and he signed the extension at Butler.

I have no idea what his thoughts are or what motivates him...I just know that he loves coaching basketball, and, that he is very good at it.

I was surprised that he left Butler for Boston...I did not think that it made much sense...frankly, leaving Boston to return to college makes much more sense, to me at least.

The college game has changed in that it is more like the professional game, so that is not an issue or concern, never mind that he was schematically ahead of most already when he was in college basketball.

He would not have any concerns about Purdue/Painter, especially at IU with the resources available, and, recruiting would most definitely not be an issue for him...again, especially at IU.

I don't think that they are being compared to him, but rather, what was accomplished by him. There are no coaches in the game that are like him...just not something that works today.

He won't be worried about being compared to RMK...quite frankly, he won't be worried about anything...just as he was not worried about anything when he left Butler to take the Celtics job.

He is a great coach...at any level...but, he was maybe the best in the game when he left college basketball, and, he is better now as a coach...if he were to return to college basketball, he will have great success...wherever it is.
I think that's all speculation. He might be, but the game has definitely changed and so has Brad. I just don't feel the drive for college isn't for him. Maybe, I'm completely wrong but to think IU is the driving force for a return is just speculation to me.

Speculation was UCLA offered at around 3 Million. There were also a few others..UCLA being the biggest and he signed the extension at Butler.
Stevens is not someone that is motivated by money certainly...it is why he stayed at Butler...and likely would have stayed for that matter. He got what he deemed a once in a lifetime opportunity, and, one that intrigued him...very much so at the time...just as the IU job and a return to college basketball may at this time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT