ADVERTISEMENT

Cam Williams

After watching both play a couple of times this year, I would take Williams over Triplett and it's not even close.

the two biggest hurdles for Cam to come to Purdue is our lack of available scholarships and him qualifying academically.

it appears due to academic casualties, we may have a scholarship open. Although losing a 5th year senior doesn't open anything.

it also appears Cam has either qualified academically, or at least he is no longer worried about doing so.

I believe Cam prefers Purdue, but Brohm has to find space for him. I'm going to be bold once more and speculate one of our lower ranked current recruits all of a sudden has a change of heart and decides to decommit to attend a lesser school miraculously opening up a spot for Cam. or maybe one of our juniors decides to graduate in 3 years

the two biggest hurdles for Cam to come to Purdue is our lack of available scholarships and him qualifying academically.

it appears due to academic casualties, we may have a scholarship open. Although losing a 5th year senior doesn't open anything.

it also appears Cam has either qualified academically, or at least he is no longer worried about doing so.

I believe Cam prefers Purdue, but Brohm has to find space for him. I'm going to be bold once more and speculate one of our lower ranked current recruits all of a sudden has a change of heart and decides to decommit to attend a lesser school miraculously opening up a spot for Cam. or maybe one of our juniors decides to graduate in 3 years
Purdue does not have room. We have one available scholarship to give, and that is David Bell's. We'll get Bell and Williams will go to IU.

Purdue does not have room. We have one available scholarship to give, and that is David Bell's. We'll get Bell and Williams will go to IU.

According to this grid, we have 2 spots available.

https://www.hammerandrails.com/2018/12/10/18134135/purdue-football-recruiting-official-visits

They can only sign 25 for the 2019 class, but they can allocate early enrollee recruits to the 2018 class if there are fewer than 25 scholarship athletes remaining who were initially allocated to that class. JUCOs can be allocated to other classes as well if there's room under the 25 scholarship cap from that year. So, in other words, they can sign more than 25 this year. How many more is TBD depending upon how many spots in the 2018 class open up due to transfers, withdrawals, etc.

They can only sign 25 for the 2019 class, but they can allocate early enrollee recruits to the 2018 class if there are fewer than 25 scholarship athletes remaining who were initially allocated to that class. JUCOs can be allocated to other classes as well if there's room under the 25 scholarship cap from that year. So, in other words, they can sign more than 25 this year. How many more is TBD depending upon how many spots in the 2018 class open up due to transfers, withdrawals, etc.
2018 class had 24 signed commits.
2019 currently has 24
If you allocate GK back to the 2018 class because he is enrolling early, that leaves you 2 spots open. It just depends on where the staff wants to go with those last two (really one since Bell gets a spot if/when he wants to take it).

I believe this is how Williams is able to get to Purdue if his academics are in order.

I'm sticking to my bold prediction that a current lower ranked recruit mysteriously changes his mind and decommits to go elsewhere. We had several players do this last year to make room for better recruits.

I'm sticking to my bold prediction that a current lower ranked recruit mysteriously changes his mind and decommits to go elsewhere. We had several players do this last year to make room for better recruits.
Its not bold. Its been predicted here before.

Reactions: Purdue85
Scholarships aren't an issue unless there is a 3rd mystery recruit or a JUCO transfer we want to bring in. At the end of the day, it might just boil down to him wanting to, for whatever reason, go to IU instead.

He seems split and hopefully this weekend's visit can sell him on Purdue.

Scholarships aren't an issue unless there is a 3rd mystery recruit or a JUCO transfer we want to bring in. At the end of the day, it might just boil down to him wanting to, for whatever reason, go to IU instead.

He seems split and hopefully this weekend's visit can sell him on Purdue.
Theres one open spot and it is being saved for another recruit.

Nat - its my understanding that because Purdue only had 24 recruits in 2018 then as long as one of their 2019 commits enrolls for the spring semester that Purdue can sign 26 this year.

Nat - its my understanding that because Purdue only had 24 recruits in 2018 then as long as one of their 2019 commits enrolls for the spring semester that Purdue can sign 26 this year.
Depends. Do Grad transfer count against class limits?

early enrollees can count against prior year. I would assume we had at least 1 or two from last year that counted against the year prior to that. Meaning we can get David Bell then have room for Williams or whoever else it may be.

early enrollees can count against prior year. I would assume we had at least 1 or two from last year that counted against the year prior to that. Meaning we can get David Bell then have room for Williams or whoever else it may be.
I think that one was taken by Edwards.

LB Crishawn Long will be odd man out. Holt will want to keep Triplett based on better measurables, frame, grades and in-state importance. Oddly, Long has not received an in-home visit yet?

Its close there. The problem is the 25 limit.
I don't see the 85 as being an issue as there will surely be some attrition as there is every year at every school. I think a scholarship player this year is on target to graduate in 3 years this year and the speculation was that he was going to be moving on.

I don't see the 85 as being an issue as there will surely be some attrition as there is every year at every school. I think a scholarship player this year is on target to graduate in 3 years this year and the speculation was that he was going to be moving on.
Who? Trussel? He already announced.

Most guys wait until finals are in the books, Then they announce transfer, There will be more than just Trussel

Who? Trussel? He already announced.
Can't recall who it was but I do remember reading about it. Of course - Mr. Bigelow made the bold prediction that it would happen...after it had already been announced. That dude loves congratulating himself. LOL!

Reactions: Purdue85
Can't recall who it was but I do remember reading about it. Of course - Mr. Bigelow made the bold prediction that it would happen...after it had already been announced. That dude loves congratulating himself. LOL!
That one was obvious.

I think that one was taken by Edwards.
Yes grad transfers count. I forgot about that. But Plummer, Marks and Anderson were early enrollees in 2018, counting against 2017 (a class with even more early midyears). If Edward's takes one of those, there's still room for a 26 man 2019 class.

Put him on a track and field scholarship. Make him the 4th string shot putter and keep him in the weight room working on his “craft”

Yes grad transfers count. I forgot about that. But Plummer, Marks and Anderson were early enrollees in 2018, counting against 2017 (a class with even more early midyears). If Edward's takes one of those, there's still room for a 26 man 2019 class.
So for 2017 we brought in 3 grad transfers. Also, forgot about spencer evans. Again, that 25 number might be a hard limit.

So for 2017 we brought in 3 grad transfers. Also, forgot about spencer evans. Again, that 25 number might be a hard limit.
Yes, but we also had 6 early enrollees who count against 2016. There may be room for 26.

It’s been done before with track guys...

From the NCAA Scholarship Guidelines:
Not surprisingly, the practice occurred most often in football, basketball and a few other higher-profile sports. Therefore, the Association established the following simple rules (please note that I have limited my discussion to rules for sports that Texas A&M sponsors):
(a) In football, a counter who was recruited and/or offered financial aid to participate in football and who participates (practices or competes) in football and one or more sports (including basketball) shall be counted in the sport of football. A counter who was not recruited and/or offered financial aid to participate in football and who competes in football and one or more sports (including basketball) shall be counted in the sport of football;
(b) A counter who practices or competes in basketball and one or more other sports (other than football) shall be counted in the sport of basketball; and
(c) A counter who practices or competes in women’s volleyball and one or more other sports (other than basketball) shall be counted in women’s volleyball.

EXAMPLE 1: FOOTBALL & TRACK
FACTS:
Student-athlete X is on both the football and track rosters at Texas A&M. He is on a track scholarship. He was neither recruited nor offered financial aid by the Texas A&M football program, but he is considered "recruited" in track. X practices in football, but has not yet competed; however, he practices and competes in track.
QUESTION: Does X count in football or track?
ANSWER: TRACK. Because: (a.) X was neither recruited nor offered financial aid by football; (b.) X's financial aid is from track and (c.) X has not yet competed in football then X counts in track until he competes in football and then he will count in football and not in track.
If X had been recruited or offered financial aid by football at XU, then the answer would have been that the aid counted in football, as opposed to track -- even if X had not yet competed in football.

Full Information Link

2018 class had 24 signed commits.
2019 currently has 24
If you allocate GK back to the 2018 class because he is enrolling early, that leaves you 2 spots open. It just depends on where the staff wants to go with those last two (really one since Bell gets a spot if/when he wants to take it).

I believe this is how Williams is able to get to Purdue if his academics are in order.

Correct. And, if they lose any of the remaining twenty-four 2018 athletes to attrition of any sort, they can also be replaced by early enrollees from the 2019 class which would open up an additional spot for each one that is added up to the total of 25 for the 2018 class and 25 for the 2019 class. So, if they could have another couple of spots if players from the current list of twenty-four 2018 athletes move on.

Reactions: JohnnyDoeBoiler
It seems that we can always use a good LB but DUDES we need some DL help in a big way......

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT