ADVERTISEMENT

Butler

Ignacious McNutt

Sophomore
Aug 16, 2018
So I'll preface this with I hate the crossroad classic. It will never be a neutral court for us since all the IU fans hate us so much, that they come to the game to cheer against us.

That said, Butler will be a tough game to say the least but we've been in tougher. Nojel has had a break out game so it's time for Wheeler to do the same!

Well when I was a kid growing up Butler was just a warm up game. Never in my wildest dreams did I think Butler would be Equal or a better program then Purdue in basketball.

Reactions: Boiler8285
We figured out a lot for our team last year in the CC. The loss seemed painful at the time, but allowed us to see what Tre could positively add to the lineup. I hate our all time record, but love the event.

Let’s make it 3 in a row against them! Haarms stepped up after Haas went down in the Big Dance a couple years ago. We will need Tre to stay out of foul trouble with Haarms possibly out this game. They don’t have a dominant center which is good although Smits is coming back from injury.

I think one X factor may be that Butler just got Smits back .. it would be interesting to see he and Haarms match up

So I'll preface this with I hate the crossroad classic. It will never be a neutral court for us since all the IU fans hate us so much, that they come to the game to cheer against us.

That said, Butler will be a tough game to say the least but we've been in tougher. Nojel has had a break out game so it's time for Wheeler to do the same!
Purdue has almost annually had the better opponent in the event (be it ND or Butler). That said, Purdue has arguably been the best team in it several times as well, and, failed to play as such. It is something that sounds good, but, it has not been good for Purdue. It is anything but a neutral environment (essentially the fans of three of the four participants are anti-Purdue, never mind the vast majority of the fans that attend are IU fans), and, Purdue has been bad in it more often than not, usually coming into it off of Final exams week. I dread it the same as you do.

Purdue has almost annually had the better opponent in the event (be it ND or Butler). That said, Purdue has arguably been the best team in it several times as well, and, failed to play as such. It is something that sounds good, but, it has not been good for Purdue. It is anything but a neutral environment (essentially the fans of three of the four participants are anti-Purdue, never mind the vast majority of the fans that attend are IU fans), and, Purdue has been bad in it more often than not, usually coming into it off of Final exams week. I dread it the same as you do.
This is one game I almost always put as a loss for us, no matter who is on the court. Like you said it is pretty much a perfect storm against us.

I would really like to see the teams find a way to rotate home/away games instead of this non-neutral crap.

Edit: I had to look, we are 2 and 6 in this thing. So there is some credence to how we view this game.

Last edited:
Reactions: indyogb
Kind of off topic, but what would you guys say the fan breakdown in the Indianapolis metro is for college sports? My sister lives in Indy, but she says her sample size is biased because she works with a lot of IU grads.

I actually like the Crossroad Classic. There's been a steady increase of boiler fans over the past few years, and we've kind of killed the curse after a few recent wins.

And even if the crowds are rough, it gets used to what away games in conference play will be like (especially after Nebraska).

If Haarms is able to play or Hunter/Stefanovic have a good day I'd say we have decent shot at knocking off Butler.

I feel you, because I always dread the crossroads classic as well. If we play aggressive, we can win. They can shoot the 3 and they are an experienced team. Just need to play the way we can.

Does your sister own/manage a fast food restaurant?

Commercial banking. She’s an Illini fan like me, though, and doesn’t care about the cute obsession your fan bases have with each other. ;)

Anyone have any guesses on numbers? This has always been a pet interest of mine. I’d assume going in it’s about 50/50, but I have no idea.

Commercial banking. She’s an Illini fan like me, though, and doesn’t care about the cute obsession your fan bases have with each other. ;)

Anyone have any guesses on numbers? This has always been a pet interest of mine. I’d assume going in it’s about 50/50, but I have no idea.
I get it. Neither Northwestern nor Illinois have ever been consistently good enough to develop a rivalry.

This shocks me ... aren’t both campuses close enough? Are ND and Butler fans kind of “doubling” as IU bandwagon fans? Every time I’ve been in Indy, I’ve actually usually seen at least as much PU gear.
It's less to do about campus size, and more to do with fan base size. They have a bigger fan base, because they have more fans that never attended the school than we do. These are the "Walmart Gear" fans that are often referred to on here!

Yes and then IU fans have a reversible jacket that makes them ND fans. So you see what we are always up against there with the over abundance of toothless hilljacks cheering against us.

Guarantee at least Butler fans aren’t cheering for ND whenever they play Purdue or IU—so no, everyone's not ganging up on Purdue. I’d actually go as far to say to most Butler fans I know respect PU. Brad Stevens and Matt have a good relationship and Micah was a Butler AC before going to the Celtics with Brad.

63% IU, 20% PU, 15% BU and 2% ND.

Yes and then IU fans have a reversible jacket that makes them ND fans. So you see what we are always up against there with the over abundance of toothless hilljacks cheering against us.

Yes, the total should not equal 100% due to the reversibles.
Indiana 50%
Purdue 30%
Butler 25%
Notre Dame 25%

Guarantee at least Butler fans aren’t cheering for ND whenever they play Purdue or IU—so no, everyone's not ganging up on Purdue. I’d actually go as far to say to most Butler fans I know respect PU. Brad Stevens and Matt have a good relationship and Micah was a Butler AC before going to the Celtics with Brad.
wasn't Micah a Butler AC then a Purdue AC then back with Brad and the Celtics and now back with Matt and Purdue?

Reactions: tjreese
Pace of the game will be slow based on both teams statistics. Purdue tends to play well in that environment (e.g. UVA). Even without Haarms I think Purdue does well and pulls out a close win today. Boiler Up!

Pace of the game will be slow based on both teams statistics. Purdue tends to play well in that environment (e.g. UVA). Even without Haarms I think Purdue does well and pulls out a close win today. Boiler Up!
I think the score may be low, but look for Purdue to push it every chance it gets...but to play smart. Probe the D and take it when there. In what is expected to be a lower scoring game than many, does Purdue take the first good look like the Virginia game and if they do...do they stop if off? Hopefully, when in half court Purdue plays more inside out and Tre helps dictate the success of that as well as discipline by the perimeter. Obviously Nojel is better getting up and down...and could see Wheeler getting out for a bucket or two. Matter of fact...is Wheeler the X factor. His rebounding will be important and if he is on...it sure helps prevent the double on Tre that might take place otherwise.

Purdue can win this...just harder without Haarms.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT