ADVERTISEMENT

Carson destroying his opportunity to go pro

He is the only guy we have Who can create. He needs to pretty much score 30 a game for us to be good. We are extremely offensively challenged against better teams.

Carsen has no offensive weapons to play with. Nojel and Grady can't shoot. Cline, EB, and Sasha are slow so its hard for them to get open. Haarms isn't offensively skilled. It's like 1 versus 5 out there. I would argue the opposite. Carsen won't be back because he has no one to play with.

Carsen has no offensive weapons to play with. Nojel and Grady can't shoot. Cline, EB, and Sasha are slow so its hard for them to get open. Haarms isn't offensively skilled. It's like 1 versus 5 out there. I would argue the opposite. Carsen won't be back because he has no one to play with.

Obviously, Matt Painter is going to remain our HC. We need better assistant coaches. Time has run out for Gary & Brantley.

Reactions: Boiler Buck
He's pressing and trying to do too much. I don't think its necessarily because he's selfish, but he is trying to be superman. It is disrupting the flow of the offense.

Has anyone else noticed that his body language on the court seems a little off this year? He is tough as freaking nails and such a talent - I hope he gets this figured out this year.

None of us has any clue about the performance of the assistant coaches. We can generally judge Painter based on wins/losses and overall recruiting, but we have no clue how the assistants perform behind the scenes.

I think WHEN Wheerler is inserted into the starting line up, he will take a lot of pressure away Carsen. He may be another 3 point threat.

Reactions: LionBulldog83
Trust me, he will be back next year, he is not a facilitator on offense. Too many Errors, very little assists. Not a team player at all. (all about "I") It hurts to see him do this to himself.
NBA scouts recognize better than anyone the lack of supporting cast that Carsen has this year.

Trust me, he will be back next year, he is not a facilitator on offense. Too many Errors, very little assists. Not a team player at all. (all about "I") It hurts to see him do this to himself.
I don't know if we have a Carsen problem or a lack of talent problem. However, it is definitely up for discussion at this point.

Those without an agenda realized this, and this team still has plenty of season left to get better......but the haters are having their day.
That's just it. This team can only get better if you play the players that can get better. Eifert is plain and simple as good as he will ever be. EB is as good as he will ever be. Haarms at this point seems to be as good as he will ever be. Whenever you have a young team, you have to allow the young players to play through their mistakes so they learn. This allows your team to peak towards the end of the season rather than the early part of the season. It's almost like Painter is focused on winning every preseason game and loses focus on the big picture of having your team peak tournament time.

That's just it. This team can only get better if you play the players that can get better. Eifert is plain and simple as good as he will ever be. EB is as good as he will ever be. Haarms at this point seems to be as good as he will ever be. Whenever you have a young team, you have to allow the young players to play through their mistakes so they learn. This allows your team to peak towards the end of the season rather than the early part of the season. It's almost like Painter is focused on winning every preseason game and loses focus on the big picture of having your team peak tournament time.
So are you saying do not play Haarms, Grady, or Phil? Really?

Not necessarily, but I would make sure the young players get their share of minutes. You gain nothing by playing Eifert. He is outmatched against the top teams so you will not win with him in the tournament.

C
Not necessarily, but I would make sure the young players get their share of minutes. You gain nothing by playing Eifert. He is outmatched against the top teams so you will not win with him in the tournament.
Could it be a “win as many pre-conference games as I can to up my chance of making the tourney even though my chances in the tourney may be lower because I failed to develop younger talent during pre-conference games” thing?

I'm sure that's part of it, but this team isn't going far in the tournament if it makes it. This is a rebuilding year so play the players that have the most potential. Maybe next year or the year after, the team will be something special. If the goal/expectation isn't to compete for championships every year, then you need to build and pick the years that you do.

Reactions: DannyGranger
Through thick & thin, Pit. That said, I think most fans realize (d) this could be a tough year , considering graduating 4 starters.

I agree about your post. Why don't some of the negative nellies let these young players play for awhile and get Div 1 college basketball under their feet. Before trashing this team. Michigan has been playing as well as anyone in the nation.

Simpson is the best defensive PG in the nation. He will be okay....unless he is playing Simpson ;)

Personally I think I could develop an offense that would turnb Nojel into a consistent scorer. He is by far the best ball handler.

I have to agree with some of the negative thoughts toward Boogie on this only for the simple fact that his play is hurting the team at this point.

He is near the bottom in terms of +/- on defense and it shows with him being out of position and not staying in front of his man when they have the ball. He is putting the defense in a bind frequently that has lead to easy shots for the other team.

On offense, you can’t have Cline hitting shots at the clip he is while allowing Boogie to take 21 shots. Nobody else on the team against UM took more than 8 I believe. Boogie HAS to realize that he needs to defer more and know he is going to get the ball back if the team can’t find a good shot or the clock is getting low.

The best sequence of basketball I have seen this year was in the first half against VT when Boogie was on the bench. The team extended the lead out to double digits while making cuts and back door passes look very easy. This was because the ball was moving on offense and guys were moving without the ball.

I’m not saying he should be benched or have his minutes reduced...he needs to get his teammates involved more and that can happen through better ball movement. He also needs to play through his defense...something CMP has frequently mentioned.

I have to agree with some of the negative thoughts toward Boogie on this only for the simple fact that his play is hurting the team at this point.

He is near the bottom in terms of +/- on defense and it shows with him being out of position and not staying in front of his man when they have the ball. He is putting the defense in a bind frequently that has lead to easy shots for the other team.

On offense, you can’t have Cline hitting shots at the clip he is while allowing Boogie to take 21 shots. Nobody else on the team against UM took more than 8 I believe. Boogie HAS to realize that he needs to defer more and know he is going to get the ball back if the team can’t find a good shot or the clock is getting low.

The best sequence of basketball I have seen this year was in the first half against VT when Boogie was on the bench. The team extended the lead out to double digits while making cuts and back door passes look very easy. This was because the ball was moving on offense and guys were moving without the ball.

I’m not saying he should be benched or have his minutes reduced...he needs to get his teammates involved more and that can happen through better ball movement. He also needs to play through his defense...something CMP has frequently mentioned.

Spot on. Our offense is designed to be as difficult to guard as Michigan’s offense...but Michigan doesn’t have a guy who the ball sticks. If Carsen would start playing within the offense, our offense could be extremely difficult to stop.

Defensively he’s giving half effort. It’s up to a coach to set the tone of the team by how he coaches a star player. If Painter isn’t willing to make an example of Carsen, than this team goes nowhere.

I still believe this team can be a tough out come March when our youngsters become more consistent, but that won’t matter until Carsen starts playing for the team and not for himself.

Reactions: northside100
Spot on. Our offense is designed to be as difficult to guard as Michigan’s offense...but Michigan doesn’t have a guy who the ball sticks. If Carsen would start playing within the offense, our offense could be extremely difficult to stop.

Defensively he’s giving half effort. It’s up to a coach to set the tone of the team by how he coaches a star player. If Painter isn’t willing to make an example of Carsen, than this team goes nowhere.

I still believe this team can be a tough out come March when our youngsters become more consistent, but that won’t matter until Carsen starts playing for the team and not for himself.
Painter sat him yesterday more than any other game this year, so, I think he agrees. Carsen absolutely has to do less to do more, but the players on the floor need to be more aggressive as well to pick up the slack. I am not sure how much set offense we run, I assume most times with the ball in the half court start off with a set, but after the options are ran through without a shot, it turns to one on one instead of the motion we ran in the past. Perhaps there is a trust issue among the team or perhaps Carsen gets fed up with no one else scoring and decides to take it upon himself. Either way, it works well against teams with less talent, but flops against teams well coached and Belien has our number. Why we continued to switch when it was obvious we were creating mismatches all across the court is beyond me? I don’t know how many times we ended up with Haarms or EB on a guard and Carsen or Nojel guarding the bigs...but it was a lot.

Painter sat him yesterday more than any other game this year, so, I think he agrees. Carsen absolutely has to do less to do more, but the players on the floor need to be more aggressive as well to pick up the slack. I am not sure how much set offense we run, I assume most times with the ball in the half court start off with a set, but after the options are ran through without a shot, it turns to one on one instead of the motion we ran in the past. Perhaps there is a trust issue among the team or perhaps Carsen gets fed up with no one else scoring and decides to take it upon himself. Either way, it works well against teams with less talent, but flops against teams well coached and Belien has our number. Why we continued to switch when it was obvious we were creating mismatches all across the court is beyond me? I don’t know how many times we ended up with Haarms or EB on a guard and Carsen or Nojel guarding the bigs...but it was a lot.
The guys are running the offensive sets they are being told to run. There are designed plays or set plays for mostly 2 ppl. Haarms and Evan just sets screens Nojel just runs the offense so yeah it looks like others are not being aggressive enough on the offensive side when that isn’t the case. Belein plays through his guard and his shooters and mich got plenty of them but the entire 5 players who are in the game gets to have plays ran for them. They spread the court out wide and whoever has the ball in there hands has 2 options score or pass to the other shooter Purdue offense has no balance. Belein plays through Simpson strengths bcuz he isn’t a shooter either so what does he do set high ball screens for him with Teske than Simpson has the freedom to operate to score by getting to the basket or finding his open shooters. No matter Nojel lack of confidence to shoot the ball he’s a play making guard he needs freedom of movement to be able to make plays for himself and his teammates and if he was given the freedom like Simpson with the shooters we have the offense will balance out.

Reactions: since1980
Exactly. This negativity, though quite becoming, is just not working. Gotta back the team you love!

The joke is that you aren't allowed to have even a stretch of 1 season not be great - against top 25 teams. Now when you lose to a top 10 team on the road, you are a bad coach.

Purdue fans have been spoiled.

In the past 4 years, we've lost a total of 6 games by 10 points or more - several of those against top 10 teams.

IU has lost 9 times by 10 points or more - since last season.

Calm the F down people. I can't imagine if you were held to such standards in your own job.

Reactions: ejs1111 and mathboy
The joke is that you aren't allowed to have even a stretch of 1 season not be great - against top 25 teams. Now when you lose to a top 10 team on the road, you are a bad coach.

Purdue fans have been spoiled.

In the past 4 years, we've lost a total of 6 games by 10 points or more - several of those against top 10 teams.

IU has lost 9 times by 10 points or more - since last season.

Calm the F down people. I can't imagine if you were held to such standards in your own job.
Agree but I think it’s more forward looking than that. Some folks see a downward trajectory due to recruiting misses, and that might lead to an even worse season next year, without Carsen and Cline.

You combine that with IUs resurgence in instate recruiting with a new coach, and it could possibly mean a few lean years even beyond that.

I completely agree. People stated last year that we had good freshman coming in with Hunter, Williams, and we had good redshirt freshman with Sasha and Wheeler. The problem is that none of those are significant contributors so people are concerned that next year and after are going to be rough years. The recruits that Painter is able to get aren't players that can make an impact as freshman. Even if he does, he doesn't play them enough to break a sweat.

Yesterday when Carsen was out around the 12:00 Min mark of the 2nd is when our offense cut it to 12....passed the ball, moved, played defense. This team is obviously different without him on the court. It's an interesting situation IMO. Our guys are so obsessed with getting him the ball it seems and just stands back.

I completely agree. People stated last year that we had good freshman coming in with Hunter, Williams, and we had good redshirt freshman with Sasha and Wheeler. The problem is that none of those are significant contributors so people are concerned that next year and after are going to be rough years. The recruits that Painter is able to get aren't players that can make an impact as freshman. Even if he does, he doesn't play them enough to break a sweat.
I said last year more min more production Cline is a sample size Nojel is playing more more production maybe not offensively as of yet bcuz he’s being asked to run the offense but as you can see you play more you can do more. Poole Teske livers all was role players played limited min look what they all doing now. Wheeler Sasha hunter Tre will be productive once they get more min that’s how I see it.

Agree but I think it’s more forward looking than that. Some folks see a downward trajectory due to recruiting misses, and that might lead to an even worse season next year, without Carsen and Cline.

You combine that with IUs resurgence in instate recruiting with a new coach, and it could possibly mean a few lean years even beyond that.
Unfortunately I think you are spot on. I certainly don't understand why it's so hard to recruit for Purdue. There is something very wrong when 3 walkons and a transfer make up 30,% of the roster.

There is no question that Painter gets the most out of what he recruits. Probably few if any are better. Recruiting has to get a lot better or the disappointments in March will continue for the faithful.

Reactions: DAG10

Matt Painter's offense has never had the ball movement Michigan has. Our offense is always stagnant and Painter prefers dumping it to a big and let them try and score over the top of a set defender. John Beilien has always had one of the greatest offenses. I'm not saying that Carsen Edwards doesn't need to improve and make adjustments but so does everyone else. Please don't blame the whole thing on Carsen because even when he is sitting on the bench we still have glaring issues.

The HC hires his own assistants, just like he recruits his own players. I agree that we will keep Painter around, but the buck stops with him with regards to all coaching done for this team.
He hires his assistants, with a “salary cap” for the group. MSU outbid us for Fife, plain and simple.

You Sir should be a politician. You’re rational as hell!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT