ADVERTISEMENT

Catchings Reopens Recruitment

We will miss Catchings. He is probably(or should be) a 2-year player in college and will excel at this level. This one hurts…probably makes recruiting class at #10 about right whereas w/Catchings top 5. We could have been FF4 material…I doubt it now. Sweet 16 ceiling now. He is a talent that current team does not have…spin it how you want…but Catchings is a Big loss! He would have been the best talent on the team…even as a freshman.

Last edited:
We will miss Catchings. He is probably(or should be) a 2-year player in college and will excel at this level. This one hurts…probably makes recruiting class at #10 about right whereas w/Catchings top 5. We could have been FF4 material…I doubt it now. Sweet 16 ceiling now. He is a talent that current team does not have…spin it how you want…but Catchings is a Big loss! He would have been the best talent on the team…even as a freshman.

Don't like talent going out the door.....but perhaps if this is his attitude, he would have ruined team chemistry?.....and thus no FF anyway?

Or it solves our scholarship problem, gets rid of a guy who wanted a guarantee to start which would have caused locker room problems, and opens up more playing time for guys who have bought into Painter’s system. Super talented but no one is above the program and when he didn’t like it he bolted.

If UConn has a spot…he might end up there and the Huskies win back-to-back-to-back under Hurley who is not leaving Storrs, CT for smell A.

GK1tinNWkAAk7Jt
I just threw up in my mouth a little

I’m sure this is huge news on the Indinia board, where most posts are about Purdue. Will probably make a certain poster go crazy yet again. Still hasn’t returned to “twatter” after getting chased off and then trying to delete his posts, which are still available to read. Adorable!

I think TKR is still the starting center. This does open up minutes at 3 and 4 spots for sure.

I suspect we start the season TKR Heide Loyer Smith and maybe Colvin at 3. I suppose now we could also see TKR and Furst with Heide Loyer and Smith. I do think Loyer has an easier path to staying the starter because Colvin can play the 3 more now and there won't necessarily be as much head to head friction for one spot between them because Catchings won't be here to suck up those minutes at the 3.

The frosh will definitely get their chances though and the end of the season could be a variety of outcomes.

Heide and Waddell will play the 3
I believe Heide will see more time as the 4 . Jacobsen will not start. TKR wants to play the 5 and fits more naturally. Curious to see if Waddell can break into the rotation. I believe Colvin will pick up big minutes at the 3 without catchings with some at the two. Harris can help 1-3. Cox as well.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
That wont matter. Anywhere he wants to go will find a way to make it work.
Yep and they have to guarantee he will start (if rumors are true). So he will either be upset or other players will be upset (if he goes somewhere that already has a lot of good players). Of course he could go somewhere that’s not good and it won’t matter.

I believe Heide will see more time as the 4 . Jacobsen will not start. TKR wants to play the 5 and fits more naturally. Curious to see if Waddell can break into the rotation. I believe Colvin will pick up big minutes at the 3 without catchings with some at the two. Harris can help 1-3. Cox as well.
TKR and whomever is the other front court mate will be interchangeable IMO. TKR will be our guy down low. Front court is jam packed with TKR, Furst, Berg, Jacobsen and Burgess.

Heide is an undersized four and not sure he can guard bigger guys, if he can, great…gives us a small ball option and just a different look. But I think he will play more 3. Myles will play the 2 and 3…maybe eventually take loyers spot but I assume will see major mins combined at the 2 and 3. Harris will be in the mix for rhe 1-3 and maybe cox will get some mins at the 1-3 too.

Think both play the 3 and 4 if needed. Purdue has lots of guys that slot in at 2 spots.
5 guys at the 4 and 5 spots combined. I’m not sure Waddell and Heide can guard post centric 4s. Hope I’m wrong tho…see them getting more mins at the 3

Since he left AND Chase Martin left, does that give us one free scholarship or are we full still?

Since he left AND Chase Martin left, does that give us one free scholarship or are we full still?
Chase wasn’t on scholarship.

Not sure with Catchings departure if that puts us under 13. I saw over social media that the scholarship problem was fixed last week before catchings did that. Not sure if this is what was meant by that or if someone went to walk on status and therefore, we now have 12. That part is not clear. Again, I’d assume we are at 13 still, but not 100% sure.

Illinois would be another good spot. Replace Coleman at the 4.
That's my prediction. They tampered with Storr. Probably offered a bag to Kanon because their roster sucks.

I'm bummed about losing him. I've kept mouth shut because I don't like to trash Purdue kids, but he obviously has an attitude/ego problem if you've watched any games. Huge talent though. I was hoping it would work out.

Last edited:
Reactions: oldboiler52
That's my prediction. They tampered with Storr. Probably offered a bag to Cannon because their roster sucks.

I'm bummed about losing him. I've kept mouth shut because I don't like to trash Purdue kids, but he obviously has an attitude/ego problem if you've watched any games. Huge talent though. I was hoping it would work out.
His mom did play there…but they brought in a lot of transfers. I think it’d disrupt the locker room but who knows.

Illinois would be another good spot. Replace Coleman at the 4.
Coleman didn’t play the four. He was the five. Guerrier was the 4.

Ben Humrichous (Evansville), Ty Rodgers and Carey Booth (Notre Dame) and even Morez Johnson getting a few minutes ant the four although he will get most of his minutes at the five backing up Ivisic. Good chance Humrichous is the leading scorer.

Illinois is trying to get Will Riley but I don’t see them no adding anyone else if they don’t get him.

That's my prediction. They tampered with Storr. Probably offered a bag to Kanon because their roster sucks.

There was no tampering with Storr. Lol One guy made that up. No reason to tamper in this day and age.

The Illinois roster is better than you think. Deep and athletic with shooters. Big Ten title contender, imo. I guess we will see.

There was no tampering with Storr. Lol One guy made that up. No reason to tamper in this day and age.

The Illinois roster is better than you think. Deep and athletic with shooters. Big Ten title contender, imo. I guess we will see.
I think they will be better in 25-26 year with those guys. I didn’t think they’re as good as all the Illinois fans think they are. Lot of new faces. Took TSJ one full year in that system to be really good and I don’t see anyone that can score like him/get downhill. They all have to learn a new system. If they all stay for the following year, then they’ll be pretty good.

Reactions: Roeder
More minutes for Jack! who played the 4 last night for Indiana senior all-stars vs JR's. Flory Bidunga was top scorer with 34 meanwhile our boy Jack added 19 while playing limited minutes he shot 70% including 5of 8 from three. At 6'6 he is the same size as Mason. Two of his shots were from deep just jaw dropping and over Matt Sisley who looked to be the same size as Jack.
Thought Sisley looked a couple of inches taller. Gotta say I like Mullins based upon one game...mostly due to versatility and athletic ability. Sisley is a stud, but "maybe" easier to duplicate in another than Mullins...again on ONE game that can be very misleading...

Chase wasn’t on scholarship.

Not sure with Catchings departure if that puts us under 13. I saw over social media that the scholarship problem was fixed last week before catchings did that. Not sure if this is what was meant by that or if someone went to walk on status and therefore, we now have 12. That part is not clear. Again, I’d assume we are at 13 still, but not 100% sure.
There was a rumor Benter was going walk on and NIL but it was just a rumor, no real confirmation.

For whatever reason, I am not too upset about this news. It will open up an extra slot for 25 and I still love the class that Painter has coming in this fall.

If the rumor is true and Catchings wanted PT promises, Painter was right not to budge and it will benefit the team that he stayed true to his promise to the other players that playing time is earned.

We'll see. The two Croations need to be All B1G superstars for Illini to contend. If Ben Humorochos is the leading scorer they are in trouble.

That roster still needs an alpha like Catchings on the wing who can get their own bucket IMO.

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00

Nobody cares

• Love
Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
I think it’s more about the position than the playing time. I believe he wants to play the 3 rather than the 4. And in his conversation with Painter, painter told him he plans to stick with using guards at the three and he was going to have to share the 4 with Tkr and Jacobson will start at the 5.

The timing of this seems to coincide with Jacobson’s recent success at the under 19 games. With Jacobson’s increased playing time, tkr remains at the 4. And Catchings loses out.

I personally would have liked Catchings to start at the three. But that doesn’t look like painter’s plan.

And thus Catchings says, I’m outta here.

Would it have been so bad if painter changed his offense to have a real forward? I guess if he did, Myles and Harris would be upset and leave

Reactions: Ajas0810
I think it’s more about the position than the playing time. I believe he wants to play the 3 rather than the 4. And in his conversation with Painter, painter told him he plans to stick with using guards at the three and he was going to have to share the 4 with Tkr and Jacobson will start at the 5.

The timing of this seems to coincide with Jacobson’s recent success at the under 19 games. With Jacobson’s increased playing time, tkr remains at the 4. And Catchings loses out.

I personally would have liked Catchings to start at the three. But that doesn’t look like painter’s plan.

And thus Catchings says, I’m outta here.

Would it have been so bad if painter changed his offense to have a real forward? I guess if he did, Myles and Harris would be upset and leave
Wole, it’s been reported he left because of not being guaranteed to start. Whether it was at either the 3 or 4 doesn’t matter.

Wole, it’s been reported he left because of not being guaranteed to start. Whether it was at either the 3 or 4 doesn’t matter.

Which I don't get how he gets to this point and just now realizes Painter doesn't do that, but I'm not 17 or 18 with guys I'm playing with getting guarantees who probably aren't as good/talented as Kanon so what do I know.

Which I don't get how he gets to this point and just now realizes Painter doesn't do that, but I'm not 17 or 18 with guys I'm playing with getting guarantees who probably aren't as good/talented as Kanon so what do I know.
Yeah not sure either. I’m pretty sure paint is not the type of coach to lie about PT to a recruit to just get him to commit. (Speculating) I wonder if someone was in his ear about the playing style of Purdue and freshman aren’t always guaranteed to play right away OR he doesn’t want to do the school part and just wants to hoop. So I wonder if he goes back to OTE (which is not great for his development) and gets paid more money. I looked (quickly) and OTE doesn’t provide great visibility into what the players get paid but a few guys said they were getting paid around $600k-$1.2M.

If he doesn’t go that route and he goes somewhere that guarantees him a starting spot…he will either be displeased when he doesn’t start or if he does, the other players who were told they’d get PT to transfer there will be upset for not getting the mins they were promised.

Would have been cool to see how he fit in the system and what he could do for Purdue, but this now allows others to have the spot light and more PT. Excited for Colvin and Heide and the Frosh and well, ok…the whole team and how it’ll look post Zach 😂

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT